PDA

View Full Version : Were the Chiefs closer to superbowl under Vermeil or Marty?

Eric
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I say Vermeil. Carl screwed up by giving him to much personel control. We screwed up the draft.

Chiefnj
06-28-2007, 02:30 PM
Marty with Joe Montana and the AFC championship game. Not even close. Marty was able to win a few playoff games back then. Vermeil couldn't sniff one.

Rooster
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Marty.... It's a no brainer IMO.

WARPARTY70
06-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Marty oh Marty

tooge
06-28-2007, 02:43 PM
No contest, Marty. Not to send you all into rehab (again), but without the ghost holding penalty on Manuski and the BS out of bounds call against TG in the endzone (actually if either one wasn't called) the chiefs win and go to the superbowl. Also the AFC title game in 93

HemiEd
06-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Marty with Joe Montana and the AFC championship game. Not even close. Marty was able to win a few playoff games back then. Vermeil couldn't sniff one.

That is an interesting take, what would "sniffing one" mean to you?

Being outscored by one score? Having a TD called back because they said Tony held? A missed FG?

Redrum_69
06-28-2007, 02:46 PM
I dont know

I think you need to create another thread about something that has been redone, reposted, and then another thread on top of that thats a poll...

Eric
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Vermeil short just a few defensive players.

Reerun_KC
06-28-2007, 02:47 PM
ONLY ONCE with Marty and that was because of Montana, not because of Marty... Thank God Joe was in town or we would of never made it past Pittsburg at Arrowhead that day....

Marty was and is still the biggest playoff joke in the history of the NFL...

DV? Nope not even close.. He screwed KC out of a legimate shot when he hired that asscap GROB....

Coogs
06-28-2007, 02:53 PM

FAX
06-28-2007, 02:55 PM
No offense, Mr. Eric, but this thread is depressing as heck.

Where is the new generation of Hank Strams?

FAX

ChiefsCountry
06-28-2007, 03:05 PM

And Marty was short a few offensive players.

Reerun_KC
06-28-2007, 03:07 PM
And Marty was short a few offensive players.

Along with missing a few to many brains cells to actually coach in the playoffs...

Spott
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Too bad Vermeil couldn't have been the offensive coordinator when we had Marty.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Gunther Cunningham might have been closer than both Marty and DV.....

Mr. Laz
06-28-2007, 04:23 PM
marty

but neither was as close as they appeared at the time.

TinyEvel
06-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I heard that Priest is still on the roster.

Brock
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Marty is cursed.

DTLB58
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Under Marty we went to the AFC Championship game.

Under Vermeil we didn't.

The Super Bowl is the game after the AFC Championship game.

Why are we asking this question again?

el borracho
06-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Marty's Chiefs were much closer (and closer more times) than Vermeil's Chiefs.

gblowfish
06-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Marty with Joe Montana and the AFC championship game. Not even close. Marty was able to win a few playoff games back then. Vermeil couldn't sniff one.Right on the money. We beat Buffalo, and we're in the Super Bowl. Haven't got that close since.

BucEyedPea
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Vermeil, definitely, definitely!

HemiEd
06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Gunther Cunningham might have been closer than both Marty and DV.....
Please explain, very curious how you could say this.

HemiEd
06-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Don't forget, Marty had twice as long . They both did a good job IMO.

If you want to bitch and complain about a coach, lets talk about Gun, Ganz, Mackovic, Levy and those guys.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Please explain, very curious how you could say this.

Sorry...just being sarcastic.

kcmaxwell
06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
short a few defensive players

HAHA!! roflmao!!! if i knew how to make the laughing smiley face guy, it would be here to!! heh

maxwell

Dayze
06-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Marty; with DV, the Defense was so neglected that I would cringe each time they took the field. Absolutely the worst defense I've seen. As elementary as Marty's offense looked at times, at least you could count on a turnover at a key time; or good ST's/field position for the offense to get a few points.

With DV's team, if the offense didn't score a TD each time out, I would basically give up any hope.

HemiEd
06-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry...just being sarcastic.

Oh, sorry meter was turned off.

Sanka
06-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Neither, we were never there.

ChiefaRoo
06-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Marty by far.

Chief Henry
06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Marty was much closer. But if Vermeil would have
cared an ounce about the defense he could have gotten us to the Big Game.

HemiEd
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Marty was much closer. But if Vermeil would have
cared an ounce about the defense he could have gotten us to the Big Game.

Dick shed many a tear over that defense.

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 07:57 AM
Regardless... Marty didnt get it done in KC, Washington and was ran out of SD when they realized that he was a playoff fraud...

To Bad it took the Chiefs 10+ years of Martys worthless crap to figure out he couldnt do it...

HemiEd
06-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Regardless... Marty didnt get it done in KC, Washington and was ran out of SD when they realized that he was a playoff fraud...

To Bad it took the Chiefs 10+ years of Martys worthless crap to figure out he couldnt do it...

Marty was not given a fair chance in Washington, Snyder was a ****ing idiot on that deal. Marty inherited a bigger mess DC, than DV did in KC.
Can you say a whole team full of overpaid has beens?!

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Marty was not given a fair chance in Washington, Snyder was a ****ing idiot on that deal. Marty inherited a bigger mess DC, than DV did in KC.
Can you say a whole team full of overpaid has beens?!

Okay Okay, I could of left Washington out of there...

Chiefnj
06-29-2007, 08:13 AM

Marty was a playoff fraud in SD? I recall the game being in the bag and a defensive player intercepting the ball and instead of falling on it to effectively end the game with a vicotry, he fumbled instead. Marty's fault?

htismaqe
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
It pains me to say it, but the nod goes to Marty.

It's not even a question.

Marty's team played in an AFC Championship game. Vermeil's team made it to the playoffs once and couldn't manage to force a punt.

Lzen
06-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Marty

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Marty was a playoff fraud in SD? I recall the game being in the bag and a defensive player intercepting the ball and instead of falling on it to effectively end the game with a vicotry, he fumbled instead. Marty's fault?

YOU tell me Chiefnj?

A coach that has beent to the playoffs as many times as Marty and can only compile a what 5-14 record? If that is the case, then alot of it is Marty's Fault...

Regardless, Neither Marty or DV could get it done in KC, so actually neither are better than the other....

LOCOChief
06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Even with Elvis we should have won that one, at home, I'll bet TG thinks that was the best shot. The best 2 teams in the league in the AFC west and Denver went on to prove it. Cold, too drunk on eggnog (I fell 5 rows before kickoff), the longest walk back to E ever, that day sucked !!!!!!!

LOCOChief
06-29-2007, 09:09 AM
Even with Elvis we should have won that one, at home, I'll bet TG thinks that was the best shot. The best 2 teams in the league in the AFC west and Denver went on to prove it. Cold, too drunk on eggnog (I fell 5 rows before kickoff), the longest walk back to E ever, that day sucked !!!!!!!

Marty is my final answer.

JakeT
06-29-2007, 12:29 PM
The correct answer to the question is Marty - but if you look at which Chiefs team was more capable of beating some of the Super Bowl Champs on a nuetral field I'd pick Vermeil.

Example -- Marty's Chiefs vs the 2007 Colts -- I think it would have been pretty much the same as Herm's Chiefs - conservative crappy offensive game plan would have given them no chance to win. Vermeil's Chiefs on the other Hand would have run with em in a shootout and had more of a chance to win.

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
If you think about it, There hasnt been a Coach in KC that had a legit shot at winning a superbowl since Hank Stram...

Who cares what Marty did? HE failed in the playoffs like he normally does.

Who cares what DV did? He failed in the playoffs as well...

The question that should be asked. Will Herm get it done or not?

htismaqe
06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
The correct answer to the question is Marty - but if you look at which Chiefs team was more capable of beating some of the Super Bowl Champs on a nuetral field I'd pick Vermeil.

Example -- Marty's Chiefs vs the 2007 Colts -- I think it would have been pretty much the same as Herm's Chiefs - conservative crappy offensive game plan would have given them no chance to win. Vermeil's Chiefs on the other Hand would have run with em in a shootout and had more of a chance to win.

Sorry but 3 INT's and a stepped-on foot >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> not forcing a single punt.

shyguyms
06-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Besides Hank Stram Marty is the best coach in Kansas City,
just like when he was in Cleveland it was all Marty's fault that Ernst Byner fumbled at the goal line right?
and with the Chargers did he throw the int or did he go in a hole and hide ? nah i think that was L.T.

Chiefnj
06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
If you think about it, There hasnt been a Coach in KC that had a legit shot at winning a superbowl since Hank Stram...

Did you follow the Chiefs when Montana was QB?

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Did you follow the Chiefs when Montana was QB?

Yep, Actually have all 3 playoff games during MONTANA's and Co. run through the playoffs that year...

Despite Marty, Montana and Co. did a pretty good job beating Pittsburg and Houston... IF Montana didnt get a concussion, He probably would of single handly gotten the jinx off of Martha's back....

Will give that to Montana, whom has been there and done that vs. a coach who has been there and choked on it...

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Chiefnj, if you are ever in OKC, lets break out the old tapes and some cold ones....

HemiEd
06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
just like when he was in Cleveland it was all Marty's fault that Ernst Byner fumbled at the goal line right?
and with the Chargers did he throw the int or did he go in a hole and hide ? nah i think that was L.T.

Can you snake bit? By a whole passel of snakes!

ChiefaRoo
06-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Marty has fooked up in the playoffs by being too conservative, going with the wrong QB etc. but to be fair if Ernest Byner and that D-back from Sandy Eggo would of just held onto the football he would of been thought of in a completely different way. I like Marty as a whole.

Reerun_KC
06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I like Marty as a whole.

I dislike Marty as a whole... There isnt one thing about Marty as a Head Coach I like...

milkman
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM

So Marty is the victim of bad luck?

As Vince Lombardi said, "Luck is the result of preparation and execution".

Marty has been "snakebit" as HemiEd said, because he has never really fully understood the importance of offense in the championship puzzle.

The old saying is that offense wins games and defense wins championships.

In order to win championships you have to win playoff games.

You have to score points to win those, and that is the job of the offense.

I actually believe that Marty was finally starting to get that, but he may have finally awakened to the truth too late.