PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Sonics to draft Kevin Durant

Coogs
06-28-2007, 03:04 PM
Portland it appears is set to take Oden, so that would mean Kevin Durant will be playing ball at the Sprint Center once the KC brass finish putting the full court press on the Sonics to bring them to KC!

SWEET!

ChiefsCountry
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Would be cool, but I think hockey is coming first.

noa
06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
I also hear the Chiefs are about to pull off to a Tom Brady for Greg Wesley trade

Coogs
06-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Would be cool, but I think hockey is coming first.

From a marketing standpoint, I would think selling a star like Durant would be much easier than trying to sell the NHL on the whole.

I'm sure the NHL has some hardcore fans around the KC area who are familiar with most of the NHL players. But I would guess most sports fans in general have no idea who plays on which team in the NHL, or what cities even have teams for that matter.

Durant, on the other hand, is nearly already a national media star that nearly every sports fan in America knows about.

JMO, but I would think from a marketing standpoint... Sonics are the team to pursue.

I'd be offering the Sonics the same deal we made Pittsburgh for the Penguins... maybe even a bit more if that is what it takes.

Fish
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
From a marketing standpoint, I would think selling a star like Durant would be much easier than trying to sell the NHL on the whole.

I'm sure the NHL has some hardcore fans around the KC area who are familiar with most of the NHL players. But I would guess most sports fans in general have no idea who plays on which team in the NHL, or what cities even have teams for that matter.

Durant, on the other hand, is nearly already a national media star that nearly every sports fan in America knows about.

JMO, but I would think from a marketing standpoint... Sonics are the team to pursue.

I'd be offering the Sonics the same deal we made Pittsburgh for the Penguins... maybe even a bit more if that is what it takes.

You're saying one NBA rookie would sell more tickets than an entire team full of NHL players?

That's crazy.... and I'd have to disagree that nearly every sports fan in America knows Durant.

Do you know much about professional hockey?

noa
06-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, there's no doubt that it would be great to land the Sonics and Kevin Durant. I just don't think its very likely that they'll end up in KC since the group that just bought the team is based in Oklahoma City.

DMAC
06-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm sure he doesn't.

I'm sure 9/10 people don't.

kcxiv
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I think with a new nba team, and Kevin Durant will do alot better then anyone in Hockey.

Gravedigger
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
You're saying one NBA rookie would sell more tickets than an entire team full of NHL players?

That's crazy.... and I'd have to disagree that nearly every sports fan in America knows Durant.

America loves superstars not hockey. Trust me that if Cleveland had a hockey team LeBron James woulda eclipsed their ticket sales indefinetly.

sedated
06-28-2007, 03:38 PM
I doubt the Sonics will have problems keeping the team once they have Durant and the ESPN hype that surrounds him.

and AEG (or whatever) has already said they would rather get an NHL team. fits KC's demographics better, and tickets are cheaper. I say f*ck the NHL

sedated
06-28-2007, 03:40 PM
um... yeah.

did you see the ratings for the Stanley Cup finals?

I can't name 3 hockey players, and I watch sports constantly

eazyb81
06-28-2007, 03:41 PM
I doubt the Sonics will have problems keeping the team once they have Durant and the ESPN hype that surrounds him.

This is the main point. Seattle should have no problem keeping the team now that Durant is coming.

svuba
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Here is a nugget of information about the NHL's overwhelming popularity:

The 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup final attracted 41 percent more television households in the United States than the 2007 Stanley Cup finals clincher.

ChiefsCountry
06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Whats tv ratings have to do with attedance in the stands? Thats all AEG is concerned about getting butts in the seats.

Fish
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm sure he doesn't.

I'm sure 9/10 people don't.

If Coogs or anyone else here has any hockey questions/confusion/curiosity... there are quite a few posters here that would be glad to talk your ear off about the sport, including myself.

Hockey is quite different from other pro sports. I've seen lots of people shun it because they don't understand it. And I've taken a few people who never understood hockey to a live game, and they had the time of their lives.

Go to a game with a hockey fan, have a beer, ask lots of questions, and there's a good chance you might like it...

Fish
06-28-2007, 03:55 PM
America loves superstars not hockey. Trust me that if Cleveland had a hockey team LeBron James woulda eclipsed their ticket sales indefinetly.

No.... hockey attendance is right on par with bball attendance. Some cities with both, hockey does better in attendance.

TV ratings do not equate to income.

the Talking Can
06-28-2007, 04:03 PM
people talk about hockey, but I still don't believe it exists...

eazyb81
06-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Whats tv ratings have to do with attedance in the stands? Thats all AEG is concerned about getting butts in the seats.

Agree, and an argument could be made that hockey was at it's all-time low this past year coming off the strike. Now that they have revenue sharing in place to help all teams, the sport should have a nice rebound over the next 5-10 years if the league increases it's advertising and awareness.

KCChiefsMan
06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
The Sonics would come to down here to OKC before KC

Mr. Laz
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
all depends on the cost vrs star power

the NBA has more stars and the game gets more exposure but it also cost 3 or 4 times more for tickets.

Mr. Laz
06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
not

Thig Lyfe
06-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Maybe, but does OKC have a rent-free arena?

KcMizzou
06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Petro talks like the Nashville Predators are all but a done deal.

Reaper16
06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
all depends on the cost vrs star power

the NBA has more stars and the game gets more exposure but it also cost 3 or 4 times more for tickets.
I thought they cost roughly the same amount of money.

Mr. Laz
06-28-2007, 05:41 PM
I thought they cost roughly the same amount of money.

i don't think so

the NHL just change the financial part of their sport.

i think the NHL is much cheaper now

sedated
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Petro talks like the Nashville Predators are all but a done deal.

i think they said the same about the penguins

Mojo Rising
06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
i don't think so

the NHL just change the financial part of their sport.

i think the NHL is much cheaper now

Locally the SJ Sharks tickets were more expensive the the GS Warriors.

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Petro talks like the Nashville Predators are all but a done deal.That would be very cool.

Mr. Laz
06-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Locally the SJ Sharks tickets were more expensive the the GS Warriors.
wow ... i'm in KC so i don't know the prices of either.

if both are close to the same then i think the NBA would be the better option.

Ultra Peanut
06-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm sure he doesn't.

I'm sure 9/10 people don't.Which is exactly why an NBA rookie would sell more tickets than a team full of NHL players.

And I like hockey.

KcMizzou
06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
i think they said the same about the penguinsWell, according to him... that was all part of the plan. (Providing some leverage for the Pens)

He made a pretty compelling arguement. I wish I had it to post here. I was at work and distracted... wouldn't really be able to do it justice.

He even mentioned that "Monarchs" or "Scouts" were early favorites for the new name.

KcMizzou
06-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Which is exactly why an NBA rookie would sell more tickets than a team full of NHL players.

And I like hockey.I'm 100% clueless when it comes to hockey, which is why I'd prefer the NBA.

However, I'm willing to learn.

Either way, I don't want to see that new arena sit empty for long.

Pitt Gorilla
06-28-2007, 07:58 PM
um... yeah.

did you see the ratings for the Stanley Cup finals?

I can't name 3 hockey players, and I watch sports constantlyI've loved the NBA for years and still watch just about every game I can. That being said, I'm much more excited about next year's NHL season than I am the NBA. Hockey is just an incredible sport to watch.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM

I know a bit about hockey. Hell, I even remember when the Chicago Blackhawks were pretty good. I watch hockey off and on when Stanley Cup time rolls around, but during the regular season.... even when hockey was on the TV schedules..... I watched no hockey. Didn't care too. And I am a huge sports fan.

Right now I know the Ducks won the Stanley Cup over Ottowa (sp), but I don't think I could name you one single player off of either team.

And while it appears we will wind up with hockey in KC over the Sonics, IMO, it is the wrong choice.

And while OK City would be the early favorite to bring in the Sonics, the new owners have been to KC for a look-see!

With Durant on board, the sell of that team would be easy in these parts.

And, yes, I still would assume that anybody in America who is a sports fan at all knows who Durant is, and that same sports fan would have trouble naming very many hockey players, and have a much harder time putting a name to a face.

Since KC will most likely land only one team for the Sprint Center, land one with the Superstar. That will be the one that is most likely to succeed.

Just my $.02

sedated
06-29-2007, 10:48 AM
"Monarchs" or "Scouts" were early favorites for the new name.

Monarch's would be cool.

But other than that, or something else with local significance, I'd rather they just stay the Predators

Fish
06-29-2007, 11:29 AM
I know a bit about hockey. Hell, I even remember when the Chicago Blackhawks were pretty good. I watch hockey off and on when Stanley Cup time rolls around, but during the regular season.... even when hockey was on the TV schedules..... I watched no hockey. Didn't care too. And I am a huge sports fan.

Right now I know the Ducks won the Stanley Cup over Ottowa (sp), but I don't think I could name you one single player off of either team.

And while it appears we will wind up with hockey in KC over the Sonics, IMO, it is the wrong choice.

And while OK City would be the early favorite to bring in the Sonics, the new owners have been to KC for a look-see!

With Durant on board, the sell of that team would be easy in these parts.

And, yes, I still would assume that anybody in America who is a sports fan at all knows who Durant is, and that same sports fan would have trouble naming very many hockey players, and have a much harder time putting a name to a face.

Since KC will most likely land only one team for the Sprint Center, land one with the Superstar. That will be the one that is most likely to succeed.

Just my $.02

Completely understandable. I'm different I guess, in that I'd rather watch hockey than several other sports I enjoy. I've been to quite a few games, which really solidified my fandom. As far as a live game, I think I'd rank hockey just below football in terms of game experience. Well above other pro sports that I've seen live.

We'll have to disagree with the Durant claim... but just for experimentation, I just went through the office(tech support, ~20 people) and asked everyone if they knew who Kevin Durant was. Then I asked if they knew who Sidney Crosby was. 4 people didn't know who either person was. Another 6 knew Durant. Another 4 knew Crosby. 4 people knew both. Slight advantage to Durant.

Not to say that speaks for everyone, but I found it interesting...

Infidel Goat
06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Either the Supersonics or the Hornets would be infinitely better than an NHL team.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Completely understandable. I'm different I guess, in that I'd rather watch hockey than several other sports I enjoy. I've been to quite a few games, which really solidified my fandom. As far as a live game, I think I'd rank hockey just below football in terms of game experience. Well above other pro sports that I've seen live.

We'll have to disagree with the Durant claim... but just for experimentation, I just went through the office(tech support, ~20 people) and asked everyone if they knew who Kevin Durant was. Then I asked if they knew who Sidney Crosby was. 4 people didn't know who either person was. Another 6 knew Durant. Another 4 knew Crosby. 4 people knew both. Slight advantage to Durant.

Not to say that speaks for everyone, but I found it interesting...

I know who Crosby is as well. Thing is, he is the face of the NHL right now. Durant is just comming out of college after 1 season.

Quick question for you. How many of the 20 claim to be sports fans? All 20, or just he ones who knew who Crosby and Durant were?

Chiefs Pantalones
06-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I really hope hockey doesn't come to KC. Hockey is gayer than buttsex.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 12:45 PM
FWIW, if and when Crosby came to town would probably be the only time I might be interested in traveling the 3 1/2 hours to KC to watch the NHL. There are many players in the NBA that I would enjoy making that trip to see, and if KC had a Superstar player as well.... Durant.... that alone might make the trip for a game worth the time.

Fish
06-29-2007, 12:46 PM
I know who Crosby is as well. Thing is, he is the face of the NHL right now. Durant is just comming out of college after 1 season.

Quick question for you. How many of the 20 claim to be sports fans? All 20, or just he ones who knew who Crosby and Durant were?

I didn't really ask people if they considered themselves sports fans... I know the ones who knew both would probably consider themselves sports fans.

Like I said, I don't expect that to be any basis for argument.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't really ask people if they considered themselves sports fans... I know the ones who knew both would probably consider themselves sports fans.

Like I said, I don't expect that to be any basis for argument.

Fair enough. I would consider most sports fans able to know both of those two.

Now the next most popular players in the NHL might be a bit tought for the average sports fan.

Gravedigger
06-29-2007, 12:53 PM
No.... hockey attendance is right on par with bball attendance. Some cities with both, hockey does better in attendance.

TV ratings do not equate to income.

I understand that you're a hockey enthusiast and that's fine and all but like soccer fans you need to just accept that hockey and soccer will never thrive with basketball and football in America. The ratings for hockey continue to go down to record lows because American cities keep getting the Stanley Cup. And the reason for those ratings is because the NHL has about a 75 percent Canadian viewing audience. The stereotype of Candians love hockey is almost as true as Germans and David Hasselhoff. Trust me when I say TV ratings equates to interest in a sport which equates to greater ticket sales. If you deny this then.... well you fail at basic economics. Basketball always has and always will have more of a fanbase in America over hockey. I guarantee that Kevin Durant would beat the ticket sales of the Kansas City Blades pt. II anyday.

tk13
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
I like both sports, but I do think hockey is better in person rather than on TV, and I definitely think the NBA is better on TV than in person. But I've never had anything but upper deck seats to an NBA game, so maybe I'm biased.

Anyong Bluth
06-29-2007, 12:56 PM
The deal with the Sonics in Seattle by getting a new arena through tax money is dead. Their initiatives failed numerous times, and in Oct (I believe) the new owner can file his intent to move w/ the NBA. There is a new group looking at the feasibility of building their own private arena in Seattle. An Indian Gaming group announced it a few days ago, but I've not heard any other information.

As for the Sonics coming here:

I would say it would be a lock if the new ownership wasn't from OKC and probably intent on moving them there.

The Ford Center in OKC is a decent arena, but chances are its going to have to seriously upgrade to be on par with what most franchises are expecting these days. In comparison to what the Sprint Center has to offer, it is very subpar.

AEG already has a lock on all the suites being sold out for whatever team moves to KC. An NBA team will have more financial backing both corporate and the fans in KC. I know OKC has some oil money, and would be the only Pro team in town, but long term, KC has a better chance of viability. Having Durant, should he pan out, might make this pointless b/c people will be coming either way to watch him be showcased, along with the stars on other teams when they come to town.

I think AEG may have a push for an NHL team based on their prior dealings, but if an NBA team w/ a potential Superstar is on the table, its hard to not see this as an opportunity to reap the benefits. AEG's deal with Boots having exclusive rights to own an NHL franchise in KC can be worked out in other ways. AEG isn't short on other options.

I would love to have the Sonics in KC. I just feel like I'll believe it when I see it.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
The deal with the Sonics in Seattle by getting a new arena through tax money is dead. Their initiatives failed numerous times, and in Oct (I believe) the new owner can file his intent to move w/ the NBA. There is a new group looking at the feasibility of building their own private arena in Seattle. An Indian Gaming group announced it a few days ago, but I've not heard any other information.

I would say it would be a lock if the new ownership wasn't from OKC and probably intent on moving them there.

The Ford Center in OKC is a decent arena, but chances are its going to have to seriously upgrade to be on par with what most franchises are expecting these days. In comparison to what the Sprint Center has to offer, it is very subpar.

AEG already has a lock on all the suites being sold out for whatever team moves to KC. An NBA team will have more financial backing both corporate and the fans in KC. I know OKC has some oil money, and would be the only Pro team in town, but long term, KC has a better chance of viability. Having Durant, should he pan out, might make this pointless b/c people will be coming either way to watch him be showcased, along with the stars on other teams when they come to town.

I think AEG may have a push for an NHL team based on their prior dealings, but if an NBA team w/ a potential Superstar is on the table, its hard to not see this as an opportunity to reap the benefits. AEG's deal with Boots having exclusive rights to own an NHL franchise in KC can be worked out in other ways. AEG isn't short on other options.

I would love to have the Sonics in KC. I just feel like I'll believe it when I see it.

Great post. And while OKC is in the drivers seat if the Sonics move, it is common knowledge the new owner of the Sonice has been to KC to check things out with regards to bringing the team here. And he was impressed with his visit, so there is a chance even if only slight.

With Durant now in Seattle, I would hope AEG would become a bit more serious in their attempts to lure the Sonics owner to bring his team to KC.

Coogs
06-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I like both sports, but I do think hockey is better in person rather than on TV, and I definitely think the NBA is better on TV than in person. But I've never had anything but upper deck seats to an NBA game, so maybe I'm biased.

I've been to neither in person. But I do know my 9 year old son would love to see some of the NBA stars up close. Durant being included. He is pretty pumped just knowing the is a slight chance the Sonics could potentially wind up here, and has no interest in the NHL. And yes he is only 9 and the NHL was dead for a better portion of his sports fan days, but for a 9 year old kid, he know more about sports than most adults.

tk13
06-29-2007, 01:14 PM
I've been to neither in person. But I do know my 9 year old son would love to see some of the NBA stars up close. Durant being included. He is pretty pumped just knowing the is a slight chance the Sonics could potentially wind up here, and has no interest in the NHL. And yes he is only 9 and the NHL was dead for a better portion of his sports fan days, but for a 9 year old kid, he know more about sports than most adults.
It's not bad, but to sit "up close" in the NBA, you are gonna be paying big money. More than baseball or football. Obviously people do it every single game, but I think sitting in the upper deck at an NBA game isn't nearly as rewarding as other sports, the floor is much smaller than any other sport and you feel kind of far away. But it's not horrible I guess. The thing I actually hate is that they play music and sounds and crap while the game is going on, it gets annoying. That doesn't come across very well on TV.

Fish
06-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I understand that you're a hockey enthusiast and that's fine and all but like soccer fans you need to just accept that hockey and soccer will never thrive with basketball and football in America. The ratings for hockey continue to go down to record lows because American cities keep getting the Stanley Cup. And the reason for those ratings is because the NHL has about a 75 percent Canadian viewing audience. The stereotype of Candians love hockey is almost as true as Germans and David Hasselhoff. Trust me when I say TV ratings equates to interest in a sport which equates to greater ticket sales. If you deny this then.... well you fail at basic economics. Basketball always has and always will have more of a fanbase in America over hockey. I guarantee that Kevin Durant would beat the ticket sales of the Kansas City Blades pt. II anyday.

Thanks for your uninformed, inaccurate, and closed-minded response. I'll remember your "guarantees"....

Fish
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Kansas City promised NHL team, sources say

Matthew Sekeres, National Post
Published: Friday, June 29, 2007

The National Hockey League was prepared to deliver a team to William (Boots) Del Biaggio and Kansas City's Sprint Center as part of a plan to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, sources told the National Post yesterday.

Del Biaggio, now the frontrunner to purchase and relocate the Nashville Predators, and Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the company that operates the Sprint Center, aggressively pursued the Penguins late last year, offering the team a rent-free lease in the new arena.

But sources said the league, which didn't want to lose a value market in Pittsburgh, asked the Kansas City investors to back off their chase of the Penguins while indicating to the group it would be next in line for an NHL franchise.

It is believed the commissioner and Leiweke, who was in England yesterday, had an informal arrangement that would have delivered the Predators to Del Biaggio and Kansas City had Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie not stepped in with a richer offer and plans to move the team to Hamilton. Del Biaggio has an agreement with AEG to own and operate an NHL team in the Sprint Center.

Yesterday, the Post reported that Balsillie's US$238-million deal to buy the Nashville franchise from Wisconsin businessman Craig Leipold was off and that the Predators owner was expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Del Biaggio, who earlier had claimed he was no longer pursuing the Predators.

"I don't want to officially comment because there's a long way to go," Del Biaggio told the Kansas City Star yesterday. "I don't want to get caught up in all this like Balsillie did, and [after] what happened to me in Pittsburgh.

"If Jim Balsillie falls out, I'm sure Craig is going to look at all his options. I think it's all speculation right now. The reality is it's going to be a process."

Del Biaggio, a minority investor in the San Jose Sharks, has made two runs at the Penguins, the first in 2005 and the second last fall when Balsillie was also in the bidding.

The first attempt was scuttled when the Penguins won the draft lottery and the right to select Sidney Crosby, which prompted owner Mario Lemieux to take the team off the market.

The latter attempt only failed because Pennsylvania lawmakers struck a deal with a Detroit-based casino to finance construction of a new arena, which the Penguins claimed they needed to remain in Pittsburgh.

Still, the Kansas City effort -- AEG was offering free rent and a 50% share of the management agreement for the Sprint Center --left commissioner Gary Bettman impressed.

"Kansas City put itself on the map as an attractive, viable place for a future franchise, be it the NHL or NBA," Bettman told The Star in March. "I can't speak for the NBA, but no doubt if we were considering a relocation or expansion ? we would have to consider Kansas City."

In dismissing Balsillie's bid for Del Biaggio's -- and apparently choosing Kansas City over Hamilton -- Leipold might have cost himself about US$50-million. The Nashvile owner has reportedly lost US$70-million on the Predators in 10 years.

One source suggested yesterday that Leipold might be willing to take the reduced price because he believes Del Biaggio's purchase can be processed more quickly than a deal with Balsillie, and that time could save him from covering the club's operating losses this season.

"We are currently free to explore any and all options regarding the sale of the Nashville Predators," a club spokesman said in a deal yesterday. " However, until and unless there's a binding agreement in place, we don't plan to comment on the status of the Predators' ownership.

Another questions surrounds the NHL governors, who must approve sales and relocation requests, and how they feel about the Predators' dropping price tag. Balsillie's US$238-million bid would inflate the value of every other team, and clubs might also be in line to have their credit lines increased because bank appraisals take the most recent sales prices into account.

picasso
06-29-2007, 02:15 PM

That is true. The Muckleshoot Indian Tribe has a large parcel of land that they own next to the Emerald Downs Horse racing track in Auburn Washington. The thing is it comes down to whether Stern will approve of them building an arena next to a horse track and the gambling connection that may come of it. I do not think it will happen but the Muckleshoot Indians have a ton of money as their casino in Kent is the largest of them all in the state.
I personally see the Sonics going to OKC. They had a great turnout when the one NBA team played there and the ownership is from there.
KC does need a basketball team though, they were stupid in ever getting rid of the Kings franchise.

Mr. Laz
06-29-2007, 02:19 PM
not very current ..... but

Here is how hockey compares to the other major sports (All prices in US dollars):

* NHL - $247.84 (2005)
* NBA - $263.44 (2004-05)
* MLB - $164.43 (2005)
* NFL - $321.62 (2004)

*The FCI includes: two adult average price tickets; two child average price tickets; four small soft drinks; two small beers; four hot dogs; two programs; parking; and two adult-size caps.

http://www.hockeydirt.com/2005/10/nhl_ticket_pric.html

suds79
06-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Sorry KC Fish but there's just no way around the fact that vast majority of Americans just don't care about hockey.

This might be hard for the hockey diehards to understand but it's just the truth.

Example: See NBC cutting away from an NHL playoff game for the pre-race festivities at the Preakness.

Fish
06-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Sorry KC Fish but there's just no way around the fact that vast majority of Americans just don't care about hockey.

This might be hard for the hockey diehards to understand but it's just the truth.

Example: See NBC cutting away from an NHL playoff game for the pre-race festivities at the Preakness.

Thanks for speaking for the vast majority of Americans.... I expect you have links to back up that broad statement?

And you guys keep going back to TV ratings as your only justification... when TV ratings are not where a team makes money. You're neglecting the viewership from Canada in those US TV ratings. You're neglecting the fact that money made in Canada from the NHL goes back to the American NHL teams as well. And if you included Canadian TV ratings with US TV ratings like they do for the box office, NHL has better ratings than NBA. Hockey Night in Canada has higher TV ratings than NBA on TNT.

And if you still want to argue.... look at the average attendance comparisons between NBA and NHL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

Hmmm..... doesn't seem that the vast majority of Americans are shunning NHL games huh??

But keep on keepin on with your uninformed opinions.....

Mojo Rising
06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I think both sports will be challenged to survive in KC. There are about 40 home games in each sport and ticket prices at about $50 each. That is a $2,000 commitment for 1 (not counting pre-season, parking, beer, food, soda, etc.) per year.

For it to work there needs to be enough businesses to not only buy the suites, but also lower bowl (pricey) tickets to hand out to clients.

The lesser expensive tickets can be sold with mini-packs.

My guess is that there aren't enough businesses to sink this kind of commitment to season tickets for either.

If a basketball team relocates they need to be very good to overcome KU and Larry Johnson like player personalities.

If it is a hockey team they will have to give tickets away to show people that live hockey is exponentially better than on tv like no other sport. In the show-me state I suspect people will 1st try to watch on tv.

The build it and they will come strategy might not work.

Logical
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
I think both sports will be challenged to survive in KC. There are about 40 home games in each sport and ticket prices at about $50 each. That is a $2,000 commitment for 1 (not counting pre-season, parking, beer, food, soda, etc.) per year.

For it to work there needs to be enough businesses to not only buy the suites, but also lower bowl (pricey) tickets to hand out to clients.

The lesser expensive tickets can be sold with mini-packs.

My guess is that there aren't enough businesses to sink this kind of commitment to season tickets for either.

If a basketball team relocates they need to be very good to overcome KU and Larry Johnson like player personalities.

If it is a hockey team they will have to give tickets away to show people that live hockey is exponentially better than on tv like no other sport. In the show-me state I suspect people will 1st try to watch on tv.

The build it and they will come strategy might not work.

Agreed that shiny new glass palace ain't going to be enough to make it all that different from the first time around for both leagues.

Mojo Rising
06-29-2007, 08:32 PM
The SJ Sharks have thrived off of Silicon Valley money. There is no other game in town and tons of corporate cash.

The A's recently tried to move down, but the Giants, being the Giants have claimed the rights. They blocked the A's move. The A's are trying to move close to the Silicon Valley now (Fremont.)

In the NFL a season ticket costs $700 and all of the games are on Sundays. Not on worknights.

Plus, KC is pretty spread out to expect people to travel so far so often to attend games. The people that would be the target season ticket holders are mostly in JoCo.

The wildcard is if they can get a championship team off the bat. That would go a long way to build loyalty.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
It makes too much sense for KC to get an NBA team, so it won't happen. Just like everything else in KC sports...it should happen...but it won't.

Pitt Gorilla
06-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Kansas City promised NHL team, sources say

Matthew Sekeres, National Post
Published: Friday, June 29, 2007

The National Hockey League was prepared to deliver a team to William (Boots) Del Biaggio and Kansas City's Sprint Center as part of a plan to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, sources told the National Post yesterday.

Del Biaggio, now the frontrunner to purchase and relocate the Nashville Predators, and Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the company that operates the Sprint Center, aggressively pursued the Penguins late last year, offering the team a rent-free lease in the new arena.

But sources said the league, which didn't want to lose a value market in Pittsburgh, asked the Kansas City investors to back off their chase of the Penguins while indicating to the group it would be next in line for an NHL franchise.

It is believed the commissioner and Leiweke, who was in England yesterday, had an informal arrangement that would have delivered the Predators to Del Biaggio and Kansas City had Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie not stepped in with a richer offer and plans to move the team to Hamilton. Del Biaggio has an agreement with AEG to own and operate an NHL team in the Sprint Center.

Yesterday, the Post reported that Balsillie's US$238-million deal to buy the Nashville franchise from Wisconsin businessman Craig Leipold was off and that the Predators owner was expected to sign a binding, exclusive deal with Del Biaggio, who earlier had claimed he was no longer pursuing the Predators.

"I don't want to officially comment because there's a long way to go," Del Biaggio told the Kansas City Star yesterday. "I don't want to get caught up in all this like Balsillie did, and [after] what happened to me in Pittsburgh.

"If Jim Balsillie falls out, I'm sure Craig is going to look at all his options. I think it's all speculation right now. The reality is it's going to be a process."

Del Biaggio, a minority investor in the San Jose Sharks, has made two runs at the Penguins, the first in 2005 and the second last fall when Balsillie was also in the bidding.

The first attempt was scuttled when the Penguins won the draft lottery and the right to select Sidney Crosby, which prompted owner Mario Lemieux to take the team off the market.

The latter attempt only failed because Pennsylvania lawmakers struck a deal with a Detroit-based casino to finance construction of a new arena, which the Penguins claimed they needed to remain in Pittsburgh.

Still, the Kansas City effort -- AEG was offering free rent and a 50% share of the management agreement for the Sprint Center --left commissioner Gary Bettman impressed.

"Kansas City put itself on the map as an attractive, viable place for a future franchise, be it the NHL or NBA," Bettman told The Star in March. "I can't speak for the NBA, but no doubt if we were considering a relocation or expansion ? we would have to consider Kansas City."

In dismissing Balsillie's bid for Del Biaggio's -- and apparently choosing Kansas City over Hamilton -- Leipold might have cost himself about US$50-million. The Nashvile owner has reportedly lost US$70-million on the Predators in 10 years.

One source suggested yesterday that Leipold might be willing to take the reduced price because he believes Del Biaggio's purchase can be processed more quickly than a deal with Balsillie, and that time could save him from covering the club's operating losses this season.

"We are currently free to explore any and all options regarding the sale of the Nashville Predators," a club spokesman said in a deal yesterday. " However, until and unless there's a binding agreement in place, we don't plan to comment on the status of the Predators' ownership.

Another questions surrounds the NHL governors, who must approve sales and relocation requests, and how they feel about the Predators' dropping price tag. Balsillie's US$238-million bid would inflate the value of every other team, and clubs might also be in line to have their credit lines increased because bank appraisals take the most recent sales prices into account.
Awesome.

Valiant
06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
That is true. The Muckleshoot Indian Tribe has a large parcel of land that they own next to the Emerald Downs Horse racing track in Auburn Washington. The thing is it comes down to whether Stern will approve of them building an arena next to a horse track and the gambling connection that may come of it. I do not think it will happen but the Muckleshoot Indians have a ton of money as their casino in Kent is the largest of them all in the state.
I personally see the Sonics going to OKC. They had a great turnout when the one NBA team played there and the ownership is from there.
KC does need a basketball team though, they were stupid in ever getting rid of the Kings franchise.

If I remember correctly KC never got rid of the kings..

But basically NHL and NBA will both not do great here unless they come in the first year and win a championship, then it will take corporate sponsers to still buy up all the seats to make the arena full... imo..

Mojo Rising
06-30-2007, 12:39 AM
There are too many hockey and nba teams.

Both leagues over-expanded. New Orleans, Charlotte, OKC, Nashville, KC will not support more pro sports than they have.

They should trim back the number of teams.

Seattle could support a team but they are too used to Microsoft and Starbucks supporting their lifestyle. Buck up Seattle and raise your hotel and rental car tax like every other city (Denver is the worse.)

Anyong Bluth
06-30-2007, 03:36 AM
There are too many hockey and nba teams.

Both leagues over-expanded. New Orleans, Charlotte, OKC, Nashville, KC will not support more pro sports than they have.

They should trim back the number of teams.

Seattle could support a team but they are too used to Microsoft and Starbucks supporting their lifestyle. Buck up Seattle and raise your hotel and rental car tax like every other city (Denver is the worse.)

Not true, we are talking about a winter sport. The Chiefs start in September, and the NFL has no worries about filling their demand. I know there are tickets available, but that's only because the Chiefs hold back a certain number season tickets before making single games available. There is zero worry about them not selling out or being on TV.

The Royals start in April and as of now won't even come close to bleeding their margins.

The NBA is a league that starts at a completely different time and KC can easily support that or an NHL team. The only other game that is of note is college basketball, and other than KU, its pretty minimal on that impact. If the Sonics came, you'd have Durant and a handful of role players drawing in fans. Add on top of it the number of superstars that would visit KC, and you are assured to make some sort of profit.

KC can easily support another sport. I don't think at this point it can take on 2 sports, but KC fans are more than willing to support their teams. IF you want to point to the Royals as a glaring spot of non-support, please take another look at the situation. David Glass was entrusted with the job of finding a new owner- yet, potential buyer after potential were shut down, and at the end of the day Glass bought the Royals for a paltry 96 million. I heard on the radio a few weeks back that after the renovations, the club will be worth an estimated 346 million. Ultimately, I am conflicted w/ Glasses actions. On one side you say he has offered an ultimate solution by trying to force baseball's obligation, but at the end of the day, the NBA gives teams very little teeth.

Mojo Rising
06-30-2007, 06:58 AM
Both are not winter sports. They start late fall and end early summer. If it was a winter sport then it would have a chance.

The last alternative sport to pack a house was the KC Comets in the '80's. Those tickets were much cheaper and there weren't near as many games.

Plus, the Sonics are a long way from a winning record. The Predators will make the playoffs but will not get far.