PDA

View Full Version : So I am in St. Louis for the first time ever...

pr_capone
06-29-2007, 07:01 PM
and damn this place is a shit hole.

The highways are damn near impossible to navigate, the roads are in terrible condition, and the majority of the buildings seem dilapidated and run down.

We have had fun though thanks to the suggestions members of the board have brought up. We visited the loop today and went to the Bud brewery as well as the Schlafly Tap Room.

Even picked up a case of oatmeal coffee stout for only $20.

Yesterday we went to a bar called Beale which is right next to Busch Stadium. There was a band there called Kim Masse and the Solid Senders who were amazing. What was cool was that she would get requests for songs the band did not know and they would just figure it out.

We are staying in Hazelwood in a little hotel called StudioPLUS and TBH, its not a bad little place for only $20 a night. There is nothing glaringly wrong with the place..... at least nothing a little air freshener could not take care off. :D

Bowser
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
That city has a definite funk to it.

SPchief
06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Did you piss on the arch yet?

VonneMarie
06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, St.Loser is pretty gh3y.

06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
If you go back to the loop, go here.

www.blueberryhill.com

Jenson71
06-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Charlie Gitto's!

Deberg_1990
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Did you visit East St. Louis yet??

RJ
06-29-2007, 07:51 PM
I like St. Louis.

I like Italian food on The Hill, I like the zoo, I like Cardinals games.

If you don't like big cities you won't like St. Louis but you won't like the other ones either. Big cities are loud, dirty, confusing, sometimes dangerous places. But I think that's offset by all the culture, entertainment, food, etc. that we can't get in smaller towns.

SPchief
06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Did you visit East St. Louis yet??

Everybody knows the best time to go to East St. Louis is after midnight.

Rain Man
06-29-2007, 07:55 PM
St. Louis is a Soviet city.

RJ
06-29-2007, 08:00 PM
St. Louis is a Soviet city.

You're thinking of St. Petersburg.

SPchief
06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
You're thinking of St. Petersburg.

No, I'm pretty sure St. Louis is one also.

SLAG
06-29-2007, 08:04 PM
I was there a few weeks ago..

Had a good time a trailhead in old st. charles thanks to stcchief for the GREAT! world famous trailhead nachos

Hammock Parties
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Wherever you go... Don't forget to watch your back!!!

Simply Red
06-29-2007, 08:13 PM
I like St. Louis.

I like Italian food on The Hill, I like the zoo, I like Cardinals games.

If you don't like big cities you won't like St. Louis but you won't like the other ones either. Big cities are loud, dirty, confusing, sometimes dangerous places. But I think that's offset by all the culture, entertainment, food, etc. that we can't get in smaller towns.
Really?

Atlanta is exceptionally clean. I/as do most consider it a big-city.

Rain Man
06-29-2007, 08:28 PM
No, I'm pretty sure St. Louis is one also.

Yep. It's Soviet. No doubt about it.

Bearcat
06-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I was there for the first game of the Royals series a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed (I've been there a few times, but never really spent time downtown)... and neither was a friend who is originally from Vegas.

Union Station was nice, and the atmosphere before the game was nice to see... but the dome doesn't seem to be on a street that I'd want to walk to my car on after a MNF game..... or Sunday afternoon for that matter.

It's funny I actually heard some talk about Chicago... it was almost like they laugh about how (supposedly) KC wants to be St. Louis, and then turn around and talk about how they want to be Chicago.

Did you piss on the arch yet?
Had the City Museum not been closed, we probably wouldn't have gone.... but, since we were there... :)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/ArchPeeing2.jpg

SPchief
06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I was there for the first game of the Royals series a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed (I've been there a few times, but never really spent time downtown)... and neither was a friend who is originally from Vegas.

Union Station was nice, and the atmosphere before the game was nice to see... but the dome doesn't seem to be on a street that I'd want to walk to my car on after a MNF game..... or Sunday afternoon for that matter.

It's funny I actually heard some talk about Chicago... it was almost like they laugh about how (supposedly) KC wants to be St. Louis, and then turn around and talk about how they want to be Chicago.

Had the City Museum not been closed, we probably wouldn't have gone.... but, since we were there... :)

LMAO awesome.

SLAG
06-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Did you get a Chiefs planet skin for your treo from Zepsinger?

Phobia
06-29-2007, 08:58 PM
We are staying in Hazelwood in a little hotel called StudioPLUS and TBH, its not a bad little place for only $20 a night. There is nothing glaringly wrong with the place..... at least nothing a little air freshener could not take care off. :D

Wow. Do they offer free shuttle to the coroner's office?

Rain Man
06-29-2007, 09:05 PM

I bet TBH stands for tuberculosis habitat.

pr_capone
06-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Charlie Gitto's!

I could fellate you for recommending that place. It was DAMN good... if not just a bit expensive.

Many thanks!!!!

pr_capone
06-30-2007, 09:19 PM

???

Looked up the stats for Hazelwood and everything seemed to be ok.

StcChief
06-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I could fellate you for recommending that place. It was DAMN good... if not just a bit expensive.

Many thanks!!!!Good. http://www.charliegittos.com/

"The Hill" has several. I like Zia's

BigMeatballDave
06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
The best description of most of the people there was given to me from a friend of mine who lived there for 4 years. They have an inferiority complex because they want to be like Chicago, but they have a superiority complex because they THINK they are better than KC.

Jilly
06-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I went to Nashville for a conference recently, on the way back we were stuck in St. Louis on those damn freeways for 2 hours. It f-ing sucked

StcChief
06-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I went to Nashville for a conference recently, on the way back we were stuck in St. Louis on those damn freeways for 2 hours. It f-ing sucked

40 (I-64) isn't the way to go now.... around on 255/270 to 40 W would saved that headache

They actually have AAA triptik online now showing construction.

Bugeater
06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
and damn this place is a shit hole.

The highways are damn near impossible to navigate, the roads are in terrible condition, and the majority of the buildings seem dilapidated and run down.

We have had fun though thanks to the suggestions members of the board have brought up. We visited the loop today and went to the Bud brewery as well as the Schlafly Tap Room.

Even picked up a case of oatmeal coffee stout for only $20.

Yesterday we went to a bar called Beale which is right next to Busch Stadium. There was a band there called Kim Masse and the Solid Senders who were amazing. What was cool was that she would get requests for songs the band did not know and they would just figure it out.

$20/night? You'll most certainly be killed by an axe murderer while you're sleeping at that price.

pr_capone
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM
$20/night? You'll most certainly be killed by an axe murderer while you're sleeping at that price.

LMFAO.... typo. $30, not that that is much better. lol

StcChief
06-30-2007, 11:41 PM
LMFAO.... typo. $30, not that that is much better. lol

The 'wood isn't the Hood but be careful around there. Don't go east or southeast of it....

pr_capone
07-01-2007, 12:19 AM
The 'wood isn't the Hood but be careful around there. Don't go east or southeast of it....

We are leaving in 8 hours so it is not a big deal. I was very watchful the entire time we were here and thankfully there were no problems to be had.

I did get out to East St. Louis but it was still day time. I have to thank my TomTom (GPS unit) for that one. LMFAO

All in all... it was a GREAT trip. I could not have been more pleased with how everything went. Tommorow before we leave we will hit a riverboat cruise down the Mississippi river for about an hour and then get on the road back home to Wichita.

We should be back home around 8-9 P.M. and just enough time to catch up on some tube courtesy of the DVR and off to bed. :D

BTW... if you dont simply LOVE musicals or Disney movies, don't bother with the Lion King. Cathy loved it but I could have found better things to do with my time. :D

Fairplay
07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree parts of St.Louis does suck. Run down and old. Other sections are decent.

Some people i know last year went to a Chiefs game coming east from I-70. So keep in mind they seen only from Blue springs- Independence to the stadium and a quick turn and see to downtown. They were not impressed at all with KC.

I don't blame them. When you only see one side of a town thats the impression you are left with. The east side (though not Lees Summit) is not that impressive.

In all fairness to any city i think you should check out more sections of it.