PDA

View Full Version : I'm Troubled

FAX
07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
No. Not like that, dudes and lady dudes

It's because the Monkees may not make it into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame due to their critics among the R&R "purist" crowd. Sure, they couldn't play worth a crap (with the exception of Nesmith and Davey's phenomenal tamborine technique), but a lot of rock stars appear to have limited musical talent. And, yes it's true that they were a manufactured-for-tv group and basically just ran around and mugged for lenses a lot. Still, I've researched this issue and there are, apparently, some compelling facts in their favor.

1. In the year 1967, if man was still alive, they sold more records than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, combined.

2. According to Billboard Magazine, "I'm a Believer" was the 5th biggest song of the 60s decade.

3. They were the 8th biggest selling band/artist of the 60s.

4. They are ranked 15th on the list of the most number uno albums with four.

So, what say you, Planeteers? What say you?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

TinyEvel
07-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I think DEVO should get in frist, the the Monkees can be let in. You know, following de-evolution and all, it make ssense that way.

Hydrae
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Purists be damned, they are certainly a big piece of R&R history and as such should be included in the Hall of Fame.

FAX
07-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, that's all well and good Mr. TinyEvel, but consider this important factoidism ... the album, "More of the Monkees" made the second biggest jump to Number One in history going from number 122 to number 1 in one week. Devo never did that.

Go Monkees!

FAX

The Franchise
07-01-2007, 12:16 PM
The Monkees were the first band that I ever really liked when I was a kid. They're also the first tape I ever bought with my own money. I say let them in.

TinyEvel
07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, that's all well and good Mr. TinyEvel, but consider this important factoidism ... the album, "More of the Monkees" made the second biggest jump to Number One in history going from number 122 to number 1 in one week. Devo never did that.

Go Monkees!

FAX

Perhaps, but DEVO basically invented a sound.

Easy 6
07-01-2007, 12:17 PM
I see your dilemma, but for me its hard to get too worked up over it when a bona-fide, 30 years & running, rock phenomenon like KISS can be shunned from induction.

They've sold eleventy-billion albums & their tours are top grossers every single time.

The Monkees were cool & as a kid i watched their show all of the time, but until KISS gets in they wont get much of my sympathy.

FAX
07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Perhaps, but DEVO basically invented a sound.

Okay, I can see you're going to be hard to convince, Mr. TineEvel, but this should do it.

Peter Tork is credited with the first use of a banjo on a pop/rock record (the Nesmith tune, "You Told Me"). Tork was then encouraged to carry on with his banjo playing by none other than the late, great George Harrison, himself. The only thing George ever told Devo was, "Your hats are stupid."

Go Monkees!!

FAX

FAX
07-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I see your dilemma, but for me its hard to get too worked up over it when a bona-fide, 30 years & running, rock phenomenon like KISS can be shunned from induction.

They've sold eleventy-billion albums & their tours are top grossers every single time.

The Monkees were cool & as a kid i watched their show all of the time, but until KISS gets in they wont get much of my sympathy.

I feel your pain, Mr. scott free. So if you don't mind, please take some ibuprofen.

It is clear that you know your Rock & Roll HOF problems and a poster has to respect that. However, please note that the Monkees charted four number 1 albums in one year. KISS never did that. Neither did those silly Devo people.

FAX

Jilly
07-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Yes.... but it's hard to justify kiss as hall of fame material when most of their songs are just a repetition of the same lyrics over and over again...!!

Deberg_1990
07-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Didnt they basically invent the music video??

Psyko Tek
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
and don't forget the car

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/psyko_tek/monkees.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/psyko_tek/MonkeeMobile.gif

the car alone is worth some consideration

FAX
07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Didnt they basically invent the music video??

Hmmm. I guess you could say so, Mr. Deberg_1990, if this is true, that is ... from the nndb web site ...

"Nesmith is sometimes called the stepfather of MTV because he produced a half-hour pilot for a music video show to be called PopClips. The series was never made, but Nesmith sold the rights to Time-Warner, which tweaked the idea and spawned MTV."

http://www.nndb.com/people/443/000024371/

Shoot, that ought to guarantee them a spot, right there.

Go Monkees!!

FAX

stumppy
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Any band that had an ongoing working relationship with the Banana Splits belongs in.

Phobia
07-01-2007, 12:48 PM
The rock and roll HOF is doing the right thing by keeping the monkeys out. What with all the poo flinging and bug picking....

blueballs
07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Rock and Roll is dead
it would be like being in the NFLE HOF
busts available at local garage sales soon

blueballs
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
and don't forget the car

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/psyko_tek/monkees.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d90/psyko_tek/MonkeeMobile.gif

the car alone is worth some consideration

Pontiac must have been a sponsor

chagrin
07-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes.... but it's hard to justify kiss as hall of fame material when most of their songs are just a repetition of the same lyrics over and over again...!!

Yeah, "Burn Bitch Burn" is basically a copy of "Christine Sixteen" :rolleyes:

This, people, is another fine example of why women shouldn't talk.

Jilly
07-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, "Burn Bitch Burn" is basically a copy of "Christine Sixteen" :rolleyes:

This, people, is another fine example of why women shouldn't talk.

I meant within the same song, Mr. 1950's.

FAX
07-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Good Lord. The Monkees aren't really monkeys, Mr. Phobia. Except for that drummer guy who may be part monkey.

However, setting aside the unfortunate possibility of unwarranted poo flinging for a moment, here's another great reason for the awesome Monkees to be in the hall;

“The Monkees” album held the number one slot on the Billboard Album Chart from November 12, 1966 through February 4, 1967. Then (and this is amazing, really), it was replaced by the album “More of The Monkees” which stayed on the charts at the number 1 spot from February 11, 1967 through June 10, 1967.

Go Monkees!!

FAX

Easy 6
07-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Good Lord. The Monkees aren't really monkeys, Mr. Phobia. Except for that drummer guy who may be part monkey.

However, setting aside the unfortunate possibility of unwarranted poo flinging for a moment, here's another great reason for the awesome Monkees to be in the hall;

“The Monkees” album held the number one slot on the Billboard Album Chart from November 12, 1966 through February 4, 1967. Then (and this is amazing, really), it was replaced by the album “More of The Monkees” which stayed on the charts at the number 1 spot from February 11, 1967 through June 10, 1967.

Go Monkees!!

FAX

I gotta admit Mr. FAX, there are some VERY surprising stats to back up their claim.

Those facts however, were not enough to impress the legend in your avatar when they briefly toured together.

FAX
07-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I gotta admit Mr. FAX, there are some VERY surprising stats to back up their claim.

Those facts however, were not enough to impress the legend in your avatar when they briefly toured together.

ROFL

Jimi was in a league of his own in those days to be sure, Mr. scott free. I imagine that the audiences the Monkees drew weren't quite ready for Hendrix. When you think about it, that had to be one of the weirdest (sp)? concert combinations of all times. Like Zappa opening for the Captain and Toenails or something.

FAX

Logical
07-01-2007, 03:29 PM
You are stretching believability with this one Mr. Fax

FAX
07-01-2007, 03:32 PM
You are stretching believability with this one Mr. Fax

What's the issue, Mr. Logical? I will be happy to provide any necessary citations should you require them.

FAX

Logical
07-01-2007, 03:38 PM
What's the issue, Mr. Logical? I will be happy to provide any necessary citations should you require them.

FAXI think I doubt anyone would really think they belonged especially a cultivated, cultured individual such as the amazing Mr. Fax.

FAX
07-01-2007, 03:51 PM
I think I doubt anyone would really think they belonged especially a cultivated, cultured individual such as the amazing Mr. Fax.

It is quite true that I was once a Monkee hater - perhaps much like yourself, Mr. Logical. Then, I learned the truth.

Given their accomplishments in the industy (in terms of commercial success), I believe the hall should allow them in. Not to do so would be rock and roll snobbery and I, for one, reject that concept out of hand.

Therefore, Go Monkees, I say.

FAX

Logical
07-01-2007, 04:00 PM
It is quite true that I was once a Monkee hater - perhaps much like yourself, Mr. Logical. Then, I learned the truth.

Given their accomplishments in the industy (in terms of commercial success), I believe the hall should allow them in. Not to do so would be rock and roll snobbery and I, for one, reject that concept out of hand.

Therefore, Go Monkees, I say.

FAXJust curious isn't 1967 the year the Beatles went on hiatus stopped touring and spent a year away from the recording studio? Not sure about my music history on this one.

Also how did the Rolling Stones fare that year?

andoman
07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
I wish I had a glass of water...

old_geezer
07-01-2007, 04:35 PM
1. In the year 1967, if man was still alive, they sold more records than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, combined

Proof positive Mr. Fax that intelligent life had ceased to exist by 1967. Nothing more and nothing less.

greg63
07-01-2007, 04:43 PM
How can they not let them in; after all they're too busy singing to put anybody down!

FAX
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
1. In the year 1967, if man was still alive, they sold more records than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, combined

Proof positive Mr. Fax that intelligent life had ceased to exist by 1967. Nothing more and nothing less.

Geez, between you, Mr. old_geezer, and Mr. Logical, my enthusiasm for the Monkees is beginning to wane.

Go Osmonds!!!

FAX

greg63
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Rock and Roll is dead
it would be like being in the NFLE HOF
busts available at local garage sales soon

BLASPHEMY!!!!

old_geezer
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Geez, between you, Mr. old_geezer, and Mr. Logical, my enthusiasm for the Monkees is beginning to wane.

Go Osmonds!!!

FAX

Hey! At least Donnie has some great dance moves Mr. Fax. I mean, he made Mr. Wierd Al's last hit the blockbuster it was. (actually I can't remember the name, so maybe that's not a good example). But he does have a sister I'd like to hit. I wouldn't mind hitting the Monkeys either; but in a different way.

HemiEd
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
No. Not like that, dudes and lady dudes

It's because the Monkees may not make it into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame due to their critics among the R&R "purist" crowd. Sure, they couldn't play worth a crap (with the exception of Nesmith and Davey's phenomenal tamborine technique), but a lot of rock stars appear to have limited musical talent. And, yes it's true that they were a manufactured-for-tv group and basically just ran around and mugged for lenses a lot. Still, I've researched this issue and there are, apparently, some compelling facts in their favor.

1. In the year 1967, if man was still alive, they sold more records than the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, combined.

2. According to Billboard Magazine, "I'm a Believer" was the 5th biggest song of the 60s decade.

3. They were the 8th biggest selling band/artist of the 60s.

4. They are ranked 15th on the list of the most number uno albums with four.

So, what say you, Planeteers? What say you?

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

I really liked the Monkees, I had only one 4 track tape in 1966. It was "hey hey we are the monkees!"

I think they were the first "manufactured group" weren't they?
Similar to Peter Frampton thing much later.

HemiEd
07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
The Monkees were the first band that I ever really liked when I was a kid. They're also the first tape I ever bought with my own money. I say let them in.
Heh

patteeu
07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
I think The Monkees, KISS, *and* Devo all belong in the HOF. I'm not ready to jump on the Osmond's bandwagon yet though.

greg63
07-01-2007, 05:18 PM
I think The Monkees, KISS, *and* Devo all belong in the HOF. I'm not ready to jump on the Osmond's bandwagon yet though.

Yeah; they were almost rock-n-roll.

Rain Man
07-01-2007, 05:29 PM
All bands are manufactured. What's the difference between the lead singer recruiting the other guys and the manager recruiting all of them? Regardless, a group of people somehow get together and make a band.

The Monkees are one of the great groups of the Sixties. Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, I'm a Believer, Shades of Gray, and of course, "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees"....the list goes on and on.

I listened to them a lot more than I listened to a lot of that Motown garbage.

Skip Towne
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Donger should be along any time trying to sell us a monkey.

andoman
07-01-2007, 05:48 PM
All bands are manufactured. What's the difference between the lead singer recruiting the other guys and the manager recruiting all of them? Regardless, a group of people somehow get together and make a band.

The Monkees are one of the great groups of the Sixties. Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, I'm a Believer, Shades of Gray, and of course, "Hey, hey, we're the Monkees"....the list goes on and on.

I listened to them a lot more than I listened to a lot of that Motown garbage.

Take A Giant Step was always one of my favs...

andoman
07-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I wish I had a glass of water...

I can't believe nobody has finished this line. And some of you contend you are Monkees fans. Anybody, anybody ... FAX?

FAX
07-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I can't believe nobody has finished this line. And some of you contend you are Monkees fans. Anybody, anybody ... FAX?

ROFL

I thought that, after reading this thread, you were going to try and drown yourself, Mr. andoman.

Why, you thirsty?

FAX

07-01-2007, 06:26 PM
You know Fax, I only read the title and thought "You just figured this out?"