PDA

View Full Version : Worlds of Fun

Lzen
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Is Worlds of Fun on MO I-435 N? Been a few years since I've been there and can't remember exactly where it is.

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
Yep, north of the river on 435.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Is it any good these days?? Im coming up to KC next week, and plan on taking the family there. Havent been there in years, but the last time i went there the park seemed like it was going downhill. That was probably like 7 or 8 years ago.

Fat Elvis
07-03-2007, 08:38 AM
We went earlier this month and the place was pretty empty. Granted, it sprinkled every now and then throughout the day, but there were no lines for anything.

As far as I'm concerned, it is still as fun as it ever was, but there just doesn't seem to be the same attraction for a lot of folk. Honestly, I don't see how the place stays in business. The last three times I've been there it has been fairly empty.

If you go, I suggest riding the Patriot; it is an inverted rollercoaster, and that is fun, but it really is an amazingly smooth ride.

QuikSsurfer
07-03-2007, 09:21 AM
they've added new rides over the past few years - it's still a lot of fun.
i like oceans of fun slightly better

Deberg_1990
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it is still as fun as it ever was, but there just doesn't seem to be the same attraction for a lot of folk. Honestly, I don't see how the place stays in business. The last three times I've been there it has been fairly empty.

Wow, thats too bad. Growing up that place used be one of the Highlights of the summer. I guess kids today have more entertainment options to keep them busy..

Fat Elvis
07-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, thats too bad. Growing up that place used be one of the Highlights of the summer. I guess kids today have more entertainment options to keep them busy..

It makes it more fun for me. Standing in lines all day wasn't really considered the "fun" part of Worlds of Fun IMO.

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
There is definitely a lot more competition for the family entertainment dollar these days.

The park is about as good as it's ever been and if you really like waiting in line then head over there on a Saturday in October during HalloWeekends. It's absolutely nuts.

jynni
07-03-2007, 12:11 PM
There is definitely a lot more competition for the family entertainment dollar these days.

The park is about as good as it's ever been and if you really like waiting in line then head over there on a Saturday in October during HalloWeekends. It's absolutely nuts.
No kidding - I worked there part time in one of the haunts and I was shocked at how busy the park got on Saturdays during Halloweekends. I mean Saturdays have always been, by far, the busiest days at WoF but during Halloweekends, it can get just as busy as a Saturday in July.

Just FYI - the park is usually dead Monday thru Wednesday.

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 12:20 PM
No kidding - I worked there part time in one of the haunts and I was shocked at how busy the park got on Saturdays during Halloweekends. I mean Saturdays have always been, by far, the busiest days at WoF but during Halloweekends, it can get just as busy as a Saturday in July.

Just FYI - the park is usually dead Monday thru Wednesday.Which one were you in? I worked Asylum Island last year and will likely do the same this year.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I am going to tomorrow I hope it isn't packed but it probably will be. I haven't been in 3-4 years but I always enjoy it. I miss the the Orient Express though.

Fire Me Boy!
07-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Wow. In a manner of typing "worlds of fun" in google, and hitting the mouse button twice I managed to find this helpful link: http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/trip_planning/directions.cfm. And at the bottom, you can even get directions from your very own home! Golly, ain't technology grand?

Deberg_1990
07-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Ill bet when that new Schlitterbahn park gets built, WoF will want to step up their game if they want to stay alive.

Fat Elvis
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I am going to tomorrow I hope it isn't packed but it probably will be. I haven't been in 3-4 years but I always enjoy it. I miss the the Orient Express though.

The Patriot, which replaced the OE, more than makes up for it. The Patriot is a fun ride that is incredibly smooth; you don't get off the ride with whiplash.

Fat Elvis
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Ill bet when that new Schlitterbahn park gets built, WoF will want to step up their game if they want to stay alive.

When and where will that be?

Nzoner
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I went a couple of weeks ago and it was very empty,took less than 5 minutes to get on most every ride.Thankfully I found the only bar there and they serve a helluva margarita.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 12:33 PM
The Patriot, which replaced the OE, more than makes up for it. The Patriot is a fun ride that is incredibly smooth; you don't get off the ride with whiplash.

Good to know thanks.

So does anyone know when the new Schlitterbahn gets done? I am excited as hell to go to that.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 12:34 PM
When and where will that be?

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlitterbahn_(Kansas_City)

Schlitterbahn Waterparks announced the opening of a fourth waterpark in Kansas City, Kansas. This is Schlitterbahn's first waterpark that is outside of the state of Texas. The proposed opening is in 2008. The location of the park is across Interstate 435 from the Kansas Speedway.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I know the where it is across from the Kansas Speedway area.

Yea, here is the only link i could find

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2007/04/23/daily23.html

But i know the Kansas City Star had a story about it awhile back as well..

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 12:37 PM
It is going to be cool as hell

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/news/press/releases/kc/2005-9-14-kc.htm

The project will include:

a mile-long River Walk will feature destination shopping, dining and entertainment centered in a covered, year-round environment.

a large Interactive Marine Park with salt water lagoons for snorkeling, helmet diving and touch pools.

a variety of Lodging facilities will be available, including a 300-room hotel, Treehaus Resort with elevated pods and waterfront cabins, all integrated with the waterpark attractions.

a Schlitterbahn Waterpark will be one of the world’s largest tubing parks with miles of interconnected rivers and signature attractions such as the Master Blaster® uphill water coaster and Torrent River®.

a state-of-the-art Transportainment® river system that transports guests around the complex on water. Transportainment rivers are designed to combine the elements of transportation, sport and entertainment, while minimizing the time park guests spend standing in lines.

jynni
07-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Which one were you in? I worked Asylum Island last year and will likely do the same this year.
Vamp house. Great fun - if my full time job doesn't go crazy I may do it again this year too. Though I think I may opt to do makeup at least part of the time.

Stinger
07-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Good to know thanks.

So does anyone know when the new Schlitterbahn gets done?

Artist’s rendering of a portion of Schlitterbahn Vacation Village

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Other/SVVWaterResort.jpg

Artist’s rendering of pods at Treehaus Resort at
Schlitterbahn Vacation Village

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Other/SVVTreehausResort1.jpg

Artist’s rendering of pods at Treehaus Resort at

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Other/SVVTreehausResort2.jpg

FACT SHEET
Kansas City, Kansas

The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village is a $749 million groundbreaking, trend-setting retail entertainment destination comprised of multiple shopping, dining, lodging and entertainment venues connected by a Transportainment® River System. In the Vacation Village, manmade rivers carry guests between lodging units and a large summertime Water Resort, Marine Park and a covered Riverwalk with shops and restaurants.

The Kansas project is the first expansion outside of Texas for the popular Schlitterbahn group of waterparks. Widely recognized as the first family of American waterparks, Schlitterbahn currently operates three Texas waterparks - Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark, South Padre Island, Schlitterbahn Galveston Island Waterpark, Galveston Island and the flagship waterpark Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort, New Braunfels.

SITE: The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village site is a 376 acre track near Village West in Kansas City, Kansas. The location is bound by state Avenue on the south, Parallel Parkway on the north, Interstate 435 on the west and 94th Street on the east.

OPENING TIMELINE: 2008
Several entertainment components, including the Family Entertainment Center, the Wilderness Village and a portion of the Schlitterbahn waterpark, could open as early as spring 2008. Select retail locations are also anticipated to open in 2008. (Retailers will be announced close to store opening).

Additional attractions, hotel accommodations, the Retail Village and the Riverwalk entertainment district open throughout the year.

COMPONENTS: The project includes a Schlitterbahn Water Resort for summer operation. It will be one of the world's largest tubing parks with miles of interconnected rivers and signature attractions such as the Master Blaster® uphill water coaster and Torrent River®.

The project also includes a large Interactive Marine Park with saltwater lagoons for snorkeling, helmet diving and touch pools.

A Riverwalk with lush foliage and winding walkways will feature destination shopping, dining and entertainment centered in a covered, year-round environment.

A Lodging package will include more than 1,800 accommodations including: a full-service hotel, waterfront cabins and the unique Treehaus Resort with elevated pods - all integrated within waterpark attractions.

TRANSPORTAINMENT
TECHNOLOGY:

The Schlitterbahn Vacation Village will feature a state-of-the-art Transportainment river system that transports guests around the complex on water. Transportainment rivers are designed to combine the elements of transportation, sport and entertainment, while minimizing the time park guests spend standing in lines.

The first Transportainment river system opened at Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark on South Padre Island in 2001. The technology has earned the industry’s highest innovation awards including: International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions [IAAPA] Best New Waterpark Product; IAAPA Impact Award; World Waterpark Association Industry Leadership & Innovation award; THEA Outstanding Achievement Award from the Themed Entertainment Association.

SCHLITTERBAHN BACKGROUND:

The flagship park in New Braunfels, which opened in 1979, features more than 40 family attractions and 218 overnight rooms. Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort is the most popular summertime waterpark in the United States and has been rated America’s number one waterpark by the Travel Channel. It has been the top-attended seasonal waterpark in the United States since 1995, according to Amusement Business rankings.

In 2006, Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort earned its ninth straight Golden Ticket award for World's Best Waterpark in the annual Amusement Today poll of amusement park fans. The park’s Master Blaster uphill water coaster earned this year’s Golden Ticket for Best Waterpark Ride and the park also received a Golden Ticket for Best Waterpark Landscaping.

The 26-acre Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark on South Padre Island opened in 2001 and features more than a dozen family attractions. The park’s innovative design features a dozen attractions, including the state-of-the-art Transportainment river system. Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark has received the industry’s top awards for design innovation.

Schlitterbahn’s third waterpark is on historic Galveston Island, south of Houston, Texas. The 26-acre park includes Wasserfest™, the world's first convertible waterpark with sections that can be opened or closed for year-round use. The park also features the next generation of the award-winning Transportainment® river system that combines four unique rivers into one endless floating adventure.

In addition to these three waterparks, the Schlitterbahn organization brings decades of worldwide waterpark resort expertise to the project. Sister company NBGS International, based in New Braunfels, has supplied design work and manufactured products for hundreds of parks, cruise ships and malls over the past two decades.

Schlitterbahn Waterparks
381 East Austin Street
New Braunfels, Texas 78130
jsiebert@schlitterbahn.com

LINK (http://www.schlitterbahn.com/news/kc.asp)

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the info Stinger.

This guy on the website said there hasn't been any construction going on there and they have taken down all the models. I am just curious what is going on and if they are having problems or something. There is no way they are going to be open by Spring 08.

He did get some pictures of the models this past January.

http://www.coastercommunity.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=99&topic=376.0

Baby Lee
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM

This guy on the website said there hasn't been any construction going on there and they have taken down all the models. I am just curious what is going on and if they are having problems or something. There is no way they are going to be open by Spring 08.

http://backintheday.blogharbor.com/80s/images/memberonly.jpg

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 01:47 PM

I'm that guy. :)

I find it odd that they were originally schedule to break ground in Jan of 07 and haven't. There is no way that any part of that park can be open in time for the 2008 season.

I'm guessing that there are some design changes that have delayed the project but that's nothing more than a guess.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm that guy. :)

I find it odd that they were originally schedule to break ground in Jan of 07 and haven't. There is no way that any part of that park can be open in time for the 2008 season.

I'm guessing that there are some design changes that have delayed the project but that's nothing more than a guess.

Seriously? That is cool. I thought about posting there to ask you some questions. Have you been out there lately or heard anything new?

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Seriously? That is cool. I thought about posting there to ask you some questions. Have you been out there lately or heard anything new?I went by the site last weekend and there were no changes.

There is an amusement rag that mentioned changes to the plans (expanding the previous plan) a couple of months back. That's pretty much all that I've had to go on for a while now.

The Star mentioned a local investor getting involved recently as well.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 01:55 PM
I went by the site last weekend and there were no changes.

There is an amusement rag that mentioned changes to the plans (expanding the previous plan) a couple of months back. That's pretty much all that I've had to go on for a while now.

The Star mentioned a local investor getting involved recently as well.

So it still going to go up just much later? Thanks for the info and I like your site.

Eleazar
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM

You wouldn't believe how much money is moving through that place every day, on the high volume days is just an incredible amount.

At one time the attendance forecast was usually something like 4,000 or 6,000 on weekdays, but on weekends it could go up to 10k, 15k, maybe 20.

A park that size will feel empty with 5,000 people in the house, but there is still money coming in.

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
So it still going to go up just much later? Thanks for the info and I like your site.I can't say for certain either way. If it wasn't going up then I would think that the local paper would have sniffed something out by now so I would lean towards it going up.

CoMoChief
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I dont like WOF anymore really. It kinda wore out on me because one summer me and a few buddies got a season pass ($60 at the time) and we went at least once a week all summer. Really got our moneys worth for the season pass, but going there so often just wore me out on it and I've only been there a few times in the last 8 years, once being not that long ago.

I went to Cedar Point a couple summers ago on a 3 day road trip to Sandusky Ohio. Drove there one day, went to the park the next, got up the next morning and drove back to KC. Cedar Point without a doubt is the best theme park in the US.

Fat Elvis
07-03-2007, 02:34 PM
You wouldn't believe how much money is moving through that place every day, on the high volume days is just an incredible amount.

At one time the attendance forecast was usually something like 4,000 or 6,000 on weekdays, but on weekends it could go up to 10k, 15k, maybe 20.

A park that size will feel empty with 5,000 people in the house, but there is still money coming in.

There were MAYBE 1,000 people the day I went. Maybe. There is a huge difference between feeling empty and being empty. When ride attendants are just asking people if they want off of rides,and otherwise letting them ride as long as they want, it is empty. There were a total of two lines in the whole park that I saw the entire day. The first seat of the first car of the Mamba was 2 deep, and the Fury of the Nile was about 30 deep because it broke down for a while.

We rode the Viking Voyager 3x, and saw a total of two other families on it those times. There were times that the Mamba was running with only 4-6 people on it.

The weather was a little iffy that day, but boy it made the park a lot of fun.

ChiefsNWildcats
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Might be complete BS, but I heard this past week that some people are fighting Schlitterbahn over the annex courthouse off of State Avenue. They think it is something of a historical building and want it preserved. I used to renew my auto tags in there. Believe me, that building needs to go. Its nothing but a heap o' crap.

But then again, just something I overheard.

dirk digler
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Might be complete BS, but I heard this past week that some people are fighting Schlitterbahn over the annex courthouse off of State Avenue. They think it is something of a historical building and want it preserved. I used to renew my auto tags in there. Believe me, that building needs to go. Its nothing but a heap o' crap.

But then again, just something I overheard.

Interesting and thanks for the info.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Is "Legoland" off the drawing boards in Lees Summit??

Schlitterbahn and Legoland + WoF would be a huge boom for the KC area. It would make KC a nationwide "Family Vacation Destination"

jiveturkey
07-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Is "Legoland" off the drawing boards in Lees Summit??

Schlitterbahn and Legoland + WoF would be a huge boom for the KC area. It would make KC a nationwide "Family Vacation Destination"They're considering a new location within Lee's Summit last I heard and will be meeting with the city once they have that new plan in hand.

I'm not sure why Legoland is even messing with the KC area. They got booted out of Olathe and now Lee's Summit is jerking them around.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
not related but anyone know why 169 north they changed towards the end of the bridge to 1 lane instead of two??

DaFace
07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow. In a manner of typing "worlds of fun" in google, and hitting the mouse button twice I managed to find this helpful link: http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/trip_planning/directions.cfm. And at the bottom, you can even get directions from your very own home! Golly, ain't technology grand?

Cool. I'm only 611.3 miles away!

Predarat
07-03-2007, 05:08 PM
It sucks the took down the Orient Express and put up that damn Spinning Dragons ride. But i bet the Patriot is cool!

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 11:38 AM
So my wife and kids were out there last night and witnessed some of this. The story makes it sound like a "small group", but wife claims is was a group of about 200 girls who appeared to be 14-15 years old.

Crazy. I feel like kids are getting worse and worse.......

http://www.kctv5.com/story/25949089/police-disperse-unruly-crowd-at-worlds-of-fun

Police were called out to Worlds of Fun after a group of people got out of control.

Amusement park officials said security officers along with Kansas City police responded about 9 p.m. Saturday to a report of a small group of "unruly teens" inside the park.

Several teens were ejected from the park. There were no reports of arrests or injuries.

"Safety is our number one priority and, as part of our normal operating procedures we do employ off-duty Kansas City police officers and Clay County sheriff's deputies," Worlds of Fun spokeswoman Rachael Murie said in a written statement.

Tim Reardon was at the park with his 10-year-old daughter. They were on their way to Snoopy World, located towards the back of the park, when they saw huge throngs of young teens and as many as 10 security officers running towards the front of the park.

"As we passed by the group we saw one young black male being escorted by security in handcuffs - walking normally and not appearing to resist," Reardon said.

Reardon said he was momentarily nervous for his daughter as the groups passing them grew larger and more boisterous.

"I heard some of the kids shouting unpleasantries and disappointment with the attractions being closed and, of course, a few profanities but nothing out of line with what you would encounter at any other public attraction these days, like a Chiefs game or a movie theatre on a weekend night," he said.

Reardon said he saw many park security personnel, but only one police officer.

"Incidentally, when I saw this actual officer during the mass exodus, he was casually standing merely observing the crowd and not in a panic as many of the park security personnel were," Reardon said.

TLO
07-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Were they black?

Bowser
07-06-2014, 11:44 AM
My daughter told me that Worlds of Fun just isn't worth going to anymore. She said it's just way too trashy anymore too many thugs and whiskey tangos out there to have any fun. Cheap entertainment brings out the cheap hellraisers, I suppose.

WakkaWakka
07-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Were they black?

http://i.imgur.com/jyOKO.gif

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 11:46 AM
My daughter told me that Worlds of Fun just isn't worth going to anymore. She said it's just way too trashy anymore too many thugs and whiskey tangos out there to have any fun. Cheap entertainment brings out the cheap hellraisers, I suppose.

I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Where do thugs and whiskey tangos get all this money to spend?

TLO
07-06-2014, 11:48 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jyOKO.gif

I'm just trying to ask all the right questions.

DaFace
07-06-2014, 11:48 AM
So...the kids were rowdy? Is there something more to the story?

TribalElder
07-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Welcome to worlds of plaza teens

Bowser
07-06-2014, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't exactly call it cheap. Where do thugs and whiskey tangos get all this money to spend?

Beats me. She just said they're out there in droves. Rich kids slumming, maybe, who knows. All I know is that she and her friends went like twice this year and hated it both times. Of course, she might be getting too old for the place to stay cool anymore, too.

Jerm
07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
I went on opening day...the teenagers and their bullshit attitudes soured it. Not to mention the constant line jumping by said little shits and most of the employees who were too dumb to notice or too scared to do anything.

Don't know if I'll go back before Halloween Haunts...

Sully
07-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Went yesterday for the first time in close to 20 years. The teens I saw were, essentially, same as when I went every weekend as a teen. Dressed awful, feel bulletproof, and feel like they own the place.

Gravedigger
07-06-2014, 12:53 PM
I went on Fourth of July and I didn't even pay attention to anyone else really besides my fiancé and I. Kids are kids, they're the same at WoF as they are at Walmart. Don't let them get to you.

Bearcat
07-06-2014, 01:01 PM
So...the kids were rowdy? Is there something more to the story?

Some kids were shouting at an amusement park... didn't happen in the old days.

DaFace
07-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Crazy. I feel like kids are getting worse and worse.......

As a serious response to this, chances are you're just getting older and crankier - not the kids getting worse. Just like those among the general population, crime rates among juveniles are lower now than they've ever been.

If the worst that kids are doing today is getting rowdy and getting kicked out of an amusement park with no property damage and no physical violence, I'd hate to see your reaction to something that actually mattered.

http://i.imgur.com/1quOmqi.png (http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/JAR_Display.asp?ID=qa05201)

Rain Man
07-06-2014, 02:40 PM
People like to blame video games for violence, but truthfully they're probably bringing it down. A lot of kids who would've gotten into trouble 25 years ago are sitting in their basement 60 pounds overweight today, without the energy to go outside and look for trouble. Yay, video games!

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
As a serious response to this, chances are you're just getting older and crankier - not the kids getting worse. Just like those among the general population, crime rates among juveniles are lower now than they've ever been.

If the worst that kids are doing today is getting rowdy and getting kicked out of an amusement park with no property damage and no physical violence, I'd hate to see your reaction to something that actually mattered.

http://i.imgur.com/1quOmqi.png (http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/JAR_Display.asp?ID=qa05201)

heh, possibly. Alot of this stuff wasnt reported years ago in the pre-internet era, or we just didnt care when we were kids.

Predarat
07-06-2014, 02:51 PM
The Plaza is the new Bannister Mall, Worlds of fun is the new Plaza, Parks and Light, you are next!!!!!!!

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 02:53 PM
The Plaza is the new Bannister Mall, Worlds of fun is the new Plaza, Parks and Light, you are next!!!!!!!

This would be quite sad.......but some believe the Plaza is doomed.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2014/06/26/glazer-the-country-club-plaza-is-doomed/

TribalElder
07-06-2014, 03:30 PM
This would be quite sad.......but some believe the Plaza is doomed.

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2014/06/26/glazer-the-country-club-plaza-is-doomed/

Could be very true

If the new shit is out in joco, why go to the plaza?

Pepe Silvia
07-06-2014, 03:43 PM
I used to eat funnel cakes and ride everything.

Predarat
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM
They need a new log ride, that thing is awful. It is as outdated as the Metrodome.

Bowser
07-06-2014, 04:25 PM
They need a new log ride, that thing is awful. It is as outdated as the Metrodome.

Does it still shake your hemorrhoids out going up that hill?

Predarat
07-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Now it does that the entire ride. It continuously hits the bottom of the artificial creek.

Jerm
07-06-2014, 04:58 PM

There's always the Timber Wolf for that...Jesus I feel like I need to go through the NFL concussion protocol after every ride.

TribalElder
07-06-2014, 04:58 PM
why all the viking voyager hate... ROFL

Gravedigger
07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Viking Voyager and Fury of the Nile need to be renovated. Tear down Timber Wolf, nobody rides it, Prowler is far better, put a coaster in there like a redone Zambi Zi Zinger.

TribalElder
07-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Once California has a coaster that continuously malfunctions I'm sure worlds of fun with purchase it at a discount and deploy it in KC

SteelHawk style for the plaza kids

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Viking Voyager and Fury of the Nile need to be renovated. Tear down Timber Wolf, nobody rides it, Prowler is far better, put a coaster in there like a redone Zambi Zi Zinger.

holy sh*t, Fury of the Nile is 30 years old. I just looked it up. wow.

Bowser
07-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Where's jiveturkey? Doesn't he work on coasters and stuff? Get him to WoF STAT.

TribalElder
07-06-2014, 06:10 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4vu7w-Wfz5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
After going to Cedar Point and Kings Island I don't know that I will ever go back to Worlds of Fun.

Baby Lee
07-06-2014, 08:42 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4vu7w-Wfz5I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They had entirely too much fun on that. I'm jealous of someone so delighted by something like that. I feel like I have to go 120 MPH with my hair on fire to elicit a woo-hoo anymore.

TLO
07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I <3 the log ride.

Al Bundy
07-06-2014, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I do remember standing in line for 2 hours in 1990 to ride the damn thing.

Bowser
07-06-2014, 10:12 PM
After going to Cedar Point and Kings Island I don't know that I will ever go back to Worlds of Fun.

This is a good point. Cedar Point kind of killed the fun for my daughter at World's of Fun. Cedar Point is amazing; WoF is not.

rocknrolla
07-06-2014, 10:17 PM

Shit, I'm old. I remember the day it opened. :banghead:

dirk digler
07-06-2014, 10:29 PM
This is a good point. Cedar Point kind of killed the fun for my daughter at World's of Fun. Cedar Point is amazing; WoF is not.

Doesn't Cedar Point own WoF now?

NewChief
07-06-2014, 10:32 PM
There's always the Timber Wolf for that...Jesus I feel like I need to go through the NFL concussion protocol after every ride.

Just got back from Six Flags St. Louis. This was our experience on The Boss. My wife and I were shocked at how fucked up we felt after riding it. I thought we were going to have to go see a chiropractor.

srvy
07-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Shit, I'm old. I remember the day it opened. :banghead:

I worked there the day it opened.

Valiant
07-06-2014, 10:55 PM

Selling ebt benefits for 50%???

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
07-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Try the Matterhorn at Disneyland. 2 minutes of bumpy, side-to-side slamming while sitting on a plastic bench.

It's like hanging out with Kordell Stewart in a park.

Dayze
07-07-2014, 03:04 AM
the only things WOF at WOF (c what I did ther?) are the Prowler, Patriot and the spinning dragons. I laugh like a bitch when riding the Spinning Dragons.

the Prowler is wicked and I think my favorite ride in the park. The Mamba is fun, but think it's lacking something. Boomerang makes you feel like you've been in a car crash. Timberwolf makes you feel like you just played a game of high school football against a team who's offensive play calling was 60 run plays to 5 pass plays......and you lost TOP by 45 minutes.

My wife asked me what word I would use to describe the Prowler and I said "Wicked". The prowler is like taking a ride down a drag strip in a 1970 Chevelle; naturally aspirated pushing 700HP. The Patriot is like doing a lap in a Ferrari at Nurburgring.

(cool thing is, my wife new what Nurburgring was :))

BigMeatballDave
07-07-2014, 03:42 AM
Doesn't Cedar Point own WoF now?

The Company is Cedar Fair, and yes. Bought WoF in 95.

They own several amusement and water parks.

Fairplay
07-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Police disperse unruly crowd at Worlds of Fun

Police were called out to Worlds of Fun after a group of people got out of control. The disturbance all started a little before 9 p.m. Saturday.

When people come to the amusement park, what they are expecting is family-friendly entertainment. So when a huge fight broke out Saturday night, it had some of them scared for their families' safety.

Amusement park officials said security officers, along with Kansas City police, responded about 9 p.m. Saturday to a report of a small group of "unruly teens" inside the park.

"My youngest daughter yelled, 'fight!'" said Michael Rather, who never had a problem taking his family to Worlds of Fun until Saturday night.

Rather saw two women beating each other up. After helping break it up, he noticed the situation escalating.

"Crowds were just starting to gather, it wasn't looking like a good situation. I grabbed my girls and started leaving the park," he said.

Some witnesses said the crowd reached at least 100 people.

Tim Reardon was at the park with his 10-year-old daughter. They were on their way to Snoopy World, located towards the back of the park, when they saw huge throngs of young teens and as many as 10 security officers running towards the front of the park.

"As we passed by the group we saw one young black male being escorted by security in handcuffs - walking normally and not appearing to resist," Reardon said.

Reardon said he was momentarily nervous for his daughter as the groups passing them grew larger and more boisterous.

"I heard some of the kids shouting unpleasantries and disappointment with the attractions being closed and, of course, a few profanities but nothing out of line with what you would encounter at any other public attraction these days, like a Chiefs game or a movie theatre on a weekend night," he said.

Raether said Worlds of Fun did a great job of getting the situation under control.

"They had more security than I even realized. Once I realized what was going on, they were coming from all directions," he said.

Several teens were ejected from the park. There were no reports of arrests or injuries.

"Safety is our number one priority and, as part of our normal operating procedures we do employ off-duty Kansas City police officers and Clay County sheriff's deputies," Worlds of Fun spokeswoman Rachael Murie said in a written statement.

However, despite the fight, Raether says he's not going to stop bringing his family to either Worlds of Fun or Oceans of Fun.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/25949089/police-disperse-unruly-crowd-at-worlds-of-fun

Dayze
07-07-2014, 04:15 AM
probably waiting to be picked up so they could go to the plaza.

Predarat
07-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Hell if they are fighting and being unruly near the entrance and exit, instead of leaving the park go ride the rides. Those unruly yutes probably abandoned the rides to participate in the fighting.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2014, 08:02 AM

For a little bit of useless trivia, the Zambi Zi Zinger is now located in a coffee themed amusement park in Colombia.

07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Doesn't Cedar Point own WoF now?Cedar Fair owns several including Cedar Point, Kings Island and WoF. that is why WoFs prices increased so much the last few years.

Al Bundy
07-07-2014, 09:24 AM
For a little bit of useless trivia, the Zambi Zi Zinger is now located in a coffee themed amusement park in Colombia.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N2pjRCGlUPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

07-07-2014, 09:29 AM
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N2pjRCGlUPc" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>Still amazes me they tore that down to put in that POS boomerrang.

DaFace
07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Just got back from Six Flags St. Louis. This was our experience on The Boss. My wife and I were shocked at how fucked up we felt after riding it. I thought we were going to have to go see a chiropractor.

The wife and I went to Elitch Gardens here in Denver a couple months ago. I'm only 32, but I still felt like I lost a couple inches in spinal compression after riding the big coaster there. I used to love those things, but I'm not sure I'd ever make a trip just to do it these days.

kcchiefsus
07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N2pjRCGlUPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was in Colombia a year ago and drove right by the park and was amazed when my friend told me that it had been relocated there.