PDA

View Full Version : Power 90 workout

07-05-2007, 03:12 PM
If you are looking for a non-dancing and straightforward workout I would highly recommend Power 90. I have only done a few days now but it is one hell of a workout and is manageable for a beginner. It has corny music but the instructor explains everything throughout the workout and for the most part does not get all up in your face like other TV workouts do.

Cardio Sweat does just that. You WILL sweat but won't be super exhausted either.

Power Sculpt will not draw out the sweat as much but you will feel it the next day.

Ab sculpter 100 will really test you though. 10 different ab exercises of 10 reps each. 10 second breaks.

Link (http://www.beachbody.com/jump.jsp?itemID=22&itemType=CATEGORY&path=1,2,21)

I would consider this the perfect workout for a guy.

Joe Seahawk
07-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm doing it too.. I lost 40 pounds a couple years ago on it. This time I'll keep it off..

Tony is an annoying punk tho.. :rolleyes:

Sully
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
I just started p90x, which is the same guy.
Pretty rough.

07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I have heard P90X is ridiculous tough. Hell, I couldn't pass the pull ups test.

Oh Snap
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
i stick to free weights.. just curios how many pull ups were you able to do guru? I can do 21 at one time and thats about where i max out (have long arms).. real good exercise for the traps and delts as well as the lats.. probably the best exercise you can do to build up the entire upper body.

07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
i stick to free weights.. just curios how many pull ups were you able to do guru? I can do 21 at one time and thats about where i max out (have long arms).. real good exercise for the traps and delts as well as the lats.. probably the best exercise you can do to build up the entire upper body.

The test is for full wide pull-ups. You are required to do at least 3 to pass. I didn't pass. But I have never been good at pull up either.

headsnap
07-05-2007, 08:17 PM
P90X is cool, I've got it.

The Plyo will kick your A$$!!!

07-05-2007, 08:21 PM

I will be looking for a change when I am done with P90. I plan to tackle P90X at that point. They say you should be able to easily handle X when you are done with 90.

Hopefully the price will be cheaper by then. Can't believe they can charge $135 incl s/h for any exercise video.

I am assuming you bought it anyway. :hmmm:

Sully
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM

We actually have our football players doing it every morning for part of their summer conditioning. Afterwards we run their asses off.

Oh Snap
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
The test is for full wide pull-ups. You are required to do at least 3 to pass. I didn't pass. But I have never been good at pull up either.
may i ask what your stats are?

07-05-2007, 10:01 PM
may i ask what your stats are?
NOpe. I tried the pull ups first. When I couldn't complete 2 I decided not to bother with the rest of the test. Even P90X states that if you cannot pass any one part of their test to start with P90 and come back.

I have shoulder issues right now anyway, due to an injury, so it is probably better this way.

BWillie
07-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Man, people make fitness too complicated. Ever heard the phrase keep it simple stupid? It really does apply to fitness, it is not rocket science. But none the less, if one needs a program from corporate america to motivate them then it is doing it's job. Body for life is a real good program for cutting. I would highly recommend that.

TinyEvel
07-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Yeah, but for a workout routine you can REALLY make use of, I recommend either a treadmill, orbital or Powerglider. That way, you'll have something to hang your jacket or other clothes on year-round.

07-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Man, people make fitness too complicated. Ever heard the phrase keep it simple stupid? It really does apply to fitness, it is not rocket science. But none the less, if one needs a program from corporate america to motivate them then it is doing it's job. Body for life is a real good program for cutting. I would highly recommend that.

I have done Body for Life. It works. It is just too much for me to handle now. Didn't like the workouts at all.

ONe key to this is you have to at least somewhat enjoy what your are doing.

Oh Snap
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
consistency is another big thing guru. you wont see the results at first.. but keep at it and youll get the type of body you want. oh and the stats thing i asked you flew right over your head ;) i was asking your muscle stats. but you probably dont measure you muscles do you...

07-06-2007, 02:20 AM
consistency is another big thing guru. you wont see the results at first.. but keep at it and youll get the type of body you want. oh and the stats thing i asked you flew right over your head ;) i was asking your muscle stats. but you probably dont measure you muscles do you...

Heh. No, but I have a excel app that lets me crunch those number so I may start tracking that.

CoMoChief
07-06-2007, 02:41 AM
Generally a workout routine like that will only work if u stick to a good healthy balanced diet.

Eating right is half the battle (if not more) in losing weight.

07-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Generally a workout routine like that will only work if u stick to a good healthy balanced diet.

Any workout routine is better than no workout routine though. Yes, diet is part of it for complete results but exercise is exercise and any doctor will support that.

Nobody is questioning the importance of diet here.

07-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I just started p90x, which is the same guy.
Pretty rough.

I gave cardio x a shot today. All I can say is HOLY SHIT!!!

Silock
07-25-2007, 06:57 AM

Yup. Abs are made in the kitchen.

cadmonkey
07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
I saw this on TV and was wondering if it really worked. Guru, how highly do you recomend it?

07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
I saw this on TV and was wondering if it really worked. Guru, how highly do you recomend it?

Well, I am in my first week and it is kicking my ass. I will say this though, Ab Ripper X was near impossible on my first day but my second go around with it was a ton better. Your body adjusts better than you might think.

I am trying different workouts through friends.

Power 90 was really good but got repetitious after 3 weeks. P90X doesn't seem like it will have that problem but you had better be ready to devote about 75 minutes a day to it.

I have only done the first 3 workouts and replaced Plyometrics with Cardio X because of knee issues. After I have finished the first week I will be able to tell ya more.

SLAG
07-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Maybe they need to bring the giblert brown zone in again..

j/k

I need to loose some weight like mad quick, but in a healthly way,

Anyone have some suggestions for cheap work outs..

I have the Original TaeBo Video I bought for the wife around here somewhere

Is that anygood for getting into shape?

or any other advice

07-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe they need to bring the giblert brown zone in again..

j/k

I have the Original TaeBo Video I bought for the wife around here somewhere

Is that anygood for getting into shape?

or any other advice

Couldn't tell ya about TaeBo but anything is better than nothing.

Find yourself a Power 90 torrent and give it a try. That is the one I would recommend for starting out. Especially for guys.

SLAG
07-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Couldn't tell ya about TaeBo but anything is better than nothing.

Find yourself a Power 90 torrent and give it a try. That is the one I would recommend for starting out. Especially for guys.

I found these on ebay Good price to keep it Legal

http://dvd.search.ebay.com/Power-90_DVDs-Movies_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ11232

07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
I found these on ebay Good price to keep it Legal

http://dvd.search.ebay.com/Power-90_DVDs-Movies_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ11232

I am all for keeping it legal. I only suggest the torrents first to see if you would actually like it. Or borrow from a friend who actually purchased it.

As far as the Ebay prices, it depends on what the final price is after shipping. You can get it from www.power90.com for 3 payments of $20 and $13 shipping. It also includes a pretty decent exercise band that would normally cost about $15 too. 90 day money back guarantee too. If you actually would take the time to do that.

Silock
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM

Cut out sugar completely (no dessert, no soda... NO SUGAR!), don't eat carbs late at night, and get your heart rate up for an hour every day.

Simple.

teedubya
07-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Power 90 kicks ass. I lost about 25 lbs the first time on it, and its enjoyable. Definitely makes you sweat, and its not all dancey gheyness like so many other things are.

I also recommend getting the 'Bean' . that things kicks ass also. Plus, its fun to **** on.

07-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Power 90 kicks ass. I lost about 25 lbs the first time on it, and its enjoyable. Definitely makes you sweat, and its not all dancey gheyness like so many other things are.

I also recommend getting the 'Bean' . that things kicks ass also. Plus, its fun to **** on.

That thing didn't look to solid to me.

KC Jones
07-26-2007, 06:50 AM

Eat several (5-6) small meals a day that consist of lots of protein, a carb, and throw in some veggies too.

Alternate between cardio workouts and resistance training to build mass.

No more sugar, high fat, or alcohol in your diet.

That's basically the same plan as BFL and more or less what most body building types do. Gaining muscle mass will help you burn more fat, and eating lots of protein will help you gain that mass as well as help regulate your insulin levels. The smaller but more regular meals keep you from getting too hungry and binging, but they also keep your metabolism up to help you burn more fat.

ChiTown
07-26-2007, 07:28 AM
http://www.beachbody.com/images/us/local/v3/products/fitnessproducts/power90bootcamp/power90_tonyhortonsig.jpg

"Not only that, but I'm totally gay!"

Bootlegged
07-26-2007, 07:35 AM
No need to buy anything - burn more calories than you consume = weight loss. Lift weights if you want to sculpt/put on muscle.

Oh Snap
07-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Eat several (5-6) small meals a day that consist of lots of protein, a carb, and throw in some veggies too.

Alternate between cardio workouts and resistance training to build mass.

No more sugar, high fat, or alcohol in your diet.

That's basically the same plan as BFL and more or less what most body building types do. Gaining muscle mass will help you burn more fat, and eating lots of protein will help you gain that mass as well as help regulate your insulin levels. The smaller but more regular meals keep you from getting too hungry and binging, but they also keep your metabolism up to help you burn more fat.

My advice to anyone trying to gain muscle mass.. DONT DO CARDIO (unless your trying to lose weight, but it has been studied that by lifting free weights you burn more fat). Its a complete and utter waste of time. And about resistance training.. Im not a huge fan of the Bow Flex's and those sorts of contraptions. Just stick with free weights. Eat lots of protien. I suggest 1.5-2 grams per pound of your weight. Work out 3-5x a week, it will only take at the very least 30-45 minutes out of your day. Eat healthy nutritional meals. and if you want to lose more weight eat less calories then your body is used to taking in. But be sure to eat enough protien to build muscle mass, (this will help you lose unwanted weight even faster) sleep is important as well because this is actually when your muscles recover from your workouts. Eating enough protien is essential as well.. sleep and enough protien go hand in hand.

Silock
07-26-2007, 09:15 AM
My advice to anyone trying to gain muscle mass.. DONT DO CARDIO (unless your trying to lose weight, but it has been studied that by lifting free weights you burn more fat). Its a complete and utter waste of time.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing some cardio while you're trying to gain muscle mass, as long as you're eating properly.

The most effective way to burn fat is to do a combo of weight training and cardio.

It's almost impossible to gain muscle mass without gaining some fat, too.

Odd those things seem to be in contradiction with each other, but they're all true.

Oh Snap
07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing some cardio while you're trying to gain muscle mass, as long as you're eating properly.

And thats true.. especially if the opposite of that is doing nothing. Doing cardio is better then doing nothing...

The most effective way to burn fat is to do a combo of weight training and cardio.

I was more or less referring to gaining muscle mass. And it has been researched and proven that by using free weights you burn more fat then you do by doing cardio. Some ppl are just to lazy do deal with free weights...

It's almost impossible to gain muscle mass without gaining some fat, too.

Your right.. And i never said it wasnt possible. but, again, when trying to gain mass this isnt a bad thing. And again, by using free weights your going to burn that fat faster.

Silock
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
And thats true.. especially if the opposite of that is doing nothing. Doing cardio is better then doing nothing...

Well, I was just making the point that you can build muscle while doing cardio if your diet is right (enough carbs and protein and essential fats).

I was more or less referring to gaining muscle mass. And it has been researched and proven that by using free weights you burn more fat then you do by doing cardio. Some ppl are just to lazy do deal with free weights...

That depends entirely on how much cardio you do and what kind of cardio it is. If you're not prepared for it, intense cardio with extremely high heart rate can cause you to lose muscle mass and not lose a lot of weight. Your body doesn't have time to break down the fat and convert it to useable energy. It's far easier for it to cannibalize the muscle. But, again, a lot of that is diet related. Something like High Intensity Interval Training will burn a LOT of fat, and do it much more efficiently than endurance training. I wholeheartedly agree that weight training will burn more fat than endurance training, but I haven't seen a very conclusive study that compared the effects of HIIT with weight training.

Your right.. And i never said it wasnt possible. but, again, when trying to gain mass this isnt a bad thing. And again, by using free weights your going to burn that fat faster.

But doing a combo of both will dramatically increase the amount of fat one burns. You'll burn more fat doing both than by doing just one or the other.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT%26End.html

Oh Snap
07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Well, I was just making the point that you can build muscle while doing cardio if your diet is right (enough carbs and protein and essential fats).

Only to a certain degree can your body build muscle by doing cardio. It is a good way to stay in shape and keep unwanted pounds off. You wont be gaining 20-30lbs of muscle mass by doing cardio alone though. That can only be achieved through lifting free weights. When you lift weights (im sure you know this) your muscles grow to better adapt to being able to lift that weight, thats how you gain muscle (that and proper dieting). Cardio exercises will tone you up, but you really wont gain much muscle by doing this alone. Again Its better then nothing.

But doing a combo of both will dramatically increase the amount of fat one burns. You'll burn more fat doing both than by doing just one or the other.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT%26End.html

I agree. And maybe i wasnt clear enough in my initial posts, if your a hard gainer and your doing cardio along with free weights your cause is really a lost one imo.

Silock
07-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Only to a certain degree can your body build muscle by doing cardio. It is a good way to stay in shape and keep unwanted pounds off. You wont be gaining 20-30lbs of muscle mass by doing cardio alone though. That can only be achieved through lifting free weights. When you lift weights (im sure you know this) your muscles grow to better adapt to being able to lift that weight, thats how you gain muscle (that and proper dieting). Cardio exercises will tone you up, but you really wont gain much muscle by doing this alone. Again Its better then nothing.

I should have clarified: Doing cardio while on a weight training program designed to build mass won't hurt at all (and probably benefits) your muscle mass gain.

Cardio is pretty much the antithesis of muscle mass. Cardio wants to make you as light as possible and get rid of the muscle mass, which is why you have to make sure you have ample amounts of the different kinds of fuel your body uses.

It all comes down to your diet being able to support your activity, whatever it may be.