PDA

View Full Version : **** it, let's do this: Jared Gaither.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Obviously if we could snag this guy with a 3rd of 4th, we pull the trigger. Probably not going to happen, though. This guy won't make it out of the 2nd round in the Sup Draft.

But let's say we do land him. He's our stud LT. What happens now?

Give me your opening day OL. Does Gaither even make it? (Of course he does.)

LT -- Gaither, Svitek
LG -- Waters, Bober
C -- Wiegmann, Niswanger
RG -- McIntosh, Welbourne
RT -- Terry, Sampson

Or..... shall we get experimental and make the most out of our talent?

LT -- Gaither, Svitek
LG -- McIntosh, Bober
C -- Waters, Wiegmann
RG -- Welbourne, Taylor
RT -- Terry, Sampson

kcchiefsus
07-07-2007, 12:46 AM
No way Gaither would start as a rookie. I wouldn't mind drafting him but he is raw and I think he would need a year or two to develop.

Eleazar
07-07-2007, 12:50 AM
I became skeptical when I read that our franchise left tackle would be available in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I became skeptical when I read that our franchise left tackle would be available in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft.
It's true... the guy's not bright.

But when projected 1st round talent makes it to the Sup Draft, it often slides down to the 2nd or 3rd.

luv
07-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Alright, would someone explain to me the process of the supplemental draft?

Valiant
07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Alright, would someone explain to me the process of the supplemental draft?

From my understanding you bet your pick (which ever round) on a player if someone does not outbid you for the player then you use that pick of next years draft..

So we use a 4th, some picks him with another 4th or higher they would receive the player for that pick next next year.. If we get him for our 4th then we lose that pick next year...

At least thats how I think it works...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 12:59 AM
The supplemental draft is held for players who for whatever reason didn't qualify, declare, etc. for the draft. There are generally not more than a couple of players that are in this draft. In the original draft order though teams may submit selections for these players in rounds 1-7. The catch though, is if you use a pick on a player from this draft, you lose that pick in that round in next years draft. It's a little complicated, but there are generally a couple of guys taken a year in later rounds.

luv
07-07-2007, 01:01 AM
The supplemental draft is held for players who for whatever reason didn't qualify, declare, etc. for the draft. There are generally not more than a couple of players that are in this draft. In the original draft order though teams may submit selections for these players in rounds 1-7. The catch though, is if you use a pick on a player from this draft, you lose that pick in that round in next years draft. It's a little complicated, but there are generally a couple of guys taken a year in later rounds.
So you can, but you don't have to? When is this draft?

luv
07-07-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't mean to cause you all to go off on a tangent. This is just another aspect of football I've yet to learn about. If I'm going to lurk, I'd like to understand what it is I'm reading. :)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I don't mean to cause you all to go off on a tangent. This is just another aspect of football I've yet to learn about. If I'm going to lurk, I'd like to understand what it is I'm reading. :)

I don't mind sharing what I know at all. Here's a link to check out for the scoop on this draft.

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/supplementdraft.htm

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 01:10 AM
So you can, but you don't have to? When is this draft?
You don't have to.

The Sup Draft is on July 10th.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 01:10 AM
The draft itself is held in August I believe.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 01:11 AM
You don't have to.

Or maybe not......

luv
07-07-2007, 01:12 AM
You don't have to.

Do you think we will? We do have a lot of draft picks next year.

Last question. :)

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Do you think we will? We do have a lot of draft picks next year.

Last question. :)
I think we'll chuck a 4 at Oliver, and maybe a 3 at Gaither.

But I doubt we'll get either one of them.

The Franchise
07-07-2007, 02:13 AM
I thought it was July 12th.

Zeke Ziggle
07-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Im not too sure about this because of i have a very limited understanding of college football but i thought oliver was the guy who was the top prospect in this draft. so why would we be unlikely to gaither in the third?

arrowheadsoldier
07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
It's simple just because he is the top prospect doesn't mean he will be chosen first, OT's are hard to come by, and CB's well not so much.

arrowheadsoldier
07-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Direckshun I like the way you think with the o-line package you put together that would be sweet, and I really hope Svitek can be what everyone thinks he can be.

Zeke Ziggle
07-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Even if he was to go first i still can't see anyone spending a second on him. a third or fourth would be more likely considering how good the OT are in next years draft plus the fact most teams shy away from using early first day picks in the Supp Draft

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't see us spending any picks at all.

The OT crop next year is very good, and no way would Gaither start out of the gate. McIntosh would have to have a leg amputated to be removed from the starting LT spot.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Im not too sure about this because of i have a very limited understanding of college football but i thought oliver was the guy who was the top prospect in this draft. so why would we be unlikely to gaither in the third?
Turns out his personal numbers have been bloated.

When Oliver met and had a workout with the 20-some teams that are interested in him, he registered as a few inches shorter, a few pounds lighter, and a few ticks slower than has been advertised by his college.

He didn't impress, but I have no doubt that Herm's still interested. No doubt other teams remain interested as well, so while I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs did bid for him, I doubt he'll make it all the way to us.

I'll be very surprised in Gaither even makes it out the second -- he hasn't had a Pro Day workout to hurt his official numbers and teams are enamored with OTs that are massive, athletic, with unlimited upside that remind them of John Ogden. The Chiefs would be wise to throw a pick at him in the 3rd if he gets that far.

Direckshun
07-07-2007, 11:58 AM

The OT crop next year is very good, and no way would Gaither start out of the gate. McIntosh would have to have a leg amputated to be removed from the starting LT spot.
We brought in Oliver. The guy didn't impress but our crop's too weak this year to pass on him if he gets to the 4th.

Same with Gaither in the 3rd -- no way he gets that far, but a possible Ogden clone is worth the gamble.

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 12:29 PM
We brought in Oliver. The guy didn't impress but our crop's too weak this year to pass on him if he gets to the 4th.

Same with Gaither in the 3rd -- no way he gets that far, but a possible Ogden clone is worth the gamble.

There's a reason they're in the supplemental draft and not the real draft.

These guy's won't be ready to play this season, essentially making them 2008 draft picks.

There's guys with far more upside, and far less risk, that could be had in the 2008 draft.

Ebolapox
07-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I really can't recall any guys from the supplemental draft that succeeded on a grand scale. I know they're there, but it seems guys come out every year with great potential that never really amount to much.

Sam Hall
07-08-2007, 03:18 PM
From the article: "Those teams which have demonstrated a particular interest in Gaither include Atlanta, Baltimore and Jacksonville."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2929635

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm sure Baltimore would looooooove to have him.

Put his locker right next to Ogden's and have him learn all season.

kcchiefsus
07-08-2007, 03:59 PM

So why not draft him this year and give him a year in the system? He could potentially have an advantage over any 2008 tackle we draft because he already would have a year of NFL coaching under his belt.

I'm happy either way though. As long as we find our tackle of the future soon.

kcchiefsus
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I really can't recall any guys from the supplemental draft that succeeded on a grand scale. I know they're there, but it seems guys come out every year with great potential that never really amount to much.

NT Jamal Williams, pro bowler
OG Mike Wahle, pro bowler

kcchiefsus
07-08-2007, 04:06 PM
There's a reason they're in the supplemental draft and not the real draft.

These guy's won't be ready to play this season, essentially making them 2008 draft picks.

There's guys with far more upside, and far less risk, that could be had in the 2008 draft.

The same reason that some players come out early as juniors? These guys are in the same situation but they simply thought they could come back for one more year. They were mistaken. Big deal.

What makes you think these guys won't be ready to play this season?

And how is anybody we draft at cornerback have far more upside? Many analysts had Paul Oliver as the top senior cornerback. How does anybody have more upside than that? The possibility of drafting a potential 2008 first round pick in the 3rd or 4th round? Why would somebody not take advantage of that.

You also way understimate how much these players would gain by having a year under their belt. Training camp, playing experience, in-season practices, learning from other veterans, etc.. If we were to draft either Gaither or Oliver in the supplemental draft they would have a big advantage over any tackle or corner we drafted next year.

Look at Ahmad Brooks. Cincinnati got him a year early and now he is ready to start at MLB for the Bengals. If they had waited to draft a MLB this year then their would be no guarantees he would have been ready. Brooks already had a year of experience under his belt.

Sam Hall
07-08-2007, 04:10 PM
1. Why wasn't he in April's draft? There has to be some issues there.

2. There's no way he would play this season. He's missed the minicamp and OTAs. He can't come out of nowhere and make a contribution at OT.

kcchiefsus
07-08-2007, 04:17 PM
1. Why wasn't he in April's draft? There has to be some issues there.

2. There's no way he would play this season. He's missed the minicamp and OTAs. He can't come out of nowhere and make a contribution at OT.

Oh well, tackle is a position where it could be beneficial to sit the bench for a year. Will Svitek didn't play at all his rookie year but we still kept him on the roster. A year of experience would give him a big advantage over any tackle we draft in 2008.