PDA

View Full Version : Sweeney's knee damage worse than expected

Sam Hall
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Sweeney’s knee surgery reveals more damage than expected

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Veteran captain Mike Sweeney beamed a big smile as he entered the Royals’ clubhouse on crutches before Saturday’s game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at Kauffman Stadium.

But the news, at best, appears mixed.

Sweeney confirmed he now anticipates an extended rehabilitation period after undergoing surgery Thursday to alleviate pain in his right knee.

“We don’t really have a timetable,” he said, “but because of the findings of the surgery, they’re telling me it’s going to require additional rehab. It’s going to be somewhere in the six weeks-plus window.”

That suggests Sweeney won’t return before late August at the earliest and, given his history of slow recovery, could mean he won’t play again this season.

Sweeney said the arthroscopic surgery by Steve Joyce, the club’s chief physician, revealed a “cartilage defect under the knee cap” in addition to the need for a general cleanup.

“I still feel good about the decision to have surgery,” Sweeney said. “It was in my best interest and the team’s best interest. I think if Dr. Joyce hadn’t done the surgery, I probably would have missed the whole season.”

Sweeney said he played through increasing pain for roughly a month before being placed on the disabled list June 19 for what at the time was termed inflammation. He was batting .245 with seven homers and 31 RBIs in 57 games.

Rookie Billy Butler stepped in for Sweeney as the club’s regular designated hitter and has long been viewed as a long-term replacement. Butler entered Saturday’s game with two homers, 12 RBIs and a .273 average in 23 games.

Sweeney’s injury effectively kills his trade value as he completes the final season of a five-year contract. He is eligible to become a free agent after the season and vows to continue playing next year — elsewhere if not with the Royals.

“Dr. Joyce did a phenomenal job,” Sweeney said. “He knows how much I want to come back and play this year. I’m looking to be back at some point in August and to finish out the season strong.”

See Sunday’s Star for more on this story

PinkFloyd
07-07-2007, 08:47 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

He's gone... Moore won't put up with this hurt every year bullcrap !!!

tk13
A cartilage defect? What the? The guy is cursed.

Demonpenz
sucky mcgee. Hopefully he stays healthy after baseball. He gave it a good run we will always have him going after weaver and some other moments. I wonder if people will take a softer stance on him a couple years down the line, because the more shows he will be on and things like that the more people would probably relate too him.

Demonpenz
07-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I wonder when they will put him in the royals hall of fame

PinkFloyd
07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I wonder when they will put him in the royals hall of fame

His statue will be put out front next to Bretts... Sweens will have him on crutches though... ROFL

Demonpenz
07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Sweeney is second in the royals in all time homeruns
second in batting average.
5th in slugging all time.
5th in rbi's

Coach
07-07-2007, 08:56 PM
A cartilage defect? What the? The guy is cursed.

Told you. If the Royals were smart, they would NOT resign him after this year.

They should avoid him at all costs. I don't even want to re-sign him, knowlingly that he would just get hurt again.

RP_McMurphy
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
He's never gonna play 162 games in a season. His productivity does not match his salary. Time to give those at bats to Billy Butler and cut Michael Sweeney.

Coach
07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
He's never gonna play 162 games in a season. His productivity does not match his salary. Time to give those at bats to Billy Butler and cut Michael Sweeney.

Oh hell, I agree. I'll go further that he's never going to play more than 90 games, let alone 162.

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't have any bad feelings toward the guy. By all accounts, he's a hell of a guy.. and he's been great for us in the past. It bugs me a little that people tear him down like they do.

Unfortunately he just can't stay healthy, and he was a bad investment. That's not his fault, but obviously it's time to move on.

Demonpenz
07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
I have been hard on sweeney because it is bidness. God, allah, satan, who cares as long as you park one every 15 at bats. Now it is over though people should pull back on the dude.

Coach
07-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't have any bad feelings toward the guy. By all accounts, he's a hell of a guy.. and he's been great for us in the past. It bugs me a little that people tear him down like they do.

Unfortunately he just can't stay healthy, and he was a bad investment. That's not his fault, but obviously it's time to move on.

I don't have any hard feelings either, it just that, in a way, you feel a little disappointed becuase of the contract that he signed, the Royals didn't get a fair value in return.

My hard feelings are directed at the Royals organization for possibily resigning him after the end of this season (although, much cheaper, due to his injuries) whereas it's very clear that Sweeney cannot play more than 100 games.

Mr. Laz
07-07-2007, 09:14 PM
time to retire

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't have any hard feelings either, it just that, in a way, you feel a little disappointed becuase of the contract that he signed, the Royals didn't get a fair value in return.

My hard feelings are directed at the Royals organization for possibily resigning him after the end of this season (although, much cheaper, due to his injuries) whereas it's very clear that Sweeney cannot play more than 100 games.Well, you can't have hard feelings towards an organization for something they haven't done yet. That all remains to be seen.

It sucks that it turned out the way it did. I'm sure Sweeney wishes it had gone differently too. I mean, you think we're dissapointed...

doomy3
07-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Shocking News.

Coach
07-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, you can't have hard feelings towards an organization for something they haven't done yet. That all remains to be seen.

It sucks that it turned out the way it did. I'm sure Sweeney wishes it had gone differently too. I mean, you think we're dissapointed...

No, but I can have hard feelings for the Royals to even considering that possibility.

Sure, if he was disappointed, then he should give the Royals half of his salary back. That would show his true disappointment.

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 09:23 PM
No, but I can have hard feelings for the Royals to even considering that possibility.

Sure, if he was disappointed, then he should give the Royals half of his salary back. That would show his true disappointment.
:rolleyes:

I understand your frustration... trust me. But that whole post is silly.

Coach
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
:rolleyes:

I understand your frustration... trust me. But that whole post is silly.

Its meant to be silly. :p

I guess that's just how I feel, but I know that it's not going to happen, regardless.

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Its meant to be silly. :p

I guess that's just how I feel, but I know that it's not going to happen, regardless.I don't blame you a bit for being pissed that the Royals didn't get NEARLY what they paid for. I just don't really think there's anyone to blame. Lady luck just put it to us... didn't even take us to dinner first.

Coach
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't blame you a but for being pissed that the Royals didn't get NEARLY what they paid for. I just don't really think there's anyone to blame. Lady luck just put it to us... didn't even take us to dinner first.

Yeah, it's just a strech of bad luck. Like the Cubs and Kerry Wood for example. Wood's got great talent, but he just can't stay healthy.

I was going to mention Mark Prior as well, but Prior wasn't injured as long as Wood and Sweeney have been, yet.

Reerun_KC
07-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Sweeney is second in the royals in all time homeruns
second in batting average.
5th in slugging all time.
5th in rbi's

yeah and probably first in time on the DL...

I cant wait until he is gonzo! what a waste of 55 Million for the Royals...

C-ya overrated and overpaid Sweeney!

teedubya
07-07-2007, 10:47 PM
I wish we could have traded Sweeney for John Buck and Mark Teahan, and paid Carlos Beltran. That is my fictional dream.

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 10:58 PM
I wish we could have traded Sweeney for John Buck and Mark Teahan, and paid Carlos Beltran. That is my fictional dream.Wow... That woulda been nice.