PDA

View Full Version : If true Maas is in trouble..

MGRS13
07-07-2007, 09:40 PM
POSTED 11:18 p.m. EDT, July 7, 2007

MAAS IN A MAJOR MESS

Former NFL player and one-time rising broadcasting star Bill Maas is in a big mess of trouble after being arrested in Illinois on Saturday night.

Maas, whose profile plummeted in 2006 with FOX, was stopped at a roadside check point. Because he seemed nervous, police asked for permission to check the car.

He agreed.

They found a loaded 22-caliber revolver hand gun, 5 grams of marijuana, 6 grams of cocaine, and 28 ecstasy pills.

Police arrested Maas and the passenger in his car, 27-year-old Sarah Murphy of Missouri.

Maas spent nine seasons with the Chiefs and one with the Packers. He was relegated to spot duty on FOX last year, and presumably won't be back in 2007.

htismaqe
07-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Oops.

Sam Hall
07-07-2007, 09:44 PM
He was driving a gray Hummer when I saw him last summer.

MGRS13
07-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Oops.
I think thats closer to an Ooh f#*k!

siberian khatru
07-07-2007, 09:52 PM
KIETZMAN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 09:55 PM
No Maas!

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 09:57 PM
KIETZMAN WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This will bring the NFL to it's knees.

Not unlike Sarah Murphy of Missouri?

Phobia
07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
There's been a lot of negative pub on that guy for years. Sounds like he's a good one.

Phobia
07-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Seriously, if you know that crap is in your car, the news story had better read that the car was searched with a warrant. How dumb do you have to be?

KcMizzou
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't really care about his possible recreational drug use, but yeah.. there have always been bad stories floating around about Maas.

I always kinda liked him as a broadcaster... but the general consensus seems to be that he's a huge asshole.

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Seriously, if you know that crap is in your car, the news story had better read that the car was searched with a warrant. How dumb do you have to be?

No shit. In this day and age....make 'em serve you a warrant, if the chit is in your ride/crib/possession. :shake:

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Sarah should have hid them drugs for him. What a bitch.

Phobia
07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
No shit. In this day and age....make 'em serve you a warrant, if the chit is in your ride/crib/possession. :shake:

Exactly. Has "the driver was nervous" ever held up as probable cause in court? But the moment you give 'em permission to search, they don't need the probable cause, to my understanding. Stupid linemen.

OnTheWarpath15
07-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Anyone know whatever came of the sexual harassment case between Maas and that America's Pub bartender?

Wasn't he a part owner of AP at the time?

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Exactly. Has "the driver was nervous" ever held up as probable cause in court? ...

Ironically, ONLY if they REFUSED the request for permission to search.... :shake:

I'm a conservative. And that sucks balls. :cuss:

KCFalcon59
07-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Why not have 3 Mass threads on the front page?

trndobrd
07-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Exactly. Has "the driver was nervous" ever held up as probable cause in court? But the moment you give 'em permission to search, they don't need the probable cause, to my understanding. Stupid linemen.

Your understanding is correct. The police don't need a warrant to search a vehicle as it would be too difficult*, but they do need clearly definable probable cause. Most jurisdictions have concluded that most people are nervous when they get pulled over and that does not constitute probable cause for a search. Similarly, refusing a search does not create grounds for probable cause.

"Sure, you can search my car officer" = anything goes.

*"OK sir, you stay here on the side of the road while I go to the Court house to get the judge's signature on a warrant. I'll be back in 45 minutes so don't go anywhere. Oh, if you have any drugs or guns or anything, don't throw them out of your car."

gblowfish
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
He should have told the cops he loaned his car to Bam Morris.

macdawg
07-08-2007, 10:35 AM
My mom taught Bill Mass' son in middle school a few years back, she said he was a nice kid and his mom was really nice too.

Shame that Bill would do this to his family.

Bugeater
07-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Your understanding is correct. The police don't need a warrant to search a vehicle as it would be too difficult*, but they do need clearly definable probable cause. Most jurisdictions have concluded that most people are nervous when they get pulled over and that does not constitute probable cause for a search. Similarly, refusing a search does not create grounds for probable cause.

"Sure, you can search my car officer" = anything goes.

*"OK sir, you stay here on the side of the road while I go to the Court house to get the judge's signature on a warrant. I'll be back in 45 minutes so don't go anywhere. Oh, if you have any drugs or guns or anything, don't throw them out of your car."
Could they impound his car if he refused? Also, if they have a drug dog available they can detain him until it arrives, and then he's ****ed anyway.

trndobrd
07-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Could they impound his car if he refused? Also, if they have a drug dog available they can detain him until it arrives, and then he's ****ed anyway.

No and Yes.

If an officer asks to search your vehicle and you refuse, the officer can either let you go on your way, search your car without our permission* (in which case the probably cause basis for the search could be challenged), or detain you for a 'reasonable' time for a dog search. Again, the reasonableness and basis for the detention can be challenged.

An officer can always search or impound a vehicle incident to an arrest, but the arrest must be made prior to the search. An arrest for DUI followed by a vehicle search revealing drugs is a common scenario. Oh, the officer simply looking in the windows does not constitute a search.

*The officer does have the right to search if he or she believes there is probable cause. Any attempt to interfere with the search could be the basis for an obstruction charge. Always follow the officers instructions, but be clear that any search is without your consent.

All comments are for amusement purposes only. The law in your jurisdiction may vary. Consult an attorney in your jurisdiction prior to driving while intoxicated, transporting drugs, or carrying a loaded .22 handgun in your car. Statements made on the board do not constitute legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney client relationship. Your mileage may vary.

bringbackmarty
07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
If it was just some weed and I was Bill Maas - I'd let them search, or even give it up voluntarily - they might let him go. Cops like honesty and showing responsibilty once you are caught. But coke and extasy too, might as well make them do it by the book so you have a chance on a procedural foul up. Jail is too crowded in most places. Little things like 5 grams of weed are too small to prosecute.

CoMoChief
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
He was a nice guy. Ive met him a many occasions. Drank some beers with the guy. He always used to hang out at this bar off of Lakewood Dr. out in Lees Summitt. The bad thing is the guy has drinking problems and doesnt know when to quit. The guy parties his ass off all the time.

Bugeater
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
If it was just some weed and I was Bill Maas - I'd let them search, or even give it up voluntarily - they might let him go. Cops like honesty and showing responsibilty once you are caught. But coke and extasy too, might as well make them do it by the book so you have a chance on a procedural foul up. Jail is too crowded in most places. Little things like 5 grams of weed are too small to prosecute.
Well of course they do, but being honest usually just paves the way to an easy conviction. You're better off keeping your mouth shut until you talk to a lawyer.

BigRedChief
07-08-2007, 01:13 PM
He was a nice guy. Ive met him a many occasions. Drank some beers with the guy. He always used to hang out at this bar off of Lakewood Dr. out in Lees Summitt. The bad thing is the guy has drinking problems and doesnt know when to quit. The guy parties his ass off all the time.
I've saw him wasted several times in Lee's Summit. Usually with 20 something old women. He looked pathetic. Rich former athlete getting publically wasted with barely legal to drink women. Seems like you could find something else to do with your life? But, maybe thats just me.:hmmm:

GoHuge
07-08-2007, 01:16 PM
He was a nice guy. Ive met him a many occasions. Drank some beers with the guy. He always used to hang out at this bar off of Lakewood Dr. out in Lees Summitt. The bad thing is the guy has drinking problems and doesnt know when to quit. The guy parties his ass off all the time.I've had some similar experiences with the guy myself. The first time I met him I was like 13. My family owns a hunting guide service and he came for a weekend. I got to hang out with him all weekend long, but as you mentioned he was the last one up at night. We'd have on average 10 clients a week during deer season and all of these guys liked to drink/slash party in the evening. I can remember Maas making the comments of "you guys are a bunch of pussies" when they would go to bed. Nevermind the fact they where paying alot of money to be there hunting. Bill had all the money he could possibly spend so utilizing his time in the woods wasn't a big deal. To his credit he was up every morning raring to go at 5:30 like the rest of the guys. He was the same way when I was 19 and he came down during turkey season. I tried to hang with him one night and I had a horrible hang over, but again not him, he was up and adam at 5:30 just like every other time. I don't know how the guy could do it.

The good thing about Bill was he is a hell of a good time to be around. He acts like just a normal guy and this was 10-15 years ago when he was the man in KC. I haven't been around many celebrities, but the ones I have all seem like pretty decent normal people

I never thought Bill was worth a shit as a broadcaster, but now it seems we won't be seeing anymore of that. He had enough stuff on him that would have made for one hell of a party. If this chick was hot, and all the ones I ever met and saw him with where smokin hot it would have made the party really fun.

I don't understand why or if he just let the cops search his car but that was pretty dumb with that much dope and a gun on top of it. If I where him I'd be more embarrased for getting caught with a .22 than the dope. A guy like him ought to at least be packin a .45. I'd blame the little gun on the girl.

He's been retired for years and this whole incident just adds to the eye sore to the NFL of players getting in trouble with the law. This isn't just KC news it's front page ESPN news. He made alot of money playing football, managed to get a job in broadcasting after his career to stay around the game, had evertyhing going for him, and still can't keep his nose clean. I just don't get it with these guys :shake:

KCinNY
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
"No Officer Smith, you may not search my car."

"I'm asserting my fourth amendment privilege against illegal searches and seizures guaranteed by the founding fathers."

"Am I under arrest or am I free to go?"

trndobrd
07-08-2007, 02:48 PM
"No Officer Smith, you may not search my car."

"I'm asserting my fourth amendment privilege against illegal searches and seizures guaranteed by the founding fathers."

"Am I under arrest or am I free to go?"

Bing! Bing! Bing!

Rain Man
07-08-2007, 03:25 PM
The only good thing about this is that it means that he's probably kept in contact with Mike Bell over the years. It's nice to see those lifelong friendships.

Sam Hall
07-08-2007, 04:06 PM
new discovery

http://nobillmaas.blogspot.com/2006/09/his-hands-are-like-cobras.html

Chief Chief
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I tried to hang with him one night and I had a horrible hang over, but again not him, he was up and adam at 5:30 just like every other time. I don't know how the guy could do it.

Two words: ILLEGAL STIMULANTS

Phobia
07-08-2007, 04:14 PM
If Michael Irvin still has a job, why is Bill Mass' in jeopardy?

Rain Man
07-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Because part of this should be about job performance and Michael Irvin does meaningful, knowledgeable football analyses and presents them in a cogent and clever style that relates to both serious and casual football fans alike?

Okay, never mind. We've eliminated one reason.

Eleazar
07-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Well, Irvin was a more notable player. But there is another reason I think is a bigger factor and one which I will leave to everyone's imagination.

munkey
07-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, Irvin was a more notable player. But there is another reason I think is a bigger factor and one which I will leave to everyone's imagination.

Like..."He's a brother that some can relate to...Like Shannon Sharpe?"

Did I say that or was is just my imagination?

mightyphoenix1
07-08-2007, 08:22 PM

I thought ESPN released Irvin?

nychief
07-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Mass knows how to party.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought ESPN released Irvin?

he was picked up by cnn shortly after. His banter with wolf blitzer is well informed

Deberg_1990
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Because Irvin is a HoF'er, and Maas is a "has been" not known outside of KC.

gblowfish
07-09-2007, 06:25 PM
How long till Billy Bob gets kicked out of the Chiefs Ambassadors?
Fox dumped him today.
Taking bets on days...hours...?
http://tinyurl.com/3cdwge

Drew
07-10-2007, 12:10 AM
two outta three?

gblowfish
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Is that a giant bale of cheebah behind Mike Bell?

Bob Dole
07-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Is that a giant bale of cheebah behind Mike Bell?

And why the hell is there a stool out in the middle of a hayfield?

pikesome
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM

For milkin' the cows, duh.

Chief Pote
07-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Probably because there's horses and cows in them there fields. :D

Bob Dole
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
What kind of moron milks a cow out in the middle of the field?

boogblaster
07-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Billy boy is in trouble it sounds like..I hate that..his football-camp was the first camp Boog II went too.....

opraider
07-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Could'nt have happened to a better person.

Rain Man
07-10-2007, 07:53 PM

The stool is a metaphor. A three-legged stool needs three strong legs or it will collapse. Similarly, the Chiefs' defensive line at the time had three linemen who each represent one of the legs of the metaphorical stool.

Either that or Maas was all drugged up and couldn't stand up without something to lean on.

pikesome
07-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Could'nt have happened to a better person.

If your user name is an indicator, it's the pot-kettle affair.

opraider
07-11-2007, 07:40 PM
If your user name is an indicator, it's the pot-kettle affair.
Maybe, but I've been here since his playing days and have seen him at a couple of bars and I swear he must of had a chest cold, because it was so puffed out(he acted like his Shit did'nt stink) and he also had Dino Hackett with him a couple of times,boy we know how long he lasted.