PDA

View Full Version : My experience with a Cop and Guitar Center

teedubya
07-07-2007, 11:09 PM
So, I'm driving up 291 North headed with my 5 year old son to Guitar Center, where we were gonna purchase a new Zildjian Drum Cymbal and Cowbell, for his year old drum set. Son has been jamming on it lately and getting really good.

Last year, he really wanted drums, so we worked out a deal where if he had 50 stars for good behavior, then we would buy him a drumset... so he was great and had 47 stars when the $99 drumset went on sale at Guitar Center.

It was 6:52 and I called the store. The Asst Manager Ryan answered the phone. I asked what time they closed, he said 7pm. Bummer. He asked how far away I was. I mentioned about 10-15 minutes away.

"No Problem. Come on in, we will unlock the door for you."

Whoa! How nice. [keep reading, I'm getting to the cop.]

We are headed back to Guitar Center, after watching Transformers... cruising up 291N past Woods Chapel... and my tire pops... Drivers Back... didn't sound like a flat, nor did it feel like I had a flat.

But something was blatantly awry... So, I slow down, put my hazards on and pull over on the side of the road. Behind me, I see a cop turn on his lights.

I open the car door and get out and look at my tire, then go to the trunk. The Cop comes up and is very friendly. What a ****ing change from traditional civilian/cop encounters. Anyway, Officer Dick, of the Missouri Highway Patrol... was literally, a dick. But, he was probably the nicest cop ever.

For one, he never asked for my id. He was very cordial with my son. He helps me with tire. Pulls his car up a little over on the slow lane, and stands out there, so that I have a good shield, while I change the tire.

He then went back to his car, and came back with 14 different Kansas City Royals baseball cards for my kiddo. He politely asked, "May I give your son these baseball cards? I complied, obviously. heh.

But, you hear about a bunch of asshole cops out there, I at least wanted to spread the news of one was and wasn't a Dick.

So, I drive to Guitar Center, and they were cool as shit and gave me a killer deal on a symbol and a cowbell.

Interesting day. Two extraordinary experiences with customer service in one day.

KCChiefsMan
07-07-2007, 11:13 PM
that's a nice change for once

KCFalcon59
07-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Very cool.

Al Bundy
07-07-2007, 11:18 PM
The people at Guitar Center are good people.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I bash them when they're bad. I rally behind them when they're good. It's cool that you had a nice guy who did the "serve" part of the job. I really do think most of them are those guys. The ones who do it for the right reason, have an even temper, and love the job. Nice addition btw for him to give the kid some baseball cards to ease a somewhat stressful ordeal. I've gotten on a lot of these threads and bashed guys for individual activities. In general, I think MOST cops are good guys. I think a lot of the good guys react poorly in certain situations. Glad it was a good experience for you, and more importantly, your son.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
How's that business of his comin along anyway?

Smed1065
07-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Glad to hear the good side here as well.
I know there are more reported wrongs than rights but that is part of the job as stated from the start.

It takes a special type of person to do the low paying job with the risk it contains.

teedubya
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
How's that business of his comin along anyway?

Doing great. Thanks for asking... We finished the business plan, and had an old school marm read over it for punctuation issues. That is done... we are getting it printed this week, and distributing it to several investors.

I have assembled an incredible team. It blows me away sometimes.

I think if you have a good idea, integrity, patience, and determination... anything can happen.

Including nice cops stopping and helping.

My 7-7-7 was bizarro world. heh.

CoMoChief
07-08-2007, 01:24 AM
So, I'm driving up 291 North headed with my 5 year old son to Guitar Center, where we were gonna purchase a new Zildjian Drum Cymbal and Cowbell, for his year old drum set. Son has been jamming on it lately and getting really good.

Last year, he really wanted drums, so we worked out a deal where if he had 50 stars for good behavior, then we would buy him a drumset... so he was great and had 47 stars when the $99 drumset went on sale at Guitar Center.

It was 6:52 and I called the store. The Asst Manager Ryan answered the phone. I asked what time they closed, he said 7pm. Bummer. He asked how far away I was. I mentioned about 10-15 minutes away.

"No Problem. Come on in, we will unlock the door for you."

Whoa! How nice. [keep reading, I'm getting to the cop.]

We are headed back to Guitar Center, after watching Transformers... cruising up 291N past Woods Chapel... and my tire pops... Drivers Back... didn't sound like a flat, nor did it feel like I had a flat.

But something was blatantly awry... So, I slow down, put my hazards on and pull over on the side of the road. Behind me, I see a cop turn on his lights.

I open the car door and get out and look at my tire, then go to the trunk. The Cop comes up and is very friendly. What a ****ing change from traditional civilian/cop encounters. Anyway, Officer Dick, of the Missouri Highway Patrol... was literally, a dick. But, he was probably the nicest cop ever.

For one, he never asked for my id. He was very cordial with my son. He helps me with tire. Pulls his car up a little over on the slow lane, and stands out there, so that I have a good shield, while I change the tire.

He then went back to his car, and came back with 14 different Kansas City Royals baseball cards for my kiddo. He politely asked, "May I give your son these baseball cards? I complied, obviously. heh.

But, you hear about a bunch of asshole cops out there, I at least wanted to spread the news of one was and wasn't a Dick.

So, I drive to Guitar Center, and they were cool as shit and gave me a killer deal on a symbol and a cowbell.

Interesting day. Two extraordinary experiences with customer service in one day.

Are they the baseball cards that we used to get in elementary school where it has some safety quote or something on the back and has no card value.

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I hope you got the name of the officer and that you'll take a few minutes to write a note to his chief, or at least send an e-mail to the department's public relations officer mentioning his name.

That officer deserves a pat on the back from his peers and his superiors. He earned it from the way he acted on behalf of his department tonight.

Your son will remember this night for a long time to come, very likely for the rest of his life. His first encounter with the police probably left him with a favorable impression.

That's an important lesson for those of us who are trying to raise our kids to respect the police.

Bravo for that officer.

Reaper16
07-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Are they the baseball cards that we used to get in elementary school where it has some safety quote or something on the back and has no card value.
The bookmark that I use more often than any I have is a 2000 Carlos Beltran card like that.

Smed1065
07-08-2007, 02:09 AM
No where but here!

Braincase
07-08-2007, 06:37 AM

Just some old cards. Some guy named Honus Wagner, and three guys on the same team named Tinker, Evers, and Chance.

stevieray
07-08-2007, 08:28 AM
you know it's getting bad when doing what you are supposed to do is praised as something special.

alanm
07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Did you check the cards? He probably gave your kid 14 Scott Elarton's. ROFL :cuss:

teedubya
07-08-2007, 10:14 AM

They are Topps, and say nothing about safety. RC-1 through RC-14, are the card numbers

teedubya
07-08-2007, 10:16 AM
I hope you got the name of the officer and that you'll take a few minutes to write a note to his chief, or at least send an e-mail to the department's public relations officer mentioning his name.

That officer deserves a pat on the back from his peers and his superiors. He earned it from the way he acted on behalf of his department tonight.

Your son will remember this night for a long time to come, very likely for the rest of his life. His first encounter with the police probably left him with a favorable impression.

That's an important lesson for those of us who are trying to raise our kids to respect the police.

Bravo for that officer.

I sent an email to the Missouri Highway Patrol office at 291 and 50 in Lees Summit.

----

Hello Officer Johnson,

I wanted to take the time to sent you an email to state how pleased I am with one of your officers.

Officer Dick of Troop A in Lees Summit, helped me and my 5 year old son out yesterday on 291N, when my tire blew out.

He was probably the most cordial and friendly officer that I have ever encountered. He offered great advice on where I should change my tire, as I was stopped on an incline. So, I moved up to a flat plateau, and he moved his car behind me with his lights on, to divert traffic around me, as I changed the tire.

He then went back to car and retrieved 14 Royals baseball cards for my son. He asked if he could them to him, and obviously, I let him.

With so many bad horror stories of police officers over stepping their bounds and being negative and forceful, it was refreshing to have such a positive experience with a police man. Especially with my 5 year old son in the car. This is one of his first encounters with an officer and it will be a good memory for him.

If you could take a moment and forward this over to his commanding officer, I believe that the other officers in his troop could potentially learn from his kindness and helpfulness. He truly 'served'. And I an eternally grateful.

Thank you, and be safe!

Successfully,

Ari Chi3fs

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I sent an email to the Missouri Highway Patrol office at 291 and 50 in Lees Summit.

----

Hello Officer Johnson,

I wanted to take the time to sent you an email to state how pleased I am with one of your officers.

Officer Dick of Troop A in Lees Summit, helped me and my 5 year old son out yesterday on 291N, when my tire blew out.

He was probably the most cordial and friendly officer that I have ever encountered. He offered great advice on where I should change my tire, as I was stopped on an incline. So, I moved up to a flat plateau, and he moved his car behind me with his lights on, to divert traffic around me, as I changed the tire.

He then went back to car and retrieved 14 Royals baseball cards for my son. He asked if he could them to him, and obviously, I let him.

With so many bad horror stories of police officers over stepping their bounds and being negative and forceful, it was refreshing to have such a positive experience with a police man. Especially with my 5 year old son in the car. This is one of his first encounters with an officer and it will be a good memory for him.

If you could take a moment and forward this over to his commanding officer, I believe that the other officers in his troop could potentially learn from his kindness and helpfulness. He truly 'served'. And I an eternally grateful.

Thank you, and be safe!

Successfully,

Ari Chi3fs

Well done.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Precious moments. Love lifted my car.

WilliamTheIrish
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I've never had a bad experience with a Highway Patrolman. Even back in the day when the KHP/MoHP were not expected to stop to assist you when you experienced automotive trouble.

I've been stopped for speeding and even when giving me a ticket KHP have treated me with courtesy and respect. And they get it in return.

I'm happy that the change was made in the KHP administration about 10 years ago that made them a kinder, more accessible LEO.

They are (IMO) a far cry from the local city constables.

blueballs
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
they were pictures of grown Royals
naked - Prince Charles has a Prince Albert

teedubya
07-08-2007, 03:47 PM
they were pictures of grown Royals
naked - Prince Charles has a Prince Albert

You truly are brain dead.

Eleazar
07-08-2007, 04:46 PM

Talk about a backwards perspective

Mr. Flopnuts
07-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I want to know one thing. Was Guitar Center still waiting for you when you got there?

a1na2
07-08-2007, 05:03 PM

----

Hello Officer Johnson,

Thank you, and be safe!

Successfully,

Ari Chi3fs

That's a great story and you did a fine job of paying back the MHP Trooper.

I had an experience in Oklahoma a few years ago. I was on the Indian Nations Turnpike, the speed limit was 75. I was doing 76 and was just about the only car on the road, it was mid morning and I was heading for Arcadia, LA. The Trooper turned around when he passed me and pulled me over for doing 1 MPH over the limit. He issued me a warning and then we talked for a few minutes.

As I got back into my car (company car) I started down the road and looked in my rear view mirror. I was smoking to beat the band. I pulled back over and the OHP stopped again. We checked out the engine (I am inept with mechanic type stuff). We determined that the oil filter had failed, or the design was less than great, and dumped all of the oil out onto the engine block. He gave me a ride to McAllister to the local Wal-Mart. I bought a case of oil and then we headed back to the car. He stayed there as I freshened up the oil supply and then he followed me back to McAllister to the Wal-Mart. That too was above and beyond the call of duty.

I sent a similar letter to the comandant of the OK Highway Patrol. The big guy himself sent me a response as well as the officer in question sent a letter. They were both very nice and didn't even once comment on my over the speed limit experience!

Again, good job on yours and I hope your kid makes you comfortable in your old age when he is a world class drummer!

teedubya
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
I want to know one thing. Was Guitar Center still waiting for you when you got there?

Yep. I also called his manager today to let him know about the great customer service.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Yep. I also called his manager today to let him know about the great customer service.

Last question. Did you buy a lottery ticket? ;)

teedubya
07-08-2007, 05:50 PM
heh. no. But I did think a couple times about going to the boats last night. Didn't want to roll up there with the donut tire though.

On another note, I went to Musicians Friend today, and there were some mega clearance deals. Oh man.

I got this clearance item... it was missing the cymbals, and the foot pedal for the bass drum...

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/4/7/5/433475.jpg

But i got it for $19.90. Yes, nineteen dollars and ninety cents. They were clearing stuff out.

I was going to get a tom drum, figured I would spend 50ish... upgraded 3 components on the set for less than $20.

Unreal. I'm on a good roll.

Simply Red
07-08-2007, 05:58 PM
you know it's getting bad when doing what you are supposed to do is praised as something special.
Very true, Additionally you'll notice everything that used to be right is now wrong and everything that used to be wrong is now right. If you pay attention you'll see the bolded every damned day. Kinda sad really.

Phobia
07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
On another note, I went to Musicians Friend today, and there were some mega clearance deals. Oh man.

So much for the loyalty earned by guitar center thanks to their outstanding customer service.

teedubya
07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
So much for the loyalty earned by guitar center thanks to their outstanding customer service.

They are run by the same company. :)

Phobia
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Heh. I actually don't care. Home Depot treats me very well but I won't hesitate to go to Lowes or elsewhere if I can get a better price on something.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I have got those same drums with Z cymbles on them payed 250 shipped for it. Lucky bastard. I like it though good starter kit. The instructions sucked ass

crazycoffey
07-08-2007, 08:09 PM
So do you play in a "Blue Oyster Cult" cover band????

Thanks for sharing the positive story. This place could sure use hearing it.....

BTW;
I need more cowbell.......

POND_OF_RED
07-08-2007, 08:33 PM
He didn't even get 50 stars...your kid is gonna walk all over you if you give in that easily just cause the drumset is on sale... Kids these days have it too easy :shake:

teedubya
07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I have got those same drums with Z cymbles on them payed 250 shipped for it. Lucky bastard. I like it though good starter kit. The instructions sucked ass

Oh man... trying to figure out the damn toms, was a pain. It didnt state anywhere that you had to drill holes for the bracket component. I owned it, but I think that may have been part of why it was so cheap.

Did your toms have the mount bracket already installed?

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 08:38 PM
You don't have to drill holes in the top toms. They come with like a metal plate and you hang the toms off of them from the metal lip. SO you can take the toms off easily and adjust the toms.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
If you already drilled it it shouldn't matter teh tops sound adiquate at best and it's not like you use them exept for fills unless you are advanced. Adjusted correctly the snare sounds alright. the high hat comes with two pads that I still i am not sure I used it right. I put these two soft pads between the hat so it closes tight when you use close it. I think it might be wrong though.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 08:43 PM
wait nevermind i ****ed it up again. I just looked at a picture and Now i figured out how to do it.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
you have these half moon metal pieces you put those on the plates then you hang the toms on them

teedubya
07-08-2007, 08:53 PM
you have these half moon metal pieces you put those on the plates then you hang the toms on them

I understand that... I didnt have the pieces installed that holds the toms to the half moon piece.

I had to drill holes for the component, and drill a big hole so the metal component would fit inside the tom.

A bit of a hassle, but no bigs.

teedubya
07-08-2007, 09:02 PM
You don't have to drill holes in the top toms. They come with like a metal plate and you hang the toms off of them from the metal lip. SO you can take the toms off easily and adjust the toms.

Yeah, that is what I had to install... the metal plate and black component. heh.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't think you had to drill them i thought you did too until i looked closely at the pictures but if it sounds ok who cares.

teedubya
07-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Demonpenz and Ari Chi3fs threads don't seem to take off as much.

SPchief
07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I know the Chief of Police and one of the top sargents here in Raytown. Two of the nicest guys I know.

KC Kings
07-09-2007, 07:34 AM
He was planning on using the taser until you told him you were going to buy a cowbell.

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/will_ferrell_snl_1.gif