PDA

View Full Version : Church of England wants compensation from Sony for Video Game

pr_capone
07-08-2007, 03:36 AM
WTF??? Public places, be it a church or not, are now off limits for video games? Much less, if used, you have to pay compensation?!?!!?

Courtesy of Fark.com

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20070708a5.html

LONDON (Kyodo) The European arm of Sony's computer games unit on Friday apologized "unreservedly" to the people of Manchester for using the city's cathedral as a location in a gory video game.

Using Manchester Cathedral's interior in the PlayStation 3 game caused outrage, with church officials describing it as "virtual desecration."

However, following a meeting with Church of England leaders, David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., sent a letter to the Manchester Evening News and also placed an ad in the newspaper expressing regret.

While welcoming the apology, the cathedral called on the company to withdraw the game — "Resistance: Fall of Man" — and pay compensation. The Church of England institution also wants Sony and other game manufacturers to sign a set of Sacred Digital Guidelines to prevent a repeat of the row.

Smed1065
07-08-2007, 03:38 AM
I want to retire as well. Fudge them.......

Smed1065
07-08-2007, 03:39 AM
They make a killing on my day care and I am not religious but I pay taxes.......

Lzen
07-08-2007, 07:36 AM
That is stupid.

Simplex3
07-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I have to side with the church on this one. And no, a church is NOT public property. It is privately held and you do in fact need permission to use it.

RealSNR
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Sony should just write them a check, sign that proposition, and call it good. It's dumb that they should have to make an edit to the game for that.