PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Preseason Power Rankings.

JimNasium
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Probably a repost but I'm too lazy to search and you can't make me search. I have no problem with where they have us ranked.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-07-07-power-rankings_N.htm

1-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Notes: The skies above Foxborough, Mass., have never been clearer entering a season. Unless catastrophe strikes in the form of a major injury, the Patriots should contend for the Super Bowl. (Eight first-place votes)

2-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
Notes: The Chargers are talented, but trouble seems to build at playoff time when they have lost their last four games. Super Bowl XLII is possible, but their postseason history could be hard to shake in January. (Three first-place votes)

3-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Notes: They might find having a target on their backs as Super Bowl champs a big obstacle .But look for the Colts, defensive holes aside, to win yet another divisional crown and go deep into the postseason. (Two first-place votes)

4-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
Notes: Because there aren't many dominant teams in the NFC, the Saints' fortunes should stay clear and sunny all season. Another NFC South title and deep playoff run are possible.

5-BALTIMORE RAVENS
Notes: By keeping the core of its team, Baltimore might avoid a slipup and repeat as AFC North champs. But with aging leaders such as Ray Lewis and Steve McNair, warning signs are approaching.

6-CHICAGO BEARS
Notes: Another NFC North title could be in the cards. But it will be harder because the schedule gets much tougher after last season's 13-3 campaign toward the Super Bowl. The defense must stay tough to get back to the title game.

7-DENVER BRONCOS
Notes: There's been a lot of change in the AFC West this offseason, especially in Denver. The Broncos could narrow the gap with the Chargers, and there's no reason to believe they can't contend in the conference.

8-CINCINNATI BENGALS
Notes: Warning signs for the Bengals — They could win nine or 10 games, finish second in the AFC North and still miss the playoffs. The AFC is that strong.

9-PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Notes: Turbulent times in the NFC East could benefit the Eagles. With change happening in Dallas, Philly has a good shot at a sixth division crown in seven years. Returning to the Super Bowl will be a tougher task.

10-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
Notes: All three NFC West competitors have improved, but the Seahawks have won the last three division crowns. The team's core (Hasselbeck, Alexander) remains, and so does its chances of another playoff spot.

11-DALLAS COWBOYS
Notes: Wade Phillips inherited a playoff team with lots of potential. But last year's wonderboy, Tony Romo, must not slip into a sophomore slump for Dallas to make a deep playoff run.

12-N.Y. JETS
Notes: There have been upgrades on offense (Thomas Jones) and defense (top pick Darrelle Revis and second-rounder David Harris). But there still don't seem to be enough 3-4 compatible players on defense.

13-PITTSBURGH STEELERS
Notes: At the outset, it looks like a transitional season in Pittsburgh as the team adjusts to life without Bill Cowher, Joey Porter and Jeff Hartings and with new coach Mike Tomlin. But this is a squad that's about 18 months removed from a Super Bowl title.

14-TIE

CAROLINA PANTHERS
Notes: The Panthers have a favorable schedule, but did little to upgrade their roster outside of the draft. QB Jake Delhomme enters the season on uncertain ground, but last year's preseason sleeper pick should still contend for a playoff spot.

14-TIE

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Notes: The Jaguars underachieved at 8-8 last season and they did not add many new parts in the offseason. Unless the quarterback position stabilizes, another mediocre season may be coming.

16-TIE

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
Notes: The 49ers have assembled a lot of talent, and they have a chance to end a streak of four seasons without a winning record. Alex Smith is maturing at QB, and if Vernon Davis, et al., provide weapons, the team could contend for its first NFC West crown since 2002.

16-TIE

ATLANTA FALCONS
Notes: New coach Bobby Petrino brings optimism. But the cloud of uncertainty around Michael Vick threatens the team's long-term forecast. Yet if the Falcons stay healthy and the draft picks deliver, their outlook could still be bright.

18-ST. LOUIS RAMS
Notes: Last season brought improvement for the Rams. But this offseason brought upgrades for their entire division. The talent — and experience — of Marc Bulger could help tip the NFC West in St. Louis' favor.

19-TENNESSEE TITANS
Notes: Year No. 2 for Vince Young brings tests against the Colts and Saints in the first three weeks. The QB has proved he is a sparkplug, but a huge problem remains: Who is going to catch the ball?

20-N.Y. GIANTS
Notes: The Giants enter the season as the '06 playoff squad least likely to make it back to the postseason. Tiki Barber left a giant void in the backfield for Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns. And Eli Manning faces vociferous critics if he falters.

21-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Notes: After losing Trent Green this offseason and key O-linemen the past few seasons, the Chiefs must patch up some holes. The defense is a strong point. But with giant questions under center, this season is a question mark.

22-ARIZONA CARDINALS
Notes: Is this when Arizona finally turns the corner? They've got a bolstered line, a star running back, stud receivers and a Hollywood QB. This team should score a lot of points, and it's up to new coach Ken Whisenhunt to deliver.

23-BUFFALO BILLS
Notes: The O-line is stronger, a plus for rookie running back Marshawn Lynch. But Nate Clements' departure left a big hole in the defensive backfield. Tough competition in the AFC East makes the outlook for Buffalo bleak.

24-GREEN BAY PACKERS
Notes: Brett Favre is back. But you wonder if he's asking himself why. The failure to acquire Randy Moss and the lack of a proven running back are ominous signs. Last season's 4-0 flurry to end the campaign will be tough to sustain in 2007.

25-TIE

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Notes: Too old (Joey Galloway) or too young (Gaines Adams). That's the theme in Tampa. The Bucs look to be another year away from contending, which could leave Jon Gruden and new QB Jeff Garcia frustrated.

25-TIE

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Notes: Rick Spielman, Brad Childress and Co. swear they have a plan, but it's hard to see it panning out anytime soon. They're relying on second-year QB Tarvaris Jackson, but that's a tall order when he's missing dependable receiving options. They defense is a strength, but the offense may be a liability.

27-WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Notes: Aside from a brief 6-0 run in 2005, the Redskins cannot break out of an extended cold snap. The team is 21-27 since Joe Gibbs came back in 2004, and his Hall of Fame resume is starting to get tarnished.

28-MIAMI DOLPHINS
Notes: There's a lot to prove in Miami. New QB Trent Green will provide leadership and experience. And this is a squad that needs a giant boost of confidence under new coach Cam Cameron.

29-DETROIT LIONS
Notes: Detroit lost eight games by seven points or fewer in 2006. A better offense should develop under dependable QB Jon Kitna and stud receivers Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson. Second-year coach Rod Marinelli continues to implement his vision.

30-CLEVELAND BROWNS
Notes: The Browns made a big splash on draft day, but top picks Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn are unlikely to have a big effect this season. There's reason for optimism in Cleveland, but the payoff won't likely arrive this season.

31-HOUSTON TEXANS
Notes: The offense has a new QB (Matt Schaub) and new running back (Ahman Green). But the Texans still need to improve their sagging offensive line.

32-OAKLAND RAIDERS
Notes: With a solid defense and and upgraded offense, the Raiders could approach .500 after four consecutive dismal seasons. New coach Lane Kiffin needs to establish himself and bring stability back to a franchise that ran amok in 2006.

• Panelists: Deborah Barrington, Jarrett Bell, Chris Colston, Jim Corbett, Nate Davis, Arin Karimian, Sean Leahy, Tom Pedulla, Matt Pitzer, Tom Weir, Larry Weisman, Skip Wood and Scott Zucker

CoMoChief
07-08-2007, 12:48 PM
You can tell certain people don't pay any attention.

Losing Shields sucks, because he was a great Chief for a long time. Last season you could tell he was slowing down a little. Welbourn is a hell of a guard. People seem to forget that.

McIntosh is better than Black. I don't understand why people don't ever see this. Terry is better than Sampson, Turley, or who ever the hell we had over there.

Having said we upgraded the Oline, it still needs to be the number one focal point of next season's draft and FA. If we could get a good tackle or two in the first day of next season's draft that would be great. I look at Terry and McIntosh and I see them as great backup players. If we want to control the clock on offense line that will allow LJ to gain alot of yards (5 or 6) on first down. What you do on first down is the major key in having a ball control offense.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-08-2007, 01:10 PM

Losing Shields sucks, because he was a great Chief for a long time. Last season you could tell he was slowing down a little. Welbourn is a hell of a guard. People seem to forget that.

McIntosh is better than Black. I don't understand why people don't ever see this. Terry is better than Sampson, Turley, or who ever the hell we had over there.

Having said we upgraded the Oline, it still needs to be the number one focal point of next season's draft and FA. If we could get a good tackle or two in the first day of next season's draft that would be great. I look at Terry and McIntosh and I see them as great backup players. If we want to control the clock on offense line that will allow LJ to gain alot of yards (5 or 6) on first down. What you do on first down is the major key in having a ball control offense.Well Stated :clap:

JimNasium
07-08-2007, 01:13 PM

Having said we upgraded the Oline, it still needs to be the number one focal point of next season's draft and FA. If we could get a good tackle or two in the first day of next season's draft that would be great. I look at Terry and McIntosh and I see them as great backup players. If we want to control the clock on offense line that will allow LJ to gain alot of yards (5 or 6) on first down. What you do on first down is the major key in having a ball control offense.
My concern is not with the O-line. I actually think they will be serviceable this year. It's the unknown at QB that I think will kill us this year. The D should keep us in a lot of games but a one-dimensional O and conservative play calling isn't going to overwhelm many teams.

htismaqe
07-08-2007, 01:21 PM
My concern is not with the O-line. I actually think they will be serviceable this year. It's the unknown at QB that I think will kill us this year. The D should keep us in a lot of games but a one-dimensional O and conservative play calling isn't going to overwhelm many teams.

Croyle isn't gonna "kill" us. We survived last year with Damon Huard under center...

Valiant
07-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I could care less about the spot since power rankings are useless before the season but what I find funny is losing Trent is a big deal now.. Hell when we were trying to trade him it was he was old, hurt and couldn't get done anymore so he wasn't worth much in trade value.. Now that he is gone they are saying that a old, hurt and inefficient Trent Green is a loss for us..

chagrin
07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
I would like to know why Denver is so far ahead of KC on the list. The QB situation isn't HUGELY in their favor, neither are their WR's anymore. I don't get it, is champ and dre bly, john lynch sam adams enough to keep them that high up?

chagrin
07-08-2007, 01:39 PM
a one-dimensional O and conservative play calling isn't going to overwhelm many teams.

Then again, he has a valid point, regardless of what %age of run vs pass plays were called, our "scheme" looked bad in that playoff game, I'd hate to see that again all year.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I would like to know why Denver is so far ahead of KC on the list. The QB situation isn't HUGELY in their favor, neither are their WR's anymore. I don't get it, is champ and dre bly, john lynch sam adams enough to keep them that high up?

I think that, for some reason, people think Travis Henry is the second coming of Jim Brown......

#7 is too high, IMO.

I'd probably put them between 12-15.

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Well, on the chart I'm reading (above) the Broncos are fifth in the AFC. Who gives a damn where they are in the league?

chagrin
07-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Well, on the chart I'm reading (above) the Broncos are fifth in the AFC. Who gives a damn where they are in the league?

5th in the entire AFC is also too high

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
I think the Bengals are too low, and the Broncos and Jags are too high.

Then again, look at the so-called "panelists."

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 01:54 PM
5th in the entire AFC is also too high

I'll play. Bengals? Jets? Steelers? Who ranks higher than the Broncos in the AFC, then?

The Browns? The Chiefs?

chief52
07-08-2007, 01:57 PM
32-OAKLAND RAIDERS
Notes: With a solid defense and and upgraded offense, the Raiders could approach .500 after four consecutive dismal seasons.

Oakland could approach .500, but they are rated 32 of 32. Which is it??? I guess everyone else if going to finish .500 or better
:shrug:

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I'll play. Bengals? Jets? Steelers? Who ranks higher than the Broncos in the AFC, then?

The Browns? The Chiefs?

The only team I could make an argument for in the AFC is the Bengals. They belong ahead of Denver IMO.

The Jets? Close. We'll see.

The Steelers? Could be, and probably should be by the end of the year, but they play in the toughest division in the league, and it's the first year with a new coach.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:03 PM

The Browns? The Chiefs?
I gotta go Bengals and Jags.

My AFC power rankings as of now:

1. NE
2. SD
3. Colts
4. Bengals
5. Baltimore
6. (tie) Donks
6. (tie) Jags
7. Jets
8. (tie) Chiefs
8. (tie) Steelers

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 02:04 PM
The only team I could make an argument for in the AFC is the Bengals. They belong ahead of Denver IMO.

The Jets? Close. We'll see.

The Steelers? Could be, and probably should be by the end of the year, but they play in the toughest division in the league, and it's the first year with a new coach.

I could make an argument for the Bengals as well, but it wouldn't be a very convincing one.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:05 PM
I could make an argument for the Bengals as well, but it wouldn't be a very convincing one.
Come now... it's an elite offense with an improving D.

kcxiv
Herm wont let Croyle hurt the team to much. He will simply the shit out of the gameplan like he did with Huard.

I think we could be a better team this year then last year. We may not make the play off's but i still think we will be a tougher team. Most of DV's guys are gone.

ClevelandBronco
8. (tie) Chiefs
8. (tie) Steelers

The Steelers must be much worse off than I thought.

Bugeater
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Well, maybe to you it wouldn't be convincing.

chagrin
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM

The Browns? The Chiefs?

I will give you 6 teams in no particular order

Ravens
Bengals
Patriots
Chargers
Colts
Steelers
JETS

Hell, the Titans might even be better than Denver this year

We don't have to agree and Denver has made some decent free agent signings but even though Travis Henry is a good RB, your team has nothing that scares me anymore, no offense to you personally.

Now, your turn

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
The Steelers must be much worse off than I thought.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were here for football conversation.

Zings are good, too, I suppose.

Let's see... let's see... what can I say... let's see...

Well, uh, considering how poorly they'll play, their paying fans might want to consider them the Pittsburg Stealers.

Alright I'll defer to you on the zingers. Get back to me when we talk pigskin.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I gotta go Bengals and Jags.

My AFC power rankings as of now:

1. NE
2. SD
3. Colts
4. Bengals
5. Baltimore
6. (tie) Donks
6. (tie) Jags
7. Jets
8. (tie) Chiefs
8. (tie) Steelers

Just a little different:

NE
Colts
SD
Bengals
Baltimore
Jets
Denver
Steelers
Chiefs
Jags

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
NE
Colts
SD
Bengals
Baltimore
Jets
Denver
Steelers
Chiefs
Jags
Why is everybody down on the Jags? Because they have a couple talented QBs vying for the starting position?

The Jags are a playoff team this year. They have an elite D that nobody recognizes as such and an improving O.

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 02:10 PM

My bad. I missed your reasons for stating an obviously idiotic opinion. Did you erase them?

chagrin
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Why is everybody down on the Jags? Because they have a couple talented QBs vying for the starting position?

The Jags are a playoff team this year. They have an elite D that nobody recognizes as such and an improving O.

Speaking for myself only, I watch them every week down here in Florida, and they do have an elite D BUT by a couple of talented QB's, who do you mean exactly? Byron Leftwich cannot read defenses, furthermore he's about as accurate as Michael Vick. David Garrard is pretty good, and should start for them this year, IMO.

They are not a playoff team though, and just because they routinely beat up on the worst teams in the league, doesn't mean they are a contender. They've proved the last few years that they are not.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 02:12 PM

I head the same song and dance last year......

ClevelandBronco
07-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I have an afternoon at the pool with my kids. It'll have to wait.

OnTheWarpath15
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Speaking for myself only, I watch them every week down here in Florida, and they do have an elite D BUT by a couple of talented QB's, who do you mean exactly? Byron Leftwich cannot read defenses, furthermore he's about as accurate as Michael Vick. David Garrard is pretty good, and should start for them this year, IMO.

They are not a playoff team though, and just because they routinely beat up on the worst teams in the legue, doesn't mean they are a contender. They've proved the last few years that they are not.

Exactly.

IIRC, their last 10 games in 2005 were against teams with losing records.

And they proved their worth in the wild-card round.

28-3 loss to NE, for those who don't remember.....

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:14 PM
My bad. I missed your reasons for stating an obviously idiotic opinion.
I didn't even feel you shift it into gear but you're clearly just laying on the gas.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 02:17 PM

They are not a playoff team though, and just because they routinely beat up on the worst teams in the league, doesn't mean they are a contender. They've proved the last few years that they are not.
Well I have to defer to you because I only watched a handful of games.

I think Leftwich will be a good backup. Garrard's clearly more talented and should start. Gray's a great 3rd stringer and if the Jags had any sense they'd trade off Leftwich and groom Gray as their #2.

beer bacon
07-08-2007, 02:31 PM
I see more questions with Denver's defense then in seasons past. They could take a step back if they are as weak up the middle as they look. Am I the only one that sees this?

kcchiefsus
07-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Because they look good every year and yet they still find a way to lose. They have an elite D? Then how did our shitty offense put up 30+ on them? They also lost both starting safeties from last year.

Logical
07-08-2007, 03:47 PM
32-OAKLAND RAIDERS
Notes: With a solid defense and and upgraded offense, the Raiders could approach .500 after four consecutive dismal seasons. New coach Lane Kiffin needs to establish himself and bring stability back to a franchise that ran amok in 2006.

This makes no sense, will they approach .500 if so they should not be ranked 32nd. Weird logic somehow.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Because they look good every year and yet they still find a way to lose. They have an elite D? Then how did our shitty offense put up 30+ on them? They also lost both starting safeties from last year.
Our offense scored 28 on them, not 30+.

I could explain it by saying they had a bad game? Why not. Because they were top 5 in points allowed for the season, and I'm more inclined to go with that than I am a December visit to Arrowhead.