PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Maxey

Beerthirty
07-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Was Marcus Maxey very highly touted? Is he ready to back up or play the nickel? You never hear much. I know he was picked up off our practice squad by the Bears and then cut and we brought him back. How was he in college? I think he played at Miami.

Hoover
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
He has to be the Bears signed him for at least 24 to 48 hours...

Would I feel great if he has to start? No, but such is the NFL you can't have great depth at every position, especially CB.

CoMoChief
07-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Miami genreally produces average to good DB's, or at least they are highly ranked scouting wise coming into the NFL. I say we just give him a shot based on that. lol

Other Miami DB's in the NFL include:

Duane Starks
Philip Buchannon
Mike Rumph
Ed Reed
Antrel Rolle
Kelly Gennings
Devin Hester

SoCalBronco
07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Maxey came out of nowhere in his senior year at Miami. He had accomplished very little until then, but he had a fine final year with the Hurricanes, beating out Devin Hester on the cornerback depth chart because he was more consistent and more refined in his technique. He is a good athlete.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
The great mystery that was/is Marcus Maxey.

Drafted him with our 5th rounder. He's clearly a CB tailored to the Cover 2, because after the Chiefs cut him another Cover 2 defense, the Bears, tried him out. Now he's back with the Chiefs again and you have to wonder, what did we ever see in this guy?

It's kind of hard to figure, especially considering the Herm Edwards era was responsible for one of the most ingenious picks in Chiefs history, the 7th for Jarrad Page last year, not to mention the wisdom of selecting Tamba Hali and, in my opinion, the underrated Bernard Pollard out of Purdue.

I can understand not hearing anything from Tre Stallings. Tre was drafted as a guard, and served on the Chiefs' depth chart as backup RG, and guess how many days you're going to get to fill in when you're Will Shields' sub...

But Maxey was a 5th round pick on a team starved for youth at that position, and he's done nothing to distinguish himself from the swarms of mediocre talent backing up Law & Surtain -- matter of fact, seeing how Herm momentarily removed him from the team, he's done excessively less.

Who is this mystery man who saw basically no time during his first year as a pro?

Well he was part of a killer CB tandem at Miami, where he played across from the Madden-defying Devin Hester. You can call it serendipity that both of these gents were so highly rated coming out of college, or you can call Miami's secondary a bust factory. Either way Maxey's been cut twice in his first year and Hester's play is so poor they're trying to put him on offense.

And what's makes him so good for the Cover 2? He's apparently smart as a devil, and a physical, instinctive CB. His speed won't knock your socks off but it doesn't need to in the right defensive setting.

So where the hell did he go? You never know... I've seen him play a couple times in 2006, and I saw him on the field in the preseason, but in such limited installments I couldn't form any particular judgement about him. He seemed to hold his place on the field, he wasn't beat, but he didn't make any plays, either. You just attribute it to the system, and pray that his positives begin to outweigh the historically poor odds that this man's never going to become anything in a professional football uniform.

ChiefsFire
07-08-2007, 07:46 PM
The great mystery that was/is Marcus Maxey.

Drafted him with our 5th rounder. He's clearly a CB tailored to the Cover 2, because after the Chiefs cut him another Cover 2 defense, the Bears, tried him out. Now he's back with the Chiefs again and you have to wonder, what did we ever see in this guy?

It's kind of hard to figure, especially considering the Herm Edwards era was responsible for one of the most ingenious picks in Chiefs history, the 7th for Jarrad Page last year, not to mention the wisdom of selecting Tamba Hali and, in my opinion, the underrated Bernard Pollard out of Purdue.

I can understand not hearing anything from Tre Stallings. Tre was drafted as a guard, and served on the Chiefs' depth chart as backup RG, and guess how many days you're going to get to fill in when you're Will Shields' sub...

But Maxey was a 5th round pick on a team starved for youth at that position, and he's done nothing to distinguish himself from the swarms of mediocre talent backing up Law & Surtain -- matter of fact, seeing how Herm momentarily removed him from the team, he's done excessively less.

Who is this mystery man who saw basically no time during his first year as a pro?

Well he was part of a killer CB tandem at Miami, where he played across from the Madden-defying Devin Hester. You can call it serendipity that both of these gents were so highly rated coming out of college, or you can call Miami's secondary a bust factory. Either way Maxey's been cut twice in his first year and Hester's play is so poor they're trying to put him on offense.

And what's makes him so good for the Cover 2? He's apparently smart as a devil, and a physical, instinctive CB. His speed won't knock your socks off but it doesn't need to in the right defensive setting.

So where the hell did he go? You never know... I've seen him play a couple times in 2006, and I saw him on the field in the preseason, but in such limited installments I couldn't form any particular judgement about him. He seemed to hold his place on the field, he wasn't beat, but he didn't make any plays, either. You just attribute it to the system, and pray that his positives begin to outweigh the historically poor odds that this man's never going to become anything in a professional football uniform.

What magazine did you cut and paste that gem out of?

RustShack
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Maxey would of started at almost any other college if he didn't go to Miami. Hes a pretty good CB but he never got much action until his senior year because of all the other great players.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 07:58 PM
What magazine did you cut and paste that gem out of?
Didn't cut and paste it.

Occasionally I kick into Editorial Gear and then it's farewell, Sally.

ChiefsFire
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Didn't cut and paste it.

Occasionally I kick into Editorial Gear and then it's farewell, Sally.

Just givin ya crap

That was Warpaint Illustrated worthy

good job

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
That was Warpaint Illustrated worthy
Jesus. :banghead:

Beerthirty
07-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe he can come out of nowhere again like his senior year.

Eleazar
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I dunno, never saw him on the field.

B_Ambuehl
07-08-2007, 08:29 PM
He was drafted based on his possible potential. He never had a chance to play at Miami until his Sr. year because they had guys like Antrel Rolle in front of him and I imagine the thought was, "Well imagine how good he'd be if he had played 3 years?"

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
He was drafted because he was a tailor-made Cover 2 CB.

You know how guys say you can always find perfectly good interior OL and Cover 2 CBs in the middle to late picks in the draft?

Herm saw that opportunity in Maxey. Now I've never seen the guy play outside of a Chiefs uniform, but I like the idea.

Beerthirty
07-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Who can post the draft video of him like the ones for this years pics? I really enjoyed watching them.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 08:37 PM
I just looked one up on Yahoo!, but they dump those things after a year.

They said the clips were unavailable.

Phobia
07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I saw him at rookie camp last year, which was probably where he saw his most action of the year. He was absolutely horrible. I was surprised he wasn't cut.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I saw him at rookie camp last year, which was probably where he saw his most action of the year. He was absolutely horrible. I was surprised he wasn't cut.
Really?

Because he looked competent for like the 4 plays I saw him step onto the field last year.

Why'd he look so bad?

Phobia
07-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Really?

Because he looked competent for like the 4 plays I saw him step onto the field last year.

Why'd he look so bad?

He just didn't look like an NFL caliber athlete to me. For one thing, he couldn't catch the ball. I know the big joke is that coaches take the aspiring WR's who can't catch and turn them into DB's but you should be able to catch a football at this level. But that wasn't the only thing I'm judging him negatively on. His footwork was poor as well. He couldn't time his jumps. He just looked plain bad.

I can understand having a bad day or a bad camp. But you at least have to possess some athletic ability. He didn't show it.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
You have to have some athletic ability to make it at the U

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
He just didn't look like an NFL caliber athlete to me. For one thing, he couldn't catch the ball. I know the big joke is that coaches take the aspiring WR's who can't catch and turn them into DB's but you should be able to catch a football at this level. But that wasn't the only thing I'm judging him negatively on. His footwork was poor as well. He couldn't time his jumps. He just looked plain bad.

I can understand having a bad day or a bad camp. But you at least have to possess some athletic ability. He didn't show it.
Well obviously I could defer to you, but yeah, nothing I saw on the guy suggested he was a natural athlete. He's obviously smart (double-major in psychology and criminology), I read that he was physical, and that he has good instincts.

Hands are one of the biggest issues when it comes to working in the secondary, so I follow you there. His entire career at Miami he registered a grand total of 2 interceptions and that's not going to cut it.

For the record, I have read that he's raw, so who knows. Maybe he's got some developing to do.

Edit: Here's Rivals.com's assessment of Maxey prior to the 2006 Draft (http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=1162&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport#scouting):
Pros:Maxey is a very athletic defender who played at a few positions, mainly as a nickel corner until his late career. He is one of the better corners in this draft when it comes to raw size, speed, leaping ability and overall athleticism. He has a nice level of development in press coverage, which will help him compete for a nickel corner role early in his career. His awareness in coverage must improve to play in nickel package, but he has the athletic ability to be a very good addition with fine potential.
Cons: He was slow to develop due to questionable instincts and the depth of the Miami backfield. He still needs a lot of reps because he is raw and inexperienced in all areas of cornerback technique. He is often late reacting and out of position for making a play. He has quick footwork but is not smooth and clean in his backpedal and will take some false steps.
Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds with a 41.5” vertical jump and a 10’9” broad jump. He did 14 reps in the 225-pound bench press.
Contrasts a bit with what we've seen, but there you go. Size/speed-wise, he's there. He just needs to develop better and hone those instincts.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
That said he was very athletic... I think either him or Tyrone will be our nickelback if we don't pick up someone else.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
The NCB will be Sapp or McGraw. We picked up McGraw because he could play NCB, and Sapp played better than last year's NCB, Lenny Walls (full disclosure: Lenny Walls blew ass).

RustShack
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Tyrone Brackenridge has a better shot at being the Nickle than Sapp does... and I definatly don't see McGraw playing it either.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2007, 09:28 PM

SO basically hes Julian Battle then??

TRR
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Sapp is an excellent blitz CB, and tackles very well for how little he his. Other than that, Sapp really doesn't have many more strengths. I'm glad to have him back though, as he makes more plays than Lenny Walls did/does.

Phobia
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
SO basically hes Julian Battle then??

No. Julian Battle was always a practice superstar.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
O yea I like Sapp, wouldn't mind seeing him stay on the Chiefs which could be a long shot, especially if we pick up another CB, but I just don't think hes going to be our NCB.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I think Tyrone Brackenridge has a better shot at being the Nickle than Sapp does... and I definatly don't see McGraw playing it either.
Can somebody give me the 411 on Brackenridge?

Ever since we signed this guy I've heard people speak highly of him.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 09:49 PM
I'll try to find something on him real quick

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 09:54 PM
It's near impossible to find anything on him. I've searched several websites. None of the major sports sites have anything on his personal statline. I tracked it down at WSU's own stat page:
#12 Brackenridge, T 12 [games] 29 [solo tackles] 21 [assists] 50 [total tckl] 5.0 [tackles for loss] 3[ints]-42[return yrd] 7 [breakups] 1 [QB hurries] 2 [forced fumbles]
Pretty good line for senior year.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
SportingNews.com

Rookie free agent Tyron Brackenridge made the most of his opportunities in offseason practices and could win the job as nickel back. Brackenridge showed an aptitude for the cover 2 principles and a nice ability to break on the ball. He isn't particularly fast, so his long-range prospects of becoming an every-down player aren't good but he might be able to help the Chiefs in spot duty this season. The Chiefs appear to have given up on Benny Sapp as a nickel back candidate. Sapp, who also had a good offseason, could be the first corner off the bench to replace either of the starters, Ty Law and Patrick Surtain. ...

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Sapp can't cut it at NCB so... naturally, he'll plug in at starter if Law or Surtain go down?

Makes no sense to me.

(Thanks for the bit. Anything else on Brackenridge would be appreciated.)

TRR
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Sapp can't cut it at NCB so... naturally, he'll plug in at starter if Law or Surtain go down?

Makes no sense to me.

(Thanks for the bit. Anything else on Brackenridge would be appreciated.)

I don't get that either. Sapp has always played in the nickelback spot since he entered the NFL. He just isn't big enough to play on the outside in my opinion. He's better at playing closer to the line of scrimmage, where he can use his tackling ability, and get after the QB.

RustShack
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's a little more on Tyrone-

Honorable mention All-Pac-10 choice in 2006.

Junior College transfer who totaled 50/3/7 as a senior, earning All-Conference recognition. Red-shirted as a junior in ‘05 after seeing limited playing time the prior year.

Pos:

Nice-sized cover corner who works hard in all aspects of the game. Physical, runs downfield with opponents and gets his head back around to make a play on the ball. Quickly breaks to the throw and has a burst of closing speed.

Neg:

A bit slow in his hips transitioning to run with receivers. Struggles in man situations against larger opponents. Does not possess long speed.
Played in nine games in 2004, both in coverage and as kickoff returner, before using his redshirt season in '05. Nailed down starting corner for the 2006 season in spring ball. Great cover corner who is full of confidence. A JCFootball.com JC Top 101 selection in 2003.

Direckshun
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a NCB candidate.

Thanks Rust.