PDA

View Full Version : Speaker System

G-MONEY
07-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm looking for a new stereo system. I don't know much about speakers and whatnot, so what would you guys suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money here but I want to get the most bang for my buck.

Demonpenz
07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
bose is always good

Vaspar
07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Onkyo is possibly the best bang for the buck, if you can swing the receiver, get the new model, it has multiple HDMI inputs.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-08-2007, 09:17 PM
bose is always goodActually, Bose speakers consistently get horrible reviews. I'm sure there are some decent Bose speakers out there but they certainly don't fall into that "best bang for your buck" category. I would check out the AVS forums, as they have great advise and experience there. They were spot on in helping me chose a new tv.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Onkyo is possibly the best bang for the buck, if you can swing the receiver, get the new model, it has multiple HDMI inputs.
These do sound great, but may be over his budget. What is the budget anyway?

G-MONEY
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm not real sure what the budget is. How much will I need to pay for a decent system?

Pitt Gorilla
07-08-2007, 09:36 PM
HSU Research + Onkyo Receiver. I didn't realize this was still in doubt.

RedandGold
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm looking for a new stereo system. I don't know much about speakers and whatnot, so what would you guys suggest? I don't want to spend a ton of money here but I want to get the most bang for my buck.

I don't know what your budget is, but a great place to look for reviews/opinions is avsforum. The following is a direct link to the subform for discussions regarding speakers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=89&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=&pp=35&daysprune=30

Assuming your system is going to have a subwoofer, the av123 x-series and Ascend bookshelf speakers are considered to be some of the best values on the market.

Each company is internet-direct, and they should each have a trial period where you can return the speakers for little/no cost if you don't like them.

Good luck in your search.

RedandGold
07-08-2007, 09:50 PM
HSU Research + Onkyo Receiver. I didn't realize this was still in doubt.

For a sub, you would have a tough time arguing against either SVS or Hsu. I was going to go with SVS for my system, but I ended up going with a Mirage S12 that was marked down from $799 to $399.

After reading that it tested nearly identically to the Hsu VTF-3, it was too good of a deal to pass up at that price.

For the receiver, I personally went with Harman Kardon over Onkyo, but Onkyo gives you quite a bit of bang for the buck.