PDA

View Full Version : Live dogs used as shark bait?

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2007, 01:04 AM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/sharkbait.asp

this is just horrible, sick and wrong in every way. At first I wasn't sure if it's fake or not, but I guess it's real. WTF is wrong with people

LiL stumppy
07-09-2007, 01:09 AM
thats ridiculous

Tribal Warfare
07-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Mother****ers who do that should be castrated

Brady3
07-09-2007, 03:19 AM
hello

Pants
07-09-2007, 04:19 AM
****ing animal rights activists should go die in a fire!

Wait... wrong thread.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-09-2007, 06:16 AM
I would love to take each person who does this, put hooks through various parts of their body and use THEM as live bait - wonder if they'd still like it then?

Saulbadguy
07-09-2007, 06:53 AM
I see nothing wrong with this.

Thig Lyfe
07-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Michael Vick is a shark hunter?

kepp
07-09-2007, 07:13 AM
"I've been tellin' them for years..."
http://www.foxnews.com/images/236342/0_61_barker_bob.jpg

Duck Dog
07-09-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm skeptical of that picture. If I were going to drag 60-70 lbs of bait behind my boat trolling for sharks I wouldn't hook it through soft tissue and I doubt any commercial fisherman would either. Looks like an unfortunate accident that the animal rights bafoons are trying to pass off as a horrible act of cruelty by fisherman.

KC Kings
07-09-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm skeptical of that picture. If I were going to drag 60-70 lbs of bait behind my boat trolling for sharks I wouldn't hook it through soft tissue and I doubt any commercial fisherman would either. Looks like an unfortunate accident that the animal rights bafoons are trying to pass off as a horrible act of cruelty by fisherman.

Unless the hooks went through the upper pallette and out the snout, that way there would be some teeth and bone in there to hold it on.

Ethically I don't see how this is different than using any other live bait.

JBucc
07-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Stupid French. Everyone knows cats and German babies make the best live bait.

Demonpenz
07-09-2007, 08:29 AM
atleast bluegill don't chew up my nike's before i go fishing

Frazod
07-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I wonder if MOhillbilly considers it a sport?

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 09:13 AM
I think it's horrible, but... what is the difference in this and using live worms, crickets, etc for normal fishing? And, no I am not condoning this by any means, just wanted to pose the question.

trndobrd
07-09-2007, 09:17 AM

No blood or scabbing around the puncture wounds? I've seen pictures alien babies that look more realistic.

mikey23545
07-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Did anyone even bother reading the Snopes article? They said there is no evidence that live dogs have ever been used as bait, only that some amateur fisherman may have used dead dog carcasses as bait. The picture was probably faked by some animal rights group.

Mr. Plow
07-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Only 1 Michael Vick reference?

Chiefnj
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Of course it's a fake. Everybody knows sharks prefer chocolate labs over the yellow variety. The yellow ones make the best crab bait.

LiL stumppy
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I think it's horrible, but... what is the difference in this and using live worms, crickets, etc for normal fishing? And, no I am not condoning this by any means, just wanted to pose the question.

Exactly.

morphius
07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I think it has something to do with the fact that we domesticated the animals as "companion" type of pets, while other baits are not part of that group. By domesticating them for that purpose there is a certain obligation that we have to them.

That is the best I can come up with.

KcMizzou
07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
The same reason we tend not to eat the "cute" animals, I guess.

KcMizzou
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Of course it's a fake. Everybody knows sharks prefer chocolate labs over the yellow variety. The yellow ones make the best crab bait.And hey, if you have to eat one, who wouldn't prefer chocolate?

Wilson
07-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Trying to follow along here, is squashing that spider which was in my kitchen then flushing him down the toilet the same as running over my dog then tossing him in the Osage River?

Simplex3
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
As disgusting as I find this, there's no logical difference between using a dog and a fish except that a fish would be in the shark's food chain naturally.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
use a pitbull, it would be great fight

Pitbull vrs shark ............ deathcage match!! PBJ

KcMizzou
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
use a pitbull, it would be great fight

Pitbull vrs shark ............ deathcage match!! PBJSounds like a Discovery special.

Chiefnj
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Worms don't feel pain.

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Trying to follow along here, is squashing that spider which was in my kitchen then flushing him down the toilet the same as running over my dog then tossing him in the Osage River?

Depends on who you ask, I guess. Again, don't take my comment as condoning the action... and Morphius, I agree with your point. I was just tossing the question out there, either way you're using a live creature as bait for another live creature.

People feed mice to snakes... it's all in the same neighborhood.

DeezNutz
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Depends on who you ask, I guess. Again, don't take my comment as condoning the action... and Morphius, I agree with your point. I was just tossing the question out there, either way you're using a live creature as bait for another live creature.

People feed mice to snakes... it's all in the same neighborhood.

True, Donk fan. I've seen a lot of worms and crickets that serve vital roles for society. One cannot overlook the importance of guide worms for the blind, police crickets, bomb sniffing worms, and rescue crickets. Clearly the cognitive and emotional thresholds of these animals is the same as those for dogs and cats, so all of these animals should be considered "bait worthy."

Redrum_69
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Well...surfers make good bait too. You dont even need to tie a dog to the back of the boat, just cruise off the shores and cast behind a surfer...nothing is more effective at triggering shark bites than a human buzz bait

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 11:12 AM
True, Donk fan. I've seen a lot of worms and crickets that serve vital roles for society. One cannot overlook the importance of guide worms for the blind, police crickets, bomb sniffing worms, and rescue crickets. Clearly the cognitive and emotional thresholds of these animals is the same as those for dogs and cats, so all of these animals should be considered "bait worthy."

Again, just throwing it out there... but, I don't expect you to understand that.

DeezNutz
07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Again, just throwing it out there... but, I don't expect you to understand that.

Why throw it out there? Logically, do you really see a similarity? Yes, they're both alive, but this is where the similarities stop, so what's the point of the comment? Enlighten me. Me Chiefs fan. Me no think when not near camaro.

KC Kings
07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Worms don't feel pain.
Then why do night crawlers squirm around so much after you rip em apart?

What about minnows and crawdads, do they feel pain?

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Why throw it out there? Logically, do you really see a similarity? Yes, they're both alive, but this is where the similarities stop, so what's the point of the comment? Enlighten me. Me Chiefs fan. Me no think when not near camero.

Find a camaro...

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2007, 12:02 PM
it would be better if we could just take all of the guilty asshats out of prison and use them as bait. ever watch that jackass episode where Steve-o did that? something similiar to that

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 12:09 PM
it would be better if we could just take all of the guilty asshats out of prison and use them as bait. ever watch that jackass episode where Steve-o did that? something similiar to that

I think we should use people on death row as human "crash test dummies"... rather than see what happens to a "dummy", might as well test the crash results on a real human. And, it could be viewed as their last chance to pay something back to society.

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 12:12 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTqRnF-r8_Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTqRnF-r8_Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

DeezNutz
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Find a camaro...

ROFL

I wasn't actually trying to be a jerk. I thought you might have been trying to make a point that I was overlooking. Perhaps not, though...?

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM
ROFL

I wasn't actually trying to be a jerk. I thought you might have been trying to make a point that I was overlooking. Perhaps not, though...?

No point being made... just a statement born of boredom.

DeezNutz
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM
No point being made... just a statement born of boredom.

Oh, no problem. Didn't mean to read too much into the comment.

CoMoChief
07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTqRnF-r8_Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dTqRnF-r8_Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The best thing about that video is that you learn curse words in other languages.

Simplex3
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
The best thing about that video is that you learn curse words in other languages.
I may be the only person in the world that liked both of those movies.

KCChiefsMan
07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
I think we should use people on death row as human "crash test dummies"... rather than see what happens to a "dummy", might as well test the crash results on a real human. And, it could be viewed as their last chance to pay something back to society.

sounds like a good idea to me

memyselfI
07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I think it has something to do with the fact that we domesticated the animals as "companion" type of pets, while other baits are not part of that group. By domesticating them for that purpose there is a certain obligation that we have to them.

That is the best I can come up with.

Yeah, I think that is reason enough...

afterall, most of us don't have sharks or worms sharing our beds, our sofas, our meals. Many of us have dogs and cats who do.

Mile High Mania
07-09-2007, 03:23 PM

afterall, most of us don't have sharks or worms sharing our beds, our sofas, our meals. Many of us have dogs and cats who do.

Some dogs and cats have worms.

Demonpenz
07-09-2007, 07:23 PM
get a dog with a fluffy tail they will draw some action

Simplex3
07-09-2007, 07:31 PM

You're personifying your pets. Not that it's right or wrong, but you are.

htismaqe
07-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Bingo.

That dog (if the photo is even real) wasn't hooked as bait. The minute you fired up the motor and pulled the slack out of the leader, that hook would rip right out of his mouth.