PDA

View Full Version : Practice Squad

Direckshun
07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Late night, offseason, bullshit topic.

Make your predictions for the 8 guys that'll make the practice squad.

Typically young guys with a lot of potential that the Chiefs want to lock up away from other teams.

They can't send players to NFL Europe anymore, so outside of the 53 man roster, this is it.

Simplex3
07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Nobody
SumChump
WhoCares
Youre Kiddingme

I don't have 8 guesses, though.

Direckshun
07-09-2007, 10:23 PM
These are the guys I think are the most likely, in this order.

1. OT Ramiro Pruneda -- Massive guy that the Chiefs would love to try to sculpt.

2. WR Brad Eckwerekwu -- It's either him or Hannon at this point, but I think Hannon edges him out because Herm's simply been too publicly infatuated with him.

3. TE Michael Allan -- Promising guy with great measurables, would make the team if we weren't already 4 deep at the position (Tony G, Dunn, Wilson, Willis).

4. LB Nate Harris -- Reputable sources believe the Chiefs swindled Harris, and odds are he may even be the 2nd-string MLB, but a very strong LB unit plus a lot of young, promising talent (Kershaw, Reid, and of course SCANLON) might make Nate the odd man out. Might also have to save Napolean Harris from putting his entire name on his jersey.

5. DT Matt McGlothlin -- Krumrie and the Chiefs love this dude. DL is just too full of talent at this point.

6. RB Marcus O'Keith -- A RB born to be a role player. The Chiefs will like what they've seen enough to give him an extended shot.

7. WR Titus Ryan -- Track star the Chiefs think they can mold. Not likely, but why not.

8. QB Jeff Terrell -- You probably always need a QB on your PS. Terrell beats out Swogger.

Direckshun
07-09-2007, 11:51 PM
No thoughts?

Fatties.

Mr. Kotter
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
How many of these guys EVER make an impact on the team's season....present, or FUTURE??? :shrug:

If you can't make the roster; the ONLY teams that care about these players are "also-rans."

By that standard, I'm sure it will occupy MUCH of CP's time in July-August. :(

:banghead:

:shake:

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:12 AM
hit reply too early.... give me a moment to try again....

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM

Happy hour at the pool hall tonight, eb.....heh. ;)

Direckshun
07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Drunk bastard.

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Ok, I don't know enough to choose seven, so here are three:
Ekwerekwu
McGlothlin
Pruneda

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Happy hour at the pool hall tonight, eb.....heh. ;)
No, but that sounds good (except for the pool part)

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Drunk bastard.
Heh. My reputation precedes me.

Direckshun
07-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I think it's entirely possible Nick Reid makes the squad, too.

If Derrick Ross doesn't make the team, he's gone. That'd be two seasons now where we tried to fit him into our plans and he simply couldn't work out, NFLE success be damned.

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
I actually think Michael Allan has a good chance at making the roster. Won't likely be active very much, but I think he makes the roster.

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Initially, I thought Ross had a chance at the roster and Smith might go to the practice squad but after hearing the post-draft interviews with Herm I would say that Smith is a lock to make the roster and Ross is a lock to be out of football in two years.

Direckshun
07-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I actually think Michael Allan has a good chance at making the roster. Won't likely be active very much, but I think he makes the roster.
I can't see it.

Maybe if we release Dunn because of age/injury due to the fact that we feel Willis can step in, but we'll hold onto Dunn.

That gives us a top flight receiving TE in Tony G, and a top flight blocking TE.

Willis should make the team as well as a reserve, and there's always Bigfoot.

I don't see why this team would have 5 TEs on the roster. Allan is incredibly raw, and will need a season or two to develop.

Direckshun
07-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Initially, I thought Ross had a chance at the roster and Smith might go to the practice squad but after hearing the post-draft interviews with Herm I would say that Smith is a lock to make the roster and Ross is a lock to be out of football in two years.
That's how I feel about it, too.

But the Chiefs might keep him around in case Bennett goes down. Gives us LJ, a change-of-pace back, an all purpose backup in Kolby Smith, and a reserve in Ross.

el borracho
07-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Bigfoot is a FB/ HB who should probably be traded to the Redskins or Dolphins since we don't seem real intent on using him.

edit: "HB" meaning H-back, not halfback

kcchiefsus
07-10-2007, 12:29 AM
TE Michael Allan
WR Brad Ekwerekwu
S Marlon Fair
RB Marcus O'Keith
OT Ramiro Pruneda
OT Herbert Taylor
CB Tony Franklin
DT Matt McGlothlin

Demonpenz
07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4hZmKj-CiM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A4hZmKj-CiM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Direckshun
07-10-2007, 12:30 AM
The big SOLs that I'm predicting?

Well, I do think that if Marcus O'Keith fails to impress, that does leave a PS spot open for CB Ty Brackenridge. Otherwise, I think he's SOL.

DT Kiki Gonzalez was recently signed, and I simply think the team is too thick at DT right now for him to have a legitimate shot, making him SOL.

FB Greg Hanoian has had his shot to make this team twice as its only true FB. It didn't work out in 2006, it won't work out this year, and Mr. Hanoian is SOL.

If CB Justin Phinisee can't win a returning job, he's SOL.

OG Tre Stallings hasn't existed, and unless he can win a backup job over Chris Bober, he's SOL.

SoCalBronco
07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
The Chiefs got Nate Harris as an UDFA?

Pretty impressive, he will make the team, IMO. Beast.

Smed1065
07-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I feel Pruneda, was a chance player for PS. I doubt he makes it on the PS because he may have potential but doubt any other team wants him.

blueballs
07-10-2007, 01:12 AM
Casey Printers

booger
07-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Hard guess as far as a pre camp guess w/o looking at the rooks but here goes:

QB: None. Printers will need all the reg. season snaps he can get. Not much room for a 4th PS QB. Assuming he beats out Jeff Terrell of course. Swogger never was offered a contract, just a rookie minicamp tryout.

RB: If Ross is healthy and hits the waiver wire he gets a look from another team IMO. Even if it's just a week or two on the active roster of another team then getting cut and added to their PS. I think he would jump at the chance to prove it to another club with all the horses in the stable we have at RB.

Herm likes Marcus O'Keith a lot. Doesn't hurt he's a Cal product. Judging from the rookie camp and OTA's anyway. From reading up on him he isn't real flashy but productive when called upon and will compete on all levels: rushing, receiving, blocking, KR, and coverage teams.

Other than LJ and the contract situation, Bennett is the guy to keep an eye on. Potentially he could be a very valuable backup and maybe even help on returns. Just the health issue with him. I can't really imagine keeping Ross, Smith, and O'Keith backing up LJ.

Possibly Gilbert Harris the FB from Uof Arizona for the PS. All depends on the FB position. Harris, Hanoian, and Grigsby are the only true FB options competing. Smith can fill a Kimble Anders type role as can Kris Griffin as the starter. I think I would go with the best lead blocker and keep 1 true FB. Wilson's role is basically an H-Back. He did well as a Lead blocker and also can slide out to play slot and WR positions. Just because he isn't an inline TE doesn't mean he can't be a very versitile part of this offense.

TE: Include me in the worried about eventually replacing Dunn crowd. Problem is that there aren't many out there like him. With Willis' size he has the looks of a good blocker. Sounds like a good offseason catching the ball too. Mike Pinkard was a pretty good prospect his draft year. We signed him after the draft because he had some issue getting caught smoking pot IIRC. I'd agree with Allan on the PS most likely.

WR: I tie WR with CB and RB depending on who the PR and KR are. Ean Randolph is going to get his opportunities accourding to Herm. Ekwerekwu has the body to cover kicks and punts if he shows he can also play WR. Plus Maurice Price. Kind of like Webb with a very productive college career but slipped. The track star Ryan kid we will have to see about. That is what the PS is for though. Just depends on how the other WR's progress and if we can afford to keep a burner.

OL: Obviously they view Prudena as a long term PS type prospect. I think they will be patient with Stallings being that he is coming back from NFLEL and adjusting to G from college T. I think the key here is Kevin Sampson. If he can't put up a legit challenge to start at RT or be a top reserve i could see us cutting the cord with him. He is way to inconsistant and injury prone. If a younger guy like Stallings or a James Newby or George Batiste shows more promise than keep them. If Sampson struggles this year he will probably look for a new team anyway as he is a UFA after this season.

That's how i see the offense anyway.

booger
07-10-2007, 02:26 AM
On D I start off with the DL, specifically DE with Allen's 4 game suspension. I also throw Bell in the mix here as well. I do that because I don't see them, Herm anyway, wanting much to do with Bell at LB anymore. Not in any of the C2 sets. At this point I see him as a Rush LB and not much more. Fox will get every shot available at OLB time and Bell doesn't have the skills for a C2 Mlb, even just the backup. IMO. So I'd like to see him practice exclusivley at DE to determine if he makes the team or not.

In Allen's absense I could see us going with 3-4 or just 3 man fronts with lots of blitzing LB and DB's.

I know we may have some interest in Alex Brown from the bears and maybe something happens there. Maybe we see Montez Murphy make the team to start the season. Chris Harris looks the part at DE without the stats. Michael Heard looks about the same size as Bell. Still a bit thin at DE. It does help that Wilkerson will be more full time DE and Turk will start out there.

DT looks solid. I agree on McGlothin. He is exactly the type you send to Europe. Probably a spot for him on the PS.

They gotta have some hopes for some of these young guys at LB with the release of Kris Griffin. Maybe he kind of stalled in his progress at LB. Kershaw I'd put in a group with Scanlon and Reid that could be either OLB or a MLB.

The three new guys, the rookie FA's, all fit the size mold of a C2 LB. Brian Crum looks really raw after moving to LB from TE, but did get starting experience this past year. Maybe a PS candidate. David Hicks has the better college starts and looks like a PS guy. I really think they have high hopes for Nate Harris. I could see them trying him out first at MLB and moving him outside if he strugles. He has that Vilma type build that all the tampa 2 coaches like.

Safety looks set. CB is one of the unknowns. Brackenridge seems to have impressed according to a recent sporting news report by Teicher. Phinisee has return ability and experience in the C2 trying out with tampa. Same for Patterson ( cover 2 ) spending time last year trying to make the Vikes roster. I agree with some that see Franklin as a PS possibility. We sure could use somehelp here. Hopefully one of these guys steps up as well.