PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid Cell Phones

Mr. Laz
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
wondering about getting a prepaid cell phone for a kid

Best things to look for?

or

do they have a Cell phone plan without a monthly fee so you just pay what you use (even if it's higher minute cost)

phone would only be use sparingly so i don't want a monthly fee but don't mind paying a higher rate for each minute to avoid monthly fee.

suggestions?

SLAG
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I think most pre - paid services offer what your looking for.. the only Caviat is you have to add money to the account every 90 days or something to keep it active...

Depending on the kids ages you may want to look into the firefly mobile as they have phones that have tons of restrictions for young kids,

Mr. Laz
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
I think most pre - paid services offer what your looking for.. the only Caviat is you have to add money to the account every 90 days or something to keep it active...

Depending on the kids ages you may want to look into the firefly mobile as they have phones that have tons of restrictions for young kids,
not really worry about restrictions other than minutes.

just want to avoid a monthly investment

Having to add money every 90 days would prolly be a deal breaker, i don't want to be messing around with it all the time.

any play that just sends you a bill each month on what minutes were used without having a monthly user fee attached?

Mr. Plow
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
That Firefly mobile looks pretty cool. And it appears to give a lot of parental control. I've got an 8 year old wanting a cell phone. I am having a hard time giving him a cell because I think he might be too young, but heh, who knows nowadays.

Skip Towne
07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Wal-Mart sells the Net 10. You do have to add money every 90 days but it can be as little as $30. Ten cents per minute.

Steve
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Go with t-mobile.I pay only for minutes use.I pay $100 for 1000 minutes but 1000 minutes last me almost a year so I had a cell phone all year for $100

Valiant
07-10-2007, 03:35 PM
not really worry about restrictions other than minutes.

just want to avoid a monthly investment

Having to add money every 90 days would prolly be a deal breaker, i don't want to be messing around with it all the time.

any play that just sends you a bill each month on what minutes were used without having a monthly user fee attached?

There was one that you could buy a year card I think for 120$ dollars you did not have to actually pay anymore unless you used all the minutes associated with the year card.. So instead of buying a new card and activating it every 30/60/90 days you just bought the year card instead if you were not going to use it very often(emergency, old, kid use)...

scooter
07-10-2007, 03:44 PM
There was one that you could buy a year card I think for 120$ dollars you did not have to actually pay anymore unless you used all the minutes associated with the year card.. So instead of buying a new card and activating it every 30/60/90 days you just bought the year card instead if you were not going to use it very often(emergency, old, kid use)...

I know that TracFone does that. That is what my wife and I used as an "emergency phone" before we got our current plans and still send it with the kids occasionally.

Mr. Laz
07-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Go with t-mobile.I pay only for minutes use.I pay $100 for 1000 minutes but 1000 minutes last me almost a year so I had a cell phone all year for $100
sounds like what i need ...... thanks

i'll check it out