PDA

View Full Version : Catholics and Protestants

Mr Luzcious
07-11-2007, 11:43 PM
I'm just curious to see how the number of catholics compares to that of protestants here.

So which is it?

luv
07-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Spiritual, but not religious.

SPchief
Am I going to hell if I'm neither?

Buck
Check 1 for neither.

Bowser
The Pagans are going to think you're racist.

Mr Luzcious
Whoa.. didn't realize the post was made public while I was making the poll.

Mr Luzcious
07-11-2007, 11:46 PM
The Pagans are going to think you're racist.

Thats who the "none" option is for.

Hammock Parties
Chiefist.

Mr Luzcious
Am I going to hell if I'm neither?

Don't ask me :shrug:

luv
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Thats who the "none" option is for.
Or the "Other".

luv
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Don't ask me :shrug:
You're not God?

SPchief
07-11-2007, 11:48 PM
You're not God?

Can we get Slag in here?

Mr Luzcious
You're not God?

I try to keep it on the down low. It's hard keeping up with all that prayer-mail.

luv
Can we get Slag in here?
Are you God?

SPchief
07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Are you God?

It's been mentioned a couple of times to me in the bedroom.

luv
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
It's been mentioned a couple of times to me in the bedroom.
I'm from Missouri. Ya know...the "Show-Me" state?

SLAG
07-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Can we get Slag in here?
You could but you know you wouldnt want to

Hammock Parties
07-11-2007, 11:55 PM
i believe there is a god, but that he doesnt want us to worship him like a cult.

Mr Luzcious
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
i believe there is a god, but that he doesnt want us to worship him like a cult.

Define cult.

SPchief
07-11-2007, 11:56 PM
You could but you know you wouldnt want to

Am I going to hell because I'm not Catholic?

luv
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Define cult.
My old church defined it as anything practiced/worshipped that wasn't the Truth. That's gonna mean different things to different people.

SLAG
07-11-2007, 11:57 PM

Its not for me to Judge

luv
07-11-2007, 11:58 PM
No, you're going to purgatory. I hope you have praying friends.

Logical
07-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I suppose even though I am no longer a practicing Catholic, since I was baptized and received all the sacrament I was eligible for I am still considered a Catholic. But a Catholic would say I am going to hell because I have sinned and not been to confession and done my pennance for those sins.

So :shrug:

SPchief
07-11-2007, 11:59 PM
No, you're going to purgatory. I hope you have praying friends.

According to who?

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:00 AM
My old church defined it as anything practiced/worshipped that wasn't the Truth. That's gonna mean different things to different people.

True, what kind of church was this?

luv
07-12-2007, 12:00 AM
According to who?
Not me.

I believe in once saved, always saved. THat's just me, though.

luv
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Baptist. Fundamental at that.

I hold a lot of the beliefs, but they were just a little too strict for me. If that makes me a sinner, I'm not alone. However, I do know where I'm going when I die. Like I said, that's just me.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I suppose even though I am no longer a practicing Catholic, since I was baptized and received all the sacrament I was eligible for I am still considered a Catholic. But a Catholic would say I am going to hell because I have sinned and not been to confession and done my pennance for those sins.

unlesss you made an act of perfect contrition before you die

that can save you and thats why the Church cannont speak with certianty wether people who commit sucide go to hell..

Their Culpablity in the act and the fact that an act of perfect contrition could have been made leaves too many questions

SPchief
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM

What does it matter what type of Church it is? Everyone believes in different things.

keg in kc
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
None.

I'm what they call a "lapsed catholic". Baptised, eucharised, confirmed catholic, who grew up and became an atheist.

It's been mentioned a couple of times to me in the bedroom.Was it "God, is that all you have?" or "God, is that the best you can do?" or "God, are you done already?" or "God, you want me to what?"

luv
07-12-2007, 12:03 AM
unlesss you made an act of perfect contrition before you die

that can save you and thats why the Church cannont speak with certianty wether people who commit sucide go to hell..

Their Culpablity in the act and the fact that an act of perfect contrition could have been made leaves too many questions
What about salvation? I hear several different things about it from different Catholics.

Mr Luzcious
What does it matter what type of Church it is? Everyone believes in different things.

Um... exactly...

SPchief
Not me.

Good. I don't know why people get so uptight about certain things. If someone believes something, then they should not care what others think.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
None.

I'm what they call a "lapsed catholic". Baptised, eucharised, confirmed catholic, who grew up and became an atheist.

Was it "God, is that all you have?" or "God, is that the best you can do?" or "God, are you done already?" or "God, you want me to what?"

Seems like the catholics produce a lot of those. Although I'm sure it's not limited to that denomination.

keg in kc
07-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Seems like the catholics produce a lot of those. Although I'm sure it's not limited to that denomination.Couldn't tell you.

luv
Exactly, my church actually thought of Catholicism as a cult due to their different beliefs on salvation, baptism, etc. I don't agree. Partly why I don't go to church anymore.

Mr Luzcious
Judging from posts in other discussions I had assumed there were far more catholics than this..

SPchief

Was it "God, is that all you have?" or "God, is that the best you can do?" or "God, are you done already?" or "God, you want me to what?"

LMAO

SLAG
What about salvation? I hear several different things about it from different Catholics.

What is your Specific Question Regarding Salvation

RJ
If I were going to join a team I'd pick the Catholics or Jews. Storied franchises both and they seem to me more cerebral than the other choices. If I were seeking advice on matters of life I'd pick either over the Protestants.

I know I'm headed for a showdown with the family over my daughter's spiritual education. I'm thinking if it comes down to it I'll send her to Synagogue. The Jews seem to me the most cerebral of the bunch. If she doesn't receive clarity she'll at least learn to be a good merchant.

Shalom.

keg in kc
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Judging from posts in other discussions I had assumed there were far more catholics than this..A few vocal people can seem like a mob.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM

What must I do to be saved? Something along those lines would be nice.
There aren't many other questions regarding it.

luv
07-12-2007, 12:07 AM
That is my specific question. Of course, to me salvation is one simple act, not several different things. Answer as you see fit.

Mr Luzcious
If I were going to join a team I'd pick the Catholics or Jews. Storied franchises both and they seem to me more cerebral than the other choices. If I were seeking advice on matters of life I'd pick either over the Protestants.

I know I'm headed for a showdown with the family over my daughter's spiritual education. I'm thinking if it comes down to it I'll send her to Synagogue. The Jews seem to me the most cerebral of the bunch. If she doesn't receive clarity she'll at least learn to be a good merchant.

Shalom.

Thats kind of what I used to think... but my opinions have definitely changed. They have the appearance of being more cerebral, it's true.

SLAG

Suggested Reading:

http://catholic.com/library/salvation.asp

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
There are no simple answers in catholicism are there?

luv
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM

Shalom.
She should end up deciding for herself. Unless you go to a synagogue every week, she probably won't either.

luv
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I could refer you to the book of Romans in the Bible. :shrug:

SLAG

I guess this is the Simple answer:

"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

SPchief
Suggested Reading:

http://catholic.com/library/salvation.asp

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/salvation.html

Just a question that I don't think anybody else has asked tonight, In your opinion, is it wrong to believe there is another way to go through the gates without following the path that Catholicism preaches?

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Just a question that I don't think anybody else has asked tonight, In your opinion, is it wrong to believe there is another way to go through the gates without following the path that Catholicism preaches?

As a Catholic Yes it is wrong to belief that others that are not Catholics are saved.

One of our priests refers to most non catholic christian communitys as "The Church of Whats happining now"

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
I guess this is the Simple answer:

"As the Bible says, I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), but I’m also being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and I have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15). Like the apostle Paul I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

I wasn't actually looking for an answer myself, I was just answering for luv.

RJ
07-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Thats kind of what I used to think... but my opinions have definitely changed. They have the appearance of being more cerebral, it's true.

Why did your opinion change?

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Why did your opinion change?

I just started doing more research into what each believed. I think, if you want to get specific, it was when I was reading into Calvinism.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I guess I should qualify that, jews are probably a more cerebral lot than catholics or protestants, but protestant theology (calvinistic, anyway) is decidedly more... intelligent. I guess, thats not the way I wanted to put it but I couldn't think of the word.

ClevelandBronco
07-12-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm an unrestricted free agent Protestant.

RJ
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
She should end up deciding for herself. Unless you go to a synagogue every week, she probably won't either.

Eventually she will end up deciding for herself. Since she's four, she can't right now.

Her grandparents do go to synagogue every week. If I decide to send her to a church it will probably be there.

SPchief
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
As a Catholic Yes it is wrong to belief that others that are not Catholics are saved.

One of our priests refers to most non catholic christian communitys as "The Church of Whats happining now"

What if I don't go to Church or belong to an organized religion? I believe in God and Heaven, but according to you and your religion, I'm going to Hell?

Logical
07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
According to who?I honestly don't know where she came up with that. The only people going to purgatory according to Catholic doctrine are the innocent (basically babies) who have not had the chance to be baptised and die.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:20 AM
What if I don't go to Church or belong to an organized religion? I believe in God and Heaven, but according to you and your religion, I'm going to Hell?

Most Likely Yes, but once again.. No one knows for sure.. Only the Triune God Does, what Catholics Believe is that God gave the Catholic Church all the Parts Nessacary for Salvation. Such as an air port full of airplanes... The Catholic chruch would be the only plane with all the parts nessacary to fly, Others may come Extremely close, but not all the exact parts

luv
07-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Most Likely Yes, but once again.. No one knows for sure.. Only the Triune God Does, what Catholics Believe is that God gave the Catholic Church all the Parts Nessacary for Salvation. Such as an air port full of airplanes... The Catholic chruch would be the only plane with all the parts nessacary to fly, Others may come Extremely close, but not all the exact parts
God gave everyone the necessary PART. Jesus Christ.

luv
07-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I honestly don't know where she came up with that. The only people going to purgatory according to Catholic doctrine are the innocent (basically babies) who have not had the chance to be baptised and die.
My bad. I apologize.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:24 AM

:clap:

SPchief
07-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Most Likely Yes, but once again.. No one knows for sure..

Thanks. But that brings me to the point I'm trying to make. Why does everyone get so worked up about Religion? Everybody believes what they believe. Why work so hard trying to prove your point on the situation? If you feel like you are going to Heaven, then why contiunually argue that your route is better? Why are you scouring the internet to back you up to try to prove what you believe is correct?

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Yes, and Jesus said You must Eat my Flesh and Drink My Blood to have eternal life.

Everyone took him LITERALLY, The early Christians were known as Cannibals for eating the Flesh of Jesus,

The John 6 is pretty clear about this

for those that could not believe that you were to eat the real flesh of Jesus:

John 6:66

The only church to believe that the eat the whole flesh and blood of Jesus is the Catholic church.

This is just for starters, read more into the links I posted earlier if you are genuinely interested

luv
07-12-2007, 12:28 AM
:clap:
Don't applaud. I'm done. I've said what I believe, and that's just it. It's what I believe. I don't want to argue about it. I know that we're not arguing, we're simply discussing. I know me though, I will end up arguing and saying stuff I'll regret. I just believe that one thing is necessary to get to Heaven. After that, it's a personal path.

RJ
I guess I should qualify that, jews are probably a more cerebral lot than catholics or protestants, but protestant theology (calvinistic, anyway) is decidedly more... intelligent. I guess, thats not the way I wanted to put it but I couldn't think of the word.

I don't know a thing about Calvinism. Actually, I don't know much about religion. The beauty of it, though, is that I know more about it than most of my friends who are religious. That gives me a leg up when an argument arises.

I have to say that I've never thought of Protestantism as a thinking man's religion. I guess that's from Jerry Falwell and his ilk, it seems like all Fire and Brimstone to me. But I'll remember what you said about ol' Calvin and look into it.

I guess I think of Judaism as cerebral because of all the Jewish friends I've had who seem bright and analytical. I like the idea of critical thinking being a part of irrational belief.

SLAG
Thanks. But that brings me to the point I'm trying to make. Why does everyone get so worked up about Religion? Everybody believes what they believe. Why work so hard trying to prove your point on the situation? If you feel like you are going to Heaven, then why contiunually argue that your route is better? Why are you scouring the internet to back you up to try to prove what you believe is correct?

Because people are asking questions regarding it or are misrepresenting the church and I want to provide nothing more than the Offical Catholic view when it comes to these threads.

The Links I post are just some basic Apologetics tools to help in the process. Im not here to force my religion on you but only present the truth as the Chruch teaches it

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Yes, and Jesus said You must Eat my Flesh and Drink My Blood to have eternal life.

Everyone took him LITERALLY, The early Christians were known as Cannibals for eating the Flesh of Jesus,

The only church to believe that the eat the whole flesh and blood of Jesus is the Catholic church.

This is just for starters, read more into the links I posted earlier if you are genuinely interested

LMAO

l'll have to go into this in more detail later.. I'm sick and this board has already kept me up well past when I intended to sleep.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Don't applaud. I'm done. I've said what I believe, and that's just it. It's what I believe. I don't want to argue about it. I know that we're not arguing, we're simply discussing. I know me though, I will end up arguing and saying stuff I'll regret. I just believe that one thing is necessary to get to Heaven. After that, it's a personal path.

Just agreeing with you.. geez. Is that such a sin?

SPchief
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Because people are asking questions regarding it or are misrepresenting the church and I want to provide nothing more than the Offical Catholic view when it comes to these threads.

The Links I post are just some basic Apologetics tools to help in the process. Im not here to force my religion on you but only present the truth as the Chruch teaches it

Then what were you doing in post 66?

luv
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Just agreeing with you.. geez. Is that such a sin?
Yes. Agree with me and you'll end up in hell. :p

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I don't know a thing about Calvinism. Actually, I don't know much about religion. The beauty of it, though, is that I know more about it than most of my friends who are religious. That gives me a leg up when an argument arises.

I have to say that I've never thought of Protestantism as a thinking man's religion. I guess that's from Jerry Falwell and his ilk, it seems like all Fire and Brimstone to me. But I'll remember what you said about ol' Calvin and look into it.

I guess I think of Judaism as cerebral because of all the Jewish friends I've had who seem bright and analytical. I like the idea of critical thinking being a part of irrational belief.

Yeah.. thats pretty sad.. but very true.

Protestant is really a very loose term I'm afraid, you've got churches all across the board. It's not really a denomination in fact.. there plenty of those within it.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Then what were you doing in post 66?
Responding to Loves statement

there is much much more to be said

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/justification.html

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Yes. Agree with me and you'll end up in hell. :p

I couldn't find an appropriate face to reply with.. so I will choose one at random.. :skip:

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Regardless, night all.

ClevelandBronco
07-12-2007, 12:36 AM

Well, no. My church teaches exactly that. It's not affiliated with any other churches, so it may not show up on your radar screen.

That's one reason that parents are discouraged from allowing children to take communion in our church. They also will not baptise children. The rationale is that children are not yet capable of understanding what they are being given.

ClevelandBronco
07-12-2007, 12:39 AM

Just one of many reasons that I respect you and your posts, SLAG.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Well, no. My church teaches exactly that. It's not affiliated with any other churches, so it may not show up on your radar screen.

That's one reason that parents are discouraged from allowing children to take communion in our church. They also will not baptise children. The rationale is that children are not yet capable of understanding what they are being given.

The Catholic church's view is that only those that have Valid Apostolic Succession have true Sacraments

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:44 AM
I guess this video is appropo here

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RMzA82H-Qo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RMzA82H-Qo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

ClevelandBronco
07-12-2007, 12:49 AM
The Catholic church's view is that only those that have Valid Apostolic Succession have true Sacraments

I'm sure that's true.

Mine teaches the inclusionary love of the Lord Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross for all people who try to understand Him and who call out to Him.

It also teaches that all of us who aren't Jews are darned lucky to be offered a Redeemer before the Father, because at one time none of us were included. Not the Gentiles who are now Catholic, and not the Gentiles who later joined the protest against the hierarchical structure and the indulgences granted by the Church authorities, among other differences.

Logical
07-12-2007, 12:53 AM

I hope I have not misrepresented Catholic views, I have tried to be accurate in everything I have stated to the best of my memory.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I hope I have not misrepresented Catholic views, I have tried to be accurate in everything I have stated to the best of my memory.

Maybe to be prudent I should say that I can tell you are rusty on some things such as your statement earlier on purgatory,

Purgatory :

Purgatory (Lat., "purgare", to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God's grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions.

The faith of the Church concerning purgatory is clearly expressed in the Decree of Union drawn up by the Council of Florence (Mansi, t. XXXI, col. 1031), and in the decree of the Council of Trent which (Sess. XXV) defined:

"Whereas the Catholic Church, instructed by the Holy Ghost, has from the Sacred Scriptures and the ancient tradition of the Fathers taught in Councils and very recently in this Ecumenical synod (Sess. VI, cap. XXX; Sess. XXII cap.ii, iii) that there is a purgatory, and that the souls therein are helped by the suffrages of the faithful, but principally by the acceptable Sacrifice of the Altar; the Holy Synod enjoins on the Bishops that they diligently endeavor to have the sound doctrine of the Fathers in Councils regarding purgatory everywhere taught and preached, held and believed by the faithful" (Denzinger, "Enchiridon", 983).

Further than this the definitions of the Church do not go, but the tradition of the Fathers and the Schoolmen must be consulted to explain the teachings of the councils, and to make clear the belief and the practices of the faithful.

See http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm For the full thing

Logical
07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Maybe to be prudent I should say that I can tell you are rusty on some things such as your statement earlier on purgatory,

Purgatory :

See http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm For the full thingYou know what I knew this and just got confused. I defined the conditions for Limbo. Duh I feel foolish.

Limbo
In theological (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14580x.htm) usage the name is applied to (a) the temporary place or state of the souls (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14153a.htm) of the just who, although purified (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm) from sin (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm), were excluded from the beatific vision (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02364a.htm) until Christ's triumphant ascension into Heaven (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01767a.htm) (the "limbus patrum"); or (b) to the permanent place or state of those unbaptized children and others who, dying without grievous personal sin (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14004b.htm), are excluded from the beatific vision (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02364a.htm) on account of original sin (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11312a.htm) alone (the "limbus infantium" or "puerorum").

SLAG
07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
You know what I knew this and just got confused. I defined the conditions for Limbo. Duh I feel foolish.

Meh I really only said something because you asked

I leave everyone with this for the night

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d20nzljVYPM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d20nzljVYPM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Chiefs Pantalones
07-12-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm Protestant.

plbrdude
07-12-2007, 06:27 AM

not being catholic myself, my response to you would be the same response Peter gave on the day of Pentecost. "repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" Acts 2:38

Anyong Bluth
07-12-2007, 06:52 AM

This is just for starters, read more into the links I posted earlier if you are genuinely interested\

Greek Orthodox do also. They pretty much subscribe to the same beliefs as the Catholic church, at least pre-Vatican II, but do not follow the Pope.

Transubstantiation- theological doctrine holds to the two-fold claim that, after the consecration, 1) Christ's body and blood are really present; and 2) bread and wine are really absent; and this presence and absence is real and not merely something in the mind of the believer.

InChiefsHeaven
07-12-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow, late to the thread. SLAG seems to have it covered, I was going to respond to the Purgutory statement by Logical. I figured he was thinking of Limbo instead.

Glad everyone can be civil, many times these discussions degenerate into mud slinging...

Anyong Bluth
07-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Oh, Catholics. Just in case anyone's interested or worried about their salvation.. check out a Brown Scapular

Assurances of the Scapular

* The special protection of the Blessed Virgin for his whole order and for all those wearing the Carmelite habit.
* Special aid, especially in the hour of death, to those wearing the habit in her honour throughout life, so that they should be preserved from hell. Indirectly, this promise is extended to all who from devotion to the Mother of God should wear her habit or badge and be thus as if it were affiliated to the Carmelite Order.

The scapular was very widespread in European countries at the end of the sixteenth century, as is evident from "La cronica Carmelitana" of the Carmelite Joseph Falcone[1]. In 1600, it appeared at Palermo the "Giardino Carmelitano" of the Carmelite Egidio Leoindelicato da Sciacca (the approval is dated 1592). Towards the end, the author gives the formulas of benediction for the Fratelli and Sorelle della Compagnia della Madonna del Carmine (who receive the complete habit of the order) and the formula for the blessing of the scapular for the Devoti della Compagnia Carmelitana.[2] This is the earliest apparent form of benediction for the small scapular. It is also noteworthy that the formula for the sisters contains no reference to the scapular, while in that for the brothers there is a special blessing for the scapular.

In recent times, the Brown Scapular is not worn by many Catholics, due to their ignorance of it even existing. But most Catholics who know of it are resolute in wearing it out of devotion to the Virgin Mary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular_of_Our_Lady_of_Mount_Carmel

There are other scapulars also that have different blessings.

SLAG
07-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Oh, Catholics. Just in case anyone's interested or worried about their salvation.. check out a Brown Scapular

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular_of_Our_Lady_of_Mount_Carmel

There are other scapulars also that have different blessings.

I wear mine Daily, Attached to the Scapular is the requiremnet to Pray the Little Office of the Virgin Mary That requirement could be changed to the Daily Rosary By your confessor

Crush
07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
I believe in God, but I refuse to take part in any form of organized religion.

Redrum_69
07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Not me.

what if that once saved person goes out and kills 20 people...or worse

is that person still saved?

Redrum_69
Alot of damn Protestants on this board

BucEyedPea
Other.
Spiritual, not part of any organized religion.
I respect all faiths even atheists and I do not like religious intolerance of any kind.

Redrum_69
07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Other.
Spiritual, not part of any organized religion.
I respect all faiths even atheists and I do not like religious intolerance of any kind.

youre going to hell

Brock
07-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I honestly don't know where she came up with that. The only people going to purgatory according to Catholic doctrine are the innocent (basically babies) who have not had the chance to be baptised and die.

No, the Pope changed his mind about that. He now says babies can crawl on up to heaven.

http://www.slate.com/id/2164834/

SLAG
07-12-2007, 09:35 AM
No, the Pope changed his mind about that. He now says babies can crawl on up to heaven.

http://www.slate.com/id/2164834/

Actually he didnt change anything,

Limbo was NEVER a Dogma, basiclly he says we dont know one way or another, and that in God's Great Mercy we hope that those babies that are not baptized are granted the Grace of the Beatific Vision.

Another Media story that was greatly distored

BucEyedPea
07-12-2007, 09:37 AM

You would be considered a Fallen-Away-Catholic, much like myself...in fact I was told that even.

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
not being catholic myself, my response to you would be the same response Peter gave on the day of Pentecost. "repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" Acts 2:38

:shake: I really shouldn't have phrased it that way.. I wasn't actually asking I was just clarifying what luv said. Oh well, I appreciate the effort.

Jilly
07-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Here is why I worry about it and continually talk about it:

1. I believe there are many broken people in the world who don't need to be, if they just could find the kind of love that Jesus offered, that kind of acceptance and grace...in whatever form it comes...

2. I believe the church has made some incredible mistakes in language that have hurt and angered and continues to do so; but I also believe the church can offer a community of people to lift each other up and support each other in need and in joy...and I don't think that kind of community can be found just anywhere.

3. I believe the world can be a better place and I believe that if the true compassion that Jesus offered was lived out by Christians, the kind of nonjudging acceptance that Jesus of Nazareth extended...to ALL people of ALL races and economic status, the care and concern he had for the lost and the hurt...then I believe this world would be a beautiful place of peace and harmony...

I get upset because so much of the faith gets wrapped up in dogma and exclusive language that people are pushed farther and farther from what I believe can be the most life transforming salvation there is....living a life in grace.

Sorry, i'm stepping down now...

InChiefsHeaven
07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Catholics are coming out of the woodwork now. Almost as many as the Protestants...on this board anyway...

Anyong Bluth
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Catholics are coming out of the woodwork now. Almost as many as the Protestants...on this board anyway...

A lovely byproduct of all the Catholic guilt is an oversexed libido, which means we f*ck like rabbits and repopulate the ranks. I know a lot of Catholics. Growing up, my school was like 60% Catholic, 20% Protestants & Jewish. Don't really know why? Even those that were lax Catholic or only showed up for Christmas and Easter still raised their kids Catholic. It's like a knee jerk reaction in some ways?

InChiefsHeaven
07-12-2007, 10:54 AM
A lovely byproduct of all the Catholic guilt is an oversexed libido, which means we f*ck like rabbits and repopulate the ranks. I know a lot of Catholics. Growing up, my school was like 60% Catholic, 20% Protestants & Jewish. Don't really know why? Even those that were lax Catholic or only showed up for Christmas and Easter still raised their kids Catholic. It's like a knee jerk reaction in some ways?

Indeed. I was a lapsed Catholic for almost 10 years after High School, but I still wanted to be married Catholic and to raise my kids as such. I'm much more serious about my faith these days, but back then, I did it out of respect to my parents and habit.

plbrdude
07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
:shake: I really shouldn't have phrased it that way.. I wasn't actually asking I was just clarifying what luv said. Oh well, I appreciate the effort.

i would tell her the same thing. same response i would give anyone. that is where it starts. have a good one

BucEyedPea
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Actually he didnt change anything,

Limbo was NEVER a Dogma...

Part of the problem is that most folks, even many RC's don't understand RC at all, let alone the word "dogma." And the difference between dogma, doctrines etc. This is why they get all worked up about Galileo and other things. They don't understand it to begin with. It's just their own idea of what they think it means.

Another Media story that was greatly distored
Yup! You betcha'! See above.

Not to mention that it was only 2% of gay priests that were involved in the most recent scandal. Yet, 13% is the stat for school teachers by the AMA. That must mean having school teachers is wrong. Anyhow, that's the logic of an anti-Catholic. Now, if they said this about a Jew....you'd immediately be labeled anti-semitic and have the ADL all over you.

InChiefsHeaven
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Not to mention the problems in many protestant denoms as well, but the Catholic Church is the biggest villain. :rolleyes:

Mr Luzcious
07-12-2007, 09:41 PM
bumping this till the end of the voting period.

Jenson71
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Proud Roman Catholic.

07-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Are you a God?
http://www.hojohnlee.com/weblog/wp-content/ghostbusters-gozer.jpg

luv
07-12-2007, 11:59 PM
http://www.hojohnlee.com/weblog/wp-content/ghostbusters-gozer.jpg
That's definitely not God. Are you God?

alnorth
07-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Atheist

BucEyedPea
07-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Atheist
I am really surprised based on your posts in the other thread.
I have to commend you for your objective and tolerant analysis on this topic.
You're not a relgion-hating athiest.