PDA

View Full Version : Packers Eyeballing LJ

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PACKERS EYEBALLING L.J.

A couple of weeks ago, former Packers linebacker George Koonce hinted on his way out of a front office job with the team that the Pack could be making a significant acquisition on offense.

The player in question could be Chiefs running back Larry Johnson.

WTMJ in Milwaukee reports that the Packers are "keeping a very close eye" on Johnson's situation. With one year remaining on his Kansas City contract, at a salary of $1.7 million, Johnson has made it clear that he wants a new contract before he endures another 400-carry season. The Chiefs discreetly dangled their Johnson (we couldn't resist) prior to the draft, but found no takers.

The problem is that anyone who wants L.J. will have to satisfy his contractual demands, and bow to the trade expectations of G.M. Carl Peterson. We think that, at a minimum, it'll take $25 million in guaranteed money to make Johnson happy, and a first-round pick and a third-round pick to get the Chiefs to bite.

If Johnson was worth that kind of a total investment, the Chiefs would be making it.

The reality here is that Johnson already has a lot of miles on the tires, and that it's still unclear whether Johnson is a truly great running back. Also, the fact that he carries the ball a lot puts him at greater risk of the kind of injury that would make the investment in his services look foolish in hindsight.

Absent a trade, there could be a nasty and protracted holdout. Johnson and Peterson have heads of solid rock, and we could envision both sides digging in, even if it's in no one's best interests to do so.

JBucc
07-12-2007, 07:19 PM
LJ for Favre!

DMAC
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
The reality here is that Johnson already has a lot of miles on the tires, and that it's still unclear whether Johnson is a truly great running back. Also, the fact that he carries the ball a lot puts him at greater risk of the kind of injury that would make the investment in his services look foolish in hindsight.

Oh..^%$&^%#!!!!!!

He ran the ball for ONE full season so far. ONE. ONE.

Stupid quote. Stupid article. We are going to sign him.

Obviously you didn't write this, GoChiefs.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
favre!? if that happened id be so damned pissed, cause it would be about 10 years too late...

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 07:27 PM
This scares me.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
This scares me.
Why? I am sure many teams are keeping a "very close eye" on the situation.

KCChiefsMan
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
we would have no RB, Priest isn't coming back. Michael Bennett can't last more than a month without injury. But the Packers could have a good draft pick because they are not that good.....I dunno

Adept Havelock
07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Pro Football Talk?

Couldn't you have found the same info at Ijustmakecrapup.com ?

That said, if the Pack is willing to give a couple of 1sts...I'd be willing to listen. Sadly, even the Lions are not that dumb.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd give him to them for a first rounder on the condition that we get him back after this season.

Brock
07-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh..^%$&^%#!!!!!!

I don't think he'll have a very long career, but to say that he's a high mileage back is pretty dumb.

milkman
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't think he'll have a very long career, but to say that he's a high mileage back is pretty dumb.

They may not be suggesting he's high mileage because he's played a long time, but rather because he's put up a huge number of carries in a short span.

Consider that Tomlinson has been starting for more than 3 times as long as LJ, but that LJ is approaching almost half the number of Tomlinson's carries, that's a lot of miles in a short time.

Rain Man
07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Football Talk?

That said, if the Pack is willing to give a couple of 1sts...I'd be willing to listen. Sadly, even the Lions are not that dumb.

Never underestimate the dumbness of Matt Millen.

Mile High Mania
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I won't believe it until Nick says so...

This was a rumor about a month ago, just like the Dallas thing. It's likely "agent initiated" to get a deal done.

Skip Towne
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Never underestimate the dumbness of Matt Millen.
How did Millen get/keep that job?

milkman
07-12-2007, 07:56 PM
How did Millen get/keep that job?

He was the only one that would agree to drive a Ford.

Sure-Oz
07-12-2007, 08:10 PM
A deal will get done, he'll probably get 20-22 mill

Buehler445
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
I still think that LJ will get paid for no other reason that he is Carl's pick. Moreover, Green Bay does not have the cahones to make big trades in recent history.

KCFalcon59
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I would only give him up if it was for 2 1st round picks.

Nzoner
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Pro Football Talk?

I don't know it was also a discussion on Sirius NFL Radio today and Tim and Jim were taking it seriously,said there was definitely more fire than smoke in this report.

Chan93lx50
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
WTF Does Herm want to go back to RBBC? Let bring Bam Morisson and Donnell Bennet back! Oh yeah dont forget Paul Hackett!

Valiant
07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
They may not be suggesting he's high mileage because he's played a long time, but rather because he's put up a huge number of carries in a short span.

Consider that Tomlinson has been starting for more than 3 times as long as LJ, but that LJ is approaching almost half the number of Tomlinson's carries, that's a lot of miles in a short time.

Add in the fact that LT catches the ball also...

Valiant
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Same..

If we are going to give up are only sure fire offensive threat it has to be for something big..

milkman
07-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Which gets him out in space, meaning he takes less punishment.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Let's not begin to compare them. Two totally different styles.

LT is like Priest, and if Priest was in LJ's position...I would agree that he is gonna wear down quick.

Jim Brown played what...9 seasons? Now he is comparible to LJ.

Brock
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Johnson would too if the Chiefs would throw it to him...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Even then, I wouldn't do it. Unless of course it was to Dallas and both of their picks for next year in the 1st round. Hopefully if that happened, Dallas and Cleveland would combine to go 4-28. :)

Mr. Laz
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
LJ for Favre!
heck no

Silock
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
WTF Does Herm want to go back to RBBC? Let bring Bam Morisson and Donnell Bennet back! Oh yeah dont forget Paul Hackett!

If you're a running team, you HAVE to have RBBC.

It's not THAT bad.

The Rick
07-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Living in Milwaukee, I get my share of Packers news and information. The Packers' GM (Ted Thompson) is notorious here for being boring and conservative. I'm not necessarily saying it won't happen, but it would go against EVERYTHING he's said and done about building a team since he came here.

milkman
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Let's not begin to compare them. Two totally different styles.

LT is like Priest, and if Priest was in LJ's position...I would agree that he is gonna wear down quick.

Jim Brown played what...9 seasons? Now he is comparible to LJ.

The difference is that defensive linemen were smaller, and Jim Brown was bigger than most of the LBs that were hitting him.

He also only had only one season that he carried the ball more than 300 times.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
RBBC <> Using two running backs.

RBBC = Splitting the carries between three or four RBs.

kcchiefsus
07-12-2007, 09:18 PM
we would have no RB, Priest isn't coming back. Michael Bennett can't last more than a month without injury. But the Packers could have a good draft pick because they are not that good.....I dunno

They would be good if they got LJ.

milkman
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
They would be good if they got LJ.

No they wouldn't.

They'd be about as good as the Chiefs were last year.

The only difference is that they play in the weak NFC.

kcchiefsus
07-12-2007, 09:24 PM
No they wouldn't.

They'd be about as good as the Chiefs were last year.

The only difference is that they play in the weak NFC.

People are going to be surprised at how good the Packers could be this year. It all hinges on how well their young offensive line comes together.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 09:25 PM
The difference is that defensive linemen were smaller, and Jim Brown was bigger than most of the LBs that were hitting him.

He also only had only one season that he carried the ball more than 300 times.He still was a punisher style RB.

Just give LJ some credit. He may not go 9 years, but he is most definately not showing signs of high miles.

Also, LJ doesn't plow over everybody every play. He has moves and gets around those big lineman.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
LJ's not going anywhere.

milkman
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
He still was a punisher style RB.

Just give LJ some credit. He may not go 9 years, but he is most definately not showing signs of high miles.

Also, LJ doesn't plow over everybody every play. He has moves and gets around those big lineman.

You don't average over 5 yards a carry for your career by simply running over people.

Jim Brown was agile and athletic, as well as big and strong.

Yes he ran over people, but he, like LJ, made people whiff as well.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 09:34 PM
You don't average over 5 yards a carry for your career by simply running over people.

Jim Brown was agile and athletic, as well as big and strong.

Yes he ran over people, but he, like LJ, made people whiff as well.I wasn't saying Jim Brown did, it's just that that is what everyone seems to think.

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 09:40 PM
wow!!!!!!!

On the one hand, I really really want to see LJ be a chief for years and years to come. I love seing him run over/through people time and time agian. Last year the line was in shambles and he still did really well. Thoughts for this year and the next few, offer many exciting thoughts.

On the other hand;
What can we get for him?
He's going to cost us alot of money, he may not be durable (in the long run.....yadda yadda) and we have bennett a probowler, and a new draft pick they seem to really like.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 09:42 PM
wow!!!!!!!

On the one hand, I really really want to see LJ be a chief for years and years to come. I love seing him run over/through people time and time agian. Last year the line was in shambles and he still did really well. Thoughts for this year and the next few, offer many exciting thoughts.

On the other hand;
What can we get for him?
He's going to cost us alot of money, he may not be durable (in the long run.....yadda yadda) and we have bennett a probowler, and a new draft pick they seem to really like.LJ's not going anywhere.

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
LJ's not going anywhere.

REPOST!!!!

actually, I'm hoping you're right. But just curious about the offer possiblities.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
If LJ thinks KC is small town he'd love Green Bay.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I dunno guys. The Packers seem to really want him. They're pushing.

KcMizzou
If LJ thinks KC is small town he'd love Green Bay.
LMAO

KcMizzou
I dunno guys. The Packers seem to really want him. They're pushing.Pfft.. you know better.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I dunno guys. The Packers seem to really want him. They're pushing.You were in Springfield to long or something.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM
No, I don't know better. The Packers seem genuinely interested. They really want the guy and KC is listening.

Direckshun
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Two firsts in next year's draft, especially considering that one of them will be a Top 10 pick (if we lose LJ, our record is going to simply be horrid)...

Doesn't sound like the end of the world.

But I'd rather us keep him in Red.

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 09:57 PM
No, I don't know better. The Packers seem genuinely interested. They really want the guy and KC is listening.

Could even you, the proprietor of Larry man love, think of a scenerio that would allow this to happen?

Tribal Warfare
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
LJ's not going anywhere.

yep, end of discussion but if this was before the draft I would've been concerned.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Could even you, the proprietor of Larry man love, think of a scenerio that would allow this to happen?

It seems to me that if the Chiefs can't sign LJ, they'll trade him.

alanm
07-12-2007, 10:01 PM
LJ's not going anywhere.
You're right, he's not. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see him signed in the next 2 weeks, just in time for the start of TC. Carl aways seems to pony up the $$$ for the guys who have earned it. Even if Larry missed the start of TC I would doubt if it went longer than a week.

alanm
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
According to whom? It's not like you have the Packers GM on speed dial. :shake:

Direckshun
07-12-2007, 10:04 PM
You've got to admit though, if Carl trades LJ, it's because Herm's arrival has had a phenomenal impact on how Carl does business.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
According to whom? It's not like you have the Packers GM on speed dial. :shake:According to profootballtalk.com

Heh.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
You've got to admit though, if Carl trades LJ, it's because Herm's arrival has had a phenomenal impact on how Carl does business.I think that's already clear. That said...

It would shock me if the Chiefs traded LJ. It's just not going to happen.

DMAC
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
GoChiefs is just trying to keep his thread going.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 10:12 PM
LJ's entrance to training camp will be the highlight of HBO's "Hard Knocks"... I'd bet on it...lol

Hammock Parties
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
GoChiefs is just trying to keep his thread going.

I don't care about that bullshit. I find these rumors credible and they scare me. I'm genuinely afraid of losing LJ for the first time.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't care about that bullshit. I find these rumors credible and they scare me. I'm genuinely afraid of losing LJ for the first time.

Sorry man. LMAO

Eleazar
07-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Carl squeezes the second tier guys. He pays guys like Priest Holmes, Tony Gonzalez, Ty Law, Pat Surtain, Trent Green... he pays marquee players. He won't let Johnson go.

There will be gamesmanship during camp, and Carl won't care about LJ staying fresh until the season starts anyway. But he will get his money.

KcMizzou
07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Seriously though....

I think this is all nonsense. LJ's the "man" now for the Chiefs. We're not going to give up our only weapon and biggest draw at this point.

If anything, we'll ride LJ through this rebuilding period.. and hopefully be finished by the time we use him up.

Direckshun
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm finding your sigline to be momentarily appropriate, KcMizz.

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 10:56 PM
It seems to me that if the Chiefs can't sign LJ, they'll trade him.

exactly, remember part of this is on Larry Johnson. I know we haven't signed many rookies yet, if we suddenly sign the rookies, I'll really start to worry about LJ. For now, nothing has happened.

Direckshun
07-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Another lackluster, content absent post by CrazyCoffey LMAO

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 11:07 PM
LMAO

You like that? I don't know where it came from. I said something about Ultra Nut teh Pea nut dating End teh delt and suddenly I can't change my sig.

Direckshun
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
You like that? I don't know where it came from. I said something about Ultra Nut teh Pea nut dating End teh delt and suddenly I can't change my sig.
That happens to me every time I do the same thing.

crazycoffey
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
That happens to me every time I do the same thing.

How can anyone NOT love this place.....

MeaTy The Pimp
07-13-2007, 05:49 AM
Pro Football Talk?

Isn't Profootballtalk.com the "National Enquirer" of sports media?

chagrin
07-13-2007, 05:56 AM
Oh..^%$&^%#!!!!!!

I know I don't play football and all, but I simply don't agree that after this one season, he's done, This is the silliest shit ever.

Of course, almost as silly is LJ would be happy living in friggin Green Bay. That won't happen, no way - I don't care what the rumor mill says.

Nzoner
07-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Just to add to the discussion but the guys on Sirius yesterday also made mention that the Titans could have a real interest here,Travis Henry is gone they've resigned Chris Brown and apparently are well under the cap.They made reference to the days of McNair/George when talking about a Young/LJ tandem.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 06:56 AM
The Packers have Morency and spent a R2 pick on Jackson ... just don't see it. Cowboys have Jones and Barber and after the Galloway experiment years ago (gave up 2 R1 picks)... they will not do that again. Jerry Jones has said this on local radio.

Of all the teams out there that may be willing to give you what you want... I could see it being the Titans. They essentially have a bust with the round mound of touchdown, White and Brown is a spare. They did draft a nice rookie with potential (C Henry).

However, Young and LJ would create a ground attack like the Falcons have ... but, on roids.

Question is... will they give enough to get him in a trade? I think that could be your best trading partner, but would be surprised if ANY team gave up two R1 picks. Teams have learned a lot since the days of mortgaging draft picks for a player.

And, GoQueefs isn't nervous... he's baiting you so he can say "Yes, I'm painfully nervous and there's a thread in our "premium section" at WPI with news"... spare.

Otter
07-13-2007, 07:04 AM
If the perception I've built up of Carl Peterson over the last 15 years has any validity he'll never let this happen unless the Packers or any other team raised the bar beyond what any rational franchise would offer for any running back.

LJ is his pick, his ego.

You're better off worrying about getting into a automobile accident on the way home from work if you're really looking for somthing to worry about.

Buehler445
07-13-2007, 07:11 AM
The Packers have Morency and spent a R2 pick on Jackson ... just don't see it. Cowboys have Jones and Barber and after the Galloway experiment years ago (gave up 2 R1 picks)... they will not do that again. Jerry Jones has said this on local radio.

Of all the teams out there that may be willing to give you what you want... I could see it being the Titans. They essentially have a bust with the round mound of touchdown, White and Brown is a spare. They did draft a nice rookie with potential (C Henry).

However, Young and LJ would create a ground attack like the Falcons have ... but, on roids.

Question is... will they give enough to get him in a trade? I think that could be your best trading partner, but would be surprised if ANY team gave up two R1 picks. Teams have learned a lot since the days of mortgaging draft picks for a player.

And, GoQueefs isn't nervous... he's baiting you so he can say "Yes, I'm painfully nervous and there's a thread in our "premium section" at WPI with news"... spare.

Good thoughts. Although I can't see the Titans doing it either because they are rebuilding too. I don't think they will want to sacrifice their future to win now. Even though it might save their QB's life.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah, I can't for the life of me figure out what the Titans are doing... they lose their leading WR (Bennett) and RB (Henry) after Young gets the ROY in 2006. Young's reward... a bunch of never have beens at WR, an injury prone Brown and a fatass underachiever in White.

I mean, yeah... Young is a phenom, but look at that schedule - he's going to be medicore this season. Young did not will them to 8 wins on his own.

Simplex3
07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
That's just stupid. There are great RBs in every draft. For two firsts you can move up and get one that doesn't have 400+ carries from last season.

I could maybe see a first and a third being reasonable. The first it would take to get your own guy and a third to remove the worry of them being a bust. However, LJ is a bigger injury risk than a young guy, so it may be a wash.

I'd take a first straight up for LJ, especially from the Packers who will likely be picking very early next year.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Simplex... that's why Dallas would never do this trade. Hell, they have Barber under contract. Jones is up at the end of this year, now I can see them trading him now... but, why would Dallas give up 2 R1 picks for LJ when they could very well either take McFadden next year with that pick they took from CLE or use both to move up for McFadden?

boogblaster
07-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Pay him the money...the Pack will just get him hurt .....

Simplex3
07-13-2007, 08:39 AM
On another note, I wouldn't pay LJ what he's asking either. It's too much for a RB. The Chiefs are rebuilding and he's going to be run into the ground by the time they finish, so why go broke on him in the process?

As much as it's hated here in KC and in FFL leagues everywhere, RBBC is the way smart teams are playing it. That way one guy going down doesn't hose your team.

Brock
07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
As much as it's hated here in KC and in FFL leagues everywhere, RBBC is the way smart teams are playing it. That way one guy going down doesn't hose your team.

I don't consider two running backs to be a committee, and that seems to be what the better teams are doing.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't consider two running backs to be a committee, and that seems to be what the better teams are doing.

Sorta...

In 2006, 12 teams made the playoffs and here is how they employed their RBs:

AFC (SD / BAL / IND / NE / NYJ / KC)

3 teams used primary RBs (SD / BAL / KC) while the Jets used RBBC out of necessity.
The Patriots and Colts employed two RB systems for much the same reasons, they took rookies high in the 2006 draft and worked them in over time.

In 2007, the Colts and Patriots are moving to the primary RB approach... and of the remaining AFC playoff teams from 2006, the Ravens traded for McGahee, the Jets traded for Thomas Jones, the Chargers and Chiefs still have their stud runners.

So, while the two AFC teams in their title game had a 2-back system... each of the 6 teams in the AFC have gone to a "PRIMARY" RB focus, along with several other teams.

NFC (CHI / NOS / PHI / SEA / DAL / NYG)

3 teams used RBBC by design (CHI / NOS / DAL) while the Seahawks used it out of necessity thanks to Alexander's injury.
The Eagles were primarily using Westbrook and the Giants primarily used Barber, but Jacobs did spell him and steal goal-line scores. But, I wouldn't call the Giants a true RBBC in 2006.

In 2007, the Bears traded Jones and are hoping that Benson is their primary guy. The Saints and Cowboys appear to still have RBBC (or the split RB approach) while the Giants could be leaning the same way with Jacobs and Droughns. Philly will likely still be primarily Westbrook, but guys like Hunt and others will see minimal time. In SEA, Alexander is still the man, if healthy.

In the NFC, teams like WAS will likely employ more of a 2-RB system - not exactly a RBBC, but Betts will see more time like the RBs in NYG last season.

So, I see "less" teams doing this in 2007, but it will still be a focus for a number of teams with high profile players.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Pay him the money...the Pack will just get him hurt .....
LJ is due to get hurt. We rode his ass to the playoffs last year. I am all for a 1st and 4rd draft pick with their RB of the future Brandon Jackson from nebraska. He is fresh, and would be a smart pick up if the chiefs truly want to rebuild.

Brock
07-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Sorta...

In 2006, 12 teams made the playoffs and here is how they employed their RBs:

AFC (SD / BAL / IND / NE / NYJ / KC)

3 teams used primary RBs (SD / BAL / KC) while the Jets used RBBC out of necessity.
The Patriots and Colts employed two RB systems for much the same reasons, they took rookies high in the 2006 draft and worked them in over time.

In 2007, the Colts and Patriots are moving to the primary RB approach... and of the remaining AFC playoff teams from 2006, the Ravens traded for McGahee, the Jets traded for Thomas Jones, the Chargers and Chiefs still have their stud runners.

So, while the two AFC teams in their title game had a 2-back system... each of the 6 teams in the AFC have gone to a "PRIMARY" RB focus, along with several other teams.

NFC (CHI / NOS / PHI / SEA / DAL / NYG)

3 teams used RBBC by design (CHI / NOS / DAL)

Chicago, New Orleans, and Dallas all have, or had, 2 good running backs. Same with Indy, NE, and even SD and Denver to an extent. It's more of a handcuff situation than a committee is all I'm saying.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 09:16 AM
REPOST!

Simplex3
07-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Chicago, New Orleans, and Dallas all have, or had, 2 good running backs. Same with Indy, NE, and even SD and Denver to an extent. It's more of a handcuff situation than a committee is all I'm saying.
In NE they split series last year. Indy did a very similar arrangement. Denver changed starters from one week to the next and the "starter" might have been on the bench by the 3rd quarter.

Any way you slice it that's RBBC.

bogie
07-13-2007, 10:53 AM
It seems like you guys are willing to trade away our entire team just to get younger and yet the younger players could very well suck. I don't get it. Ever heard of the expression a bird in the hand...

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
When in Rome........

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 10:58 AM
A handcuff situation is LT and Michael Turner... split duty whether it's 2 players going 50/50 or 3 players getting a 1/3 of the action is RBBC.

The Falcons have had RBBC for years with Dunn, Duckett, Norwood and Vick doing his thing.

The Jets last year were an example of RBBC b/c they had no clear #1 guy... now they do.

In PITT, when you had Parker and Bettis at the end... that wasn't a RBBC, similar to the Giants last year. You had a primary guy getting the yards and doing the damage while someone else came into to get the glory by scoring.

Denver has had a RBBC the last few years... sure, there was a "lead" RB, but there were no assurances. Indy and NE last year were a true split, but those good teams that did that ... well, they're both abandoning that model this year.

Redrum_69
07-13-2007, 10:59 AM
I hear the RAIDERS are interested in getting LJ also

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I hear matt millen is willing to suck carls cock for LJ.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

PACKERS EYEBALLING L.J.

The Chiefs discreetly dangled their Johnson prior to the draft, but found no takers.

ROFL

RustShack
07-13-2007, 11:27 AM
It will take a huge trade to get LJ, and it wont happen.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
It will take a huge trade to get LJ, and it wont happen.
you aren't a hawkeyes fan r u?

RustShack
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
you aren't a hawkeyes fan r u?

IOWA STATE!!!

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 11:34 AM
IOWA STATE!!!

And to think, I thought about defending you...

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
me too. how do u think they will do this year?

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
It depends on the Oline, it will have alot of new starters, and they had a couple good linemen transfer, so if it can do good I think they will have a pretty good year.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM
it seems like they are awesome every other year. So, they should go to a bowl game this year.

Sanka
07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
If we trade LJ to the Pack for their first rounder next season, we lose. With the acquisition of LJ, I believe they become a playoff team.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
It might me a rough start with their new coach, but I'm glad we got him. I think he can make the Cyclones alot better in the next couple years, hes already got some pretty good players to transfer to Iowa State, and thier recruiting should get a little better too.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:17 PM
If we trade LJ we lose any chance of being a playoff team.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:18 PM
**** it, it is a rebuilding year.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I would rather keep LJ and rebuild while still being a good team.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM

In 2007 yes... but, who knows what you can get for him. What if you were able to get a sweet draft pick and a late 20's WR that has talent?

RBs are fairly easy to replace... granted, those in the top 2-4 at their position are tough to find, but who says you need a top 3 RB to win it all.

Tomlinson and Alexander don't have rings... Priest didn't get one as a starter. LJ doesn't have one, Barber never got one. Curtis Martin never got one. Edge never got one... Sanders never got one.

Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis are the only RBs in the last decade to be the rushing leader and win a title.

I'm just sayin... it may not be the end of the world if you can get great value and no, it won't be two R1 picks. Something like what Denver got for Portis could be expected, but you need to find a Daniel Snyder out there.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2007, 12:28 PM
In 2007 yes... but, who knows what you can get for him. What if you were able to get a sweet draft pick and a late 20's WR that has talent?

RBs are fairly easy to replace... granted, those in the top 2-4 at their position are tough to find, but who says you need a top 3 RB to win it all.

Tomlinson and Alexander don't have rings... Priest didn't get one as a starter. LJ doesn't have one, Barber never got one. Curtis Martin never got one. Edge never got one... Sanders never got one.

Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis are the only RBs in the last decade to be the rushing leader and win a title.

I'm just sayin... it may not be the end of the world if you can get great value and no, it won't be two R1 picks. Something like what Denver got for Portis could be expected, but you need to find a Daniel Snyder out there.You are a smart fellow, for a Donkey fan.
:)

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2007, 12:29 PM
If we trade LJ we lose any chance of being a playoff team.Yeah, because JUST making it to the playoffs is all that matters...
:rolleyes:

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
They need to get stronger on offence before they trade LJ, right now LJ is the offence untill Croyle, Bowe, and whoever else start to get everything down and become good pro players. If we lose LJ that will kill Croyle and he will just be getting sacked, throw incomplete passes, and interceptions. He needs LJ to lean on for a year or two.

Nzoner
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM

Alot of good that did us last season.

Simplex3
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM

I'm just sayin... it may not be the end of the world if you can get great value and no, it won't be two R1 picks. Something like what Denver got for Portis could be expected, but you need to find a Daniel Snyder out there.
Quit trying to talk sensibly. There are rants to be made and man crushes to be exposed.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, because JUST making it to the playoffs is all that matters...
:rolleyes:

You need to make the playoffs before you make the super bowl. You sound like you want us to be the Lions and get high picks every year, yea thats winning them a super bowl isnt it.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
They need to get stronger on offence before they trade LJ, right now LJ is the offence untill Croyle, Bowe, and whoever else start to get everything down and become good pro players. If we lose LJ that will kill Croyle and he will just be getting sacked, throw incomplete passes, and interceptions. He needs LJ to lean on for a year or two.
You act like LJ is God. Don't get your panties in a bunch, the goal of this year is not to win a super bowl, but to gain experience and depth. LJ is just a speed bump for the chiefs to acheive this goal. I'd much rather have a losing record this year than barely miss/make the playoffs.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
You need to make the playoffs before you make the super bowl. You sound like you want us to be the Lions and get high picks every year, yea thats winning them a super bowl isnt it.
And we're winning superbowls every year?

Nzoner
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
You need to make the playoffs before you make the super bowl.

And we made the play-offs with LJ and alot of good it did us,I might be a bit more positive had the team even showed up,including our stud rb.

bogie
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm beggining to believe that people are grasping to win the SB. It seems people believe we have to suck for years prior to hopefully winning the SB. What's the difference between sucking while building (with no guarantees) or sucking while keeping vets (with no guarantees)?

Simplex3
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm beggining to believe that people are grasping to win the SB.
Hell, I'd be happy with a f**king playoff win.

sedated
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
And we made the play-offs with LJ and alot of good it did us,I might be a bit more positive had the team even showed up,including our stud rb.

our defense did.

bogie
07-13-2007, 12:47 PM

Our team didn't show up because our OL sucked, our QB was scared to death and our coach had a horrible game plan. It had very little to do with the age of our players.

Nzoner
07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
our defense did.

In the spirit of team unity I was trying not to point fingers :D

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
our defense did.
yeah

Nzoner
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
our coach had a horrible game plan.

I was watching the replay of the Jags-Chiefs game last week and it really got me how Herm in his post game interview was talking about doing whatever it took to win in an important game,the flea flicker where green hit Kennison for the td and the attempted td pass by LJ only to have to recall the shit I sat through the following week.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow, i can't believe there was that much change in the gameplan from those two games. I thought that SuperHerm would at least mix it up a little bit

RustShack
07-13-2007, 01:05 PM
You need somthing to build around, and why not build the offence around LJ. Then maybe in a couple years if/when Croyle gets any good you can build the offence around him and wont need a great RB like LJ, then you can have the scrub rb you guys want now.

Priest4Prez
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
You need somthing to build around, and why not build the offence around LJ. Then maybe in a couple years if/when Croyle gets any good you can build the offence around him and wont need a great RB like LJ, then you can have the scrub rb you guys want now.
Because most RBs don't make it into their 30s. LJ is due to get injured, and already is on pace to have a very short career with the workload he had last season. Herm can't give him the ball 400 times a year and expect him to take it year in and year out.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Most RB's start for more than 1 1/2 years also.

Fish
07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Because most RBs don't make it into their 30s. LJ is due to get injured, and already is on pace to have a very short career with the workload he had last season. Herm can't give him the ball 400 times a year and expect him to take it year in and year out.

Now I've seen you use this statement more than a few times here....

How the f*ck do you know when a player is "due" to be injured? That's an asinine statement and I really wish you'd quit using it.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I think every player is due to get injured this year so I guess they will have to cancel the NFL for the rest of the year :)

RustShack
07-13-2007, 01:26 PM
No but really, I don't think LJ has a history of getting hurt, which is good. He still has extreamly fresh legs also (besides last years load, but that wont have any effect on his play), and as long as he stays in shape we won't have anything to worry about.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Most RB's start for more than 1 1/2 years also.

Most RB's don't carry the ball 800+ times in 2 seasons.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
No but really, I don't think LJ has a history of getting hurt, which is good. He still has extreamly fresh legs also (besides last years load, but that wont have any effect on his play), and as long as he stays in shape we won't have anything to worry about.

LJ doesn't have a history of getting hurt.

But RB's that set the single-season carry record absolutely do.

It's very much a concern, as it should be.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 01:34 PM
He's just making up for all the carries he didn't get earlyer, hes still got a long ways away to catch up to LT's 2,500+ carries (and thats not including his catches either).

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 01:58 PM
He's just making up for all the carries he didn't get earlyer, hes still got a long ways away to catch up to LT's 2,500+ carries (and thats not including his catches either).

That's the rub.

It's not the shear number of carries, it's the short length of time it took to get them.

It's much, much harder on you to run 1 mile in less than 4 minutes than to walk that same mile in 8 hours.

beer bacon
07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Most RB's don't carry the ball 800+ times in 2 seasons.

Then it is a good thing LJ hasn't carried the ball 800+ times the last two seasons.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Then it is a good thing LJ hasn't carried the ball 800+ times the last two seasons.

I was counting receptions.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 02:14 PM
That's the rub.

It's not the shear number of carries, it's the short length of time it took to get them.

It's much, much harder on you to run 1 mile in less than 4 minutes than to walk that same mile in 8 hours.

and you recover from that walk/run and do better the next time.

beer bacon
07-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I was counting receptions.

If we are counting receptions, LdT had 864 total touches during his 2nd and 3rd seasons. He seems to be doing ok.

Hell, LdT had 1,262 touches his first three seasons. He should have been finished after that.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 02:19 PM
If we are counting receptions, LdT had 864 total touches during his 2nd and 3rd seasons. He seems to be doing ok.

Hell, LdT had 1,262 touches his first three seasons. He should have been finished after that.

LT started all 16 games both of those seasons.

Larry only had 336 carries last year, but he also had only 9 starts.

You simply cannot dismiss the history - LJ may very well defy the odds, but probability is not on his side.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that averages out to 400+ all three years, which is impossible, based on what ive been hearing today any RB would be dead after numbers like that :)

Redrum_69
07-13-2007, 02:21 PM
LJ cant shuck corn as well as htismaqe can

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that averages out to 400+ all three years, which is impossible, based on what ive been hearing today any RB would be dead after numbers like that :)

LJ came just 40 touches short of FIVE HUNDRED, not 400, last season.

And nobody is saying it's impossible.

Put acting like it's no big deal is, well, ridiculous.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
LJ cant shuck corn as well as htismaqe can

I don't shuck corn.

I chuck wood.

I'm a woodchuck.

RustShack
07-13-2007, 02:24 PM
LT started all 16 games both of those seasons.

Larry only had 336 carries last year, but he also had only 9 starts.

You simply cannot dismiss the history - LJ may very well defy the odds, but probability is not on his side.

Players get stronger and better every year, they are way more advanced now than they were. Also in history, I don't think any of those players reached the 400+ mark in thier 1st full season as a starter, and none have been as young as LJ, and LJ has alot less miles on his legs than they did.

B_Ambuehl
07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
LJ doesn't really fit Green Bay's zone blocking scheme. I don't see this happening.

htismaqe
07-13-2007, 03:04 PM
Players get stronger and better every year, they are way more advanced now than they were. Also in history, I don't think any of those players reached the 400+ mark in thier 1st full season as a starter, and none have been as young as LJ, and LJ has alot less miles on his legs than they did.

All valid points.

All we can do at this point is hope.

shyguyms
07-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Brett Favre???? if the pack is smart they will tell him to hang it up, it's over he was never that great anyway. He was picked off more than any QB in NFL history.
Trade LJ to the Browns for Quinn and a first and third next year

milkman
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Trade LJ to the Browns for Quinn and a first and third next year

LMAO

CoMoChief
07-14-2007, 08:12 AM
wow!!!!!!!

On the other hand;
What can we get for him?
He's going to cost us alot of money, he may not be durable (in the long run.....yadda yadda) and we have bennett a probowler, and a new draft pick they seem to really like.

Bennett was a Pro Bowler 5 years ago, and has proven multiple times over his pro career that he can't be counted on for 16 games.

2006 (KC) - Missed 5 games
2005 (MIN) - Missed 0 games, but hardly played due to MIN RBBC system
2004 (MIN) - Missed 5 games
2003 (MIN) - Missed 8 games
2002 (MIN) - Missed 0 games, this is his only productive season in which he did make the Pro Bowl.
2001 (MIN) - Missed 3 games

Ugly Duck
07-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Pro Football Talk?

Adept cutting thru the bull.....

chiefsfan1963
07-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I will easily take a 1st and 3rd for LJ. This would be huge for us if this could happen. Although I think LJ is one the best backs in the league, getting a 1st and 3rd may be the best strategy for the CHiefs long term
future.

blueballs
07-14-2007, 01:17 PM
yes they are eyeballing LJ
that is why they call them the Pack

Priest4Prez
07-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I will easily take a 1st and 3rd for LJ. This would be huge for us if this could happen. Although I think LJ is one the best backs in the league, getting a 1st and 3rd may be the best strategy for the CHiefs long term
future.
I completely agree with you.

Valiant
07-14-2007, 02:16 PM
future.

The minimum a 1st and a 2nd...

Buehler445
07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Bennett was a Pro Bowler 5 years ago, and has proven multiple times over his pro career that he can't be counted on for 16 games.

2006 (KC) - Missed 5 games
2005 (MIN) - Missed 0 games, but hardly played due to MIN RBBC system
2004 (MIN) - Missed 5 games
2003 (MIN) - Missed 8 games
2002 (MIN) - Missed 0 games, this is his only productive season in which he did make the Pro Bowl.
2001 (MIN) - Missed 3 games

And what did we give for this guy? a 4th?

milkman
07-14-2007, 04:58 PM
The minimum a 1st and a 2nd...

People have LJ way overvalued.

Sure, he may well be the second best back in the league, and without him, but there's no way in hell I'd even give up a 1st and a 3rd for him.

orange
07-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Sure, he may well be the second best back in the league, and without him, but there's no way in hell I'd even give up a 1st and a 3rd for him.

Not only that, but any team that traded for LJ would have to free up cap space, so players will have to be involved, not extra draft picks.

That's why the Clinton Portis deal was so complicated, and why this sort of big trade is rarely pulled off.

Tribal Warfare
07-14-2007, 05:36 PM

I have to disagree the man is closest thing to Jim Brown, and that's sacrelige. A team would have to ante up bigtime

milkman
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I have to disagree the man is closest thing to Jim Brown, and that's sacrelige. A team would have to ante up bigtime

Regardless of how good he is, unless I'm a team that has SB asperations and I think he's the final piece to a legitimate SB run, then I am not giving up that much to bring him to my team.

I just don't see any team that fits into that criteria.

And the Pack sure as hell don't.

blueballs
07-21-2007, 07:54 AM
I command
this thread to be
unstickied