PDA

View Full Version : Sooo, emotionally high right now..

Ceej
07-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Scored my biggest live tournament cash tonight. $560 (poker)!

I feel soo good right now.

If anyone cares I'll share details!

Dunit35
07-12-2007, 10:59 PM
sure, let's hear how your hold em went.

Ebolapox
07-12-2007, 11:00 PM
what happened to the dude who was trying it pro for a year or so? wonder how he did at the WSOP

Ceej
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
The game is fairly easy. I'm a tight/conservative player.

$20 tourney, unlimited rebuys first hour + optional add on at the end of the hour.

Had no hands the first hour.. got it all in on a 833 flop..had Q8, guy limped with JJ. He called my bet.

After he won the hand he says, "I thought you had the 3." LOL. That kind of gives you an idea how bad the field is. Maybe 3-4 tight solid players.

Anyway, I rebuy, obv. Coast into the final table, which is pretty cake. We had 3 full tables.

Needless to say, twice I looked at my first card and it was an ace and I shoved all in. Both times I had AA and doubled up.

A couple of hands worth note at the final table.. I'm in the BB with A8, blinds were relatively small (sorry if I don't remember all details). Some guy pushes and I recall it wasn't much of my stack.

He shows AQ. Flop is 7 9 10. I turn a Jack and he goes busto, doesn't hit broadway on the river. So, that scored me a big win.

To move things alot a bit quicker. 3 times I was all in the BB... the funny thing is, nobody else called, so every time it was just me and the SB. I love those odds.

Another hand worth nothing. Blinds are 4k/8k. I'm pretty shortstacked. I pick up 86clubs and push. SB folds, and bb ponders. Now, kind of off topic. This guy is baaad. He bought someone's seat twice tonight for $200 a pop. He's a degenerate gambler and drinker. He's got a big problem. So, he thinks and thinks. He finally folds A6 up and I laugh, flipping up my 86. That hand won me the tournament basically. Next hand was a 3 way all in. 44 v A3 v my 72s I was in the bb and it was only 2k more to call the all ins. I flop a 7 and take it down.

Two major hands kept me in the tournament. Man...it feels good. The funny thing is I text one of my managers from work and it said, "I'm going to win tonight, bitch."

Ahhhh, love it.

Dunit35
07-12-2007, 11:09 PM
what happened to the dude who was trying it pro for a year or so? wonder how he did at the WSOP

Yeah, Gochiefs talks about him in this thread. "Have you ever dated someone that became famous after you broke up / divorced them?"

ChiefaRoo
07-13-2007, 12:38 AM

That would be me. I entered 5 events this year. I cashed in two of them and made $$ playing satellites. Using those $$ I entered the Main Event but got eliminated at the end of Day 1C. Didn't make a mistake all day. My downfall was I got put in the "cooler" six, count 'em six times. All in all I was disappointed in what happened in the Main Event but a guy can't control the sucks outs. I'll be back next year.

Discuss Thrower
07-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Sir, the IRS has been informed and will collect 52% of your winnings by noon tomorrow. Resistance is futile. Your money will be assimilated for the common good...

ChiefaRoo
07-13-2007, 12:42 AM

$20 tourney, unlimited rebuys first hour + optional add on at the end of the hour.

Had no hands the first hour.. got it all in on a 833 flop..had Q8, guy limped with JJ. He called my bet.

After he won the hand he says, "I thought you had the 3." LOL. That kind of gives you an idea how bad the field is. Maybe 3-4 tight solid players.

Anyway, I rebuy, obv. Coast into the final table, which is pretty cake. We had 3 full tables.

Needless to say, twice I looked at my first card and it was an ace and I shoved all in. Both times I had AA and doubled up.

A couple of hands worth note at the final table.. I'm in the BB with A8, blinds were relatively small (sorry if I don't remember all details). Some guy pushes and I recall it wasn't much of my stack.

He shows AQ. Flop is 7 9 10. I turn a Jack and he goes busto, doesn't hit broadway on the river. So, that scored me a big win.

To move things alot a bit quicker. 3 times I was all in the BB... the funny thing is, nobody else called, so every time it was just me and the SB. I love those odds.

Another hand worth nothing. Blinds are 4k/8k. I'm pretty shortstacked. I pick up 86clubs and push. SB folds, and bb ponders. Now, kind of off topic. This guy is baaad. He bought someone's seat twice tonight for $200 a pop. He's a degenerate gambler and drinker. He's got a big problem. So, he thinks and thinks. He finally folds A6 up and I laugh, flipping up my 86. That hand won me the tournament basically. Next hand was a 3 way all in. 44 v A3 v my 72s I was in the bb and it was only 2k more to call the all ins. I flop a 7 and take it down.

Two major hands kept me in the tournament. Man...it feels good. The funny thing is I text one of my managers from work and it said, "I'm going to win tonight, bitch."

Ahhhh, love it.

Congrats on winning. Let me tell you though that the guy who limped with JJ is a retard regardless of position he was inviting you and others to outdraw him which is usually fatal in tournament play. Secondly, the game is NOT easy. NLHold'em is a brutal game when you are playing against the best players in the world. Regardless, congrats.

SPchief
07-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Let me tell you though that the guy who limped with JJ is a retard regardless of position

What is the guy thinking limping with JJ?

ChiefaRoo
07-13-2007, 12:51 AM
What is the guy thinking limping with JJ?

He's thinking he's trapping before the flop. However, in a 10 handed tournament table lots of guys will play even if they have bad hands in an unraised pot, especially the blinds. If you figure only the blinds playing and each player having two live cards you now have less than a 50% of winning the hand with JJ and you have no way of putting the blinds on a hand so they could have anything and you won't know. JJ limping is just begging to get set up to lose a big pot.

SPchief
07-13-2007, 12:54 AM
He's thinking he's trapping before the flop. However, in a 10 handed tournament table lots of guys will play even if they have bad hands in an unraised pot, especially the blinds. If you figure only the blinds playing and each player having two live cards you now have less than a 50% of winning the hand with JJ and you have no way of putting the blinds on a hand so they could have anything and you won't know. JJ limping is just begging to get set up to lose a big pot.

I'm aware of how to play the game.

ChiefaRoo
07-13-2007, 12:59 AM
I'm aware of how to play the game.

Cool. Do you play Tourneys or a good home game?

SPchief
07-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Cool. Do you play Tourneys or a good home game?

SNG's at Full Tilt.

Hootie
07-13-2007, 06:49 AM
I think you over-estimate pocket Jacks...

Probably my LEAST favorite hand in poker.

I'll limp with jacks in early position all of the time...people fall in love with jacks because they are face cards, but in all reality, they really aren't that much better than 8's or 9's and people bust out with this shitty hand all of the time.

I've folded jacks preflop THOUSANDS of times in NL...

Of course, in limit, jacks are insta-raise...but I'll look at a flop with jacks and then decide where I'm going with them in NL rather than have them determine my fate pre-flop...

Mr. Plow
07-13-2007, 07:15 AM

Ahhhh, love it.

I just realized how little I know about poker.

Ceej
07-13-2007, 07:19 AM
The guy who limped with JJ isn't good at poker at all. That's probably why he limped with JJ.

I think the "I thought you had a 3" comment made it pretty clear he's not a good player.

But, regardless, I'm the one who limped with Q8s. I guess I had it coming to me.

Pretty cool playing in the ME Chief. One day I'd love just to play in one of the other smaller WSOP tournaments there.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Hootie, I agree with your thoughts on JJ ... but I feel the same way about AK. There's a reason they call it Anna Kournikova ... AK looks great, but rarely wins. You have to play AK very aggressive and it's hard to fold.

What I hate is having AK, then a flop like 469. Any pair owns you at that point for all intents and purposes.

Poker is fun... totally frustrating, but fun.

A buddy of mine is a fine poker player, we have a monthly game and he has some nice articles for those interested.

http://www.thepokerforum.com/joebenik.htm

Dartgod
07-13-2007, 07:28 AM
My downfall was I got put in the "cooler" six, count 'em six times.
What does this mean?

Did you have any well known pros at your table?

Hootie
07-13-2007, 07:41 AM
What does this mean?

Did you have any well known pros at your table?
a cold deck...keep getting good cards but keep losing extensive amounts of chips with them.

Hootie
07-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Hootie, I agree with your thoughts on JJ ... but I feel the same way about AK. There's a reason they call it Anna Kournikova ... AK looks great, but rarely wins. You have to play AK very aggressive and it's hard to fold.

What I hate is having AK, then a flop like 469. Any pair owns you at that point for all intents and purposes.

Poker is fun... totally frustrating, but fun.

A buddy of mine is a fine poker player, we have a monthly game and he has some nice articles for those interested.

http://www.thepokerforum.com/joebenik.htm
AK off only becomes a top hand when the blinds start getting big...it's a great hand to rake in the blinds...

I play Limit, mostly, and AK and JJ are insta-raise, three-bet or cap hands...for sure, especially to get position...

but in NL, in the early stages, out of position I'll limp with both and then figure out what I'm going to do with the hands after the flop...

If you have AK and the flop is A310 and someone gets ridiculous, if you limped pre-flop, you can always lay it down and not look back...it's never a big mistake to fold a hand when you aren't committed...

I've won a few dozen multis in my day...used to play poker 40-50 hours a week, but have cooled down...I was a big fan of party, was real disappointed when it shut down...Full Tilt is ok...UB is a ****ing grind...the 10/20 and 30/60 games on that site are ridiculous. Not good games at all...the tourneys suck, too.

Dartgod
07-13-2007, 07:54 AM
a cold deck...keep getting good cards but keep losing extensive amounts of chips with them.
Ahhh. I've certainly experienced that.

cookster50
07-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Used to play online until the ones I used shutdown because of the law passed a year or so ago got everyone worried. How do you play online still? How do you fund it and get withdraws?

Hootie
07-13-2007, 08:34 AM
UB takes debit/credit card transactions still...you can withdraw to a prepaid ATM account or get a check in the mail.

Ceej
07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Same with PokerStars and FullTiltPoker. They just zap it from your checking acct.

I also thought being "coolered" was being one-upped. For instance, 2nd nut flush v nut flush, KK v AA, things of that nature.

Hootie
07-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Same with PokerStars and FullTiltPoker. They just zap it from your checking acct.

I also thought being "coolered" was being one-upped. For instance, 2nd nut flush v nut flush, KK v AA, things of that nature.
ok well the term originated from a cold deck...

now people use it like you said but they aren't insinuating any cheating is being involved...

stumppy
07-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Poker Time and Poker4Ever still allow players from the USA. Both are set up to take credit cards and use 3rd party sites.

I don't know how long Poker4Ever has been in business but it doesn't have a lot of players. Usually around 100 to 125 members online at a time. It seems to have a lot of members from Romania, Bulgaria, and Hungary. If you ever find yourself up against anybody from those countrys keep in mind that 90% of them seem to think if thay paired anything at all it's a winner. I would love to play a tourny full of Romanian and Bulgarian players.
Pokertime is a pretty good site too. A hell of a lot better than UB or Stars. IMO.

Ceej
07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
I think alot of sites are better than PokerStars. :)

Simply Red
07-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't play but nice read though...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2007, 09:32 AM

If you don't flop a set, and there is a bigger card out there, GO AWAY!!!! Hand is marginal at best. They don't call JJ "Deadbeat Dads" for nothing, THEY NEVER PAY!!!!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2007, 09:34 AM
ok well the term originated from a cold deck...

now people use it like you said but they aren't insinuating any cheating is being involved...

I was playing live a couple of days ago and looked down at 33 flop came 5-2-9 no bets, I lay down $3. It was a 3/6 game. Calls all around. Turn comes 3. Guy in front of me bets, I raise. He flat calls. River comes 2. I'm good we go back and forth till it's capped. I turn over my 3's over 2's full house, and get ready to take down the pot, when he turns over pocket 5's. Bigger full house. That's a ****in cooler.

Hootie
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I was playing live a couple of days ago and looked down at 33 flop came 5-2-9 no bets, I lay down $3. It was a 3/6 game. Calls all around. Turn comes 3. Guy in front of me bets, I raise. He flat calls. River comes 2. I'm good we go back and forth till it's capped. I turn over my 3's over 2's full house, and get ready to take down the pot, when he turns over pocket 5's. Bigger full house. That's a ****in cooler.
I was playing 20/40 in Chicago a few months ago and I hate pocket 4's...

I raised under the gun, a guy three bet behind me and the guy in the big blind calls, I call...

Flop is 4 7 8 all clubs...I check, dude who three bets me bets, guy in the BB calls, I call...

Turn comes out a blank, the dude in the BB leads (real weird), so I decide to raise to see where I'm at, guy who three bet me pre-flop THREE BETS (so now I know I'm no good), BB calls and I call praying for the board to pair...

River is a 7, BB checks, I lead to see what the guy behind me does...he calls so now I know I'm taking down a HUGE pot since it's obvious he has the flush...BB calls...

I win, right?!

No, the friggin' BB reveils pockets 8's, top boat, and he friggin' ONLY calls on the river...in a 20/40 game...

I wasn't happy...AT LEAST RAISE ME SO I KNOW I'M NOT GOOD SO I DON'T GET ALL COCKY WHEN I FLIP OVER MY 4'S...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
I was playing 20/40 in Chicago a few months ago and I hate pocket 4's...

I raised under the gun, a guy three bet behind me and the guy in the big blind calls, I call...

Flop is 4 7 8 all clubs...I check, dude who three bets me bets, guy in the BB calls, I call...

Turn comes out a blank, the dude in the BB leads (real weird), so I decide to raise to see where I'm at, guy who three bet me pre-flop THREE BETS (so now I know I'm no good), BB calls and I call praying for the board to pair...

River is a 7, BB checks, I lead to see what the guy behind me does...he calls so now I know I'm taking down a HUGE pot since it's obvious he has the flush...BB calls...

I win, right?!

No, the friggin' BB reveils pockets 8's, top boat, and he friggin' ONLY calls on the river...in a 20/40 game...

I wasn't happy...AT LEAST RAISE ME SO I KNOW I'M NOT GOOD SO I DON'T GET ALL COCKY WHEN I FLIP OVER MY 4'S...

COOLER. At least he saved you $40. You can't yell at him for that. Even had he raised, you would've thought you were good and called. Even if you didn't think you were good, you still would've called. It was dumb on his part, but saved you a bet.

Hootie
07-13-2007, 09:49 AM
COOLER. At least he saved you $40. You can't yell at him for that. Even had he raised, you would've thought you were good and called. Even if you didn't think you were good, you still would've called. It was dumb on his part, but saved you a bet.
I would've put him on 87 if he raised so I would've been pretty irritated...

I was up quite a bit that point so I wasn't really worried about losing another bet, but that hand put me in a daze for an hour because it confused the **** out of me...

I eventually had to get up and leave...so I played some 1-5 stud and called it a night.