PDA

View Full Version : This really steams my buns!

gblowfish
07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Beijing steamed buns include cardboard

Link:
http://tinyurl.com/37p9om

Thu Jul 12, 12:00 PM ET

BEIJING - Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Countless small, often illegally run operations exist across China and make money cutting corners by using inexpensive ingredients or unsavory substitutes. They are almost impossible to regulate.

State TV's undercover investigation features the shirtless, shorts-clad maker of the buns, called baozi, explaining the contents of the product sold in Beijing's sprawling Chaoyang district.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda — a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap — then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

Baby Lee
07-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Know what steams my buns? Reposts.

Eleazar
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Disgraced Chinese food regulator is executed
11 July 2007

When it came, retribution was swift and unyielding - after all, a whole country's food and drugs' exports were at stake.

Zheng Xiaoyu, formerly the man responsible for ensuring the safety of China's foodstuffs and pharmaceuticals, was executed yesterday for corruption.

The Supreme People's Court approved the death sentence for Zheng, 62, the former head of the State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA), for taking kickbacks worth 6.5 million yuan (~$850,000) from drug companies to ensure he would approve medicines that should have been taken off the market.

The execution stands as a warning after a series of health scandals have damaged the "Made in China" brand at home and abroad.

"Zheng Xiaoyu's grave irresponsibility in pharmaceutical safety inspection and failure to carry out conscientiously his duties seriously damaged the interests of the state and people," the court said in a statement. The case went to China's top court under new rules that allow judges there to overrule death sentences from lower courts. The new regulations have seen the number of death sentences in China fall, but this time the court was swift in its decision. "The social impact has been utterly malign," the court said of Zheng's actions, adding that even though he had confessed and returned the bribes, this was not enough to warrant mercy.

Zheng was sentenced on 29 May and his appeal was heard last month. It is the first time such a senior official has been executed since 2000. It was unclear how the sentence was carried out - most executions are by shooting in China, but some lethal injections are used, particularly in high-profile cases.

Beijing is under pressure to do something about consumer safety. Billions of pounds of counterfeit and substandard goods, from fake liquor and medicines to face creams, are produced every year in China and there are frequent horror stories about their use.

Some are pure hysteria: reports that bananas from the southern island of Hainan cause Sars, or that Magician brand instant noodles use oil extracted from human corpses. But there are real horror stories. Hong Kong government chemists last year detected Sudan II industrial dye in salted duck eggs, fed to the birds to make the egg yolks unusually red, a colour which consumers see as a sign of high quality.

China revealed in 2004 that 13 babies had died from malnutrition in Anhui province after being fed fake milk powder. And the China Daily reported that up to half of the water used in coolers in Beijing may not be as pure as manufacturers claim. Chinese food exports are being closely examined for toxins following reports of tainted products in the Dominican Republic and Panama as well as poisons in dog food and toothpaste.

Zheng was head of the State Drug Administration from 1998 to 2003 and was director of the SFDA from May 2003 until he retired in 2005. At the SFDA, he oversaw the implementation of a principle called good manufacturing practice, which required companies to obtain a certificate before being able to register new medicines. But in July last year, six people died after being given a Chinese-made antibiotic.

Yan Jiangying, the SFDA spokeswoman, said the case had brought shame to the watchdog, which needed to reflect on the lessons that could be learnt.

gblowfish
07-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Know what steams my buns? Reposts.
Ahh...so.....

So....sorry missah Baby Lee.....me so sorry....

Wanna steam bun? Tasty pork filling! Yum Yum. You order carry out?

Baby Lee
07-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Ahh...so.....

So....sorry missah Baby Lee.....me so sorry....

Wanna steam bun? Tasty pork filling! Yum Yum. You order carry out?
No!! You're the ahh so!!!

Lzen
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
All this crap and the melamine (used in making plastics and fertilizers) in the pet foods. **** China and their crap foods!!

seclark
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
All this crap and the melamine (used in making plastics and fertilizers) in the pet foods. **** China and their crap foods!!
i saw it on cnn last night.
it did look like some high quality cardboard.
sec

Chief Chief
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Soylent green is cardboard!

DenverChief
07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Well is the terrorists don't get us the friggin chinese food will

GoHuge
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Well it sounds like the Chinese government doesn't mess around. That would be like the head of the FDA being killed for accepting $850,000 worth of kickbacks from pharmacutical companies.

I wonder how many politicians in the US of A would be executed if accepting $850,000 was the benchmark for losing your head. My guy tells me we'd have alot of freshman congressmen.

Frazod
07-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Well it sounds like the Chinese government doesn't mess around. That would be like the head of the FDA being killed for accepting $850,000 worth of kickbacks from pharmacutical companies.

I wonder how many politicians in the US of A would be executed if accepting $850,000 was the benchmark for losing your head. My guy tells me we'd have alot of freshman congressmen.

Works for me. :grr: