PDA

View Full Version : Royals moves

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Nunez up, Gathright down, Sanders back...

07/16/2007 6:18 PM ET
Notes: Nunez takes Thomson's spot
Sanders happy to be back; Gathright optioned to Triple-A
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

Leo Nunez will make his first career start on Tuesday against the Red Sox at Fenway Park. (Charlie Riedel/AP)
Royals Headlines

BOSTON -- The first sign of roster moves came at noon Monday when pitchers Leo Nunez and Neal Musser checked into the Royals' hotel.
The second sign came a couple of hours later in the dugout at Fenway Park where outfielder Reggie Sanders was smiling over the prospect of being activated for the game against Boston.

Shortly thereafter, Sanders was added to the roster and, to make room, outfielder Joey Gathright was optioned to Triple-A Omaha.

Manager Buddy Bell announced that Nunez will start on Tuesday night against the Red Sox, replacing injured John Thomson. He's been placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Musser, just optioned to Triple-A Omaha on Saturday, was recalled to replace Thomson on the roster for Monday night's game. But Bell said the plan is to have Musser leave again Tuesday when Nunez is activated.

"We thought we needed somebody else in the bullpen tonight," Bell said during Monday's early workout at Fenway.

Nunez, a right-hander, pitched in relief for the Royals in the previous two seasons. He appeared in a total of 48 games and had a 3-2 record and a 6.99 ERA.

In Spring Training, he suffered a broken left wrist and started the season on the disabled list. Upon his return, he was transformed into a starter and had a combined 2-1 record and 1.40 ERA for two Minor League clubs.

For Double-A Wichita, Nunez made five starts in six games and was 1-0 with a 0.87 ERA. For Omaha, he was 1-1 with a 2.00 ERA in four games (three starts).

"He's been throwing good. He comes well recommended," Bell said. "He's a competitive little son-of-a-gun."

Nunez came close to being an ex-Royal on June 22. He was traded to the Oakland A's for outfielder Milton Bradley, but the deal was voided because Bradley was injured.

A long wait: Sanders had missed 62 games while recovering from a torn left hamstring. He went on the disabled list May 3.

"It felt like a hundred years," he said, "but Mother Nature will let you know."

Before his injury, he had a .367 average in 16 games with two home runs and six RBIs.

The Royals are expected to test the trade market for Sanders with just 17 days left before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Some clubs, including the Red Sox, could be interested in a veteran outfielder who could help down the stretch.

"That's what I'm hoping," Sanders said.

Sanders recognizes that, at 39, he has no place in the Royals' swing toward youth.

"Is there a purpose for me here, if you look at it?" he said.

Sanders said he had no clue about how the Royals might use him. He was on the bench when Monday night's game began. Bell said he'd try to play Sanders as much as possible.

When optioned, Gathright was batting .315 in 25 games with nine RBIs and five stolen bases. He was the swiftest player on the Royals' roster.

"We all hated to lose Joey. He did a great job for us while he was here," Bell said. "But, at the same time, we're glad to have Reggie back."

Bunts: Thomson, who made two starts for the Royals, isn't quite certain what's wrong with his back. He began feeling pain last Saturday, a day after throwing in practice at Cleveland. "It's a catch in the middle of my back," he said, explaining that the malady comes and goes. ... Former pitcher Curtis Leskanic, popular, witty and offbeat in his Royals years (2003-04), has joined the Red Sox as a pro scouting consultant. His last club was the 2004 World Series champion Red Sox. ... Left-hander Jorge De La Rosa's sore left thumb, which forced him out of Sunday's game, is better and the bruise has faded away. He's not expected to miss his start Saturday night at Detroit. ... To make room for Sanders on the 40-man roster, pitcher Sean Thompson was designated for assignment. ... After setting a club record with strikeouts in 22 straight games, Mark Teahen did not fan Sunday at Cleveland. "When I found out about the record, I decided to stop it right there," he said with a grin.

Royals rundown: Luke Hochevar, the No. 1 Draft pick of 2006, lost his first start for Omaha on Sunday. In five innings, he gave up five runs on five hits including three homers. He had seven strikeouts in a 13-2 loss to Iowa. ... Mike Stodolka (.291) had three hits as Wichita beat Arkansas, 5-3. ... Matthew Morizio's RBI single for Class A Burlington (Iowa) broke a ninth-inning tie in a 7-5 win over Great Lakes. ... David Lough had three hits including his first homer as Rookie Burlington (N.C.) beat Johnson City, 8-2.

Coming up: Nunez makes his first career start for the Royals at 6:05 p.m. CT on Tuesday at Fenway Park. He's matched against Red Sox knuckleballer Tim Wakefield (10-8, 4.47 ERA).

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I hope Reggie is traded for some krispy kremes soon

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2007, 05:50 PM
I hope Reggie is traded for some krispy kremes soon
Yup. We need to give Gaithright all the time he needs this season.

Demonpenz
07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I think we have seen the end of the gathright era

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Yup. We need to give Gaithright all the time he needs this season.
Another dumb Royals move as per the usual. Give a 39 year old back up a spot on the roster and send the fastest guy on the team to the minors. I like Sanders but this is dumb. I would have expected it from Baird, but it surprises me with Moore at the helm.

Demonpenz
07-16-2007, 06:13 PM
We have to give reggie a look for trade bait. gathright has proven how useless speed is in baseball.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-16-2007, 06:14 PM
We have to give reggie a look for trade bait. gathright has proven how useless speed is in baseball.
I understand that thinking... I just doubt he's gonna be worth anything much to anyone at his age.

Demonpenz
07-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Gathright would be a nice 5th or 6th outfielder but everyone plays him around toe the left and so shallow because he presents no threat of any type of extra base hit unless he slices one. give me a run production of someone who can hit 20 homeruns and I will take some speed reduction. the dude even sucks at swiping bags.

CHIEF4EVER
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Gathright needs some more seasoning in the minors. I am not ready to just give up on him. Hopefully he will 'hear the pop' and turn into the player everyone hoped he would be. Leaving him in the majors is counterproductive at this point. Moore made the right move sending him back down for awhile.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
OK fine I'm wrong. I accept it.

Mr. Laz
07-16-2007, 06:34 PM
gathright batting average was better than any other outfielder we have.

PinkFloyd
07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Good fricking lord !!! Send a 20 some year old back down for a 355 year old has-been... :shake:

Cathright should be fuming over this...

PinkFloyd
07-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Trade bait would be the only reason I can think of to get Reggie in the lineup... Maybe thats a good thing after all... Joey does need to learn to get some pop on his bat...

CHIEF4EVER
07-16-2007, 06:43 PM
gathright batting average was better than any other outfielder we have.

Not trying to be contrary, but that is not exactly a bonafide yardstick to measure him with.

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Gaithright will be back as soon as someone gets traded, Sanders or Brown.

wazu
07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
They need more Gathwright, not less.

Pitt Gorilla
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
They need more Gathwright, not less.I’ve got a fever and the only prescription is more Gathwright.

BWillie
07-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Gathright would be a nice 5th or 6th outfielder but everyone plays him around toe the left and so shallow because he presents no threat of any type of extra base hit unless he slices one. give me a run production of someone who can hit 20 homeruns and I will take some speed reduction. the dude even sucks at swiping bags.

He's a better batter than Tony Pena Jr. Gathright had 3 more walks than Tony Pena Jr, while having about 250 less plate appearances. I think Gathright gets a bad wrap. He's a scrappy hitter, it's not pretty, but he gets what he needs to do done. He has always had a very good OBP. Out of everybody on the team with more than 50 at bats, Gathright had THE BEST on base percentage. Actually, he's driving in a decent amount of runs too. I understand it's a small sample size, but nothing he has been doing has been bad. I'll break down the RBI's per at bat..

David DeJesus .088
Mark Teahen .126
Tony Pena Jr. .087
Alex Gordon .095
Mark Gruzalanek .120
Esteban German .118
Emil Brown .177
Mike Sweeney .151
John Buck .148
Ryan Shealy .122
Ross Gload .190
Jason LaRue .094
Billy Butler .171
Joey Gathright .125
Shane Costa .107

Looks like he stacks up pretty good to me. He virtual has the same RBI's per at bat as Teahen, while having to bat towards the back of the order usually. I'm not saying Joey would necessarily sustain these #'s, but nothing he's done warrants being sent down. The Royals hands are kind of tied though, we do need to get some trade value out of Sanders. So either move is ok, but Joey has been doing fine this year. He has the range that Sanders and Emil just can't get to. That saves about an extra base hit a game.

Demonpenz
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
gathright isn't all bad i was just jumping on beer me's case. The only thing I can really say is gathright would look a hell of alot better if we had just one power outfielder as it stands we have no power in the outfield.

BWillie
07-16-2007, 09:21 PM
gathright isn't all bad i was just jumping on beer me's case. The only thing I can really say is gathright would look a hell of alot better if we had just one power outfielder as it stands we have no power in the outfield.

That's easy. Sign Torri Hunter and boot Sanders in the offseason. Make Gathright play the back up utility outfielder. Or something like that.

Hammock Parties
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
That's easy. Sign Torri Hunter and boot Sanders in the offseason. Make Gathright play the back up utility outfielder. Or something like that.

I would love to have Torii Hunter. He plays his ass off, even when hes injured, like last year i think it was. Hes somebody that plays to win, not just for the load of cash like others...

teedubya
07-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Just saying Torii Hunter brings happiness to you. If he were on the Royals, imagine how much glee he would create.

CHENZ A!
07-17-2007, 03:12 AM
I want Gathright to be our leadoff guy/CF, dude's got leather, and I think he's learning to be patient at the plate.

TRADE DEJESUS IF YOU CAN!! DAMMIT DAYTON YOU STUPID ****!! I LOVE YOU

we will have the parade

Mecca
07-17-2007, 04:23 AM
This reminds me of the Soren Petro rant that you don't need to steal bases or be fast to score runs and that DeJesus doesn't need to steal all that..

The best part was when his example was how the Tigers score so many runs without stealing bases.....well when you have a lineup like that you don't have to run. Show me where the Royals have any comparable bats. If you got an awesome raking lineup, you don't have to run.....when you are a team like the Royals you need to try some stuff like that.

Chief Chief
07-17-2007, 04:27 AM
Maybe someone should have informed Teahen about that strike-out record BEFORE he took ownership of it...

shrek6849
07-17-2007, 04:49 AM
Anyone listen to DA early this morning? I've never heard about this kid in the minors that is hitting .320 with 30 homers in about 90 games. He is 27 years old though.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-17-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm changing my mind back. I think I was right all along.

:D