and makin' me sweat

So here I sit
typin in this heat
hoping tomorrow
we'll have it beat.

Buehler445
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
FUNK DAT

The house I'm moving to, the AC is broken. "supposed to be fixed" by the time I moved in. So I bought a portable AC, 10,000 BTU and $400 to make sure I can make it.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 07:57 PM
FUNK DAT

The house I'm moving to, the AC is broken. "supposed to be fixed" by the time I moved in. So I bought a portable AC, 10,000 BTU and $400 to make sure I can make it.

The mrs wanted to go buy a window unit tonight but I'm too pissed,I could've bought 3 or 4 already with what these dipshits are charging me to tell me I dunno.

Man I wished I would've learned something about this stuff.

Smed1065
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
It suks when they are paid to fix it and can't or don't.

FAX
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
At first I thought your poem was funny
Then I realized we're talking money
And now I see it's quite upsetting
'Cause Mrs. Nzoner's boobs are sweating.

FAX

Buehler445
07-16-2007, 08:12 PM
The mrs wanted to go buy a window unit tonight but I'm too pissed,I could've bought 3 or 4 already with what these dipshits are charging me to tell me I dunno.

I figure I can use it if there is a hot spot in my house since it is portable.

OnTheWarpath15
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
It's 110 outside here. If my AC wasn't working, I probably would've shot someone by now.

110 at 7:30pm.....

Damn, that's ridiculous.

What does it get to in the afternoon? 120?

Skip Towne
07-16-2007, 08:35 PM
FUNK DAT

I just bought a 10,500 BTU window unit for $187. Somebody saw you coming.

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:35 PM

It's quite simple really. What do they say they need to fix it?

plbrdude
07-16-2007, 08:37 PM

no work/no pay at least it should work that way.
i find it hard to believe someone would hand you a bill after saying "i'm not sure why it's not working here." mebe it's an ethics thing i don't have a grip on or something

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Do you have a volt meter?

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Will the compressor start? Is the condenser fan running?

kcfanXIII
07-16-2007, 08:42 PM
rep, creative and cool.

sucks about your ac. if it was your pool, i could help, but don't know shiit about HVAC

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
If not, you need to find the open circuit in the system. You have a start cap, a run cap and a start relay. If you have voltage across the thermostat leads, than you have an open/bad thermostat. Check for voltage across any pressure switches and use a multimeter to check the two caps.

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Hook up a set of gauges and check pressures, high/low side. What gas is in it?

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Use the wiring diagram and check voltage across any relays built into the control board.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
If not, you need to find the open circuit in the system. You have a start cap, a run cap and a start relay. If you have voltage across the thermostat leads, than you have an open/bad thermostat. Check for voltage across any pressure switches and use a multimeter to check the two caps.

It's a Hydro-Temp ground souce unit,finally the guy tonight is about 95% sure it's a switch on the control panel,he even called Hydro Temp and did a walk thru with the service manager so hopefully this time tomorrow we're back to normal.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 08:49 PM
no work/no pay at least it should work that way.
i find it hard to believe someone would hand you a bill after saying "i'm not sure why it's not working here." mebe it's an ethics thing i don't have a grip on or something

I haven't paid that comapny yet,if this new company gets it working I'm thinking about putting I DUNNO in big red letters on their bill and sending it back.

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 08:50 PM
It's a Hydro-Temp ground souce unit,finally the guy tonight is about 95% sure it's a switch on the control panel,he even called Hydro Temp and did a walk thru with the service manager so hopefully this time tomorrow we're back to normal.

For now, jump the switch.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
For now, jump the switch.

Dude you're talking to a salesman here,I know nothing about it,except that if I power it back up it'll blow cold for maybe an hour or so and then nothing.I can make it one more night especially now that we put an inflatable bed down in the warehouse on the other side of the building where the smaller unit of the two is located and working.

plbrdude
07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
I haven't paid that comapny yet,if this new company gets it working I'm thinking about putting I DUNNO in big red letters on their bill and sending it back.

:thumb: :thumb:

Skip Towne
07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I wouldn' t pay anybody to tell me they couldn't fix it. Only doctors get away with that.

DeezNutz
07-16-2007, 09:02 PM
At first I thought your poem was funny
Then I realized we're talking money
And now I see it's quite upsetting
'Cause Mrs. Nzoner's boobs are sweating.

FAX

Well played, Mr. Fax. :clap:

OldTownChief
07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
I wouldn' t pay anybody to tell me they couldn't fix it. Only doctors get away with that.

Customers ask us for free quotes all the time, cost $97.50 just for us to come look at it, but they ALL can be fixed. It's just a matter of how much is it worth to them to have it fixed.

I can't see how a qualified HVAC tech. wouldn't know how to fix it, he should be fired.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Customers ask us for free quotes all the time, cost $97.50 just for us to come look at it, but they ALL can be fixed. It's just a matter of how much is it worth to them to have it fixed.

I can't see how a qualified HVAC tech. wouldn't know how to fix it, he should be fired.

One dude was here 3 and 1/2 hours and when I asked him what he thought he said I dunno,good focking answer.

plbrdude
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM

mr.oldtown, what end of the hvac buisiness are you in.if you are in the kc area i'd like to hit you up on the rates around there.

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
if you are in the kc area i'd like to hit you up on the rates around there.

Our good friend Kevin is in Wichita,if you'd come to a bash sometime you'd know such things.

Just flippin ya shit.

plbrdude
07-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Our good friend Kevin is in Wichita,if you'd come to a bash sometime you'd know such things.

Just flippin ya shit.

it's hard to get away from the mound up here

DaFace
07-16-2007, 09:36 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the window-unit AC in my current apartment isn't man enough to cool the place down, and the circulation sucks so I can't cool it from the outside. My thermometer says it's currently 91 in here. :(

Nzoner
07-16-2007, 09:39 PM
If it makes you feel any better, the window-unit AC in my current apartment isn't man enough to cool the place down, and the circulation sucks so I can't cool it from the outside. My thermometer says it's currently 91 in here. :(

That sucks,at least I've got a great ceiling fan in my computer room,if not I wouldn't be on here killing time.

DaFace
07-16-2007, 09:40 PM
That sucks,at least I've got a great ceiling fan in my computer room,if not I wouldn't be on here killing time.

Yeah, we're on the third story. Otherwise it wouldn't be so bad.

We're moving in two weeks, though. PBJ

Buehler445
07-17-2007, 06:46 AM
I just bought a 10,500 BTU window unit for $187. Somebody saw you coming.

Mine is portable. On wheels. I dont have to put it in a window. One pays for convenience.

Skip Towne
07-17-2007, 07:28 AM
Mine is portable. On wheels. I dont have to put it in a window. One pays for convenience.
Where does it expel the hot air? Where does the dripping water go?

cdcox
07-17-2007, 08:02 AM

I wondered the same thing. Apparently the heat from the room works to evaporate the condensate. Seems like it would be difficult to balance, but apparently they have pulled it off. For example:

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ACP-1000H.htm

cdcox
07-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Interestingly, on google toobar if you type in "portable" the first suggestion is "portable air conditioner" which indicates their present popularity.

StcChief
07-17-2007, 08:41 AM
One dude was here 3 and 1/2 hours and when I asked him what he thought he said I dunno,good focking answer.
guys like that don't get paid. 3.5 hrs no clue? HVAC license / training?

Call Better Business bureu. if the do anything.

IT isn't worth their business to get bad rep.

cdcox
07-17-2007, 09:08 AM
I've got an old heat pump unit that has some issue or another every couple of years. Luckily I have a friend who is a mechanical genius (automotive, HVAC, electrical, electronics, you name it he can fix it). Last summer he did over a thousand $ worth of work on the system replacing the reversing valve, several capacitors, indoor fan unit, and thermostat. It was a gamble on my part, since our whole system is getting old.

Sure enough, the unit breaks down again earlier this summer. His job is several hundred miles away, so he lives in the city he works at during the week and comes back to home for the weekend. Any way, I call him at his work city, and he helps me trouble shoot the unit over the phone. I find the problem (a bad start capacitor) and a week later, I'm back in business for $30.

The last time I had a HVAC contractor out at the house was about 8 years ago before I met my friend. He told me I had a bad compressor. I asked him to show me the instrument reading that lead to his conclusion. He tried to fake an open-circuit on the compressor coils, but when I tried the measurement myself, it looked fine. Turned out all I needed was a capacitor. I'm still running on that compressor that he wanted to replace. Dang crook.

Buehler445
07-17-2007, 09:16 AM

Its got a collection tray for the condensation, and a extendable exhaust duct so you can stick it out a window (I assume, I haven't tried to install it yet).

The reason I bought it was this: I'm getting ready to move into a house in which the AC is broken. I fully expect the landlord not to have it fixed by the time I move in, so I can use this unit, until my main one gets fixed, and then move it to another room, probably the basement, when needed. To me it was worth the dough, so I don't have to spend a week sweltering while they fix my unit, or install another. And I will have a unit in the basement when it is done.

Buehler445
07-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7628686&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat72000050022&id=1130986343106

Nzoner
07-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks like I'm waiting yet another day,apparently it's some kind of valve and the one it takes wasn't available locally so it's being shipped overnight. :banghead:

luv
07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
The AC is out in my car. That's bad enough.

Nzoner
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Unfocking believeable,over $3000 in and my system is still not operating properly :deevee:

I'm about ready to tell these guys if you wanna screw me at least let me drop my pants first.

It will be fixed by the bash if I have to break down and get a new one!

KurtCobain
08-13-2007, 01:20 PM
i gots me no ac

morphius
08-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Luckily you don't live in a metal hous... oh man, I'm sorry.

Nzoner
08-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Luckily you don't live in a metal hous... oh man, I'm sorry.

Yeah the gameroom at one time got to 98 degrees,want to hear the real kicker,now my Yukon AC is on the blink,they want a grand to fix it.
:banghead:

big nasty kcnut
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
My dad have the no ac in the car blues.

Saulbadguy
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Unfocking believeable,over $3000 in and my system is still not operating properly :deevee:

I'm about ready to tell these guys if you wanna screw me at least let me drop my pants first.

Unreal. Nearly a month.

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Jeezus Joe, is Air Conditioning "rocket science" in Missouri? :D

Sorry, just couldn't help it, sorry about your plight and hope it gets remedied real soon.

HemiEd
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah the gameroom at one time got to 98 degrees,want to hear the real kicker,now my Yukon AC is on the blink,they want a grand to fix it.

Evaporator? I had one in Durango go out a couple years ago, $1100. What a pain in the ass, they pretty much have to pull the dash, well they do have to pull the dash.

luv
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
My dad have the no ac in the car blues.
Currently dealing with that myself. Damn, it's hot out there.

R&GHomer
08-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow dude; that sucks hard. I hope they get it fixed quick. Damn and I hate going outside to smoke... sheesh.

morphius
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow! That sounds miserable.

Here is one solution for your yukon :D
http://www.mtechxp.net/main/texas-man-rigs-car-with-household-air-conditioner

KC Dan
08-13-2007, 01:37 PM
This is our weather here & it's nice. But, I will be there on Thursday and NOT looking forward to that heat pain.

R&GHomer
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
My AC went out in my Contour and I wasn't going another summer without ac so I got a new car. 1,200 to fix the ac in a 96 Contour just isn't worth it.

I was stuck in traffic on 135 one time for over an hour and a half with no ac. Middle of July, dead stand still, no breeze and in between to shiny ass semi trucks. I actually thought I might die. That was a really bad day.

Edit:
LOL… now that I think about it, those weren’t just shiny ass semi trucks! They were those polished aluminum bastards. Two of them on either side of me blaring down hell fire on my ass. Thought I was going to melt in my own goo!

Planetman
08-13-2007, 02:32 PM
This is our weather here & it's nice. But, I will be there on Thursday and NOT looking forward to that heat pain.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=71933&stc=1
:cuss:
http://images.ibsys.com/2007/0812/13874436_320X240.jpg

DaFace
08-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Thankfully, I moved away from my oven of an apartment and am now in a new place with central A/C. It's not the best, but it at least keeps the place under 80 most of the time.

luv
08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
My AC went out in my Contour and I wasn't going another summer without ac so I got a new car. 1,200 to fix the ac in a 96 Contour just isn't worth it.

I was stuck in traffic on 135 one time for over an hour and a half with no ac. Middle of July, dead stand still, no breeze and in between to shiny ass semi trucks. I actually thought I might die. That was a really bad day.

Edit:
LOL… now that I think about it, those weren’t just shiny ass semi trucks! They were those polished aluminum bastards. Two of them on either side of me blaring down hell fire on my ass. Thought I was going to melt in my own goo!
Holy shite, batman. I drive a 2000 Contour. What was wrong with it? Mine isn't blowing cold air, plus my engine revs really bad when I have it on. After it revs, it acts like it wants to die on me. A friend of mine thought it might be the compressor. I do not want to get a new car. I just got this one paid off!

Stewie
08-13-2007, 03:10 PM

$3000 should have bought a new A/C unit installed. Is any of this under warranty?

Nzoner
08-13-2007, 03:43 PM
$3000 should have bought a new A/C unit installed. Is any of this under warranty?

This is a ground source heat pump,total with two units installed was a little over $40,000 but I'll tell you up until now it was the best damn system I'd ever had.

Stewie
08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
This is a ground source heat pump,total with two units installed was a little over $40,000 but I'll tell you up until now it was the best damn system I'd ever had.

Ah, I've always wondered about those systems. What's the payback on a unit like that? $40K buys elec/gas for my system for... well, decades.

Nzoner
08-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Ah, I've always wondered about those systems. What's the payback on a unit like that? $40K buys elec/gas for my system for... well, decades.

11,500 sq ft building,all electric,2 units,and up until these recent problems never had a total bill over $400.

And that includes all the times there's entertaining going on in the gameroom with the door open shut open shut

StcChief
08-13-2007, 04:32 PM
11,500 sq ft building,all electric,2 units,and up until these recent problems never had a total bill over $400.

And that includes all the times there's entertaining going on in the gameroom with the door open shut open shut
Buddy has one in 5000 sq ft house. $20K
Keeps it at 72 bill $100 month. ROI based on current electric costs is 10 years. over conv heat pump. No GAS.

BigMeatballDave
08-13-2007, 05:46 PM
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer is playing in my head as I read this...

Nzoner
05-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Our place got warm
A few weeks ago
So I hit the AC
To see if it would blow

It came right on
I had no care
Until the damn thing
Started blowing hot air

Unfockingbelieveable,at least I have a guy that I trust and he's been in contact with Hydro-Temp service but it doesn't negate the fact that this system has been all but a pain in the ass for 2 years.

luv
05-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Our place got warm
A few weeks ago
So I hit the AC
To see if it would blow

It came right on
I had no care
Until the damn thing
Started blowing hot air

Unfockingbelieveable,at least I have a guy that I trust and he's been in contact with Hydro-Temp service but it doesn't negate the fact that this system has been all but a pain in the ass for 2 years.

Still?

Nzoner
05-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Still?

still :#

Skip Towne
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
You know what I like best about these old threads? RoR isn't in them.

DenverChief
05-13-2009, 03:26 PM

I would have just bought a completely different system...and tried to claim it on homeowners

bevischief
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer is playing in my head as I read this...

:BLVD::toast:

Skip Towne
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
You big wuss. We didn't even have air conditioning until I was 10.

Buehler445
05-13-2009, 06:08 PM
You big wuss. We didn't even have air conditioning until I was 10.

My wife didn't until she was in Middle School (she's 23).

Her dad has you beat by a good 75 years :D

HEY HEY HEY! Calm down! That's the first old joke I've made in like 3 months.

Buehler445
05-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Burn the house down.

Except save the "crystal" plunger. That's CP lore.

Nzoner
05-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Burn the house down.

Except save the "crystal" plunger. That's CP lore.

Get ready for this,the guy left a couple of hours ago,one zone working real good ,one zone zilch,the zone that's working real good is now below it's set point and still blowing and it's getting quite cold on that side :deevee: