PDA

View Full Version : Military: Troops Landing In Prison Was Mistake

Donger
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/13694604/detail.html

CANON CITY, Colo. -- Military officials said 25 heavily armed parachutists who landed in a cornfield on the grounds of a Colorado prison last week were on a training mission but some 3 miles off target.

"Those were Special Operations Command forces conducting routine training," Army Col. Hans Bush, a spokesman for the command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., said Monday. He declined to identify the units that landed at Fremont Correctional Facility but said the target was Fremont County Airport.

The special operations troops, which could include Navy Seals or Green Berets, began dropping from the sky at about 4:50 a.m. Thursday. Guards on duty, who are trained to watch the skies following a helicopter escape in 1989 from a prison near Ordway, Colo., held their fire after noticing the parachutists were soldiers.

Guards who stopped the men and asked for identification were presented with documents that identified them only as Defense Department employees, Colorado Department of Corrections spokeswoman Katherine Sanguinetti.

"We don't know who they were and I'm not sure we'll ever know who they were," she said. "Everyone acted appropriately."

The parachute troops were armed only with rubber training bullets and would have been outgunned if shooting erupted.

"The good news is everyone was able to quickly assess the situation," Bush said.

"We train and practice here in the U.S. so we can work through things like this," Bush said.

The Fremont Correctional Facility is a mixed custody facility that houses inmates classified from minimum to administrative segregation. It houses 1,471 inmates and employs about 450 people.

Radar Chief
07-17-2007, 08:15 AM
"Oops" doesn't quite cover it.

Redrum_69
07-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Is Canon City's high school mascot...Wolverines?

Amnorix
07-17-2007, 08:53 AM
The parachute troops were armed only with rubber training bullets and would have been outgunned if shooting erupted.

Three thoughts:

1. Oops indeed.

2. Good job by everyone to keep their heads, this could've been tragic.

3. "outgunned" or not, my money would've been on the special forces guys to win that engagement.

Pennywise
07-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds like someone gave the green light a wee bit early.

I jumped into JRTC (FT. Polk, LA) in '98 and one of the jumpmasters in another aircraft was doing his door check and fell out of the bird and landed in downtown Alexandria.

pikesome
07-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Landing in a fenced compound surrounded with trained snipers in watchtowers? Mine wouldn’t have been.
I know Special Forces are some bad Moe Fuggers, but they’re still human.

COs aren't, exactly, the cream of the crop of the law enforcement community. I still wouldn't bet the house on the soldiers but training, experience and tactics go pretty far in leveling the playing field.

Radar Chief
07-17-2007, 09:28 AM
COs aren't, exactly, the cream of the crop of the law enforcement community. I still wouldn't bet the house on the soldiers but training, experience and tactics go pretty far in leveling the playing field.

That and they landed in a cornfield next to the prison, not in the middle of the compound. Big difference since I assume the former allows for an escape rout.
That’s why I deleted that post, I didn’t read close enough.

R&GHomer
07-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Sounds like someone gave the green light a wee bit early.

I jumped into JRTC (FT. Polk, LA) in '98 and one of the jumpmasters in another aircraft was doing his door check and fell out of the bird and landed in downtown Alexandria.

ROFL That would suck! I was stationed at ft puke. God I hated that shit hole. Got arrested one time for telling a leesville cop he didn't deserve an Air-conditioned squad car, he oughta be on horse back :) A holes can't even take a joke.