PDA

View Full Version : This actually sounds like a good time...

The Franchise
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289643,00.html

Assassins Terrorize the Willing on Streets of Chicago
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This week, on the streets of Chicago, a shadowy group of "assassins" is on the loose.

But don’t panic. They’re stalking each other not with actual weapons but with water guns — and it’s all a big game.

StreetWars, as the wet multi-city spree is called, was created by New York securities attorney Franz Aliquo — and though it has police in Chicago worried, it began there on Monday as planned, so far with no arrests.

Around 100 participants, called agents or assassins, paid about $40 for the chance to be given profiles and photographs of other players they then have to hunt down in Chicago over a three-week period.

They set to work tracking down their victims and ultimately going in for the “kill” — a nice, healthy squirt of H2O from a plastic pistol or a water balloon. Think paintball, with water instead of paint and in cities instead of woods.

The game continues until there’s only one agent left.

"We’ve all had the dream and desire to kind of be our own James Bond, and this was a good opportunity to try that out," Aliquo told MyFOXChicago.com.

There are rules: No shooting in bars, workplaces, buses, subways or el trains. Restaurants, stores and streets are all approved hunting grounds.

Aliquo, who calls himself the Supreme Commander of the Shadow Government, created StreetWars three years ago, in spite of what he characterized as New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s efforts to shut it down.

"Mike Bloomberg, the mayor of New York, called me insane," he told MyFOXChicago.

The game has since been staged in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Vienna — and now, Chicago. Next up: London again, Toronto and Paris.

Chicago police warn that StreetWars is a risky business in this post-9/11 world, calling it “irresponsible” and saying it “infringes on the public’s safety.”

So far, however, no one has been seriously injured — one person sprained an ankle once, according to the Supreme Commander — and no one in any city has succeeded in stopping the StreetWars assassins in their tracks.

http://streetwars.net/

tooge
07-17-2007, 02:59 PM
We need this in KC. I'd do it. sounds pretty cool. Wasn't there a cheesy movie in the 80's about a tag type of game (may have been called tag) where they used suction dart guns and some guy used a real gun?

Lzen
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Fun. I wouldn't mind doing something like that. Of course, in this day and age someone could pull out a real gun and shoot them. Especially in a city like Chicago.

QuikSsurfer
07-17-2007, 03:04 PM
we used to do that every summer in Oxford.. called it "water-tag".. too much fun
you were given a name and that's it. it was ur job to find info about the person and where they lived/hung out.. i could usually find my targets' info on myspace, facebook, or by bribing a friend.
i was never the last one standing.. got taken out in a few drive bys

Ultra Peanut
07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Awesome.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Fun. I wouldn't mind doing something like that. Of course, in this day and age someone could pull out a real gun and shoot them. Especially in a city like Chicago.
... or Witchita

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Man that sounds FUN.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
$50 entry fee.

Stinger
07-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Wasn't there a cheesy movie in the 80's about a tag type of game (may have been called tag) where they used suction dart guns and some guy used a real gun?

I thought of the same thing. Early Anthony Edwards ..... Gotcha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Other/gotcha.jpg

ROFL

Adept Havelock
07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
We need this in KC. I'd do it. sounds pretty cool. Wasn't there a cheesy movie in the 80's about a tag type of game (may have been called tag) where they used suction dart guns and some guy used a real gun?

I remember a very cheesy Anthony Edwards "thriller" called Gotcha, where he was a TAG-playing college kid who ended up in East Berlin and caught up in real espionage. Is that it?

edit-oops. :banghead:

That poster is a great riff on "The Graduates" signature scene.

Skip Towne
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
... or Witchita
Yeah especially Witchita. Too many low IQ types like Chiefaroo there.

Adept Havelock
07-17-2007, 03:57 PM

I'd think that would be balanced out by Gaz's presence. :shrug:

Rain Man
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
This was a fad on college campuses for a short while in the 80's.

It sounds fun, but as has been mentioned, I think there's a chance in this day and age of a policeman nailing you when you pull out a gun in public. Not a good idea overall.

I think a much better idea would be to do it without the guns. For example, the assassin has to mark your hand with a magic marker. Much less chance of someone getting killed by a good samaritan.

Skip Towne
07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
I'd think that would be balanced out by Gaz's presence. :shrug:
Gaz lives in Derby. I've been to his house.

HemiEd
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
... or Witchita

Where is this Witchita you speak of? never heard of it.

HemiEd
07-17-2007, 05:57 PM

Further evidence why you flunked out of WU in one semester, you don't even know how to spell Wichita.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 05:58 PM
I think a much better idea would be to do it without the guns. For example, the assassin has to mark your hand with a magic marker. Much less chance of someone getting killed by a good samaritan.

If I was going to play, I'd try to nail someone in an area with a minimum of people. Just good common sense. If you go into a restaurant and approach their table with a gun-like object drawn and pointed, some undercover cop is going to pop a cap in your ass.

Best idea - hide in their garage.

Simplex3
07-17-2007, 06:04 PM
You get their home and work addresses? Lame.

Rain Man
07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Where is this Witchita you speak of? never heard of it.

I believe that it's a rural village in Mexico where flying objects have recently been sighted.

Rain Man
07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
If I was going to play, I'd try to nail someone in an area with a minimum of people. Just good common sense. If you go into a restaurant and approach their table with a gun-like object drawn and pointed, some undercover cop is going to pop a cap in your ass.

Best idea - hide in their garage.

Isn't that kind of, you know, a real crime?

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Isn't that kind of, you know, a real crime?

They knew what they were signing up for.

Simplex3
07-17-2007, 06:14 PM
So what happens if it rains? Is everyone dead?

QuikSsurfer
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
So what happens if it rains? Is everyone dead?
not quite... u can find shelter

i got the address to one of my targets' and borrowed my roommates domino's pizza warmer to put my water gun in... knocked on the door.. when she told me she didn't order a pizza but needed to check w/her roomies, i kicked the door in a pulled out my piece and blasted her. she didn't tell her boyfriend that she was playing this game and he got a lil rowdy. i soaked him and ran.. must've run all day

HemiEd
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I believe that it's a rural village in Mexico where flying objects have recently been sighted.

ROFL Chicken Soup is their basic industry.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 07:27 PM
This is awesome.

My kill story went something like this...

I waited for nearly three hours in a bus stop on La Salle St. Monday with a clear view of Mustard's work exit. It was a sweat box that I questioned would pay off as 4pm ticked by, then 5. But knowing some people cower in fear or work late, I waited.

I didn't really have the option of going home anyway, as I received word my assassin, in all his conspicuous glory, was waiting for me, rather obviously, parked in front of my house and lurking around.

At 6pm a head popped out of the door, smartly looked both ways, and then was off, in the opposite direction. Mustard checked behind him often, and so began a cat-and-mouse game of three blocks, and for once I was happy that there is so much road construction in Chicago (such big signs, son!) When I knew I had no roadside cover left, and had narrowed the field to about 20 yards, I broke into a sprint, gun blazing. Mustard heard my footsteps, fumbled for a draw, but it was too late. "Take that motha****a!"

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice.

If there were one thing I felt the need to be proud of tonight, it is the successful application of an age-old trick. You see, within Target's apartment building, near his Unit's door, I found myself a little nook where the garbage chute rests. I had a wonderful view of Target's door and of the elevator which would likely bring him to the proper level, but there was one problem: if I focused my attention forward, towards his door and the lift, I would completely leave myself open to a discrete attack from behind, where the "Fire Exit" stairs rested. Certainly, under normal circumstances, no one uses these stairs, but StreetWars provide no normal circumstances.

Thanks to inspiration that must go back many generations, I found in my pocket a quarter, which I was able to balance very carefully on top of the stairwell doorknob, above the tile floor. This allowed me to keep my attention tuned towards the default entrance, but immediately alerted me to any stairwell movement.

Since tonight's full moon bestowed upon me the greatest luck, my Target did not only choose to arrive via my booby-trapped stairwell...his drunkenness forced him to waste his time and attention *picking up the dropped quarter*. In an instant, I fell upon him, both guns blazing. He did return fire, but far, far too late to change his fate.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Excellent video:

<embed src="http://www.current.tv/studio/vm2/vm2.swf" flashvars="videoType=preview&videoID=9462" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="360" width="335"></embed>

cdcox
07-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Sometimes they put acid in their squirt guns...

or so I've heard.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Sometimes they put acid in their squirt guns...

or so I've heard.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2334/20010727hpp7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

bringbackmarty
07-17-2007, 09:13 PM