PDA

View Full Version : Snakes R Spooky

FAX
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
And I just saw one about 4 feet in length.

It was either black or a very dark brown with a light brown crosshatch pattern down its length. It wasn't like any sort of garter snake, or a black snake, or hognose, or raider fan penis (not that I've seen one of those either). Also, it did not appear to be threatening and had no rattles or try to bite or hiss or anything. It was just peacefully making its way across my lawn. Perhaps seeking a cat or free range chicken or lost ostrich, I don't know. No attempt at capture was made.

After seeing it, I googled up a lot of stuff (I searched the internet, also) and haven't come up with any particular snake that looks like this one. Some of the king snake species look similar, but not exact, so I don't think it was one of those.

Anyhow, I know that many Planeteers have had lots of experience with snakes and I was just wondering if this description is at all familiar to any of you. Thanks in advance.

Go snakes!

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if re-post.

seclark
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
i can't help you, but if you want to get rid of it:
face the south
close your eyes
say "pennywise" 3times
sec

KCChiefsMan
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
After watching Man vs Wild and Survivor I wouldn't mind trying snake. Those guys seem to enjoy it, but they were starving at the time

Mile High Mania
07-18-2007, 02:53 PM
Any of these look familiar?

http://nashville.about.com/library/graphics/snakes/Pigmy.jpg

http://www.neoperceptions.com/herps/usherps/snakes/images/blacking.jpg

http://secw.bravepages.com/Chuck/scr/chuck_tailing_largerattler.JPG

penguinz
07-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a black mamba to me. Just leave it alone and you will be fine. Don;t be a pussy and kill it.

FAX
07-18-2007, 02:56 PM
The crosshatch pattern on the top one is similar in a way, Mr. Mile High Mania, but not exact.

This snake was black and the crosshatch pattern was light brown and sort of spaced out along its body.

pennywise, pennywise, pennywise

FAX

Adept Havelock
07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Was a trashy Christina Ricci to be found nearby?

Hydrae
07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
The crosshatch pattern on the top one is similar in a way, Mr. Mile High Mania, but not exact.

This snake was black and the crosshatch pattern was light brown and sort of spaced out along its body.

FAX

You called?

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/it-pennywise-howling.jpg

FAX
07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Sounds like a black mamba to me. Just leave it alone and you will be fine. Don;t be a pussy and kill it.

I have no intention of killing it. I have nothing against snakes, Mr. penguinz. I actually prefer them to people who refer to others as pussies.

In fact, I have been ranting about the giant rattler some knucklehead killed in the desert or wherever it was. That animal was probably close to 80 years old and now it's going to be somebody's waistcoat.

FAX

greg63
07-18-2007, 02:59 PM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/UW/UW25100.pdf

:shrug:

seclark
07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
I have no intention of killing it.

FAX
if you don't want to kill it, quit saying "pennywise" 3times.
sec

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Just looked up black mamba. Negative.

FAX

penguinz
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a kingsnake to me. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/farmerdave/snake2.jpg They are harmless.

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/UW/UW25100.pdf

:shrug:

Hmmm. Similar to the juvenile Southern Black Racer, Mr. greg63. But still not exact. Crosshatch instead of little strips.

FAX

penguinz
I have no intention of killing it. I have nothing against snakes, Mr. penguinz. I actually prefer them to people who refer to others as pussies.

In fact, I have been ranting about the giant rattler some knucklehead killed in the desert or wherever it was. That animal was probably close to 80 years old and now it's going to be somebody's waistcoat.

FAXI just read that and it does not read the way i meant it. I meant don't be a pussy by killing it. There is almost no reason a snake should ever be killed unless it is a direct threat. Otherwise it will do more good than harm if it is living.

Jilly
You called?

YOU JACK ASS.... F______!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimNasium
http://www.ecosafari.com/graphics/pagePics/Drive/large/Water_Moccasin.jpg

seclark
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
my grandfather used to keep black snakes in his barn to kill rodents and poisonous snakes. some of them got to be 5'.
we'd catch them and take them around to scare people. then grampa would kick our asses and make us put the snakes back and leave them alone.
good times.
sec

Mile High Mania
07-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Black snake?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/images/1152319142

JimNasium
07-18-2007, 03:05 PM
:eek: http://www.chrisdixonstudios.com/cdsgallery/images/19_2_Moccasin_Cottonmouth_Snake.jpg

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
At first, I thought it was a kingsnake variant too, Mr. penguinz, but I've googled up tons of pictures and they're close but not spot on. Or striped on, or whatever.

nickledumb, nickledumb, nickledumb

FAX

Mile High Mania
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Nasium, that is one evil looking bastard.

penguinz
07-18-2007, 03:08 PM
At first, I thought it was a kingsnake variant too, Mr. penguinz, but I've googled up tons of pictures and they're close but not spot on. Or striped on, or whatever.

FAXWhy don;t you make it easier for us to identify and go catch it and take a picture.

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
The black snake you posted looks close, Mr. Mile High Mania, but his head had light brown or gold highlights and he had sort of a herring bone pattern instead of stripes.

He was actually a really cool looking snake.

FAX

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Why don;t you make it easier for us to identify and go catch it and take a picture.

The snake is gone now and I didn't have a camera with me at the time. I wish I had, but I generally don't carry one when I check the mail.

I understand your frustration and this may well be difficult for you, Mr. penguinz, but consider my position. There's an unidentifiable snake in my friggin' neighborhood.

FAX

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Hmmm. Similar to the juvenile Southern Black Racer, Mr. greg63. But still not exact. Crosshatch instead of little strips.

FAX

Is it where you can get a photo of it?

penguinz
07-18-2007, 03:13 PM
The snake is gone now and I didn't have a camera with me at the time. I wish I had, but I generally don't carry one when I check the mail.

I understand your frustration and this may well be difficult for you, Mr. penguinz, but consider my position. There's an unidentifiable snake in my friggin' neighborhood.

FAXHave you thought about calling in the Navy Seals or Green Berets?

Mile High Mania
07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Have you thought about calling in the Navy Seals or Green Berets?

This is a job for... RAMBO.

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Is it where you can get a photo of it?

Nope. He left, Mr. greg63. I just checked.

I suppose I can go on a snake hunt, but frankly I'm not certain that's best because the snake is probably under my neighbor's house by now and he's an attorney.

If he caught me under his house with a dim flashlight, a gunny sack, and a 3 wood, I'm not sure he'd understand.

FAX

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I came accrossed this which is just wrong. IMO

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Looks like what's left of the 1-800 snake help center.

FAX

StcChief

I suppose I can go on a snake hunt, but frankly I'm not certain that's best because the snake is probably under my neighbor's house by now and he's an attorney.

If he caught me under his house with a dim flashlight, a gunny sack, and a 3 wood, I'm not sure he'd understand.

FAX

AT THE Atty's house perfect place for him. One snake deserves another. :)

penguinz
I came accrossed this which is just wrong. IMOThe child is more than likely in no harms way. Many of the snake charmers either sew the mouths shut or remove the fangs.

:hmmm: maybe we can start another animal cruelty thread?

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:21 PM

FAX

Yeah, I don't think I would risk it, but then again I believe the only safe distance from a snake is one that places me out of viewing distance of it.

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:22 PM
AT THE Atty's house perfect place for him. One snake deserves another. :)

LMAO

Jilly
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
just grab a garden hoe and chop his head off...

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:23 PM
The child is more than likely in no harms way. Many of the snake charmers either sew the mouths shut or remove the fangs.

:hmmm: maybe we can start another animal cruelty thread?

:hmmm: I did not know that.

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM

...Depends on how much she charges.

Bill Lundberg
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I came accrossed this which is just wrong. IMO

If you think thats wrong check this out..

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dZFFlw5z6g"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-dZFFlw5z6g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM

He wasn't threatening or anything, Ms. Jilly. Just mosying along on his snake belly. The thing that got me was I almost stepped on him. All he did was raise his head up. He didn't even try and slither away fast or anything when he saw me.

Maybe he just finished getting rid of his old skin or something. That might explain his sluggishness and the fact he's so difficult to identify.

FAX

bogie
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Next time, just kill it. It's likely poisonous and created by satan. Take a shovel, and cut it's head off. The world will be a much better place without it. Snakes are the devil in scaly skin.

Jilly
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
He wasn't threatening or anything, Ms. Jilly. Just mosying along on his snake belly. The thing that got me was I almost stepped on him. All he did was raise his head up. He didn't even try and slither away fast or anything when he saw me.

Maybe he just finished getting rid of his old skin or something. That might explain his sluggishness and the fact he's so difficult to identify.

FAX

Poor snake.... just pick him up and throw him outside.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2007, 03:28 PM

Good gawd...

Simply Red
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Saw one in the meadow across the street from my house. It was solid black w/ single white rings. Like the one you saw about 4' in length.

Turns out it was a rat-snake. They kill copperheads. So i'm told.

trndobrd
07-18-2007, 03:33 PM

It was either black or a very dark brown with a light brown crosshatch pattern down its length. It wasn't like any sort of garter snake, or a black snake, or hognose, or raider fan penis (not that I've seen one of those either). Also, it did not appear to be threatening and had no rattles or try to bite or hiss or anything. It was just peacefully making its way across my lawn. Perhaps seeking a cat or free range chicken or lost ostrich, I don't know. No attempt at capture was made.

Sounds like a Western Cornback Rattler.

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Interesting, Mr. Simply Red. I told mine to get the heck out of here in parseltongue and he just looked at me like I was nuts or something. Stupid snake.

FAX

Simply Red
07-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Interesting, Mr. Simply Red. I told mine to get the heck out of here in parseltongue and he just looked at me like I was nuts or something. Stupid snake.

FAX
*smiling*

greg63
07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Good gawd...
...Took the words right out of my mouth.

Simply Red
07-18-2007, 03:40 PM

FAX
Side Note: Question, when a poster has a username beginning with "Mr."
and you refer to them as "Mr, Mr. Kotter" are you offering more respect to them? *shrug* or exercising uniformity. Or, well; a little of both?

FAX
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Side Note: Question, when a poster has a username beginning with "Mr."
and you refer to them as "Mr, Mr. Kotter" are you offering more respect to them? *shrug* or exercising uniformity. Or, well; a little of both?

Um. Generally speaking, and in the interest of good form, I add the pre-nominal Mr. to all the Planeteers' usernames, Mr. Simply Red. Unless they are a female, or Ms. Taco John. So, Mr. Mr. Potatohead would be correct.

The only exception I can think of at this moment is that AutumnWind dick. I see no reason to be respectful to him.

FAX

cdcox
07-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Obviously a Videoshop.

Rooster
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Perhaps it was an unusually long centipede with unusually short legs.

Skip Towne
07-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Did the snake have slanted eyeslits? Poisonous snakes have slanted eyeslits I have been told. I usually don't hang around long enough to confirm this however.

PinkFloyd
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Did the snake have slanted eyeslits? Poisonous snakes have slanted eyeslits I have been told. I usually don't hang around long enough to confirm this however.

Wanna go rattlesnake hunting ??? I know where there's about 75 of them right now !!!

"Bob" Dobbs
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I was bit by a water moccasin about 10 years ago. It was a sucky time. I now stay away from ALL snakes. MUCH better safe than sorry.

FAX
07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

I've heard the same thing, Mr. Skip Towne. But, if he had slanty eyes, I didn't notice. He was, however, carrying a tiny little digital camera.

FAX

PinkFloyd
07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I've heard the same thing, Mr. Skip Towne. But, if he had slanty eyes, I didn't notice. He was, however, carrying a tiny little digital camera.

FAX

ROFL ROFL

FAX
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
This reminds me.

My son and I were outside doing some work on the lawn one fine day and the wacky redneck family (he's some kind of studio engineer) who moved in down the street found a snake in their yard and killed it.

After they dispatched it, the dad and some friend of his spent the next 30 minutes trying to throw the snake up into the air so it would land on an electric wire. They finally accomplished this dubious feat and the snake just hung there forever. But, I never could figure out why they did it. Was it a warning to other snakes? A totem expressing their manhood? Just completely nuts?

Anyone else do this?

FAX

ChiTown
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Anyone else do this?

FAX

Whenever I get the opportunity.........

FAX
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Whenever I get the opportunity.........

Okay. Can you tell me why, Mr. ChiTown? What's the idea here?

FAX

trndobrd
07-19-2007, 10:38 AM
This reminds me.

My son and I were outside doing some work on the lawn one fine day and the wacky redneck family (he's some kind of studio engineer) who moved in down the street found a snake in their yard and killed it.

After they dispatched it, the dad and some friend of his spent the next 30 minutes trying to throw the snake up into the air so it would land on an electric wire. They finally accomplished this dubious feat and the snake just hung there forever. But, I never could figure out why they did it. Was it a warning to other snakes? A totem expressing their manhood? Just completely nuts?

Anyone else do this?

FAX

It's done to scare snakes away, so they will go bother someone else. It seems to have been effective.

FAX
07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
It's done to scare snakes away, so they will go bother someone else. It seems to have been effective.

Great.

They've got dead snakes hanging from their power lines and I'm in the back room with a 9 iron and a Glad heavy duty garbage bag repeating "pennywise".

FAX

Pennywise
07-19-2007, 11:02 AM

Also, it did not appear to be threatening and had no rattles or try to bite or hiss or anything. It was just peacefully making its way across my lawn.
FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

Sorry. I didn't see the thread. You should have 'peacefully' smashed or chopped its head.

I kill every snake I see with no regard for size, disposition, color or if its poisonous or not.

It's a snake, **** them.

Pennywise
07-19-2007, 11:03 AM

How can a snake see from 3 inches off the ground all the way up to the power lines?

I credit my cats for keeping the snakes out of my yard.

penguinz
07-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry. I didn't see the thread. You should have 'peacefully' smashed or chopped its head.

I kill every snake I see with no regard for size, disposition, color or if its poisonous or not.

It's a snake, **** them.WTF did the snake ever do to you other than kill and eat animals that really are a nuisance like mice?

trndobrd
07-19-2007, 12:52 PM
How can a snake see from 3 inches off the ground all the way up to the power lines?

I credit my cats for keeping the snakes out of my yard.

by looking up

seclark
07-19-2007, 03:21 PM
WTF did the snake ever do to you other than kill and eat animals that really are a nuisance like mice?
it's not wise to question the evil clown. let him kill the snakes if that's what he wants to do.
just a bit of advice.
sec

penguinz
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM
it's not wise to question the evil clown. let him kill the snakes if that's what he wants to do.
just a bit of advice.
sec
Can't. There is not reason to kill a snake just because it is a snake.

Mile High Mania
07-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Get a load of this damn thing... this snake "supposedly" was found in Hot Springs, AR. My dad just sent me the email.

Friggin' crazy. I'd crap myself if I ever stumbled upon something like that...

Skip Towne
07-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Get a load of this damn thing... this snake "supposedly" was found in Hot Springs, AR. My dad just sent me the email.

Summa ma bitch.

PinkFloyd
07-19-2007, 05:37 PM

That SAME snake has been seen in Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois... That's got to be one tired sum-of-a-biotch snake... I reallly think they are all photoshopped...

Mile High Mania
07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
That SAME snake has been seen in Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois... That's got to be one tired sum-of-a-biotch snake... I reallly think they are all photoshopped...

Well, that's why I put "supposedly" in there... I replied back and asked where he got the email. I dunno.

leviw
07-20-2007, 12:52 AM
I don't think it's photoshopped, just held close to the camera making it seem much larger than it actually is.

PHOG
07-20-2007, 01:42 AM
WTF did the snake ever do to you other than kill and eat animals that really are a nuisance like mice?

Ahh, a crack in the armor of the clown Pennywise..

chagrin
07-20-2007, 05:14 AM
You called?

Hi ya wheezy, want a balloon?

StcChief
07-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Post are garden snake variations but the Copperheads get the how.

Tatertot13
07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
How about a black rat snake

Tatertot13
07-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Forgot to add the pic

Pennywise
07-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Ahh, a crack in the armor of the clown Pennywise..
Ummmm....Not ****ing hardly.

I'll especially be on the lookout now and I'll let this thread be the repository for the slayings.

Thanks for the motivation, but it wasn't really needed.