PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Woman Gets Superfast Internet, maybe fastest residential service

Smed1065
07-19-2007, 02:57 PM
STOCKHOLM, Sweden -

She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer _ many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand-new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection.

She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/07/19/718461.html&cvqh=itn_swedishwoman

Valiant
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
STOCKHOLM, Sweden -

She is a latecomer to the information superhighway, but 75-year-old Sigbritt Lothberg is now cruising the Internet with a dizzying speed. Lothberg's 40 gigabits-per-second fiber-optic connection in Karlstad is believed to be the fastest residential uplink in the world, Karlstad city officials said.

In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer _ many thousand times faster than most residential connections, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, head of the Karlstad city network unit.

Jonsson and Lothberg's son, Peter, worked together to install the connection.

The speed is reached using a new modulation technique that allows the sending of data between two routers placed up to 1,240 miles apart, without any transponders in between, Jonsson said.

"We wanted to show that that there are no limitations to Internet speed," he said.

Peter Lothberg, who is a networking expert, said he wanted to demonstrate the new technology while providing a computer link for his mother.

"She's a brand-new Internet user," Lothberg said by phone from California, where he lives. "She didn't even have a computer before."

His mother isn't exactly making the most of her high-speed connection.

She only uses it to read Web-based newspapers.

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2007/07/19/718461.html&cvqh=itn_swedishwoman

LOL and certain companies are wanting to slow down the internet to certain places..

Planetman
07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
YUMPIN YIMMINEY!

Saulbadguy
07-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I can't wait until I can get that.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
LOL and certain companies are wanting to slow down the internet to certain places..

I haven't heard abou that. What's the deal?

Eleazar
07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I haven't heard abou that. What's the deal?

to set up a tier system where they can charge more for higher speeds?

Hammock Parties
07-19-2007, 04:01 PM
I wonder if she's dating anyone...

The Rick
07-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but in reality, there's no way she could possibly download a full length movie in less than two seconds. They are no doubt just estimating. There's no way her hard drive on her computer could keep up writing the file to disk.

Basically, hardware is going to have to catch up before we could fully utilize this stuff.

Deberg_1990
07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
what a waste. She needs to use it for more important things like PRON.

Smed1065
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Not to be a "Debbie Downer", but in reality, there's no way she could possibly download a full length movie in less than two seconds. They are no doubt just estimating. There's no way her hard drive on her computer could keep up writing the file to disk.

Basically, hardware is going to have to catch up before we could fully utilize this stuff.

They forgot to show a pic of her personal computer.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/smed1065/Qnov02.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
to set up a tier system where they can charge more for higher speeds?

I am batting .1000 in dumbassery for at LEAST the last 24 hours.

Rooster
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
what a waste. She needs to use it for more important things like PRON.

That was my first thought as well. Just think about the possibilities. :)

Frankie
07-19-2007, 04:30 PM

You mean it's gonna take

3 OR 4 SECONDS!!!? :banghead:

THOSE LYIN' BASTARDS!! :cuss:

TinyEvel
07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm disappointed that it took 10 posts to get to a pr0n reference.

Valiant
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I am batting .1000 in dumbassery for at LEAST the last 24 hours.

You should be happy you are only 1 for 10 in dumbassery... :)

07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Yet America supposedly can't achieve those speeds.

Eric
07-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Not true. Google it. Cost like 250,000 to set it up. Just an experiment.