PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a KC Steakhouse...please

Archie F. Swin
07-19-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm trying to plan our family weekend in KC. I know there are some well established, nationally acclaimed steakhouses in the city. I would like a restaurant that is established and reputable, but yet kids are not frowned upon and a jacket is not required. Not too worried about prices. looking for a Sunday evening meal.

Bearcat
07-19-2007, 11:28 PM
The Majestic Steakhouse, 10th & Broadway downtown.... the main floor has kind of a 'jacket required' feel to it, and so do the prices, but it's actually pretty laid back. Kids aren't real common, but I wouldn't say they're frowned upon. Sunday night is the one night they have jazz on the main floor instead of downstairs in the jazz club, so it would be pretty relaxed.

Hammock Parties
Hereford House.

OnTheWarpath15
My guess is that Plaza III is out then.

It wouldn't classify as a "steakhouse" but I make every effort to visit the Fiorella's Jack Stack in the Freighthouse behind Union Station every time I'm in KC.

Great variety on the menu, good prices, IMO.

http://www.jackstackkc.com

Didn't realize they opened a location on the Plaza......

Husky4506
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
plaza III

TinyEvel
07-19-2007, 11:30 PM
There's a place I really like to go to when I come into town...if I could only remember the name of it........wait....it's coming to me....it's called the REEEEEEEEEEPOST!!!!!!!!

Archie F. Swin
07-19-2007, 11:32 PM
There's a place I really like to go to when I come into town...if I could only remember the name of it........wait....it's coming to me....it's called the REEEEEEEEEEPOST!!!!!!!!

ahhhh hellz noez

Archie F. Swin
07-19-2007, 11:33 PM
My guess is that Plaza III is out then.

why no Plaza III?

DaFace
07-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Your avatar creeps me out.

TinyEvel
07-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Your avatar creeps me out.

It's really me, too. We just got a new MacBook Pro with a built-in cam. Plus wicked photo and video editing software. There's gonna be some SUHWEET Photoshopin' going on this season.

OnTheWarpath15
07-19-2007, 11:41 PM
why no Plaza III?

My wife and I actually talked about this last time we were there.

We've never seen a kid in the joint, and we both kinda feel ........

How to explain? Not that's it's "frowned upon, " but like you "might" get less than adequate service?

Hard to explain the feeling. Hell, we don't even have kids. My wife just happened to bring it up out of nowhere.

Guess it probably depends on the age of the kids as well......

Based on steaks alone, the Majestic and Plaza III have no competition, IMO

TinyEvel
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I recomend Capo in Santa Monica.

I had a 24 oz. bone in cut there called the "Kansas City" that was $54.

JUST FOR THE FRIGGEN STEAK!

You gotz to love you some of those production company dinners.

Bearcat
07-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Based on steaks alone, the Majestic and Plaza III have no competition, IMO

Have you ever been to the Capital Grille? I know it's not a KC-original.... I thought the Majestic was clearly the best in the city before going to the Capital Grille a couple of years back. However, I'd give the overall meal to the Majestic for their twice-baked potato and apple crisp. :drool:

OnTheWarpath15
07-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I recomend Capo in Santa Monica.

I had a 24 oz. bone in cut there called the "Kansas City" that was $54.

JUST FOR THE FRIGGEN STEAK!

You gotz to love you some of those production company dinners.

Sounds like Annie Gunn's here in STL.

22oz bone-in filet for $49.

Want a baked potato with that?

Make that $56. Want veggies?

$60.

Thank god for expense reports......

|Zach|
07-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Have you ever been to the Capital Grille?:
:hail:

OnTheWarpath15
07-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Have you ever been to the Capital Grille? I know it's not a KC-original.... I thought the Majestic was clearly the best in the city before going to the Capital Grille a couple of years back. However, I'd give the overall meal to the Majestic for their twice-baked potato and apple crisp. :drool:

I've been to the CG in Vegas, but not in KC. It was good, but the Majestic was a cut above, IMO.

I've wanted to try Pierpont's, but we always end up somewhere else.

cdcox
07-19-2007, 11:57 PM
why no Plaza III?

I would like a restaurant that is established

Check

and reputable,

Check

but yet kids are not frowned upon

Carl Peterson will feed your children to the rats that live in the alley behid the resturaunt

and a jacket is not required.

Carl Peterson will make a jacket out of the rats that ate your kids if you even think of stepping into his resturaunt without a jacket.

Demonpenz
07-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I can recommend a bathhouse but not a steak house

cosmo20002
07-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Its not really a "local" place, and its $$$$$, but Morton's is freaking awesome. If anyone says Hereford House--ignore it. Most overrated place in town. I'd much rather go to a chain like Outback or Lonestar than Hereford House.

CoMoChief
07-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Get your money's worth and go to Jesse Jim's in Martin City. Their steaks and baked potatoes are HUGE.

KCChiefsMan
07-20-2007, 02:14 AM
Hereford house is terrible! So is KC Masterpiece.

CHIEF4EVER
07-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Screw going to a steakhouse. Just go to LC's in Raytown. And bring your appetite. You'll thank me when you get back.

P.S. Order the Burnt Ends, best in the world.

DaKCMan AP
07-20-2007, 05:20 AM
If I was visiting KC I wouldn't waste a meal at a steakhouse. EAT BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-20-2007, 05:38 AM
I'm trying to plan our family weekend in KC. I know there are some well established, nationally acclaimed steakhouses in the city. I would like a restaurant that is established and reputable, but yet kids are not frowned upon and a jacket is not required. Not too worried about prices. looking for a Sunday evening meal.
Steak and Shake?

HonestChieffan
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
You want all that Overland Parkish/Ward parkway/Snob steak house stuff or do you want a good meal?

I wouldnt give 30cents for Herford House. Bad service is the start then the food takes it lower. Plaza III...sure, maybe you and Carl can visit. Capitol Grill...have you looked at what they charge? My god...robbery!!

Real Steakhouses are rare and a find. There is one that tops all others in KC...Its Jess and Jims...Martin City. Jess and Jims and the Old Golden Ox. Man...thats what a steakhouse is. No need for some fancy car or your hoity tpoity JoCo Lic Plate, you dont have to wear khakis and tassel lofers, the bar mixes awesome drinks and the food is out of site.

trndobrd
07-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Either go to the Majestic in Downtown or roll out West to Don's Steakhouse in Lawrence. (about a 20 minute drive from Overland Park). Don's is everything a steakhouse should be, and nothing it isn't.

sedated
07-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Hereford House--ignore it. Most overrated place in town.

yup. totally agree.

It's all about J. Gilbert's in Overland Park.

http://www.jgilberts.com/Home.aspx?LocationID=825

http://www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=6183

noa
07-20-2007, 07:47 AM
It wouldn't classify as a "steakhouse" but I make every effort to visit the Fiorella's Jack Stack in the Freighthouse behind Union Station every time I'm in KC.

Word

Adept Havelock
07-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Get your money's worth and go to Jesse Jim's in Martin City. Their steaks and baked potatoes are HUGE.

Jess and Jim's does have great steaks, but the sides are less than impressive, IMO.

Of course with a 30 oz Porterhouse who cares about the sides.

Dartgod
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm going to also recommend Jess & Jim's.

HemiEd
07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice Thread. Things have sure changed evidently. My favorites used to be (80s) "Baby Does", Union Station, Golden Oxe, then Hereford House.

I will have to check out "Jess and Jims" next time I get a chance.

Baby Lee
07-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Jess & Jim's

parents and grandparents loved the pickled beets as a side. Me notsomuch, but if that's something that revs you, they do offer them.

dj56dt58
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
When I went to a game a couple years back Boomer Grigsby recommended The Plaza to us....

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Outback Steakhouse makes a nice steak.

Dave Lane
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Hereford house...

Dave

gblowfish
07-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Seems like we do this thread every couple months or so...

Best Bets:

Downtown:
Hereford House
Golden Ox
Majestic Steak House
Savoy Grill
Pierpont's in Union Station
Phillips Chop House
Morton's in Crown Center

Plaza:
Ruth Criss
Capitol Grill

Way South:
Jess N Jim's (Martin City)

Lawrence:
Don's Steakhouse on K-10

Archie F. Swin
07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys...I wrote down most recommendations...now I'm hungry

Bowser
07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qGhBsFZWUks"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qGhBsFZWUks" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

GoTrav
07-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Nice Thread. Things have sure changed evidently. My favorites used to be (80s) "Baby Does", Union Station, Golden Oxe, then Hereford House.

I will have to check out "Jess and Jims" next time I get a chance.

Golden Oxe is pretty good and more casual. Their double cut smoked pork chop is a winner.

Inspector
07-20-2007, 01:47 PM
They used to have a Ponderosa out this way. Even had a sald bar and free refills on the drinks.

What will they think of next?

Redrum_69
07-20-2007, 01:49 PM
They used to have a Ponderosa out this way. Even had a sald bar and free refills on the drinks.

those dang sald bars are vicious

also...try FIRE MOUNTAIN!1

KC Kings
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I like Jess and Jims. I have a hard time paying 3 times as much for a steak at a restaraunt when steak is the easiest meat to cook. I can grill it and my wife can broil it and it tastes as good as any restaraunt. I have never been to Morton's or any of the other high priced places because of that.

Texas Road House is pretty good also. It is kind of like a LoneStar with better food, IMO.

KCChiefsMan
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Either go to the Majestic in Downtown or roll out West to Don's Steakhouse in Lawrence. (about a 20 minute drive from Overland Park). Don's is everything a steakhouse should be, and nothing it isn't.

you know I lived in Lawrence for 7 years and never ate there

HemiEd
07-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Free desert?

HemiEd
07-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Golden Oxe is pretty good and more casual. Their double cut smoked pork chop is a winner.

Never tried that, I seem to remember their T-Bone?

My favorite is Prime Rib, too bad "Baby does" fell off the side of that hill (not sure what really happened) because they had incredible prime rib.

Stewie
07-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Has anyone been to the Hereford House in Lawrence? It's a HH Bar & Grill. They're building one of these by me at 435 and Midland in Shawnee. I'm just curious what the difference will be from their traditional restaurants.

|Zach|
07-20-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't really understand all the love for the Hereford House. Don't get me wrong...you will have a decent meal if you go there but it doesn't come close to living up to all the hype it gets. I find their steak pretty pedestrian.

Phobia
07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I've had a positive experience at Jess & Jim's. I wasn't blown away or anything, but it was pleasant.

Logical
07-20-2007, 10:52 PM
I am amazed no one has named Ruth Chris Steakhouse, yes it is a chain but it is an incredible chain. Country Club Plaza.

ptlyon
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I've had a positive experience at Jess & Jim's. I wasn't blown away or anything, but it was pleasant.

Kinda like me and your...

AH F. I can't do it.

Somebody had to do it tho.

Hope things are good with Phil & Co....

Bob Dole
07-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I like Jess and Jims. I have a hard time paying 3 times as much for a steak at a restaraunt when steak is the easiest meat to cook. I can grill it and my wife can broil it and it tastes as good as any restaraunt.

Bob Dole can't seem to find a consistently good place to buy the meat down here. Half the time, Bob Dole might as well have grilled the soles of his Johnston and Murphy's.

Archie F. Swin
07-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Bob Dole can't seem to find a consistently good place to buy the meat down here. Half the time, Bob Dole might as well have grilled the soles of his Johnston and Murphy's.

you ever field dressed an Angus?

:D
:hmmm:

Mojo Rising
07-21-2007, 12:42 AM
I am amazed no one has named Ruth Chris Steakhouse, yes it is a chain but it is an incredible chain. Country Club Plaza.

Ruths Chris was not good on my last several visits. Mortons is as bad. I actually like Hereford House.

A chain that I think is good is Peter Flemmings. Maestros in OC and Harris' in SF are my favorites.

And, anyone who orders filets shouldn't post on this thread.