PDA

View Full Version : Music that made movie magic

Fly O.T. McWall
07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
http://music.aol.com/feature/unforgettable-movie-songs

Fly O.T. McWall
07-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I can't argue that those are some great, great scenes, but I think the list creators really missed the boat by including only songs with lyrics. You can't have a list of unforgettable movie songs without including a plethora of John Williams (Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones), Also Sprach Zarathustra from 2001, and myriad other compositions.

patteeu
07-20-2007, 12:09 PM
The one that immediately came to my mind was:

The theme song for Kelly's Heroes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/) (Burning Bridges by Mike Curb Congregation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VhnAl2BFM))

I didn't see it in the list though, which, of course, makes the list bogus. :D

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I can't argue that those are some great, great scenes, but I think the list creators really missed the boat by including only songs with lyrics.

Pop culture ****ing sucks.

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:12 PM
i picked up Air from The Virgin Suicides.. love that band

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Pop culture ****ing sucks.
There were a couple in there that weren't pop culture -- at least modern anyway. I noticed Moon River made the list from Breakfast at Tiffany's, Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and a few others.

Overall, I agree with Fly's assessment. Not a good list without instrumentals.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
i picked up Air from The Virgin Suicides.. love that band
I generally get my air for free.

Ever read the book? I read it years ago and thought "How the hell are they going to make a movie out of this?" I really thought Coppola did it justice and thought at the time if she could keep it up she'd be a good one.

Thank god, too... otherwise, we might have had to see her act again.

Redrum_69
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
GOD FATHER

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I generally get my air for free.

Ever read the book? I read it years ago and thought "How the hell are they going to make a movie out of this?" I really thought Coppola did it justice and thought at the time if she could keep it up she'd be a good one.

Thank god, too... otherwise, we might have had to see her act again.

one of the few books i've read more than once. jeffrey eugenides creates a wonderful, haunting, and humorous look at "lost innocence".
i agree, Coppola did a great job (i also enjoyed lost in translation)

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
What was the criteria?? Several of the songs, while catchy pop songs, never really added anything to any specific scene in chosen movie.

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:22 PM
love Nico but Elliott Smith (needle in the hay) should have made the list for the Royal Tenenbaums

VonneMarie
07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Titanic.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I've never heard "Layla" the same as I did before seeing it sync'd in the movie, "Goodfellas". Seeing it tied to frozen and dead bodies all over Manhattan is forever burned in my mind.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I was pretty fond of the Stones' "Time is on my side" featured throughout <i>Fallen</i>

Fire Me Boy!
GOD FATHER
It actually was one word. But you're right... tons of great music there.

phisherman
love Nico but Elliott Smith (needle in the hay) should have made the list for the Royal Tenenbaums

while the elliott smith is great, no doubt, i think the nico song is significant not only for the quality of the song, but also for the fact that gwyneth paltrow looks EXACTLY like nico in that particular scene..

a great example of moving cinematography if i've ever seen one and just another quality wes anderson moment; that guy uses the best music in his movies

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Titanic.

Thats one i was talking about. The Celine Deon song never really played in a specific scene. Maybe the background music did, but not the full song.

Ditto, the Bryan Adams song from Robin Hood and the Nickelback Spiderman song, etc....

But the list does nail some really good scene specific songs like:

Tiny Dancer in Almost Famous and Bohemian Rhapsody in Waynes World.

Fire Me Boy!
I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Ennio Morricone (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, to name only one).

Hammock Parties
Ditto, the Bryan Adams song from Robin Hood

:shake:

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I would also be remiss if I didn't mention Ennio Morricone (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, to name only one).

VANGELIS OWNS ALL COMPOSERS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
while the elliott smith is great, no doubt, i think the nico song is significant not only for the quality of the song, but also for the fact that gwyneth paltrow looks EXACTLY like nico in that particular scene..

a great example of moving cinematography if i've ever seen one and just another quality wes anderson moment; that guy uses the best music in his movies
it's a close call. wes anderson does use some great music in his films. he's my favorite director for more than one reason

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:35 PM
VANGELIS OWNS ALL COMPOSERS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE
Gotta disagree... while good, namely <i>Chariots of Fire</i>, not up to par with Williams, Morricone, et al.

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
no Danny Elfman?

Fire Me Boy!
Bernard Herrmann (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002136/) kicks ALL ass.

Fire Me Boy!
no Danny Elfman?
Elfman is outstanding, no doubt. Hadn't thought that far yet.

Fly O.T. McWall
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
damn you guys are good.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Elfman is outstanding, no doubt. Hadn't thought that far yet.

Hes good, but sometimes his scores sound all the same to me. Actually one of my faves of his is "Midnight Run" because it sounds like nothing he has ever done before or since.

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Hes good, but sometimes his scores sound all the same to me. Actually one of my faves of his is "Midnight Run" because it sounds like nothing he has ever done before or since.
he has a distinct sound.
hmmm my fav would be either Nightmare Before Xmas (all of the songs) or Edward Scissorhands

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd agree. He's gotten away from the "la-la" children lately, so that's good.

noa
07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I think Aimee Mann should have been a little higher for Magnolia.

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Gotta disagree... while good, namely <i>Chariots of Fire</i>, not up to par with Williams, Morricone, et al.

Chariots of Fire is shit. Go and listen to Alexander. Or 1492.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 12:48 PM

Or Bladerunner

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Or Bladerunner

Bladerunner is amaaaaaaazing. I could listen to "Blade Runner Blues" every day and not get tired of it.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Or Bladerunner
Shhhhh.... don't tell GoChiefs, but I was baiting him by using one of the cheeziest scores out there.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 12:57 PM
If I watched Alexander again, I'd be forced to watch Alexander again. Who can concentrate on the score when cinematic diarrhea pours from the screen?

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
If I watched Alexander again, I'd be forced to watch Alexander again. Who can concentrate on the score when cinematic diarrhea pours from the screen?

LMAO

I liked parts of it. Admittedly I listened to the soundtrack before I watched the movie.

noa
07-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Also, Stuck in the Middle with You from Reservoir Dogs should be in the top 20 IMO

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Ive never seen that flick and i like Oliver Stone flicks. Im guessing its not worth a rental??

Theres a directors cut out there now..

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 01:00 PM
I liked parts of it.
Me too... Rosario Dawson's left breast and Rosario Dawson's right breast. That was IT!

noa
07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Me too... Rosario Dawson's left breast and Rosario Dawson's right breast. That was IT!

I thought Colin Ferrell was a terrible choice

Fire Me Boy!
Ive never seen that flick and i like Oliver Stone flicks. Im guessing its not worth a rental??

Theres a directors cut out there now..
You might like it. Personally... I blame Stone for the demise in cinema.

That may be a bit harsh, but I don't think Stone has been good since he became "Oliver Stone"... I don't think stone has been good since JFK.

Fire Me Boy!
I thought Colin Ferrell was a terrible choice
Did I say I like Ferrell? I said I liked Dawson's tits.

noa
07-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Did I say I like Ferrell? I said I liked Dawson's tits.

Oh yeah, I was just agreeing with you that it was a bad movie

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
You might like it. Personally... I blame Stone for the demise in cinema.

That may be a bit harsh, but I don't think Stone has been good since he became "Oliver Stone"... I don't think stone has been good since JFK.

Hes not the same filmaker he once was. I say he jumped the shark with "U-Turn"

I enjoyed everything up to that including Heaven and Earth, Natural Born Killers and Nixon.

noa
07-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I think Steven Soderbergh has used some good David Holmes tracks in his movies. I would have added something maybe from Out of Sight or one of the Ocean's movies.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I think Steven Soderbergh has used some good David Holmes tracks in his movies. I would have added something maybe from Out of Sight or one of the Ocean's movies.

definately. Those Oceans scores i really, really love.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Hes not the same filmaker he once was. I say he jumped the shark with "U-Turn"

I enjoyed everything up to that including Heaven and Earth, Natural Born Killers and Nixon.
I thought it started down with Heaven and Earth and bottomed out at Natural Born Killers.

Redrum_69
07-20-2007, 01:29 PM
House of a thousand corpses..

Devils Rejects...

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 01:41 PM

You guys are confusing a Film Score and songs that are chosen (or synchronized) to a specific scene.

The "List" is about songs sync'd to a specific scene, not music specifically written by the film's composer for a specific scene (or the opening and closing themes).

The songs on that list were chosen by the Music Supervisor of the movie and more than likely, several songs were chosen for each scene due to budget, availability, Master rights issues, etc.

David Holmes, Nino Rota, Ennio Morricone, John Williams, etc. were all hired by the film's director or producers to compose the film Score. The composer of the film has nothing to do with the Music Supervisor. The Director will usually have his scenes planned out well in advance and will have the Music Supervisor working to get clearance rights for specific songs to be sync'd to specific scenes while the composer will compose music for scenes to be determined by the director.

They're two completely different subjects and issues.

Redrum_69
07-20-2007, 01:42 PM
El Mariachi

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
You guys are confusing a Film Score and songs that are chosen (or synchronized) to a specific scene.

The "List" is about songs sync'd to a specific scene, not music specifically written by the film's composer for a specific scene (or the opening and closing themes).

The songs on that list were chosen by the Music Supervisor of the movie and more than likely, several songs were chosen for each scene due to budget, availability, Master rights issues, etc.

David Holmes, Nino Rota, Ennio Morricone, John Williams, etc. were all hired by the film's director or producers to compose the film Score. The composer of the film has nothing to do with the Music Supervisor. The Director will usually have his scenes planned out well in advance and will have the Music Supervisor working to get clearance rights for specific songs to be sync'd to specific scenes while the composer will compose music for scenes to be determined by the director.

They're two completely different subjects and issues.
The very first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was Also Sprach Zarathustra... hard to say it was composed in 1896 for Kubrick, no?

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Thats one i was talking about. The Celine Deon song never really played in a specific scene. Maybe the background music did, but not the full song.

James Horner composed a piece of music that was later adapted into "My Heart Will Go On". A lyricist was hired to write a song about the central character's experience in the movie using music from the score and from there, he and James Horner arranged and recorded what was to become one of the biggest hits in the world.

Ditto, the Bryan Adams song from Robin Hood and the Nickelback Spiderman song, etc....

That's because these were songs from the Soundtrack, not the Score. The Soundtrack consists of songs that appeared during the movie. These songs could be as short as 10 seconds or could play their entire length.

With a few notable exceptions (Titanic, Star Wars, Rocky, etc.) film scores don't sell. Usually less than 10,000 copies per film. Soundtracks on the other hand, usually do very well and it's a launching pad for new for brand new bands or can be a successful way to market older and aging bands. Either way, the movie studio and record labels win big-time and most likely, the movie will feature music by bands or songs in only their catalog (So Sony will feature Sony Music bands or songs exclusively, Warner's will use their catalog, etc.).

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 01:55 PM
The very first thing I thought of when I saw the topic was Also Sprach Zarathustra... hard to say it was composed in 1896 for Kubrick, no?

I would call that a "notable exception". :)

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd also argue that since this...

In celebration of summer movie season, we've whipped up this "definitive" list of the most memorable movie tunes. We reviewed hundreds of films to find these 77 gems. Everything was fair game ... EXCEPT MUSICALS (if you're looking for 'Rent,' go to Broadway). Enjoy the show.

... is at the very top of the list, and they specify movie tunes and the title of the list is "Most Unforgettable Movie Songs" that you MUST include things scored for the film.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I could be wrong. :)

Redrum_69
07-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Top Gun

noa
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I want to be a music supervisor. I wonder how you break into that business.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd also argue that since this...

... is at the very top of the list, and they specify movie tunes and the title of the list is "Most Unforgettable Movie Songs" that you MUST include things scored for the film.

Yeah, but they didn't. A "movie song" is a song sync'd to film. A Score isn't considered a song; it's a Cue. It's registered with the Performing Rights Societies (ASCAP, BMI, SECAC in the US) as cue or theme and it's paid completely differently.

With a movie cue or theme, the composer is paid as a "Work For Hire". Those pieces of music composed for the movie are owned by the movie studio. The composer get his Writer's Share of those pieces (50%) and that's it. The composer never gets sync money (say, like his music is used for a commercial or for other movies) and never has a chance to own the Master Recordings.

With "Movie Music", those are existing song Masters that in most cases, weren't written specifically for the film. They're songs that are added to the soundtrack and movie and are paid completely differently. A sync fee is paid (anywhere from $50 dollars to $1 million dollars) and that money goes directly to the composer of the song. Then, a Master Rights fee is paid and that money goes to the artist.

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I want to be a music supervisor. I wonder how you break into that business.

I know many music supervisors here in Los Angeles and have worked with several. Most start out in music publishing working in the Film/TV department. They have college degrees from universities such as University of Pacific, that feature college degrees in the music business. Others have come from the recording industry or as artists and composers.

noa
07-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I know many music supervisors here in Los Angeles and have worked with several. Most start out in music publishing working in the Film/TV department. They have college degrees from universities such as University of Pacific, that feature college degrees in the music business. Others have come from the recording industry or as artists and composers.

Thanks. I've always thought it would be sweet to choose the music for a movie or show. I also get annoyed when people re-use music that was closely tied with a previous movie (i.e. Michael Bay using music from Kill Bill in Transformers). There's nothing immoral about it, its just not original.

Molitoth
07-20-2007, 02:21 PM
Hey! they forgot about...

Vanilla Sky
Svefn-g-englar - Sigur Ros

The Girl Next Door
Filter - Take a Picture

Donnie Darko
The Church - Under the Milky Way Tonight

QuikSsurfer
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey! they forgot about...

Vanilla Sky
Svefn-g-englar - Sigur Ros

The Girl Next Door
Filter - Take a Picture

Donnie Darko
The Church - Under the Milky Way Tonight

the sigur ros should have made the list

Rain Man
07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
#28 is way cool. I'm samba-ing in my office right now.

This is a great thread post.

Adept Havelock
07-20-2007, 04:11 PM
The one that immediately came to my mind was:

The theme song for Kelly's Heroes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065938/) (Burning Bridges by Mike Curb Congregation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_VhnAl2BFM))

I didn't see it in the list though, which, of course, makes the list bogus. :D

Thanks for the positive waves, man. Woof woof! :)

Sorry you are bandwidth-challenged and can't enjoy this:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_VhnAl2BFM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9_VhnAl2BFM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 04:15 PM
This always makes me laugh.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahHYhlJcKYE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ahHYhlJcKYE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Raimi did it again with some other song in Spidey 3...funny shit.

Rain Man
07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
patteeu's nomination brings to mind two scores that were highly memorable and aren't on this list: the themes to "The Great Escape" and "Bridge on the River Kwai". Any list that excludes those is faulty.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but they didn't. A "movie song" is a song sync'd to film. A Score isn't considered a song; it's a Cue. It's registered with the Performing Rights Societies (ASCAP, BMI, SECAC in the US) as cue or theme and it's paid completely differently.

With a movie cue or theme, the composer is paid as a "Work For Hire". Those pieces of music composed for the movie are owned by the movie studio. The composer get his Writer's Share of those pieces (50%) and that's it. The composer never gets sync money (say, like his music is used for a commercial or for other movies) and never has a chance to own the Master Recordings.

With "Movie Music", those are existing song Masters that in most cases, weren't written specifically for the film. They're songs that are added to the soundtrack and movie and are paid completely differently. A sync fee is paid (anywhere from $50 dollars to $1 million dollars) and that money goes directly to the composer of the song. Then, a Master Rights fee is paid and that money goes to the artist.
Then... I submit to you the entirety of Amadeus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/) and the final scene in The Godfather (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/) .

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 07:05 PM
And Dane... just so you know, I'm arguing simply to argue. Partly because I don't think the creators of this list are smart enough to know what you just said about a "song" versus a "cue".

Hell, I'm a filmmaker and I didn't realize they were registered any differently.

Hammock Parties
07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Hell, I'm a filmmaker and I didn't realize they were registered any differently.

Turn in your monocle.

Thig Lyfe
07-20-2007, 07:15 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/81/150px-LloydandtheBoombox.jpg

Thig Lyfe
07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Geto Boys, 'Still' ('Office Space,' 1999)

Seems that 'Boyz n the Hood' have a lot in common with Boys in the Cubicles. The hook to this "beat for the beating" is savage, but doesn't hit nearly as hard as Michael Bolton's fist as it pummels a 30 GB hard drive. Download THIS, bitch! -- MTC

Copiers have 30 GB hard drives?

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Turn in your monocle.
No.

Seriously, I've always had a friend score my stuff or I've worked with some people who are like me and trying to make a name for themselves. It's never been an issue before.

And I've never pretended to be knowledgeable about the recording industry.

Therefore, I think the monocle is still deserved.

:harumph:

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Then... I submit to you the entirety of Amadeus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/) and the final scene in The Godfather (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/) .

I don't understand your point. At my last music publishing company which was owned by Paramount, we administered the rights to the Godfather movies. Paramount owned the music. The composer creates the works as a "Work For Hire". He's paid a flat fee and receives the writer's share of the publishing income. That's it.

That's nothing like taking a pre-existing song and placing it in a film or television show. That's called Synchronization, not composition. And the list that was attached by the thread starter deals with sync, not score.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't understand your point. At my last music publishing company which was owned by Paramount, we administered the rights to the Godfather movies. Paramount owned the music. The composer creates the works as a "Work For Hire". He's paid a flat fee and receives the writer's share of the publishing income. That's it.

That's nothing like taking a pre-existing song and placing it in a film or television show. That's called Synchronization, not composition. And the list that was attached by the thread starter deals with sync, not score.
I know. I get it. Amadeus was all Mozart's music made well before the movie, much like Also Sprach Zarathustra for 2001...

I'm just rattling on the same point, don't mind me. The base point being there are a ton of songs out there (like in the thread) that were not scored for film, recorded earlier, and were synched.

Nevermind. Like I said, I'm not arguing, I get everything you're saying. I've gotten everything you've said thus far, I'm just arguing for argument's sake. I keep coming up with scenes that do not use songs with lyrics that were not composed for the film, that would qualify based on your guidelines.

Deberg_1990
07-20-2007, 10:58 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/81/150px-LloydandtheBoombox.jpg

LLoyd Dobbler rules

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Also Sprach Zarathustra from 2001WOOOOOOOOOO!

keg in kc
07-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Ligeti's Atmospheres was the coolest part of 2001.