PDA

View Full Version : Moving sucks

DaFace
07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
I've officially decided that I'm tired of all this moving crap. Here's a summary of the places I've lived in in my life:

Parents' Place - 18 years
College Dorm 1 - 6 months
College Dorm 2 - 6 months
College Apt 1 - 2 years
College Apt 2 - 1 year
College Apt 3 - 6 months
College Apt 4 - 1.5 years
Denver Apt 1 - 8 months
Denver Apt 2 - ??? (just moved there)

So this makes the 8th place I've lived in the past 7 years. I'm sure it's probably typical of people around my age, but I'm getting damn tired of lugging my two couches up and down the stairs every year or so.

luv
07-21-2007, 12:23 AM
I've officially decided that I'm tired of all this moving crap. Here's a summary of the places I've lived in in my life:

College Apt 1 - 2 years
College Apt 2 - 1 year
College Apt 3 - 6 months
Denver Apt 1 - 8 months

So this makes the 8th place I've lived in the past 7 years. I'm sure it's probably typical of people around my age, but I'm getting damn tired of lugging my two couches up and down the stairs every year or so.
Is it just me, or do accumulate more and more stuff with each move? I swear, I have enough stuff for a two bedroom apartment (as long as the second bedroom is my office/workout room).

Direckshun
07-21-2007, 12:25 AM
That looks about like my history.

Parent's place - 18 years
College dorm 1 - 1 year
College dorm 2 - 6 months
College house - 1 year
College apartment 1 - 6 months
College apartment 2 - 6 months
KC apartment 1 - 1 year
KC apartment 2 - 1 year
KC apartment 3 - 1 year
Springfield apartment - 2, 3 months

I don't know if that all adds up but that's about the story.

Direckshun
07-21-2007, 12:26 AM
By the way. I don't mind the move. I mind how expensive it is.

DaFace
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM
By the way. I don't mind the move. I mind how expensive it is.

Definitely. Between deposits and application fees and administrative fees and all that other B.S., it really adds up.

luv
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM
That looks about like my history.

Parent's place - 18 years
College dorm 1 - 1 year
College dorm 2 - 6 months
College house - 1 year
College apartment 1 - 6 months
College apartment 2 - 6 months
KC apartment 1 - 1 year
KC apartment 2 - 1 year
KC apartment 3 - 1 year
Springfield apartment - 2, 3 months

I don't know if that all adds up but that's about the story.
That would have you about 25.

noa
07-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Moving is the worst, but its a good chance to go through all your crap and discover what you can get rid of. I just moved at the beginning of the month and donated boxes of stuff I once thought I needed. That part is sort of cathartic. The rest is just torturous.

DaFace
07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Is it just me, or do accumulate more and more stuff with each move? I swear, I have enough stuff for a two bedroom apartment (as long as the second bedroom is my office/workout room).

I think you tend to expand to fit whatever space you're in. We haven't accumulated too much lately, though, because our first apartment here in Denver was quite a bit smaller than I was used to.

(Obligatory "Damn big city real estate prices!! :cuss:")

Smed1065
07-21-2007, 12:30 AM
I was in the Army and have always been a gypsy for some reason. After my first 8 moves in 5years and paying storage sometimes I just buy new stuff when I arrive and sell it when I leave except personal items and computers. I might not buy the good stuff but I usually only have it 3 years or less so it is always new at least.

noa
07-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I was in the Army and have always been a gypsy for some reason. After my first 8 moves in 5years and paying storage sometimes I just buy new stuff when I arrive and sell it when I leave except personal items and computers. I might not buy the good stuff but I usually only have it 3 years or less so it is always new at least.

Craigslist is a great resource for this lifestyle.

DaFace
07-21-2007, 12:32 AM

I've been checking that out lately. It amazes me how cheap appliances and furniture go for on there. I guess there's always a chance that you might get a lemon appliance here and there, but as cheap as they are I'd think it would be worth the risk.

luv
07-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I think you tend to expand to fit whatever space you're in. We haven't accumulated too much lately, though, because our first apartment here in Denver was quite a bit smaller than I was used to.

(Obligatory "Damn big city real estate prices!! :cuss:")
Starting from the door, in my living room, I've got fishtank, tv, corner desk, patio door, recliner in corner, end table, 3-shelf bookcase, second end table, and my couch is not against a wall. Coffee table in the middle of it all. That's just the living room.

I wish I could afford a 2BR place. This big ol' desk, my fish tank, my curio cabinet, a bookcase, and my workout equipment would go in the second bedroom.

noa
07-21-2007, 12:35 AM
I've been checking that out lately. It amazes me how cheap appliances and furniture go for on there. I guess there's always a chance that you might get a lemon appliance here and there, but as cheap as they are I'd think it would be worth the risk.

Yeah, I don't know if its luck, but I have been consistently pleased with my Craigslist purchases, and have had little problem selling items I wanted to get rid of.
I actually sold a coffee table I bought for $50 on Craigslist for $45 after owning it for two years. I felt like I got away with one there, but it was in great condition.

DomerNKC
07-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Moving is no fun at all. These are my employershttp://movingsystems.com/fry-wagner/art/navphoto-brokerage.jpg

DaFace
07-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Moving is no fun at all. These are my employershttp://movingsystems.com/fry-wagner/art/navphoto-brokerage.jpg

Really? A friend of mine from college went to work there.

Smed1065
07-21-2007, 12:59 AM

I usually buy new and sell on craigslist when moving. Thats why I get the cheap to middle range, never loose that much $$.

The last time I stored some furniture the storage was more at the end than if I bought new.

CoMoChief
07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I just moved as well. Pain in the ass.

DomerNKC
07-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Really? A friend of mine from college went to work there.what is his name? i've been there almost 8 years, i should know him.

DaFace
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
what is his name? i've been there almost 8 years, i should know him.

Levi Lange. He's an IT guy, from what I understand.

Felch83
07-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Definitely gotta agree with this thread. Moving does suck. Thats why you pay a bunch of mexicans to move your stuff. They work for pennies.

Skip Towne
07-22-2007, 03:11 PM
You shouldn't have it so bad what with Rainman right there helping you. He IS helping you isn't he?

KChiefsQT
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM

College Apt 1 - 2 years
College Apt 2 - 1 year
College Apt 3 - 6 months
Denver Apt 1 - 8 months

What'd you go to College for?

Rain Man
07-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh, darn. I must've accidentally turned my cell phone off all weekend.

DomerNKC
07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Levi Lange. He's an IT guy, from what I understand.he is in the IT department. Seems to be a good guy.

DaFace
07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
What'd you go to College for?

Marketing undergrad. MBA grad.

DaFace
07-22-2007, 08:23 PM
he is in the IT department. Seems to be a good guy.

Yep. We worked together in Emporia for almost 4 years. If you see him, tell him Matt said hi.

Frazod
07-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Amateurs. If anybody's moved more than me, I'll be shocked.

Until 6 months - Kansas City, MO
6-18 months - Callao, MO
18 months-7 years - Macon, MO (5 different places)
7-15 - Jefferson City, MO (4 different places)
16 - Lee's Summit, MO
16-18 - Kirksville, MO (2 different places)
18 - Bootcamp, Orlando, FL
18-19 - A School, Meridian, MS
19-21 - Norfolk, VA (Ship plus 3 different apartments)
21 - Newport, RI (Justice School)
21-23 - Great Lakes, IL (2 different barracks)
23-24 - Waukegan, IL
24-25 - Buffalo Grove, IL
25-26 - Rosemont, IL (2 different apartments)
26-36 - Chicago, IL (5 different apartments)
36-Present - Naperville, IL

For much of my life I was averaging a move a year. I have lived in my current house for over 6 years, which is the longest amount of time I've ever lived in one place by a large margin. And I have no plans to move again. EVER. :grr:

And yes, MOVING SUCKS. :cuss:

DaFace
07-22-2007, 08:40 PM

6-18 months - Callao, MO
16 - Lee's Summit, MO
23-24 - Waukegan, IL

For much of my life I was averaging a move a year. I have lived in my current house for over 6 years, which is the longest amount of time I've ever lived in one place by a large margin. And I have no plans to move again. EVER. :grr:

Ouch...you do definitely have me beat. Prior to heading off to College, I lived in the same house for my entire life.

I'm trying to figure out what the best approach to moving around 20 miles. During the majority of my moves during college I just kinda hauled things bit by bit in a friend's truck. When moving out here, that obviously wasn't an option, so we had to carefully pack EVERYTHING at once.

This time, I'm kinda blending the two. I've been slowly but surely hauling bits and pieces to my new place. Then, when a bunch of my friends are around next weekend, we'll just haul all the big stuff in a UHaul real quick. It's not bad, but I'm certainly getting tired of driving back and forth.

Iowanian
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Eh.

we moved a week or so ago, because I sold my house too quickly. Last monday, an hour after closing, a tornado hit the house. Imagine THAT guys new moving story. Meanwhile, most of my belongings reside in a basement and a stock car trailer until I can get my new home closed.

IN the mean time, I"m living the life of adventure I had hoped for.

Day 1. Moving day....Refrigerator door is torn from its location by broken strap, tumbling down hwy 34 at 55mph...At least it missed the Yukon.

Day 2. Preface. For years I've told people they'd know I made my station in life when I kicked 2 pigs off of a trailer onto my place.

After a morning of working on stuff, the inlaws arived in the town of my new residence with kidowanian. I'm relaxing in flip flops and cargo shorts for the first time in a long time.....we meet, and they begin to follow us to the temp housing.....

We round a corner and from the woods, I see something I don't quite comprehend emerge...its a miniature Hog-zilla. I stop and leap from the truck and do my best high hurdle into Sherwood forest o'er a thorn bush, finding out that I can clear 3' and this bush of hades is 4'....cutting my feet to holy hell. The father in law enters the fray as we run down this wild beast.....and catch it.

As I continue my journey, it occurs to me that I don't have a home, I don't have a job that day....but I'm half way there with my 1 hog....Her name is Bacon, and she'll be delicious is a few months.

Day 3, Morning of....I put the flip flops back on my gouged feet, and my thorn-chainsawed legs to go to the barn to check on Bacon, and feed her....when the barn explodes with 6 racoons. I run back to the house, grabbing my trusty, henry, lever action .22 and bound back to the barn, dropping two of them into the jaws of the waiting Farm Dog, but Saving the Bacon, of my future bacon....or at least the bag of feed.

Day 4
Go to work with younger brother, 4 minutes upon arrival, and performing task as specifically instructed, and being called many names, ending with the magic "c#cksucker" that sets off a stick of dynomite....nearly beat the piss out of a $2 dumbass in North Kansas City, narrowly escaping disaster after he thought better after seeing Hulkowanian turning green and bursting from formerly fitting cloths,and jeans turning into torn knickers.....

In the week since, I've bought a home, won a Big bass contest at the county fair outdoorsman days, helped yung hungwell tile a floor, mowed 30 acres of brush, fixed my boat and took the family for an hour cruise this evening.

Moving doesn't always suck.

I'm also working on a family member's house project and need someone to tell me the secret to getting this God Foresaken Vine refuse off of stucko! No, a power washer will not do the job.

The saga continues.

Frazod
07-22-2007, 08:45 PM
This time, I'm kinda blending the two. I've been slowly but surely hauling bits and pieces to my new place. Then, when a bunch of my friends are around next weekend, we'll just haul all the big stuff in a UHaul real quick. It's not bad, but I'm certainly getting tired of driving back and forth.

That's a good approach. As you get older, and accummulate more stuff and more money, you'll begin to hire movers. You'll also begin to not want to help other people move anymore once you've paid back those who helped you (personally, all my markers are finally in and no further moving assistance for anyone will be forthcoming). But for now, buddies + beer + pizza should do the trick.

luv
07-22-2007, 08:52 PM

6-18 months - Callao, MO
16 - Lee's Summit, MO
23-24 - Waukegan, IL

Definitely have me beat.

0-18 = Springfield (3 different places)
18-27 = Springfield and surrounding towns (10 different places)
27-30 = Springfield (2 different places)

I was a nomad for about 10 years. I could practically put everything I owned in my car up until I was about 25. I even slept in my car for a week (didn't count that as a place though) when I was 18. Lived in 15 different places, but really only "moved" three times (moving meaning carrying actual furniture).

Smed1065
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
0-18 Indep.
18-20 Orlando, FL.
20-25 Indep. MO.
26-31 Laughlin, NV.
31-32 Auburn, AL.
32-34 S.C. AL. Korea.
35-41 Atlanta

Dunit35
07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
0-19 ML, KS
19-20, Hays, KS
20-21, Alva, OK
21-?, Oklahoma city, OK

I've lived in this shitty apartment for three months, moving out on the 1st.

DenverChief
07-22-2007, 11:57 PM

6-18 months - Callao, MO
16 - Lee's Summit, MO
23-24 - Waukegan, IL

Prepare to be

76-88 Parents Shawnee, KS
88-96 Parents Boulder, CO
96-97 U.S. Army Ft. Knox
97-98 U.S. Army Korea
98-99 U.S. Army California
99-00 Townhouse Boulder, CO
00-02 Apt Denver, CO
02-04 Apt #2 Denver, CO
04-05 Apt #3 Denver, CO
05-05 Condo Aurora, CO
05-05 Apt #4 Denver, CO
05-06 Condo #2 Denver, CO
06-06 Apt #5 Aurora, CO
06-06 Townhouse #2 Aurora, CO
06-Present house Boulder, CO

I have moved once for every two years I have lived :cuss:

Frazod
07-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Prepare to be

76-88 Parents Shawnee, KS
88-96 Parents Boulder, CO
96-97 U.S. Army Ft. Knox
97-98 U.S. Army Korea
98-99 U.S. Army California
99-00 Townhouse Boulder, CO
00-02 Apt Denver, CO
02-04 Apt #2 Denver, CO
04-05 Apt #3 Denver, CO
05-05 Condo Aurora, CO
05-05 Apt #4 Denver, CO
05-06 Condo #2 Denver, CO
06-06 Apt #5 Aurora, CO
06-06 Townhouse #2 Aurora, CO
06-Present house Boulder, CO

I have moved once for every two years I have lived :cuss:

In some of the towns I lived in multiple places, so I've got you beat.

If you count every single move (granted, some only involved carrying a seabag on my back, but a move is a move) I've moved 32 times.

DenverChief
07-23-2007, 12:05 AM
In some of the towns I lived in multiple places, so I've got you beat.

If you count every single move (granted, some only involved carrying a seabag on my back, but a move is a move) I've moved 32 times.

yeah I left out some "minor" moves like times I stayed at my parents house for a couple of weeks while I was finding a place to live/work after the army or in between places...or that fuggen barracks I had to stay at after basic while everyone else went to their duty station I had to stay behind because the fugged up my orders and I got put in with a buncha recycles :grr:

DomerNKC
07-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Amateurs. If anybody's moved more than me, I'll be I moved more in my first year in the business.