PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter fans!

Saulbadguy
07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Who has finished the book yet? I'm so disappointed - not in the ending, but how there will be no more of them.

Deberg_1990
07-22-2007, 06:37 PM
I wonder why Rowlings decided to end her cash cow??

Not that she needed any more money....

VonneMarie
Dork.

Bowser
So, was redrum full of shit, or telling the truth? PM me the answer, I'll just wait for the movie......

Phobia
Heh.

Hammock Parties
I wonder why Rowlings decided to end her cash cow??

Not that she needed any more money....

She's probably sick of it all by now. I'm picking up my copy tomorrow.

Saulbadguy
07-22-2007, 06:38 PM
So, was redrum full of shit, or telling the truth? PM me the answer, I'll just wait for the movie......
Full of shit.

Eric
07-22-2007, 07:10 PM
I haven't read any of the books.

Why do you like them so much?

The first movie was ok and then they got old.

Mr. Plow
07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm a fan of the movies, but not the books. I can't read, so the books are insulting to me.

Chiefspants
07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
The books take you to a different world. I finished it on the first day. The final book was incredible

Redrum_69
07-22-2007, 07:42 PM
And you guys got worked up over nothing

way to go, dumbasses

Saulbadguy
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I haven't read any of the books.

Why do you like them so much?

The first movie was ok and then they got old.
They are well written and the characters are well developed.

DJay23
07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Something about little kids waving sticks at each other shouting magic spells doesn't do it for me. The movies are entertaining, but I can't read the books. I know a lot of people are into it though, which is cool that so many people (kids in particular) are excited to read a book in this age of video games.

Does anyone else wonder why, with all of the money they invest in those movies, they don't get that kid who plays Harry some acting lessons?

Felch83
07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
LMAO at grown men reading this crap.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Something about little kids waving sticks at each other shouting magic spells doesn't do it for me.

This is a gross generalization. In fact, the first time this REALLY happens is in Book 5.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2007, 08:00 PM

You probably won't care for them if you've destroyed your inner child. I feel sorry for anyone that has.

Saulbadguy
07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Something about little kids waving sticks at each other shouting magic spells doesn't do it for me. The movies are entertaining, but I can't read the books. I know a lot of people are into it though, which is cool that so many people (kids in particular) are excited to read a book in this age of video games.

I really can't remember the last time any book or series of books created this much stir. 7 books, which in turn will make 7 movies. How many series are there that have 7 movies, that have done as well (and will continue to do so) as Harry Potter? I'd say JK Rowling has created a masterpiece.

Dartgod
07-22-2007, 08:11 PM
I haven't read any of the books (and probably won't) but I do like the movies. We saw the new one today and it was very good. Probably my favorite of the series.

donkhater
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I've finished and thought it was very very good. I made fun of my wife when she started reading them. Then she told me that if I picked up the first book and read 2-3 chapters I wouldn't be able to put them down. She was right.

These are hardly just 'children's books'. If you get that impression from the movies (which suck IMHO) you are sadly mistaken. I can't imagine a 7-10 year old reading and comprehending most of what's in this final book.

But I suppose playing videos games are more mature?

donkhater
07-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I haven't read any of the books (and probably won't) but I do like the movies. We saw the new one today and it was very good. Probably my favorite of the series.
DO yourself a favor and read the books. You will not be disappointed. they are a VERY fast read. It won't take you long.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
DO yourself a favor and read the books. You will not be disappointed. they are a VERY fast read. It won't take you long.

Yep. Totally engrossing. I checked them all out from the library and read them all in like two weeks. There was so much great stuff in Order of the Phoenix that got taken out in the movie. They barely scratched the surface of Sirius' house and his elf.

Dave Lane
07-22-2007, 08:37 PM
The books take you to a different world. I finished it on the first day. The final book was incredible

Are you a girl or 12?

Dave

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Does Hermoine get naked in the final book?

donkhater
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I think it's funny. People who haven't read the books putting them down like they are kiddy books. I'll say this: the themes Rowling uses in this series are much more developed and mature than say, Star Wars.

I suppose that since the book's central characters are children and it's about magic, its easy for people who haven't read the books to poke fun.

DaFace
07-22-2007, 09:18 PM
If the books were entirely designed for kids, I doubt they'd be as dark as they are. The movies are rated PG-13! That surprised me when I noticed it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I think it's funny. People who haven't read the books putting them down like they are kiddy books. I'll say this: the themes Rowling uses in this series are much more developed and mature than say, Star Wars.

I suppose that since the book's central characters are children and it's about magic, its easy for people who haven't read the books to poke fun.
Since when has not knowing what the hell you're talking about stopped people?

Smed1065
07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm a fan of the movies, but not the books. I can't read, so the books are insulting to me.

So is being human towards road workers............Obviously.

:)

Valiant
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought the ending sucked.. She should have not buckled to peer pressure..

Ebolapox
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I liked the last book better than any of the other books... she tied everything together in a way that she could, in theory, write more books, but doesn't have to (and has come out publicly saying she won't write any more anyway)

masterful work

Amnorix
07-22-2007, 10:22 PM

You no doubt limit yourself to Shakespeare?

It's entertainment, schmuck. That's it. It's popcorn for the brain.

Oh Snap
07-22-2007, 10:27 PM
isnt that a pretty thick book? and its only been out a few days?

oh...and i dont read that shit.. i have better thigns to be doing such as getting laid. with a girl!

DJay23
07-22-2007, 11:13 PM
This is a gross generalization. In fact, the first time this REALLY happens is in Book 5.
You're being far too technical for a lay person on the subject to really see where you are coming from. From what I've seen in the movies, it seems to be a pretty pervasive theme.

Kid in trouble

Kid waves stick

Kid says fakey Latin charm

Something good/bad happens

petegz28
07-22-2007, 11:56 PM
You're being far too technical for a lay person on the subject to really see where you are coming from. From what I've seen in the movies, it seems to be a pretty pervasive theme.

Kid in trouble

Kid waves stick

Kid says fakey Latin charm

Something good/bad happens

Well you should read them before you run the trap. By books 3 & 4 more adult themes and things such as politics creep into story. There is a lot more to it than a kid running around with a stick.

DJay23
07-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Well you should read them before you run the trap. By books 3 & 4 more adult themes and things such as politics creep into story. There is a lot more to it than a kid running around with a stick.
Bullshit. I'm not going to waste all of that time just to see if I was right about the stick waving. I've seen the movies, they're entertaining but a little hokie, so I'm not investing all of that time and energy into them when I could be reading a book about WWII or something that interests me.

Saulbadguy
07-23-2007, 06:48 AM
when I could be reading a book about WWII or something that interests me.
The only difference there is bigger sticks. :hmmm:

donkhater
07-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Bullshit. I'm not going to waste all of that time just to see if I was right about the stick waving. I've seen the movies, they're entertaining but a little hokie, so I'm not investing all of that time and energy into them when I could be reading a book about WWII or something that interests me.
The movies suck. They ARE way too hokie. They leave out and change so much of the book to fit it into the 2 hr slot that I hardly recognize the book the movie is based on.

If the movies are what you are basing your opinion of the books on, then you have been misinformed.

Amnorix
07-23-2007, 07:12 AM

So you're critiquing books without having read them, because you already know what they're about (or think you know)?

You're also stating that you're not interested in the subject matter, because it's a waste of time and energy, but you're on THIS thread, entitled Harry Potter, spouting off about something you haven't even read?

We're, ummm, sorry to have wasted your time then. Thanks for your thoughts. They were mighty useful...

Saulbadguy
07-23-2007, 07:29 AM
The movies suck. They ARE way too hokie. They leave out and change so much of the book to fit it into the 2 hr slot that I hardly recognize the book the movie is based on.

If the movies are what you are basing your opinion of the books on, then you have been misinformed.
I don't think i've ever seen a movie that has been good as the book.

Fire Me Boy!
07-23-2007, 07:41 AM
I don't think i've ever seen a movie that has been good as the book.
I'd argue that The Godfather is as good a film as the novel by Puzo. I'm a huge fan of both and I think both gave something to the story the other didn't.

Felch83
07-23-2007, 08:01 AM
You no doubt limit yourself to Shakespeare?

It's entertainment, schmuck. That's it. It's popcorn for the brain.

I know its entertainment, but I cant find entertainment from pre-pubed wizards. Just not my thing.

I prefer Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis novels. Much more grown up. Potter is for kids.

InChiefsHeaven
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I know its entertainment, but I cant find entertainment from pre-pubed wizards. Just not my thing.

I prefer Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis novels. Much more grown up. Potter is for kids.

Incorrect. I used to think so, then I read them, and it's so much more that "pre-pubed wizards". :rolleyes:

Meh, to each their own. I think it is some of the greatest literature of our time.

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Potter is for kids.

When you say that, you make it sound like they are thin young adult novels. They're not.

Tolkien once said "The Hobbit" was for kids, too.

Amnorix
07-23-2007, 08:20 AM

For the record, before Harry Potter 7, I read the Campaigns of Alexander, by the Roman historian Arrian.

Until you've read it, kindly don't pass judgment on the juvenile nature of the books, or the lack thereof. Not having read it, you simply do not have any idea of the themes that are in the book, albeit based in a setting in which teenagers wield pointy sticks.

Brock
07-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Literary snobs, especially when they read crap like that, are funny.

Fire Me Boy!
07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
For the record, before Harry Potter 7, I read the Campaigns of Alexander, by the Roman historian Arrian.

Until you've read it, kindly don't pass judgment on the juvenile nature of the books, or the lack thereof. Not having read it, you simply do not have any idea of the themes that are in the book, albeit based in a setting in which teenagers wield pointy sticks.
I haven't read, but agree 100 percent with you. I equate this with the uproar about The Last Temptation of Christ before it came out. Everyone was saying it was blasphemy and such... people that say that either haven't seen it or didn't understand it.

InChiefsHeaven
07-23-2007, 08:50 AM
I haven't read, but agree 100 percent with you. I equate this with the uproar about The Last Temptation of Christ before it came out. Everyone was saying it was blasphemy and such... people that say that either haven't seen it or didn't understand it.

Exactly. The Last Temptation is blasphemous if it were touted as truth. But in the beginning of the movie, it pretty much says that this story is loosely based on scripture and it is a fictional account. What it didn't tell you was that it was way too long and pretty much sucked ass, but I don't suppose they're going to say that about their own movie...

Eleazar
07-23-2007, 08:56 AM

I agree with you about that. I saw the film a couple of years ago and thought it was ok. It was like... fan fiction.

Fire Me Boy!
07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Exactly. The Last Temptation is blasphemous if it were touted as truth. But in the beginning of the movie, it pretty much says that this story is loosely based on scripture and it is a fictional account. What it didn't tell you was that it was way too long and pretty much sucked ass, but I don't suppose they're going to say that about their own movie...
I disagree with you there. I love that film.

InChiefsHeaven
07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I disagree with you there. I love that film.

Again, to each his own. I thought Dafoe sucked, the only reason to watch the movie was Harvey Keitel as Judas. It just seemed to me that they were going for shock factor...as in "lets see how many Christians we can piss off with this movie". But as I said, the only saving grace for me was that it was not presented as actually factual in any way, so I gave it a pass on content. I just felt it was way to long and that Dafoe sucked in it. Of course, I'm not a big fan of his anyway, so I suppose I had a bit of a bias there.

irishjayhawk
07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Phew, stupid internet problems wouldn't let me log on. I finished Saturday.

Loved the book and it was easily the best of the 7.

I only wish:
a) there had been more Ginny
b) There was still another book to come (or the book lasted 2000 pages).

InChiefsHeaven
07-23-2007, 01:21 PM
I should have this thing done by tomorrow evening at the latest. Life keeps getting in the way, doncha know...

RealSNR
07-23-2007, 01:21 PM

I prefer Chuck Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis novels. Much more grown up. Potter is for kids.Yep. I agree. And add Nora Roberts, John Sandford, and Dean Koontz to the list of proper "fine literature" that intellectual men and women should read instead of Harry Potter. :rolleyes:

This is my biggest pet peeve about critics of HP. It's literature, and people will like and dislike different things. Perhaps you don't like the fantasy genre in general, or you hate the way they're written. Maybe you hate lengthy books. But to automatically dismiss them as childish and then hold up what you read as "real" adult literature is just plain ****ing dumb.

petegz28
07-23-2007, 01:22 PM

Hmm for someone who hasn't read the books WTF do you know?

Silock
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Great ending to a great series. I especially liked the way the whole thing came full circle in the way that things that happened back in the 1st book were still very important at the very end of the last one. Genius. Needed more Ginny, for sure. That part felt kinda "tacked on," but the rest was brilliance.

teedubya
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
i read the synapsis on Wikipedia.

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
i read the synapsis on Wikipedia.

The synapses?

Felch83
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Yep. I agree. And add Nora Roberts, John Sandford, and Dean Koontz to the list of proper "fine literature" that intellectual men and women should read instead of Harry Potter. :rolleyes:

This is my biggest pet peeve about critics of HP. It's literature, and people will like and dislike different things. Perhaps you don't like the fantasy genre in general, or you hate the way they're written. Maybe you hate lengthy books. But to automatically dismiss them as childish and then hold up what you read as "real" adult literature is just plain ****ing dumb.

No need to get your feelings hurt. If you want to read a childrens' book, by all means read it.

I, for one, like to challange myself when I am reading a book. Harry Potter is too easy of a read...hence its made for kids. I like Fight Club, Choke, American Psycho, The Rules of Attraction, Invisible Monster etc. Now those are great reads.

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
I, for one, like to challenge myself by going onto an internet bulletin board, finding a thread about a series of books I've never even read, and declaring my clear superiority over everyone who has.

DaFace
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
No need to get your feelings hurt. If you want to read a childrens' book, by all means read it.

I, for one, like to challange myself when I am reading a book. Harry Potter is too easy of a read...hence its made for kids. I like Fight Club, Choke, American Psycho, The Rules of Attraction, Invisible Monster etc. Now those are great reads.

Those are too easy for me. I prefer the encyclopedia.

Dawson4004
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Challenge yourself? Wow. What makes those books more "challenging"? Because the main characters are adults? because it deals with wars? or just because it deals with "adult stuff".

Please let me in on this challenging stuff you know so much about. I always thought a book was suppose to entertain as well as inform....but challenge...did it take you a while to read them? the characters really developed? please please let me know what you mean by "challenge yourself?

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Those are too easy for me. I prefer the encyclopedia.

**** that shit bring on the dead sea scrolls.

Eleazar
07-23-2007, 03:53 PM
This thread is tardapalooza.

Felch83
07-23-2007, 04:04 PM
Challenge yourself? Wow. What makes those books more "challenging"? Because the main characters are adults? because it deals with wars? or just because it deals with "adult stuff".

Please let me in on this challenging stuff you know so much about. I always thought a book was suppose to entertain as well as inform....but challenge...did it take you a while to read them? the characters really developed? please please let me know what you mean by "challenge yourself?

Haha what I mean by challanging myself is its a more complex read. The characters and situations are more developed unlike Harry Potter, which again is a childrens book.

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 04:06 PM
The characters and situations are more developed .

How do you know?

Dawson4004
07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Haha what I mean by challanging myself is its a more complex read. The characters and situations are more developed unlike Harry Potter, which again is a childrens book.

Which shows your ignorance towards these books. Many more "qualified" critics talk about the depth at witch JK has developed the main characters. For you to speak about development of characters and plot and to completely disregard this series as not complex enough is ignorance. I would challenge you to read these books and then at the end of book seven tell me these books are not “complex”.

I would agree that the first two books are less "challenging" then your normal read, I would argue that the last 5 books are about as well developed characters as you are going to find.

You can not argue against something that you know nothing about. So please become more informed and then we can talk about how "challenging" these books are.

Felch83
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
How do you know?

Well, if you must know, I have talked to some friends I know that have read the Harry Potter books and they totally agree.

Are you actually saying Harry Potter is on the same level as Fight Club???? :shake:

Felch83
07-23-2007, 04:22 PM
LMAO at all the Harry Potter fanboys negative repping me.

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Well, if you must know, I have talked to some friends I know that have read the Harry Potter books and they totally agree.

Load of crap.

Eleazar
07-23-2007, 04:32 PM
LMAO at all the Harry Potter fanboys negative repping me.

I didn't neg rep you because I'm a fanboy. I neg repped you because you're acting like a retard.

Dawson4004
07-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Who has finished the book yet? I'm so disappointed - not in the ending, but how there will be no more of them.

To get back to the point.....I loved book 7 and I am with you wishing that there was more....kind of weird being done with it. But easily the best book....tied everything from 1-6 into 7 and man was it cool to see the three by themselves and see how much they have grown and how important each one is to each other....

Great book. wish there was another one.

Felch83
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Load of crap.

Yeah, it must be a load of crap. How on Earth can anyone hate Harry Potter?!?!?! ROFL

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Good grief:

Deathly Hallows Breaks Records

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final volume of J.K. Rowling's fantasy series, sold a record 8.3 million copies in its first 24 hours on sale in the United States, Scholastic Inc. reported to the Associated Press.

No other book, not even any of the six previous Potters, has sold so many books: It averaged more than 300,000 copies in sales per hour. The $34.99 book, even allowing for discounts, generated far more revenue than the opening weekend of the latest Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which came out July 10.

Deathly Hallows was released July 21 with a first printing of 12 million in the United States alone.

The book's British publisher, Bloomsbury, expects to announce sales figures on July 23.

Earlier on July 22, Borders Group Inc. reported that the book had sold 1.2 million copies worldwide in its first day, the biggest single-day number ever for the superstore chain.

Both Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble announced that pre-orders exceeded 1 million.

teedubya
07-23-2007, 06:11 PM
The synapses?

Too bad being a spelling nazi doesn't help you write non-crappy football articles.

Hammock Parties
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Too bad being a spelling nazi doesn't help you write non-crappy football articles.

No, my highly advanced sports brain takes care of that. Being a spelling nazi just puts some BLING on it.

1ChiefsDan
07-23-2007, 07:17 PM
isnt that a pretty thick book? and its only been out a few days?

oh...and i dont read that shit.. i have better thigns to be doing such as getting laid. with a girl!So you spend time and money on a blow up doll - but not reading. Cool!ROFL

Silock
07-24-2007, 01:56 AM

All that complex reading seems to have no effect whatsoever on your ability to spell correctly, though. Maybe you should start off with something simpler.

Silock
07-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Are you actually saying Harry Potter is on the same level as Fight Club???? :shake:

Yeah, because the over-the-top anti-consumerism vibe was so hard to pick out. Have you ever even read another of Chuck Palahniuk's works? Fight Club is, by far, the least complex and challenging. It's not even his best work.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2007, 09:08 AM
was afraid to open this thread until i had actually finished the book. :)

but anyway ....... they sure wrapped things up really fast in the epilogue. Would of been nice to see something a little more complete.

overall a good book!! :thumb:

InChiefsHeaven
08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Apparently she is going to write an encyclopedia of Harry Potter or something like that. It will answer all questions and probably add more background.

She also said on her website that Harry wound up being the Head of the Auror department under the Minister, Shackelbolt. Ron went into the joke business with George. A couple other things I can't remember.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
i don't see why she couldn't do a Harry potter 'Next generation' set of books now.

she set the ground work for it.

InChiefsHeaven
08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Nah. The story is over. If she's smart she'll leave it alone. No sense getting greedy and screwing it all up reaching for something.

Valiant
08-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Just do like the Dune series..

Harry Potter: The Children of Harry Potter..

Could have the siblings become ying and yang of good and evil.. They could kill Potter and Ron, oh the fun..

petegz28
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Actually I heard she is going to do some sort of Harry Potter Encyclopedia. For those of you who are Tolkein fans it is supposed to be similar to the "Book of Unfinished Tales"....or at least that is how I understand it

Logical
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Just finished the series and this is the greatest series of books I have ever read. Simply beyond amazing.

I thought nothing would ever surpass the Tom Clancy series but I was wrong.

Ebolapox
08-02-2007, 10:28 PM
I liked the series, but I'm not sure what tom clancy writes is comparable to what rowling writes.

Silock
08-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I liked the series, but I'm not sure what tom clancy writes is comparable to what rowling writes.

No kidding. Talk about an apples to oranges comparison.

ClevelandBronco
08-03-2007, 12:25 AM
When you see people comparing apples to oranges you'd better believe it's only a matter of time before Logical walks in with a kumquat.

Amnorix
08-03-2007, 05:20 AM
First off -- everyone who thinks that the Potter books are kids books, etc., and is just here to criticize -- go back to your boring little lives with no imagination and stop being dicks.

For the rest of us, JK Rowling has had several interviews regarding the epilogue and other matters THAT ARE FULL OF SPOILERS so don't read this until you have read book 7.

A Net Interview transcript:

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/full_story/1156

NBC interview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20001720/

Amnorix
08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
No kidding. Talk about an apples to oranges comparison.

:shrug: Why? It's all just entertainment. Not like you're comparing the Harry Potter books to the car you drive ro something....

donkhater
08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
:shrug: Why? It's all just entertainment. Not like you're comparing the Harry Potter books to the car you drive ro something....
I don't think he meant it as an offense. The two books are just different genres and set in two different worlds. One is comepletely part of someone's imagination and the other is based on modern day technologies and situations.

Amnorix
08-03-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't think he meant it as an offense. The two books are just different genres and set in two different worlds. One is comepletely part of someone's imagination and the other is based on modern day technologies and situations.

I suppose. I read it as Logical's *formerly* favorite series of novels was the Tom Clancy novels regarding Jack Ryan, and he thinks Harry Potter has taken the lead as his favorite books.

I liked the Jack Ryan series just fine, but I'd also take Potter over them. But I'd take Lord of the Rings over either as my all-time favorite fiction reading.

Chiefnj2
08-03-2007, 07:41 AM
She also said on her website that Harry wound up being the Head of the Auror department under the Minister, Shackelbolt. Ron went into the joke business with George. A couple other things I can't remember.

Apparently Ginny and Hermione fell on hard times and had to work at Gringhooters performing their amazing disappearing wand tricks.

The final book dragged on a bit in the middle. My biggest disappointment was that Neville should have been the one to kill or drive Bellatrix insande. He should have gotten revenge for his parents.

Ebolapox
08-03-2007, 01:57 PM
I suppose. I read it as Logical's *formerly* favorite series of novels was the Tom Clancy novels regarding Jack Ryan, and he thinks Harry Potter has taken the lead as his favorite books.

I liked the Jack Ryan series just fine, but I'd also take Potter over them. But I'd take Lord of the Rings over either as my all-time favorite fiction reading.

I interpreted it a bit differently (not a whole lot different), but to me, as much as I loved clancy's 'jack ryan' series, and ALSO enjoyed rowling's 'harry potter' books, they're both so different that I can't really pick a favorite of the two. that's like asking who I'd like to have sex with more: the hot blonde with the big titties, or the hot brunette with average titties, better ass, and she does anal.