PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs agree to terms with two draft picks; Bowe still unsigned

Smed1065
07-23-2007, 03:19 PM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs agreed to contract terms with two more draft picks, third-round defensive tackle Tank Tyler and sixth-round offensive lineman Herb Taylor.

The agent for each player said his client agreed to terms of a three-year contract.

Still without agreements were first-round wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, second-round defensive lineman Turk McBride and fifth-round kicker Justin Medlock.

The Chiefs also continued to work on a contract extension for running back Larry Johnson. The sides were still far from an agreement, making Johnson unlikely to be with the Chiefs on Thursday when they leave for training camp in River Falls, Wis., or Friday, when they will practice for the first time.

The Chiefs previously signed two of their seven draft picks, fifth-round running back Kolby Smith and seventh-round tight end Michael Allan.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/201439.html

boogblaster
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM
Sign um up and play ball Carl ....

DMAC
07-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Same thing every year.

Direckshun
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey.... love it. :D

Plenty of time to get McBride and Medlock.

Bowe will almost certainly be a hold out -- question is whether or not it'll hurt him to the point of knocking him out of starting WR, and if it does, can Parker hold off Webb/Hannon?

[Edit: Got that reversed, my bad.]

DaneMcCloud
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Same thing every year.

For every team in the NFL.

GoHuge
07-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Sign um up and play ball Carl ....Is it me or are the Chiefs really draggin ass on getting these guys signed? Carl must really be into the Royals right now :)

Hammock Parties
Chiefs fans know how important it is to get rookie defensive tackles in camp on time.

RealSNR
Awesome. Leave the rookies we need most this season for last. Turk and Bowe could really use that extra practice time. The world won't end if Medlock doesn't show up on time, sure, but for ****'s sake, get them in!

the Talking Can
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Bowe likely isn't signing until several people above him set the bar...we're waiting for other teams to get their contracts done...not much Carl can do about that

DMAC
07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Bowe likely isn't signing until several people above him set the bar...we're waiting for other teams to get their contracts done...not much Carl can do about thatAnd they are all waiting too.

Everybody is waiting for everybody else. This is the way it goes every season.

ct
07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Only 3 1st round picks have signed (Simmons, Staley, Olsen) so don't worry just yet.

EDIT: Make that 4, Craig Davis has been signed. Unless I've missed someone else?

Stinger
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
And they are all waiting too.

Yep .... Although I do think this might be the latest for all teams. I have not heard of any signicant signings of any teams. Usally by this time we usally have some signings to get the players into camp. But not even any sloting in the first round has happened yet I believe.

crazycoffey
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
we'll be fine

RustShack
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Craig Davis is close, the other LSU reciever drafted by SD.

dirk digler
07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Only 3 1st round picks have signed (Simmons, Staley, Olsen) so don't worry just yet.

EDIT: Make that 4, Craig Davis has been signed. Unless I've missed someone else?

Yep this isn't CP's fault. I hate the way the NFL does rookie contracts they need to clone what the NBA does with rookies. Those guys are signed within week after the draft.

htismaqe
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Nothing to see here, move along.

the Talking Can
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Yep this isn't CP's fault. I hate the way the NFL does rookie contracts they need to clone what the NBA does with rookies. Those guys are signed within week after the draft.

i wish they did it that way too..but the players would never go for it, not sure how the NBA got that deal...saves everyone a big headache

Valiant
07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Bowe likely isn't signing until several people above him set the bar...we're waiting for other teams to get their contracts done...not much Carl can do about that

Ditto

Valiant
07-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Except for that Asian from China.. China wants him in another city or he will go back, I guess Milwaukee or wherever does not have enough Asian population to market for..

Skyy God
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

I'd wager the slot below him is more important. Quinn's inflated numbers won't ultimately be the measuring stick.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Well, the #28, #30, and #31 picks are all signed and so is the #15 pick. It seems like we should have at least somewhat of an idea as to what Bowe will be getting. And that #31 pick that signed is Craig Davis, another WR, so that should also help in the negotiations.

CoMoChief
07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Ethan Locke will screw us.

Alphaman
07-23-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd wager the slot below him is more important. Quinn's inflated numbers won't ultimately be the measuring stick.

Quinn's numbers won't impact Carl, but Bowe's agent will try to exploit it. That being said, Quinn should not get more than his slotted spot. The entirety of the NFL valued this guy at far less than he was projected. It's disappointing for him, but definitely reality.

dirk digler
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
i wish they did it that way too..but the players would never go for it, not sure how the NBA got that deal...saves everyone a big headache

Yep. NFL rookies got it good IMO. 1st round draft choices make alot more money than most veterans and they haven't earned it.

2bikemike
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
And they are all waiting too.

It seems to me that this season the signings are later than usual.

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 04:49 PM
It seems to me that this season the signings are later than usual.Seems like that to me as well.

2bikemike
07-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Yeah the NFL system is fugged. That being said it's not changing anytime soon.

noa
07-23-2007, 04:55 PM
It would be great to get LJ and Bowe done quickly to give Croyle as many weapons as possible for training camp.

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
For every team in the NFL.

Exactly.

Felch83
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
we'll be fine

We always are! :rolleyes: :shake:

Demonpenz
07-23-2007, 05:10 PM
need to get bowe into camp to learn him to catch the ball with his hands and not let it bounce off of his chest

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I think a 3 year contract is a little short for Tank.

cdcox
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I think a 3 year contract is a little short for Tank.

I noticed the 3-yr contracts. That seems a little short for a rookie contract. I that typical for a 3rd round draft choice?

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I noticed the 3-yr contracts. That seems a little short for a rookie contract. I that typical for a 3rd round draft choice?

It is not normal, the way I remember it, usually we go longer with the contracts . Is Carl just signing them until the end of his contract? Heck, Jared Allen's was four for a 4th round pick, right?

Hydrae
07-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I have to think this is the result of the new agreement from last year. It was late enough in the year that the new cap numbers didn't have a huge affect on signings but now we see every team approaching this gingerly.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
this is the biggest load of elephant dung you've ever heard.

and elephant crap a small truckload at a time.

EVERY year some player sets the market out of sequence ...... it NEVER goes in numerical order ...... NEVER.

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM

Or, maybe Carl has grown weary of early round DL busts. Maybe he is taking the "Show Me" approach.

OnTheWarpath15
07-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Or, maybe Carl has grown weary of early round DL busts. Maybe he taking the "Show Me" approach.

I wonder if his off-field issues at NCST contribute to this as well.

If McBride gets a longer-term deal, it may answer the question.....

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm too lazy to do any searching or googling atm, but I think the shorter contracts have been a trend the last couple or three years, with picks out of the round 1-2 range.

the Talking Can
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
this is the biggest load of elephant dung you've ever heard.

and elephant crap a small truckload at a time.

EVERY year some player sets the market out of sequence ...... it NEVER goes in numerical order ...... NEVER.

thanks brainiac, we didn't know that....

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 05:40 PM
It is not normal, the way I remember it, usually we go longer with the contracts . Is Carl just signing them until the end of his contract? Heck, Jared Allen's was four for a 4th round pick, right?

No.

Why do you think Jared Allen was an RFA this offseason? Only players who sign 3 year deals as rookies become RFA's.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Not really. McBride was a 2nd round pick and Tyler was a 3rd. Of course McBride will get a longer contract and more money. McBride will likely sign a 4 year deal.

RustShack
07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Might as well sign them to shorter contracts, they will just hold out for more money before it ends anyways.

RustShack
07-23-2007, 05:44 PM
The St. Petersburg Times reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be close to a contract agreement with first-round draft choice DE Gaines Adams.

Deberg_1990
07-23-2007, 05:57 PM
OMG!! The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling!!!

Mr. Laz
thanks brainiac, we didn't know that....
then why did you say it?

unless my dam sarcas-o-meter is on the fritz again. :banghead:

FAX
I honestly thought Bowe would sign today. My bad.

Who is Bowe's agent? Anyone know?

FAX

the Talking Can
07-23-2007, 06:04 PM
then why did you say it?

unless my dam sarcas-o-meter is on the fritz again. :banghead:

because it has nothing to do with my point...Carl can't make a player sign if that player is waiting to see $$$$ slotting....

but feel free to keep yelling if it makes you feel better...

Chief Roundup
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I read somewhere that there was a max of 4 years on all rookie contracts somewhere.

Chief Roundup
07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I honestly thought Bowe would sign today. My bad.

Who is Bowe's agent? Anyone know?

FAX
I believe that it is Ethan Locke which is the agent that got the STFU and STFD from Carl.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
because it has nothing to do with my point...Carl can't make a player sign if that player is waiting to see $$$$ slotting....

but feel free to keep yelling if it makes you feel better...
lol .... poor carl, such a victim

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
lol .... poor carl, such a victimNothing to do with being a victim. You give Carl more power than he has. It's a two-way dance; if an agent isn't willing to let his client sign yet because he thinks it will be beneficial long-term to wait, nothing Carl or any other GM does is going to change his mind (other than, of course, overpaying). And the reverse is also true...

Point being, if Carl wants the best deal, and the agent wants the best deal, then the contract will not be signed quickly.

Eventually both sides will acknowledge they need to give, and it'll be done.

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
No.

Why do you think Jared Allen was an RFA this offseason? Only players who sign 3 year deals as rookies become RFA's.

You need to work on your math n00b! This 2007 season is Jared Allen's RFA year, his fourth.

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 06:43 PM

That could be it, as well.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Nothing to do with being a victim. You give Carl more power than he has. It's a two-way dance; if an agent isn't willing to let his client sign yet because he thinks it will be beneficial long-term to wait, nothing Carl or any other GM does is going to change his mind (other than, of course, overpaying). And the reverse is also true...

Point being, if Carl wants the best deal, and the agent wants the best deal, then the contract will not be signed quickly.

Eventually both sides will acknowledge they need to give, and it'll be done.
over the years, thousands of different players with hundreds of different agents.

guess what ..... people follow trends for a reason

a thousand STFD and STFU's later and you keep drinking the kool-aid :toast:

go bo
07-23-2007, 08:22 PM
need to get bowe into camp to learn him to catch the ball with his hands and not let it bounce off of his chesthe wasn't drafted to catch the ball, he's a downfield blocker in the running game and a very good one...

he's also a wr...

a pretty fair one, if reports can be believed...

i'm even thinking of changing my user name to go bowe...

that's how much i like this kid...

herm may not be tom landry, but he sure can draft...

KCChiefsMan
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
man I have a good feeling about Tank Tyler, glad he's signed and red to go

keg in kc
07-23-2007, 08:50 PM
over the years, thousands of different players with hundreds of different agents.

guess what ..... people follow trends for a reason

a thousand STFD and STFU's later and you keep drinking the kool-aid :One man's kool-aid is another man's harsh reality.

The harsh reality here is that, number 1, not many first round picks have signed, and, number two, there actually are agents involved with contract negotations, regardless of how much you or I might wish it was like Madden. And some of those agents clearly believe it's in their clients' best interests to proceed slowly.

You want to make this about Carl and only Carl. I don't. There's a bigger picture, and seeing that has nothing to do with liking or disliking the man or his two decades of mediocrity.

I guess he could just cave to Locke and give Bowe whatever he wants.

I think that's a great solution! Don't you?

HemiEd
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
he wasn't drafted to catch the ball, he's a downfield blocker in the running game and a very good one...

he's also a wr...

Good idea!

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
You need to work on your math n00b! This 2007 season is Jared Allen's RFA year, his fourth.

WRONG

Restricted free agents are those who signed 3 year contracts as rookies. Jared Allen has played in the NFL for 3 years and is now under contract with a one year RFA tender.

I think you are the one who needs to do your math.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 10:23 PM
he wasn't drafted to catch the ball, he's a downfield blocker in the running game and a very good one...

he's also a wr...

Bullcrap.

He is our future #1 wide receiver, not just a blocker. He compares favorably to guys like Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, and Michael Irvin.

If we want somebody out wide who can block we can split Kris Wilson out wide. Bowe is not just a downfield blocker. He was drafted to improve the WR corps.

greg63
07-23-2007, 10:39 PM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs agreed to contract terms with two more draft picks, third-round defensive tackle Tank Tyler and sixth-round offensive lineman Herb Taylor.

The agent for each player said his client agreed to terms of a three-year contract.

Still without agreements were first-round wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, second-round defensive lineman Turk McBride and fifth-round kicker Justin Medlock.

The Chiefs also continued to work on a contract extension for running back Larry Johnson. The sides were still far from an agreement, making Johnson unlikely to be with the Chiefs on Thursday when they leave for training camp in River Falls, Wis., or Friday, when they will practice for the first time.

The Chiefs previously signed two of their seven draft picks, fifth-round running back Kolby Smith and seventh-round tight end Michael Allan.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/201439.html

Welcome the Ryan Sims of our receiving corps.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Welcome the Ryan Sims of our receiving corps.

And since only four 1st round pick have signed so far I guess 28 other teams have the "Ryan Sims" of their team.

chagrin
07-24-2007, 05:19 AM
That backup Turk better be good

HemiEd
07-24-2007, 05:45 AM
WRONG

Restricted free agents are those who signed 3 year contracts as rookies. Jared Allen has played in the NFL for 3 years and is now under contract with a one year RFA tender.

I think you are the one who needs to do your math.

Ok. I was under the impression that it was the last year of their Rookie contract, that was the RFA year.
So this means Tank will really be in the same position. We will have him locked up for 3 years, then a RFA year after that.
So essentially, they are really 4 year deals, unless someone wants to give up a 1st and a 3rd the last year. Right? Just wording.

chagrin
07-24-2007, 05:48 AM

Considering it was a no brainer to draft him, I'm disagree

HemiEd
07-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Bullcrap.

He is our future #1 wide receiver, not just a blocker. He compares favorably to guys like Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, and Michael Irvin.

If we want somebody out wide who can block we can split Kris Wilson out wide. Bowe is not just a downfield blocker. He was drafted to improve the WR corps.

ROFL It is common knowledge around here that Herm does not need WRs. He just needs blockers for the running game.

FAX
07-24-2007, 05:53 AM
I believe that it is Ethan Locke which is the agent that got the STFU and STFD from Carl.

Same agent as John Tait? Dang. Dang. Dang.

I can't believe it. Not only will Bowe hold out, he'll enter free agency and sign with another team as soon as he possibly can.

Farewell, Bowe. We hardly knew ye.

FAX

htismaqe
07-24-2007, 07:59 AM
ROFL

The season is over!

crazycoffey
07-24-2007, 08:21 AM
We always are! :rolleyes: :shake:

when it comes to signing rookies?
Yes we are always fine....

ct
07-24-2007, 08:47 AM
One man's kool-aid is another man's harsh reality.

The harsh reality here is that, number 1, not many first round picks have signed, and, number two, there actually are agents involved with contract negotations, regardless of how much you or I might wish it was like Madden. And some of those agents clearly believe it's in their clients' best interests to proceed slowly.

You want to make this about Carl and only Carl. I don't. There's a bigger picture, and seeing that has nothing to do with liking or disliking the man or his two decades of mediocrity.

I guess he could just cave to Locke and give Bowe whatever he wants.

I think that's a great solution! Don't you?

Blame Carl, blame the agent! What about the players? Too many fans seem to think it's in the player's best interest to sign as early as possible, with a good deal of course, so they can earn more PT earlier. I personally don't think they see it that way, at least not the majority of them. Getting an extra week to TC, and maybe earn some PT even a month earlier, is NOT worth as much as an extra 100 grand in their pocket, and the more extra $ they get the less that early PT means to them. jmo.

ct
07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
ROFL

The season is over!

The season was over months ago! Are you new here?