PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM
But I am a fat, fat dude. Like 6'5 and 400lbs of chub. What size bike should I buy? Or do they make them with that "payload"? I've never ridden one in my life, but I'm going through a 1/3 life crisis. Course at my size and me being a smoker it could be a 2/3 life crisis. Help!!!1!!1 I don't have much time left..........

Ugly Duck
07-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Don't do it.... the risk of serious injury is way too great. I'm taking x-rays now & the worst injuries are motorcycle accidents - bar none. Legs twisted up all kindsa ways, bone fragments protruding through skin. Arms with road rash that grinds deeply into bone. Severed spinal cords. Death. Don't do it, dood..... way too many bad or drunk drivers out there, and the motorcycle rider always loses the battle. Always.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Don't do it.... the risk of serious injury is way too great. I'm taking x-rays now & the worst injuries are motorcycle accidents - bar none. Legs twisted up all kindsa ways, bone fragments protruding through skin. Arms with road rash that grinds deeply into bone. Severed spinal cords. Death. Don't do it, dood..... way too many bad or drunk drivers out there, and the motorcycle rider always loses the battle. Always.

I appreciate the input. I know there's a lot of risk with riding bikes and I've never done it before. I'm not sure there are even any bikes that I can ride. Not in my price range anyway.

Eric
07-24-2007, 01:15 AM
http://www.ridingsun.com/files/ridingsun-scooterGuy.JPG

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2007, 01:18 AM
http://www.ridingsun.com/files/ridingsun-scooterGuy.JPG

I don't like that post. I think it somehow turns you on too. LMAO nice pic though. So basically, you're telling me my ass looks fat on that bike?

jaa1025
07-24-2007, 01:24 AM
But I am a fat, fat dude. Like 6'5 and 400lbs of chub. What size bike should I buy? Or do they make them with that "payload"? I've never ridden one in my life, but I'm going through a 1/3 life crisis. Course at my size and me being a smoker it could be a 2/3 life crisis. Help!!!1!!1 I don't have much time left..........

Just don't get a crotchrocket if your a getting a bike. I'd say a 1300cc+ size bike would be ok. I've got a friend that's pushing 300+ bills and he rides a Ninja and just looks funny riding it nor does it look safe. Infact, I'd say the heavier the bike the better for a guy your size.

I'd advise against getting one though. Get a sports car or something if you need to get over your 1/3 life crisis. I sold my Honda VTX 1300 and I'm glad I did it. A friend and my cousins boyfriend lost control of his Harley after hitting a patch of sand a couple weeks ago. He broke his T-10 vertebrate and is paralized from the chest down.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Just don't get a crotchrocket if your a getting a bike. I'd say a 1300cc+ size bike would be ok. I've got a friend that's pushing 300+ bills and he rides a Ninja and just looks funny riding it nor does it look safe. Infact, I'd say the heavier the bike the better for a guy your size.

I'd advise against getting one though. Get a sports car or something if you need to get over your 1/3 life crisis. I sold my Honda VTX 1300 and I'm glad I did it. A friend and my cousins boyfriend lost control of his Harley after hitting a patch of sand a couple weeks ago. He broke his T-10 vertebrate and is paralized from the chest down.

Definately lookin at crusiers. A crotch rocket would be a comedy act on wheels though. The crisis was more for comedy effect (I'm not very good, I know.) I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while now, just gettin serious about it though. In Seattle, you only have about 4 good months a year to ride. Welcome to the planet. Thanks for your input. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

jaa1025
07-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Definately lookin at crusiers. A crotch rocket would be a comedy act on wheels though. The crisis was more for comedy effect (I'm not very good, I know.) I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while now, just gettin serious about it though. In Seattle, you only have about 4 good months a year to ride. Welcome to the planet. Thanks for your input. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Thanks, I've been a lurker for quite awhile now:).

I actually took a motorcycle class about a year and a half ago and had to have a bike. I had never ridden before and it has always been a dream. So, I went to the local dealership and bought one. I called in sick the next day so I could ride. Within 18 hours after I bought it, I went to park and lost control of it. I jumped my curb and ran into my patio. I got tossed over the top into my wall. I ended up getting away with a few bruises and a shattered ego, but it definitely woke me up. I was (and still am a year later) the butt of a lot of jokes at work....hah.

I loved it though....the riding and not the accident ;).

Bob Dole
07-24-2007, 06:25 AM
Just make sure you take an approved rider safety course and get comfortable before you jump out in traffic.

While accidents unfortunately happen, Bob Dole sees too many that involve riders who had no business being on the road on a bike in the first place. Know your own limitations and assume every other driver on the road doesn't see you (or give a shit whether you're there), and your odds of having a serious accident are greatly reduced.

While it wasn't the case 20 years ago, Bob Dole now refuses to get on his if he's even borderline impaired, physically tired, or mentally distracted.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-24-2007, 06:28 AM
I'd go with one of those scooters that are so popular.

Radar Chief
07-24-2007, 06:45 AM
My recommendation is to find something else to occupy your time. Seriously, a guy your size is going to have to start on a big bike, most likely a cruiser or touring bike, and big bikes + newb rider = “splat” and/or “road rash”.
If you just absolutely have to do this, seek out and attend an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) “Beginners Course” first, it’ll even help on your insurance rates.

rockymtnchief
07-24-2007, 06:48 AM
I agree, definitely take a riding class. You'll learn about counter-steering, the importance of the front brakes, what to do if your tires lose traction in a turn, etc...

Skip Towne
07-24-2007, 06:52 AM
Don't do it. You ride them awhile then they ride you awhile.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-24-2007, 06:58 AM
You should really post a poll about this Flopnuts.

:D

StcChief
07-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Your size better get a Goldwing.

Rain Man
07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
While accidents unfortunately happen, Bob Dole sees too many that involve riders who had no business being on the road on a bike in the first place.

That would be me. I suspect that within 20 minutes of riding a motorcycle in traffic I would either imbedded in someone's windshield or ground up under their tires.

No way no how would I ride a motorcycle, even though it looks fun.

trndobrd
07-24-2007, 07:32 AM
What is your price range and what style to you like?

Your first stop is to go take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. They will let you use their bikes, so if you lay one down or decide the whole motorcycle thing is a bad idea, you are not out a bunch of cash.

Eleazar
07-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Take the MSF course. If you don't, you will wreck it.

Hell plenty of people at my MSF class crashed the MSF bike.

laser1972
07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I just recently learned to ride about 2 years ago, i didnt take the class, but used my friend's dirtbike on a field for 3 days, then bought a small Ninja 250, had that 3 months, just alittle too small (and i am only 155lbs and 5'8), move to a Katana 600, i dropped them once each, at a dead stop on a hill, balance was off..

Sold that this year and moved to a V-star 650cc. Best bike i have wever owned, the cruiser is the way to go, low to the ground, etc.. I cant imagine dropping that...

I agree, i would love to drive my bike to work everyday (i work down by the plaza), but my route to work, i see people driving and not paying attention, putting on makeup, on the cell phone, i see 3-4 red lights ran everyday... Just not worth the risk..

My bike is more or less Summer Fun, i do enjoy it, but just be safe, be alert and you should be fine...

Hope that helps..

trndobrd
07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Take the MSF course. If you don't, you will wreck it.

Hell plenty of people at my MSF class crashed the MSF bike.

Dropping a MSF Suzuki 250 because you forgot to put the kickstand down is embarassing. Dropping your brand new $18k bike with custom paint in the driveway is also embarrassing, but much more costly.

stevieray
07-24-2007, 07:42 AM
whenever possible, find someone to ride with..riding staggered forces cars to respect your space in traffic.

HemiEd
07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
I rode for several years, with only two serious accidents that put me in the hospital.
If I were going to buy a new bike, it would be one of these "Big Dogs." (http://www.bdm.com/)

Felch83
07-24-2007, 07:55 AM

You have no business being on a bike. ROFL

trndobrd
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM

The weight isn't much of an issue. Most bike over 750cc can easily handle 400lbs or more. Comfort and fit will be a little more difficult. You'll need a bigger bike, and probably some adjustment of your bars and foot controls.

Radar Chief
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
I rode for several years, with only two serious accidents that put me in the hospital.
If I were going to buy a new bike, it would be one of these "Big Dogs." (http://www.bdm.com/)

I’m disappointed in you, Ed. ;)

http://www.bosshoss.net/images/BIKES_TRIKES/BHC3502/BHC3502_1.jpg

BHC-3 502

Specs | Features

Engine
Type
Liquid Cooled V-8

Horsepower
502 @ 5200 rpm

Torque
567 Ft.Lbs @ 4200 rpm

Block
Cast Iron - 4 bolt main

Cylinders
Aluminum (110cc)

Valvetrain
2.25"Int. / 1.88"Exh

Size
502 c.i. (8200cc)

Compression
9.6:1

Carburetor
Holly 850 cfm

Exhaust
2.5" with dual mufflers

Transmission
2-speed semi-auto w/rev.

Final Drive
Belt, Gates- Polychain

Dimensions
Overall Length
108"

Wheel Base
82.0"

Seat Height
28.5"

Rake
33.0 degrees

Grd. Dlearance
4.5"

Frame Width
31.0"

GVWR
1827 lbs.

Dry Weight
1300 lbs.

Tires/Wheels
Front
130/90-16, 3.50"x16.0"

Rear
230/60, 7.0"x15.0"

Suspension (Adj. Preload)
Front
63mm inverted forks, 3.5" travel

Rear
Dual 13.5" coilover shocks

Brakes
Front
Dual four-piston calipers, 12.6" floating disc

Rear
Single four-piston caliper

Fuel
Tank
8.5 gal.

Reserve
n/a

High/Low MPG
18/13

HemiEd
07-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I’m disappointed in you, Ed. ;)

http://www.bosshoss.net/images/BIKES_TRIKES/BHC3502/BHC3502_1.jpg

Hey, that thing shouldn't have any problem toting 400 lbs! Well, then there is that thing about turning corners. :)
Damn, over 1300 lbs! Heck, I used to wrestle 500 lb one around when I was in my early 20s.

I really do like those Big Dogs though, made in the old Quality Chevrolet dealership building on Douglas in Wichita.

"Quality Chevrolet, where somebody trades and saves, ever 29 minutes" or something like that. :D

stevieray
07-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Ed would want a turbo and wheelie bars.

crazycoffey
07-24-2007, 08:17 AM
You should really post a poll about this Flopnuts.

:D

:LOL:

Hey floppy, do you realize how many hookers you could buy with 10 grand, get three or four to oil wrestle on you for a few hours, you'll feel better....

seriously though, if you get one, I can not stress (or agree with other posters here) enough. Take the training courses, learn to ride, learn your control, how to break with the front brake and not lock it up. How to break and excape, how to use your clutch, and how to shift, how to drive defensively.

Be safe and enjoy it, riding a bike has been one of the best experiences of my life, and remember I got paid to ride one for almost five years. :)

brent102fire
07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
DON'T

ct
07-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Ya know what nurses call motorcycle riders? Organ donors.

crazycoffey
07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Ya know what nurses call motorcycle riders? Organ donors.

Yup, quoted for truth, the nurse I dated loved my organ donations...

Braincase
07-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Just be sure to attach the appropriate signage...

Brock
07-24-2007, 09:02 AM
While accidents unfortunately happen, Bob Dole sees too many that involve riders who had no business being on the road on a bike in the first place.

It's more and more common all the time, and you know they don't have a motorcycle license to begin with. But at least they got the "big harley" that they can't control.

Radar Chief
07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Yup, quoted for truth, the nurse I dated loved my organ donations...

I’m just surprised some ninny hasn’t called them a “murdercycle” yet.

Radar Chief
07-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey, that thing shouldn't have any problem toting 400 lbs! Well, then there is that thing about turning corners. :)
Damn, over 1300 lbs! Heck, I used to wrestle 500 lb one around when I was in my early 20s.

I really do like those Big Dogs though, made in the old Quality Chevrolet dealership building on Douglas in Wichita.

"Quality Chevrolet, where somebody trades and saves, ever 29 minutes" or something like that. :D

And that’s just the “dry weight”. Throw in the proper amounts of oil and coolant and that weight jumps up quickly.
Want to know the real kicker about those bikes? They’re slow. Really, I saw a Kawasaki EX 500 outrun one in the ¼. That’s a two cylinder motorcycle. The guy with the Boss Hoss was so ashamed he didn’t even come back to talk about it, he rode straight home.
The problem is, all that power still has to move all that weight by transmitting power through one contact patch. Put some kind of huge slick on it, at least a hope of hooking some of that power up to the ground, and that story might change a little bit but then you don’t buy a bike like that to drag race.

HemiEd
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
And that’s just the “dry weight”. Throw in the proper amounts of oil and coolant and that weight jumps up quickly.
Want to know the real kicker about those bikes? They’re slow. Really, I saw a Kawasaki EX 500 outrun one in the ¼. That’s a two cylinder motorcycle. The guy with the Boss Hoss was so ashamed he didn’t even come back to talk about it, he rode straight home.
The problem is, all that power still has to move all that weight by transmitting power through one contact patch. Put some kind of huge slick on it, at least a hope of hooking some of that power up to the ground, and that story might change a little bit but then you don’t buy a bike like that to drag race.

I don't understand the reason for putting the "rat" in there, stupid beyond reason.
Now take that 327 you have in the corveep, and you would have something.
Still heavy though, but the 327 will put out more power than needed and still wind.
I have been around a couple of those motorcycles with SBCs in them, the BBC is just nuts.

Iowanian
07-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Unless its the size of a Clydesdale, you're going to look like a clown on a tricycle anyway.

I have a relative who will likely sell you his, but you'll have to wait until he's out of surgery to get the price.....and pull it out of the car grill.

ct
07-24-2007, 09:38 AM
I’m just surprised some ninny hasn’t called them a “murdercycle” yet.

... or more accurately a suicycle.

I do agree with Bob Dole and others here. If you've got the experience and awareness to handle your bike, go for it. Otherwise, start small and slow. Me personally? I'd be dead in 5 minutes.

El Jefe
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
You know what they will be saying "Fat man on a little bike".

Radar Chief
07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
... or more accurately a suicycle.

I do agree with Bob Dole and others here. If you've got the experience and awareness to handle your bike, go for it. Otherwise, start small and slow. Me personally? I'd be dead in 5 minutes.

:thumb:

Skip Towne
07-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Your size better get a Goldwing.
...with outriggers.

bogie
07-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I just recently learned to ride about 2 years ago, i didnt take the class, but used my friend's dirtbike on a field for 3 days, then bought a small Ninja 250, had that 3 months, just alittle too small (and i am only 155lbs and 5'8), move to a Katana 600, i dropped them once each, at a dead stop on a hill, balance was off..

Sold that this year and moved to a V-star 650cc. Best bike i have wever owned, the cruiser is the way to go, low to the ground, etc.. I cant imagine dropping that...

I agree, i would love to drive my bike to work everyday (i work down by the plaza), but my route to work, i see people driving and not paying attention, putting on makeup, on the cell phone, i see 3-4 red lights ran everyday... Just not worth the risk..

My bike is more or less Summer Fun, i do enjoy it, but just be safe, be alert and you should be fine...

Hope that helps..

V-star 650 is a great bike. I bought mine in brand new in 2000 and have not spent a dime on repairs. I am a week-end warrier and I love it. That being said, motorcycles are only as safe as the person riding them. Bob Dole is right, you need to be a defensive rider and keep an eye out for the other guy.

PastorMikH
07-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Personally, as long as you can ride responsible and ALWAYS watch other traffic, motorcycling can be safe and fun.

I'd recomend a cruiser with a 1500+cc engine. A buddy of mine has a Vulcan with the 1600cc engine. I'm 6'1" and close to 300 and it carries me really well. Between him and his wife its probably close to 400lbs of rider and does well too.

As for Goldwings, I have an old one and have rode several others including one of the newer ones. They can be awkward for a beginner and the newer wings are fast enough to get you into serious trouble in a hurry. I personally would not recommend a Wing for a new rider.

el borracho
07-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Bob Dole's is good advice. Bikes are like anything- they can be useful and good or they can be dangerous. Just be aware of the potential dangers and minimize your risk and you should be fine. I've been riding for 17 years (probably gone about 150,000 miles total on them) and never had an accident on a bike. Be aware, be smart and be safe.

trndobrd
07-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Don't listen to all the naysayers. Do what you want to do.

Personally, I would recommend a Victory to just about anyone. 100ci should move you along quite nicely, they are big but not unmanageable, and easy to maintain.

HonestChieffan
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Before you buy, have someone tie you to the bumper of their car and drag you down a concrete street about a block. They dont need to go fast, just see if you get a rush from the experience. If you like it, get a big fast bike and dont be dorky and wear a helmet.

FAX
07-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Don't do it, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts.

The Harley-Davidson manifesto clearly states that floppy nuts are better than no nuts at all.

FAX

PunkinDrublic
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I was in Myrtle Beach a couple of months ago and just happened to be in town at the same time as bike week. Yeah people had cool bikes but it was like spring break for people having a midlife crises.

2bikemike
07-24-2007, 06:04 PM
A lot of folks on here are offering up some good advice. The most important is take the MSF course. There are many good places that will put you on a bike and get you started.

Riding on the street is all about awareness. Always looking and thinking about the hazards and escape routes.

Ugly Duck
07-24-2007, 09:08 PM
What I rode before my brain matured.... BSA 650:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bsa03112101.jpg

C-Mac
07-24-2007, 09:55 PM
:)

Fat Elvis
07-24-2007, 09:59 PM
6'5"...400lbs?

Honda Spree is the only way to go.

http://www.sonicjay.com/spree/spree-tank-cast.jpg

Smed1065
07-24-2007, 10:30 PM
yOU NEED A hARLEY 1700.

MIN.

Smed1065
07-24-2007, 10:32 PM
A lot of folks on here are offering up some good advice. The most important is take the MSF course. There are many good places that will put you on a bike and get you started.

Riding on the street is all about awareness. Always looking and thinking about the hazards and escape routes.

yes dodging is impotent.

Radar Chief
07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
6'5"...400lbs?

Wow, that’s actually some impressive skilz hang’n the front end out like that on a Spree. :thumb:

Radar Chief
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
What I rode before my brain matured.... BSA 650:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/bsa03112101.jpg

That’s cute, UD. Did it come with training wheels and tassels that hang out the ends of the handlebars? ;)

PastorMikH
07-27-2007, 10:05 AM
6'5"...400lbs?

It appears that his leg is in a cast. I'll bet he's riding that scooter 'cause he totaled his Ninja.

BIG_DADDY
07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Two words for you buddy BOSS HOSS

Engine
TypeLiquid Cooled V-8
Horsepower502 @ 5200 rpm
Torque567 Ft.Lbs @ 4200 rpm
BlockCast Iron - 4 bolt main
CylindersAluminum (110cc)
Valvetrain2.25"Int. / 1.88"Exh
Size502 c.i. (8200cc)
Compression9.6:1
CarburetorHolly 850 cfm
Exhaust2.5" with dual mufflers
Transmission2-speed semi-auto w/rev.
Final DriveBelt, Gates- Polychain

Dimensions
Overall Length108"
Wheel Base82.0"
Seat Height28.5"
Rake33.0 degrees
Grd. Dlearance4.5"
Frame Width31.0"
GVWR1827 lbs.
Dry Weight1300 lbs.

Tires/Wheels
Front130/90-16, 3.50"x16.0"
Rear230/60, 7.0"x15.0"

Suspension (Adj. Preload)
Front63mm inverted forks, 3.5" travel
RearDual 13.5" coilover shocks

Brakes
FrontDual four-piston calipers, 12.6" floating disc
RearSingle four-piston caliper

Fuel
Tank8.5 gal.
Reserven/a
High/Low MPG18/13

Bob Dole
07-27-2007, 10:17 AM
yOU NEED A hARLEY 1700.

MIN.

You can't figure out the Caps Lock button, but you're giving motorcycle advice?

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Two words for you buddy BOSS HOSS

You should read the thread, especially Radar's posts, pretty interesting.

Radar Chief
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Well, since we’re getting ridiculous, “what you need” is the Y2K Bike.

General information
Model: Marine Turbine Technologies Y2K Turbine Superbike
Year: 2003
Category: Sport
Rating: 76.5 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Engine and transmission
Engine type: Gas turbine
Power: 320.00 HP (233.6 kW)) @ 52000 RPM
Torque: 576.30 Nm (58.8 kgf-m or 425.1 ft.lbs) @ 2000 RPM :eek:
Gearbox: 2-speed
Physical measures
Dry weight: 226.8 kg (500.0 pounds)
Seat height: 800 mm (31.5 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Wheelbase: 1,727 mm (68.0 inches)
Chassis and dimensions
Frame type: Aluminum alloy
Front tyre dimensions: 120/60-ZR17
Rear tyre dimensions: 200/50-ZR17
Front brakes: Dual disc
Front brakes diameter: 320 mm (12.6 inches)
Rear brakes: Dual disc
Rear brakes diameter: 320 mm (12.6 inches)
Speed and acceleration
Top speed: 402.3 km/h (250.0 mph)
1/4 mile (0.4 km): 9.800 seconds
Power/weight ratio: 1.4109 HP/kg
Other specifications
Fuel capacity: 34.00 litres (8.98 gallons)
Comments: 0-227 mph (0-365 km/h) in 15 seconds, this bike needs no other comment!! AND it's street legal.

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/marine%20turbine%20technologies/2003/20204_0_1_2_y2k%20turbine%20superbike_Image%20by%20Max%20Turbine%20Technologies.jpg

BIG_DADDY
07-27-2007, 10:35 AM
You should read the thread, especially Radar's posts, pretty interesting.

Leave it to Radar to beat me to that one. Actually if I weighed that much and hadn't rode motorcycles before I wouldn't.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Leave it to Radar to beat me to that one. Actually if I weighed that much and hadn't rode motorcycles before I wouldn't.
ROFL I still don't understand them using the rat motor. I would use an all aluminum SBC, 302-327 would be best IMO.

Radar Chief
07-27-2007, 10:43 AM

;)
That was my advice also. It’s going to take a big bike to handle a big guy like that and big bikes don’t seem to get along with newb riders very well. At least that’s my guess since big bikes tend to do ugly things to newb riders.

Radar Chief
07-27-2007, 10:43 AM
ROFL I still don't understand them using the rat motor. I would use an all aluminum SBC, 302-327 would be best IMO.

LS-1? :hmmm:

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
LS-1? :hmmm:

yep, I think that is the designation they used. The 302 is a pretty short stroke motor, right? It should wind like crazy, alluminum SBC blocks used to be fairly easy to purchase. Not sure if they are any more.

BIG_DADDY
07-27-2007, 11:29 AM
;)
That was my advice also. It’s going to take a big bike to handle a big guy like that and big bikes don’t seem to get along with newb riders very well. At least that’s my guess since big bikes tend to do ugly things to newb riders.

Actually if I was to give advise to anyone wanting to ride street bikes it would be to ride on the dirt for a couple years fist to understand how a bike is going to react in different situations and how to correct the problems. Hitting dirt in a corner, locking it up, braking, looking through corners instead of at them ect. Even with that big guys on big bikes can be a problem. The last two I knew trying are both had experience and are not riding now. Both hit dirt in a corner and put a leg down to keep the bike up. One broke his ankle and the other fractured his knee socket.

Radar Chief
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
It should wind like crazy, alluminum SBC blocks used to be fairly easy to purchase. Not sure if they are any more.

They used to be easy and comparatively cheap to come by, but the magazines and fabrication shows have screwed that up.
Just a few years ago there was a salvage yard in KC that was in the KC Star advertising LS-1’s with under 30K miles, came with complete stock wiring harness and computer, including the “4+3” six speed transmission for $1300. Minus the transmission for right at $1K.
Now you can’t breath on a used one for more than twice that!
I can’t blame anyone for it thought, if I were building a complete custom rig that’s the engine I’d look for. Pretty light weight, high tech, high output motor.

Bob Dole
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
;)

Something like the VTX 1300 ought to be plenty to carry the weight and minimize some of the n00b issues.

The v-twin+shaft drive is a good combo that would eliminate a lot of the acceleration-related pitfalls. It's got a low center of gravity and a low enough seat height that he shouldn't have any issues getting both feet flat on the ground. And Bob Dole plus his regular passenger come in right around 370 combined, and there's more than enough torque and top end.

Bob Dole
07-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Actually if I was to give advise to anyone wanting to ride street bikes it would be to ride on the dirt for a couple years fist to understand how a bike is going to react in different situations and how to correct the problems. Hitting dirt in a corner, locking it up, braking, looking through corners instead of at them ect. Even with that big guys on big bikes can be a problem. The last two I knew trying are both had experience and are not riding now. Both hit dirt in a corner and put a leg down to keep the bike up. One broke his ankle and the other fractured his knee socket.

That's good advice too. Bob Dole would even go a step further and suggest a person practice laying the dirtbike down so you can figure out ways to "ride out" a spill. (You know...that whole process of getting your "bottom" leg out from under the damned thing.)

stevieray
07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Something like the VTX 1300 ought to be plenty to carry the weight and minimize some of the n00b issues.

The v-twin+shaft drive is a good combo that would eliminate a lot of the acceleration-related pitfalls. It's got a low center of gravity and a low enough seat height that he shouldn't have any issues getting both feet flat on the ground. And Bob Dole plus his regular passenger come in right around 370 combined, and there's more than enough torque and top end.

it's wimpy....

Bob Dole
07-27-2007, 05:18 PM
it's wimpy....

See if Bob Dole lets you ride the damned thing again.

Did you call Rocky? (You really need to call Rocky.)

stevieray
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
See if Bob Dole lets you ride the damned thing again.

Did you call Rocky? (You really need to call Rocky.)

okokokok..it's not wimpy..it's pretty damn sweet for a cruiser..

I'll call him here in a bit...

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 05:34 PM
They used to be easy and comparatively cheap to come by, but the magazines and fabrication shows have screwed that up.
Just a few years ago there was a salvage yard in KC that was in the KC Star advertising LS-1’s with under 30K miles, came with complete stock wiring harness and computer, including the “4+3” six speed transmission for $1300. Minus the transmission for right at $1K.
Now you can’t breath on a used one for more than twice that!
I can’t blame anyone for it thought, if I were building a complete custom rig that’s the engine I’d look for. Pretty light weight, high tech, high output motor.

I would think it would still be worth it. I like starting with a good piece, the 340 being my favorite Mopar to play with. Hemis are priced out the equation anymore.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 05:38 PM
That's good advice too. Bob Dole would even go a step further and suggest a person practice laying the dirtbike down so you can figure out ways to "ride out" a spill. (You know...that whole process of getting your "bottom" leg out from under the damned thing.)

I think blacking out, right before impact, is the only reason I am still here.

Bob Dole
07-27-2007, 08:24 PM
I think blacking out, right before impact, is the only reason I am still here.

One of my friends just managed to total his Harley a couple of weekends ago and doesn't remember anything beyond the point where he started losing control.

On the plus side, his injuries are limited to some very serious road rash--not broken bones or internal injuries. Which is pretty amazing since he went down at roughly 80mph on the interstate with nothing on his head but a bandana. It also appears to have been the wake-up call he needed to figure out he's not bulletproof and he needs to be a bit more "long term" in his thinking.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 08:33 PM
One of my friends just managed to total his Harley a couple of weekends ago and doesn't remember anything beyond the point where he started losing control.

On the plus side, his injuries are limited to some very serious road rash--not broken bones or internal injuries. Which is pretty amazing since he went down at roughly 80mph on the interstate with nothing on his head but a bandana. It also appears to have been the wake-up call he needed to figure out he's not bulletproof and he needs to be a bit more "long term" in his thinking.

That sounds eerily familiar. I used to ride real "loose", any way, that is what many of my fellow bikers said.
I was only going about 60 though, with a helmet on, when I came to a broadside instant stop against the side of a Nova.
I wasn't quite as lucky as your buddy, it badly injured my back.
Helmet had a nice long 1/4 inch deep gouge across the top of it.
Glad to hear your friend is still around to make those long term plans.