PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know S Chad Williams...

Direckshun
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
The acquisition of Chad Williams was, to me, a bye-bye to S Greg Wesley. Obviously the kids came in and supplanted Knight and G-Wes without much difficulty, but there still could have been a role for Wesley as a veteran back-up if he had even the slightest interest in it -- which, to be clear, he doesn't.

S Jon McGraw was a solid acquisition and should make the team without breaking a sweat. He's underachieved and while he may never be a starter in the NFL, he could serve as a good backup. And, actually, I've already done one of these threads on him. Matter of fact, since I'm doing this, I'll mention that I've done one on Jon McGraw (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=163469&highlight=Getting), Alphonso Boone (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=163471&highlight=Getting), Damion McIntosh (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164974&highlight=Getting), and Jeff Webb (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164977&highlight=Getting).

Back to the subject. So the kids came in and took over the place, McGraw was a solid back-up addition that's young and fast, but it was the acquisition of Chad Williams that spells doom for Greg Wesley. While I believe Wesley to be superior, I don't think it's by much. Chad Williams is tailor-made to play backup, and he's a versatile player that can play either safety position, as well as nickelback, nickel-linebacker, and weakside-linebacker in dime packages.

But what do we know about the guy? I've scoured much of the web to find information on him, and it's pretty sparse. But I have determined this much...

Positives: While he's short, he's also big and strong (5'9, 207). He's the fastest safety on our squad. Good recovery speed. Versatile, as I've already discussed. Solid in run support, good tackler. Strong receivers have trouble pushing him around. Good instincts, is one of those guys that can fly to the ball. Has a competitive fire that fuels him to be a good special teams player.
Negatives: Short. Only 5'9", and while he's solid in coverage, he's a liability against any tall WR or TE. Will disappear against most blocking, because I guess he has a lot of trouble getting off blocks. He's a jack of all trades, but a king of none. My opinion: He's got six years of experience, so he's a known quantity, and I don't think Herm brings in known quantities if they're unlikely to make the team. Simple as that. I'm calling it: Page&Pollard start, McGraw sees plenty of time, and Williams does spot duty in certain situations, not to mention special teams, where he apparently excels.

pikesome
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
If there's one thing I don't worry too much about it's our secondary. A CB or two would have been nice but, as we've gone over before, there was only so much they could do with the players and picks on hand. I'm really jazzed about our possible safety play, both Page and Pollard showed something last year and the probable backups don't look like weak spots either. Herm seems to have a good plan on paper, now it's time for players to live up to their billing.

Direckshun
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
I think it's a pretty interesting contrast between our projected starters (P&P) and our projected backups (McGraw & Williams).

If P&P have a weakness, it's going to be speed. Our starting corners aren't exactly lightning bolts anymore either, so if we ever have to line up against a Santana Moss-type with blazing incredible speed, that's going to be our undoing.

But the lack of speed between those two is contrasted by the amazing speed of McGraw and Williams, who are both renouned in scouting reports for being exceedingly fast. McGraw's a tall bastard with long legs and Williams is just canned lightning.

All four seem to have more SS-type bodies, though, and Cover 2 tends to require more FS type safeties. But Page has proven he can handle the massive responsibility of the Cover 2, and I'm sure Pollard can, too.

After losing Sammy Knight, and upon the very real possibility of losing Greg Wesley early this offseason, safety was both our most promising position and one of our thinnest. It's no longer should be a problem.

Herm has done a great job this offseason in doing a lot with little more than draft picks and a relatively weak free agency class.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
07-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Nice read. thanks. I say hell yeah to mcGraw. I hope Faith comes with him too.

pikesome
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Neither of our outgoing safeties (Knight & Wesley) were primarily speed guys either. Knight was a big hitter with smarts and Wesley had real good hands (when he felt like it) and was a big hitter too.

Smed1065
07-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Dexter part deuce.

the Talking Can
07-24-2007, 08:44 PM
when did we sign Williams?

and is Wesley officially gone yet?

anyways, good thread...

Direckshun
07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
when did we sign Williams?

and is Wesley officially gone yet?

anyways, good thread...
1. June 6th.

2. No. One of two things is most likely, given his inconsistency and his attitude problem. We'll end up trading him some time this week (most likely to the Broncos) or we'll have him come to River Falls and cut him as we siphon the team down to 53. At which point I'm willing to bet the Broncos still scoop him up.

3. Thanks.

Direckshun
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Dexter part deuce.
Dexter was a corner.

Although it's likely that, given his versatility, it's possible that the Chiefs may line him up on a couple occasions against a TE. And if it's one of the league's taller 6'7"-type TEs, that's a guaranteed first down.