PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you?

Redrum_69
07-25-2007, 08:37 AM
What motivates you to keep driving to work 70 miles one way? What motivates you to keep that corporate job and deal with the office politics day in and day out? Are you motivated by the amount of bills you get per month? Is it your mortgage that motivates you? Wife and kids to take care of? Is it because you want fame and fortune?

tooge
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
So I can get on CP on the computer at work

Arrowhead Pride
Avoiding living a life of "quiet desperation".

Felch83
To keep livin it up.

HonestChieffan
07-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Its better to save all you can, retire early and rich, and not have these silly questions to deal with.

El Jefe
07-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I mean no matter what people say unless you are rich, money has to be the biggest motivator, wether good or bad. Money is a necessity for survival, so you have to keep working. Another day another dollar. Money makes the world go around these days, thats all anybody cares about, I get money to buy stuff and pay bills, but im not obessed with it like 90% of America is.

seclark
07-25-2007, 09:19 AM
What motivates you to keep driving to work 70 miles one way? What motivates you to keep that corporate job and deal with the office politics day in and day out? Are you motivated by the amount of bills you get per month? Is it your mortgage that motivates you? Wife and kids to take care of? Is it because you want fame and fortune?
i'll never be rich, but i can pay my bills and have enough left over to save a little.
i'm pretty easy. a daily can of chew and happy hour is good enough for me.
sec

HonestChieffan
07-25-2007, 09:21 AM
having a lot of money can be a lot of work though

ChiefaRoo
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Peace of mind from a life lived well is worth more than all the money in the world. You can quote me on that.

FAX
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
chiefs planet hot chick double burger

FAX

ChiefaRoo
07-25-2007, 10:09 AM
What motivates me? Boobies, brains and a tight booty. If I can find me a girl with these three things and some good values I'll be good until they plant me. If not, I may go off the rail..... eventually.

Bowser
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Money, sex, power. Those things make the world go 'round.

Most of us, however, don't get all three at one time. Unless you're in Vegas.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
having a lot of money can be a lot of work though
That's work I would gladly take on.

Braincase
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Doing what's right for my family. Nothing else matters.

Buster's Dad
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
:clap: I don't need to be, 65 yrs old, retired, mortage paid off, wife is 10 yrs younger than me, retired after 32 yrs of teaching.
She works at a bookstore primarly for enjoyment and health insurance, I go fishing when I want, Life is VERY good :clap: :clap:

ILikeBigTiddys
07-25-2007, 10:26 AM
I think big tiddys motivate me.

FAX
07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
rain man post trade at mange for internet coupon

FAX

HemiEd
07-25-2007, 10:37 AM
:clap: I don't need to be, 65 yrs old, retired, mortage paid off, wife is 10 yrs younger than me, retired after 32 yrs of teaching.
She works at a bookstore primarly for enjoyment and health insurance, I go fishing when I want, Life is VERY good :clap: :clap:

This is what motivates me, I want to do that someday. When I was 45, I realized I just might live long enough to retire. I had better get my ass in gear and quit partying so much, I did.

phisherman
07-25-2007, 10:39 AM
the fact that i get paid well and that my daily commute consists of a walk of about 10 feet from my bedroom to my home office

bogie
07-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Keeping my bills paid, putting a little away every paycheck, giving my child a good education and braces, house improvements for my wife, golf once a week for me. Hoping to retire by 60.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM

We all know in your case it gives you plenty of time to masturbate.

Iowanian
07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
A post it note.

My wife told me this tale.....

A hospital floor divided, each side territorial and unrespectful of the other. Everyone feeling that work was drudgery.

One day, an unknown patient, an elderly lady in an open back gown strolled down the middle of the hallway. Nurses on each side, looking at the lady, and then at the other side saying "she's not ours"..

Suddenly, the gentle elderly lady stopped in the middle of the hallway, smiles and shouts "LET 'ER RIP!" and violently Klosters all over the hallway floor and walls.

The nurses in shock, deal with the lady and begin to argue about cleanup. Each side choosing to clean their own side of the hallway.

The next morning, a nurse, loathing the thought of going to work, and only going so that her co-workers don't have to carry that load, drags into the nurses locker room and sits down on the bench to change.

Upon opening the door, a single post it note saying "LET 'er RIP!" stuck to the inside....an ice breaking joke from the nurses on the other side.

From then on, each day, it became a running joke to hide this sticky note on the other side's stuff, where it would be found during the day.

Moral. Some days, we go to work for our clients, some days for the money.....and some days, we go just for that sticky note.

Let 'er Rip!

Iowanian
07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm motivated to work for many reasons. Pride, and responsibility as a man to provide for those I'm responsible for care and well being.

I left a good job recently, and will be commuting to and from my home office. Alot more motivation now.

BIG_DADDY
07-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Your purpose should be your motivation. JMO

cdcox
07-25-2007, 02:05 PM
Interestingly enough, I had a clarifying experience today that directly addresses this question.

For the last couple weeks I've been in discussions with a start-up firm (VC-funded) to conduct some research with/for them. In the course of the conversation, the offer to join their firm as an officer on a part-time basis (keeping my university position) was made. At first it was very attractive since it would immediately increase my income by 20 to 30% and give me a shot (however remote) at a huge payday down the road. Over the last several days, I realized that by becoming an officer of the company, even on a part-timbe basis, I'd face pressures, responsibilities, and liabilities that went far beyond just doing the research that would help the company develop its technology. And that by taking on these responsibilities and liabilities, that I would be giving up a large part of my independence. And that made me very, very uncomfortable.

So, I negotiated a deal that makes much more sense to me. If the company gets their VC funding, there is a very good chance that I will still get to do the research, which has the potential to be very interesting and will allow me to meet many of my university responsibilities. As far as the big payday goes, I have two pathways there: sharing in patent royalties through the university and stock-options in the company by serving on the board of advisers. The payday (if it happens) won't be nearly as big, but still nothing to sneeze at.

This arrangement keeps a nice moat between me and the start-up company so I can keep my independence and the ability to sleep at night. :thumb:

Demonpenz
07-25-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't know what motivates me as far as work other than I like to spend money at bars, royals, chiefs games. I go into a fantasy world when I workout and lift though.

Rain Man
07-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Right now, it's to make DaFace's life a living hell for the next month.

cdcox
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Right now, it's to make DaFace's life a living hell for the next month.

I agree, it's about the little pleausres. Glad to hear you are taking time to smell the roses.

Rain Man
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree, it's about the little pleausres. Glad to hear you are taking time to smell the roses.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy.

bogie
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Pot motivates me too.

Iowanian
07-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Pot motivates me too eat cheetos and not work.