PDA

View Full Version : The RB Sit-Chee-Ay-Shun

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Let's talk about it.

LJ's elite. Michael Bennett's the veteran backup with injury problems. Priest Holmes is another veteran backup with injury problems and out of football for a couple years. Kolby Smith is a promising 5th rounder. Derrick Ross was the NFL Europe MVP this summer. Without question, the best RB situation in football, but where does everybody fit in?

I'm thinking it fits in the following way, tell me how you feel:

LJ starts.

If Priest Holmes shows us a solid performance in camp, we choose between him and Bennett, two solid veterans with injury histories because there's no reason to keep two.

And I think Kolby's battling with Ross for Young Newcomer #3 RB.

Thoughts.

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
IF and that's a big IF Priest actually gets through camp and the preseason, then my guess is as follows:

LJ
Bennett
Holmes

Kolby Smith makes the roster as a backup FB, 4th string RB and ST player......

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Ohhhhhh... very interesting.

Both vets backing up LJ, and Smith knocks off either Boomer or Bigfoot at FB.

Interesting.

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Ohhhhhh... very interesting.

Both vets backing up LJ, and Smith knocks off either Boomer or Bigfoot at FB.

Interesting.

Boomer.

Bigfoot is going nowhere.......

Direckshun
Let me ask this...

On a team that's retooling, what's the use of having both veteran backups at RB, when you have a young guy who's clearly part of this team's future?

I'm thinking if Priest reverts to a reasonable facsimile of his old self, we're choosing between him and Bennett for #2.

cdcox
I think the Chargers situation is still better. Their #1 is better than our #1 and their #2 is better than our #2.

luv
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I think the Chargers situation is still better. Their #1 is better than our #1 and their #2 is better than our #2.
Well, we're not dealing with that right now. :p

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Oh come now. Bennett's a former 1,000 yard rusher and he can make some noise when he's healthy.

And we have three guys behind those two who would probably make every other squad in the NFL.

el borracho
07-25-2007, 10:26 PM
LJ either starts or gets traded. I predict he starts.

Bennet = #2 or #3 or gets traded. I predict he becomes #3.

Holmes either becomes #2 or gets cut. I predict he becomes #2.

Smith either makes the roster as #3 and sometimes FB or goes to the practice squad. I predict he goes to the practice squad.

Ross gets cut, goes to the practice squad or traded. I predict he gets cut.

luv
07-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I'd say it's hard to say anything right now without having seen Priest play in two years. I agree with not having two veterans as backups though. Get someone young in there and start grooming them.

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
LJ either starts or gets traded. I predict he starts.

Bennet = #2 or #3 or gets traded. I predict he becomes #3.

Holmes either becomes #2 or gets cut. I predict he becomes #2.

Smith either makes the roster as #3 and sometimes FB or goes to the practice squad. I predict he goes to the practice squad.

Ross gets cut, goes to the practice squad or traded. I predict he gets cut.
You're predicting the following depth chart at RB...

LJ
Holmes
Bennett

...so I have to ask you the same question.

On a team that's retooling, what's the use of having both veteran backups at RB, when you have a young guy who's clearly part of this team's future?

cdcox
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh come now. Bennett's a former 1,000 yard rusher and he can make some noise when he's healthy.

And we have three guys behind those two who would probably make every other squad in the NFL.

Given age, injury and recent performance Turner has far more value than any RB on our roster other than LJ. There was talk of the Chargers trading him for a first round draft pick. None of our guys would sniff a third on the open market.

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Given age, injury and recent performance Turner has far more value than any RB on our roster other than LJ. There was talk of the Chargers trading him for a first round draft pick. None of our guys would sniff a third on the open market.
Which is why he wasn't traded. Turner's projected worth is nowhere near that.

His upside may be worth a 3rd, maybe.

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Let me ask this...

I'm thinking if Priest reverts to a reasonable facsimile of his old self, we're choosing between him and Bennett for #2.

My opinion?

Assuming PH is in the fold, I think you keep both for several reasons.

1) Both Bennett and Holmes are injury prone. Keeping both is insurance for the other.

2) Could you imagine gameplanning against 3 Pro Bowl RB's?

3) It makes your team better than it was yesterday, assuming PH is even 1/8 of his old self. I fully believe Kolby is/was going to make the team regardless as a ST'er, and I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be a better backup FB than Grigsby.

Buns
07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
If Priest isn't a pawn and has game still, I see no reason not to keep 4 halfbacks. We like to run. Imagine splitbacks with Priest and Bennett.

Buck
07-25-2007, 10:32 PM
The Chargers situation is a little better, IMO, because Michael Turner isn't going to complain about Playing Time.

I think you guys need to part ways with LJ, keep Priest for this year, maybe next, and then either draft a good rookie RB, or sign a Veteran. Maybe even Michael Turner, he will be an Unrestricted Free Agent next year.

Just something to think about.

ChiefFan31
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I just don't see Priest Holmes playing in a regular season game for us...but who knows on that one. Will have to see how he does in camp/preseason.

Ross, guy could get us a 100 yards a game, but have 4 fumbles per game. I bet he gets cut, we actually have some good depth.

Yeah, Bennet can be a solid #2 if he can stay healthy.

LJ I dunno. I can totally understand the Chiefs brass needing to play some hardball, but coming out at 14M...I really hope they keep talking and meet in the middle somewheres...Stuff I am reading tonight has me worried...

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
My opinion?

Assuming PH is in the fold, I think you keep both for several reasons.

1) Both Bennett and Holmes are injury prone. Keeping both is insurance for the other.

3) It makes your team better than it was yesterday, assuming PH is even 1/8 of his old self. I fully believe Kolby is/was going to make the team regardless as a ST'er, and I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be a better backup FB than Grigsby.
Bah. Good points, so we'll have to just agree to disagree.

I think Kolby's a part of this team's future in either a small capacity or large capacity, and I think you want to find out sooner than later. You got to get him snaps early on. You've got LJ, you've got one of those two Pro Bowl vets, you're not losing hardly anything by throwing Kolby out there instead of the other vet.

Three Pro Bowlers, though, ha. That just sounds awesome to say.

el borracho
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
What makes you think that Smith is "clearly part of this team's future"? Smith is a 5th round pick. He may or may not ever play a down in the NFL. (For the record, I'm not saying he won't... just saying that it isn't guaranteed.)

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
I'd say it's hard to say anything right now without having seen Priest play in two years. I agree with not having two veterans as backups though. Get someone young in there and start grooming them.

That's the thing:

Even if PH doesn't play a down for us this year, Kolby Smith is still the 3rd RB.

The only way this kid is seeing significant time is if......

I'm not gonna say it, but I think everyone knows where that is going.....

cdcox
07-25-2007, 10:36 PM

It's not like all 3 of them will be on the field at the same time.

We had PH and LJ in the beginning of '05 and didn't make hay from it.

We had LJ and Bennett last year and didn't get any benefit from it.

I just don't see PH return as a very big deal. He's 34, been out of the game for nearly 2 years, we don't have that line, we don't have that offense. Time moves on.

big nasty kcnut
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Here my take lj number one priest number 2 bennett number 3 and smith is st player we keep them all so we can have back up in case priest or bennet goes down.

Direckshun
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
What makes you think that Smith is "clearly part of this team's future"? Smith is a 5th round pick. He may or may not ever play a down in the NFL. (For the record, I'm not saying he won't... just saying that it isn't guaranteed.)
Then I repeat my question to you, substituting the word "could be" instead of "clearly."

What say ye?

OnTheWarpath15
07-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Bah. Good points, so we'll have to just agree to disagree.

I think Kolby's a part of this team's future in either a small capacity or large capacity, and I think you want to find out sooner than later. You got to get him snaps early on. You've got LJ, you've got one of those two Pro Bowl vets, you're not losing hardly anything by throwing Kolby out there instead of the other vet.

Three Pro Bowlers, though, ha. That just sounds awesome to say.

He'll get plenty of snaps regardless.

In preseason.

After August, I wouldn't expect to see him anywhere but ST. He's not gonna take touches away from Bennett in the regular season.

luv
07-25-2007, 10:43 PM
And if LJ gets traded?

I've heard people say that Priest wouldn't fit into out new offense. Please explain.

What is our new offense? Do we know that whenever we don't even know who our starting QB is yet?

el borracho
07-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Direckshun

The #3 back shouldn't get many carries, anyway, so in reality it shouldn't matter much at all. But... there are some politics to consider here.

If Priest is on the roster he is ahead of Smith by default because he is a highly-paid fan favorite.

We traded this year's 4th for Bennet so we probably aren't going to dump him for this year's 5th round rookie. It makes Carl look dumb.

The only way Smith gets to #3 is if one of the top 3 backs gets injured or traded.

07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Let's not forget, the Chiefs need a distraction from LJ on HBO Hard Knocks. This is nearly perfect.

Mecca
07-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Backs or no backs.......I wouldn't pay LJ remotely near what he wants........we'll see how it all plays out I guess.

I'll still believe Holmes is playing when I see it.

beer bacon
07-25-2007, 10:54 PM

I think Michael Turner is severely overrated. He seems to have a little Lamont Jordan in him.

Hammock Parties
07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I've heard people say that Priest wouldn't fit into out new offense. Please explain.

Priest isn't built to take a pounding between the tackles like Larry Johnson. He's a quick back with good vision built for an edge running game - outside, with lots of linemen pulling in front of him. That was the DV offense.

He CAN run inside, but at 34 years old and after multiple injuries, it's a huge risk doing it repeatedly like we did with LJ last year.

bringbackmarty
07-25-2007, 11:16 PM
My feeling is it will go one of two ways, and that Holmes' return was expected by carl and co since the draft. The key to a lot of this is Jason Dunn whom I believe is almost done (retiring), will be injured or could be cut.
Least likely scenario-
If LJ Holds out into the season or is traded than the opening day depth chart looks like this:

RB
Holmes
Bennett
Smith

FB
Wilson
Griggsby

TE
Gonzalez
Wilson or Dunn
Allan or Wilson

More likely-
If he is signed to an extension or ends his holdout early -

RB
Johnson
Holmes
Bennett

FB
Smith
Wilson

TE
Gonzalez
Wilson-Dunn
Dunn-Allan

Priest will see the field if he makes it through TC okay. All of this shit about two years off and 34 years old and being a negotiating ploy is a bunch of crap. He will be our 3rd down, second string RB, and probably end the season with 300-500 yds rushing, another 200-300 rcving and maybe 6-8 total td's depending on what we decide to do on offense.