PDA

View Full Version : Teicher - Chiefs haven't made a contract offer to LJ since June 1st

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/207208.html

LJ holds out as talks stall

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Larry Johnson followed through on his threat to hold out from training camp when he and the Chiefs couldn’t agree on terms of a contract extension.

No surprise there. The revelation was that the Chiefs haven’t made a new contract offer to Johnson in almost two months.

“We’re very far apart, but I can’t tell you exactly how far apart we are because we haven’t received an offer from them since June 1,” said Alvin Keels, Johnson’s agent.

The Chiefs confirmed the date of their most recent offer to Johnson, saying they were waiting for Keels to make what they believe is a more reasonable proposal before they submit a new one.

Wide receiver Dwayne Bowe, their first-round pick, was unsigned and also did not accompany the Chiefs to training camp. The Chiefs also didn’t expect Priest Holmes to arrive until sometime today.

The Chiefs agreed to terms of a three-year contract with rookie kicker Justin Medlock, and he was with the Chiefs as they arrived in River Falls.

Keels wouldn’t specify what he’s looking for or what the Chiefs most recently offered.

“The money I’m seeking for Larry is not out of line with other deals that have been signed in the last few months,” Keels said. “People around the league would look at what we’re asking as being very fair.

“We haven’t been presented with anything we believe is fair. We’re prepared to sit out until the right deal is presented to us.”

Keels said Johnson would be prepared in case the sides bridge their negotiating gap.

“He’ll be working out, staying in shape,” Keels said. “He has a planned regimen he’ll be going through twice each day.”

While the Chiefs will hold a starting spot for Johnson, Bowe would be competing for a starting spot or playing time.

“When he gets here, he gets here,” coach Herm Edwards said. “I don’t worry about that stuff. Hopefully this will be the last time we talk about it. For me, it will be. I’m not going to talk about players who aren’t here.”

“When they get here, we’ll hug them and they’ll go to work.”

07-27-2007, 12:59 AM
OK. So he is pointing out that it is the fault of the Chiefs? Seems to me that LJs agent is just as much to blame here.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:02 AM
OK. So he is pointing out that it is the fault of the Chiefs? Seems to me that LJs agent is just as much to blame here.

The Chiefs are basically refusing to negotiate with Keels until he drops his offer to a certain figure. That's a load of crap. The Chiefs have to give, too.

**** the Chiefs.

keg in kc
07-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Just like with Carl, never trust any information "volunteered" by an agent.

BWillie
07-27-2007, 01:05 AM
The Chiefs are basically refusing to negotiate with Keels until he drops his offer to a certain figure. That's a load of crap. The Chiefs have to give, too.

**** the Chiefs.

Why? We don't have to negotiate shit with LJ. LJ has absolutely no leverage, and the NFL pretty much made it that way so players don't benefit at all from sitting out.

Mecca
07-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Good.....what LJ wants is a ridiculous figure and I don't want him back at that price or anything close to it.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:07 AM
the NFL pretty much made it that way so players don't benefit at all from sitting out.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6898/emmittsmithmg3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DaneMcCloud

**** the Chiefs.

This from a "man" who can't negotiate sex, let alone a contract. :rolleyes:

BWillie
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6898/emmittsmithmg3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And tell me how long ago that was? Times have changed my friend.

keg in kc
07-27-2007, 01:08 AM
This from a "man" who can't negotiate sexDouble entendre!

07-27-2007, 01:08 AM

**** the Chiefs.
**** them both. I hate contract negotiations. Damn rich people.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 01:09 AM

**** the Chiefs.

Drawing from your vast experience at negotiation here? The ball is in Keels/Johnson court. They need to make the counter offer, pretty simple.
So Larry just doesn't want to go to camp? I thought that was usually reserved for more veteran players.

Hammock Parties
And tell me how long ago that was? Times have changed my friend.

Not really. The Cowboys caved once they realized how important Emmitt was to their football team. I'm guessing the Chiefs will do the same if it comes to that point.

Hopefully the Chiefs wake the **** up before that happens. :shake:

tk13

**** the Chiefs.
Worked for Trent Green and the Dolphins.

BWillie
07-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Does LJ deserve a larger contract? Yes

Do I care? No

Should the Chiefs care? No

What benefit do the Chiefs have by giving LJ 30 million guaranteed and a 5-7 year deal? Zero

07-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Does LJ deserve a larger contract? Yes

Do I care? No

Should the Chiefs care? No

What benefit do the Chiefs have by giving LJ 30 million guaranteed and a 5-7 year deal? Nothing
Salary cap issues.

pikesome
07-27-2007, 01:13 AM

End of thread. Everything that needs to be said. ^^^

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:14 AM

How do you figure? The Dolphins eventually caved when they realized how important Green was to them. Carl got what he wanted.

07-27-2007, 01:16 AM
How do you figure? The Dolphins eventually caved when they realized how important Green was to them. Carl got what he wanted.
And now he is splitting snaps with Cleo Lemon.

KCChiefsMan
07-27-2007, 01:25 AM
hmmm, I for one would really like to see LJ stay a Chief. He had a crap ton of touches last year, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have any gas left in the tank. I mean if Priest is still in football shape (which I doubt) and Bennett can stay healthy we will be fine, but those are big if's

tk13
07-27-2007, 01:26 AM
I don't think it's exactly the same, just that Carl will draw a line in the sand and not cross it. What's the worst that can happen? If he doesn't play, we might end up having a bad year, get a bunch of high draft picks, Herm gets to keep rebuilding, LJ comes back rested after a 410+ carry season. Carl totally wins in that situation. I do think we're trying to win more than most people, I really don't think we're trying to have a 3-13 season. But this isn't 2003 where we're trying to make the big leap into 12-4 type contention, we will be testing some young guys and hopefully they float. I don't think that helps LJ's position. We either A.) get high draft picks and then get a rested LJ.... B.) get a bunch of high draft picks and trade LJ for more high draft picks or C.) learn we can win without him so Carl gives the middle finger and trades him for draft picks anyway.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:29 AM
We either A.) get high draft picks and then get a rested LJ....

He'll just hold out again. This would be unprecedented if it happened this way. When has it EVER happened like this? It seems like the player either gets a deal, or is traded.

Mecca
07-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Not really. The Cowboys caved once they realized how important Emmitt was to their football team. I'm guessing the Chiefs will do the same if it comes to that point.

Hopefully the Chiefs wake the **** up before that happens. :shake:

That was a Superbowl team........this team is not. With or without LJ this team doesn't go to the playoffs this year or contend for a bowl in the next 3.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:32 AM
That was a Superbowl team........this team is not. With or without LJ this team doesn't go to the playoffs this year or contend for a bowl in the next 3.

I'm glad you are so certain of these things. You're more certain of them than Carl or Herm...it's amazing.

pikesome
07-27-2007, 01:34 AM

Ok, I'd like to correct myself, this is the end of this thread. The Chiefs don't need LJ because of this. It'd be nice if he stayed but I don't think he's as important as he thinks he is.

tk13
07-27-2007, 01:36 AM
I agree, that's unlikely. Which is why Carl thinks he'll cave. Or at least come back to the middle a bit. I mean to be honest I think he's earned the contract he's asking for considering the market. But Carl kinda holds the cards here because it's not like 2003 where we needed Priest Holmes if we wanted any chance at a Super Bowl. Maybe he holds out, we don't do very well, end up trading him to the Packers who have an average year, we end up with 5 or 6 picks in the first three rounds.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:38 AM
But Carl kinda holds the cards here because it's not like 2003 where we needed Priest Holmes if we wanted any chance at a Super Bowl.

The Chiefs don't make any sense. Why sign Ty Law last year? Why sign Donnie Edwards and Alfonso Boone this year? They should all be traded immediately! Why sign Tony Gonzalez?

tk13
07-27-2007, 01:39 AM
In today's NFL I don't think you can predict if we'll be Super Bowl-worthy in two years, let alone three. Not that we will, but two years ago somebody could've said the Saints won't have a chance at the Super Bowl in the next three years either. They catch a couple breaks in the draft and sign an undervalued QB because of an injury, and blammo.

07-27-2007, 01:43 AM
In today's NFL I don't think you can predict if we'll be Super Bowl-worthy in two years, let alone three. Not that we will, but two years ago somebody could've said the Saints won't have a chance at the Super Bowl in the next three years either. They catch a couple breaks in the draft and sign an undervalued QB because of an injury, and blammo.
If only we could be so lucky.

tk13
07-27-2007, 01:44 AM
The Chiefs don't make any sense. Why sign Ty Law last year? Why sign Donnie Edwards and Alfonso Boone this year? They should all be traded immediately! Why sign Tony Gonzalez?
That's simple, you can't fill a roster with 53 rookies. That's just impossible, plus you need a veteran presence on the team anyway. Guys like Donnie Edwards and Ty Law are leaders for guys like Derrick Johnson or Pollard and Page. I do think we're trying to make the playoffs... but it's not likely to win everything with a 1st year starting QB.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:48 AM
That's simple, you can't fill a roster with 53 rookies. That's just impossible, plus you need a veteran presence on the team anyway. Guys like Donnie Edwards and Ty Law are leaders for guys like Derrick Johnson or Pollard and Page. I do think we're trying to make the playoffs... but it's not likely to win everything with a 1st year starting QB.

I guess I can see Boone and Edwards, but Law and Gonzalez were expensive.

Mecca
07-27-2007, 01:55 AM
None of them got 30 mill guaranteed.......You can get out from under those a lot easier than what LJ wants.

Point remains..the Chiefs aren't a contender this year, they'd like to be competitive but in the AFC that much harder than in the NFC. Next year I think they're a playoff contender by year 3 they should be pretty good marginal bowl contender...

I feel by year 3 LJ will be completely done....hence my reason for not wanting to pay him.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 01:59 AM
None of them got 30 mill guaranteed.......You can get out from under those a lot easier than what LJ wants.

Larry doesn't want 30 million guaranteed.

Tony got 18 million guaranteed. The Chiefs aren't even offering LJ THAT MUCH.

Mecca
07-27-2007, 02:04 AM
I'm not even sure LJ will play as long as Tony still has left...if Tony plays 5 more years he'll still be playing when LJ isn't.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 02:07 AM
I'm not even sure LJ will play as long as Tony still has left...if Tony plays 5 more years he'll still be playing when LJ isn't.

Highly debatable.

noa
07-27-2007, 02:15 AM
I don't think this is any reason to freak out. Its just posturing. I think this deal will get done, and it will be reasonable. No way we sign him for the deal he is asking. When does that ever happen?
When your first figures are 8 years $80 million with $25-30 million guaranteed, it sounds like you are making a concession to accept $60-70 million with $20-25 million guaranteed, which in reality is a hefty paycheck for a 28 year old RB who is testing history with the amount of carries he has.
Yes, people like Dwight Freeney and Cory Redding are getting huge contacts, but that shouldn't mean LJ gets a lot more money. He plays a different position which easier to replace and has a shorter lifespan.
LJ should get a big contract, but we shouldn't just give him his initial request. And as long as he is starting off so high, I think Carl is justified in staring him down and waiting until he comes back with something more reasonable. In the end, its LJ and his agent who need to get a fat contract done more than its the Chiefs who need to sign over that paycheck. If the Chiefs fail in getting LJ to show up for this season, they suffer for a season and move on. If LJ doesn't get a deal done, he sits out a year and tries to convince some team that a 29 year old running back is worth 5-7 years with $25 guaranteed. And if he goes that route, I wish him the best of luck, but I don't think he won't get what he wants.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 02:19 AM
LJ should get a big contract, but we shouldn't just give him his initial request.

LJ and Keels have come down from their original proposal of 34 million guaranteed. The last reported figure was 25 million guaranteed.

Meanwhile the Chiefs have come up from 12...to 15. And haven't budged an inch in TWO MONTHS.

Now how is that fair?

noa
07-27-2007, 02:24 AM
LJ and Keels have come down from their original proposal of 34 million guaranteed. The last reported figure was 25 million guaranteed.

Meanwhile the Chiefs have come up from 12...to 15. And haven't budged an inch in TWO MONTHS.

Now how is that fair?

Yeah, if we're really just pitching him $12 million guaranteed, then I think that's stupid. He's worth more than that.
But once we get over this stare down, that means we can meet half way between 25 and 15 at $20 million guaranteed and that seems pretty reasonable.
I think we're just in the middle of this process and the end result will be something along those lines. Its in everybody's interest to get that done, and LJ doesn't really strike me as someone who would sit out a year while being offered $20 million guaranteed.

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2007, 02:28 AM

Now how is that fair?

You are FAR from impartial. My guess is that regardless of the outcome (LJ remains a Chief or LJ's traded) you'll be happy.

Quite honestly, you've lost ALL credibility in my book. You've shown your TRUE colors.

And they aren't RED.

Direckshun
07-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Can we PLEASE find the middle ground here? Jesus. Either the Chiefs are ****ing idiots for screwing this up or they're geniuses for being uncompromising.

Neither is the case.

The Chiefs are doing the right thing by playing hardball with LJ. The Chiefs have the upper hand. At the end of the day, they can tag LJ for two years, and LJ is not going to hold out of a single NFL game as long as he has a reasonable shot for the hall of fame.

But the Chiefs have just not handled this properly, despite that. You take care of the best players on your team, regardless of how ridiculous their contract offers are. You constantly stay in touch, barter, negotiate, and discuss compromises. You don't make an offer and sit on your ass for two months while you take care of a couple throwaway FA acquisitions and rookie signings.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 03:05 AM
But the Chiefs have just not handled this properly, despite that. You take care of the best players on your team, regardless of how ridiculous their contract offers are. You constantly stay in touch, barter, negotiate, and discuss compromises. You don't make an offer and sit on your ass for two months while you take care of a couple throwaway FA acquisitions and rookie signings.

Bingo. It's pathetic.

My guess is that regardless of the outcome (LJ remains a Chief or LJ's traded) you'll be happy.

I'll be ****ing pissed if LJ plays for anyone else. It would be awful.

Braincase
07-27-2007, 05:37 AM
The reality is we have Larry by the short hairs. He plays this year or he can't opt out of the final two years of his contract. The holdout won't last long.

DenverChief
07-27-2007, 06:05 AM
He'll just hold out again. This would be unprecedented if it happened this way. When has it EVER happened like this? It seems like the player either gets a deal, or is traded.

one of our "great" defensive players held out and came back and played after a one year absence ...Dan Williams sat out 98 in hopes of a better contract and came back in 99 with the contract carl wanted to give him

DenverChief
07-27-2007, 06:08 AM

maybe if they came down another 3 million carl and co would go up another 3 million and we would be at $18 M I'd bet carl would go for 20-21M in guaranteed money

penguinz
07-27-2007, 06:20 AM

Now how is that fair?Exactly. The Chiefs made the last offer. It is Larry's agent's turn to counter.

FAX
07-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Carl vs. the Centaur part deux.

In this episode, Carl reveals his snake hair. These cascading ringlets of hypnotic, hissing serpents come dangerously close to disposing of the Centaur by turning him into a statue (except for his hands which were already stone), hanging a "for sale" tag from his cell phone, and offering his services on e-bay.

FAX

donkhater
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm in agreement with Mecca on this one. With or without LJ, I can't see KC making the playoffs this season.

LJ is under contract. Why should Carl make an offer? He is ALREADY paying him to play for the Chiefs. LJ would have more leverage if KC was a better team and their postseason hopes rode on him. But with Herm's youth movement and Croyle's debut, LJ in uniform is the difference between 4-5 wins and 8-9 wins IMO. Either way, the playoffs aren't likely in the cards.

Chiefnj2
07-27-2007, 07:33 AM
The reality is we have Larry by the short hairs. He plays this year or he can't opt out of the final two years of his contract. The holdout won't last long.

He can hold out 10 games and still void the final 2 years.

Eleazar
07-27-2007, 07:34 AM
GTFO and join the Cowboys board or something.

Chiefnj2
07-27-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm in agreement with Mecca on this one. With or without LJ, I can't see KC making the playoffs this season.

Why?

Assume Huard starts. He went 5-3 last year. With the following improvements why couldn't KC go 10-6 and be a wildcard again?
1. McIntosh over Black at LT.
2. Some consistency with Terry at RT.
3. Holmes, Smith and Bennet available to give LJ a rest, keep some fresh legs in the game and open up the short passing game.
4. Bowe should help the receiving corps.
5. Edwards over Bell at OLB.
6. Continued improvement of Page and Pollard.
7. Tank, Turk and Boone at DT to improve rotation and pass rush.

Skip Towne
07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
GTFO and join the Cowboys board or something.
I'll bet he already has.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Why?

Assume Huard starts. He went 5-3 last year. With the following improvements why couldn't KC go 10-6 and be a wildcard again?
3. Holmes, Smith and Bennet available to give LJ a rest, keep some fresh legs in the game and open up the short passing game.
Well done, that is the way I see it also.

donkhater
07-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Why?

Until this team plays better than a high school team on the road and actually wins a game against a playoff contender after November 1, I'm not getting my hopes up.

They won 3 road games last season. Oakland and Arizona (maybe the two worst teams in the league) and St. Louis (in which over half the crowd was in red). I would argue they really didn't even play well in those games. The ONE road game I thought they did play well in (Denver) they lost in OT. Their performances in Miami, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, SD and Indy were SHAMEFUL. It wasn't that they just got beat, they looked PATHETIC in doing so.

So who are they going to beat on the road this season?

Houston-- in their home opener without LJ (possibly) or Jared Allen?Doubtful
Oakland--Likely, but I wouldn't bet on it
Lions--Maybe
Bears, Chargers, Colts, Broncos, Jets--Unlikely based on what I've seen from this team the last decade.

Throw in some pretty tough home games and I realistically don't see 7 wins from this team this year. Even with LJ. I'd like to know where you think this team can squeeze out 10 wins and get to the playoffs.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Exactly. The Chiefs made the last offer. It is Larry's agent's turn to counter.

See post #12, he refuses to look at this objectively. They have always said love is blind, but ManLove is a new one to me.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Point remains..the Chiefs aren't a contender this year, they'd like to be competitive but in the AFC that much harder than in the NFC. Next year I think they're a playoff contender by year 3 they should be pretty good marginal bowl contender...

I feel by year 3 LJ will be completely done....hence my reason for not wanting to pay him.

What do you mean the Chiefs arent a contender. Name one position that we are not equally as good as last year or better. Trent Green was retarted last year and played like shit. You look at the list of players gone and the list of players added. No way are we a worse team. And the fact remains that LJ will be a Chief, he wants a long term deal because he desirves it. Him holding out should make us happy that he wants a long term deal with KC.

OnTheWarpath15
07-27-2007, 08:10 AM

18M guaranteed for a veteran who's entering his 11th season, who just happens to be one of the GREATEST TE'S IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL.

Why would they offer LJ that much?

htismaqe
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM

:BS:

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 08:33 AM
OK. I've learned some things this morning. The Chiefs aren't to blame for all of this.

dirk digler
07-27-2007, 08:45 AM
OK. I've learned some things this morning. The Chiefs aren't to blame for all of this.

Do tell

ChiefsCountry
07-27-2007, 08:47 AM

No shit sherlock. If you werent trying to kiss LJ's a$$ the whole time you would have realized this.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Do tell

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2007/premiumoe6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

melbar
07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
The Chiefs counter offered and LJ camp refused. Looks like its in their camp to counter offer. Balls in LJ's court to give now.

Mecca
07-27-2007, 10:15 AM
What do you mean the Chiefs arent a contender. Name one position that we are not equally as good as last year or better. Trent Green was retarted last year and played like shit. You look at the list of players gone and the list of players added. No way are we a worse team. And the fact remains that LJ will be a Chief, he wants a long term deal because he desirves it. Him holding out should make us happy that he wants a long term deal with KC.

This years schedule is more difficult.......are the Chiefs a top 6 team in the AFC? I don't think so......

Also I don't think some people are understanding when you play a lot of young players they will make mistakes. We haven't seen that in awhile with the heavy veteran laden teams we've seen. The team can be athletically better and making the right moves for the future but that doesn't always lead to being better right now.

The way Herm wants to play....1 mistake can cost you games...the Chiefs can be a better team that is more athletically talented that wins 6 games this year, actually it wouldn't surprise me at all.

bringbackmarty
07-27-2007, 10:30 AM

**** the Chiefs.
does this mean you are no longer a fan and are going to leave the board???????

Chiefnj2
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
This years schedule is more difficult.......are the Chiefs a top 6 team in the AFC? I don't think so......

Who are the top 6 teams? I'll spot you the Colts and Pats, but after that all I see is parity.

dirk digler
07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/2007/premiumoe6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Where are your loyalties at here or WPI?

Mecca
07-27-2007, 10:36 AM
Who are the top 6 teams? I'll spot you the Colts and Pats, but after that all I see is parity.

I'll go likely division winners first.......

Pats
Ravens
Colts
Chargers

So that gives us 4.....

Then I would say that the Jets, Bengals,Broncos and Jags are marginally better while Buffalo is very similar.

Give or take a few things seeing as I listed marginal the Chiefs are probably around the 8th best team in the AFC.

penguinz
07-27-2007, 10:38 AM

Pats
Ravens
Colts
Chargers

So that gives us 4.....

Then I would say that the Jets, Bengals,Broncos and Jags are marginally better while Buffalo is very similar.

Give or take a few things seeing as I listed marginal the Chiefs are probably around the 8th best team in the AFC.Chargers will not win the division. They will have a big step back this season.

dirk digler
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Pats
Ravens
Colts
Chargers

So that gives us 4.....

Give or take a few things seeing as I listed marginal the Chiefs are probably around the 8th best team in the AFC.

I agree with all of this except the Chargers. Unfortunately the Donkeys will win the division this year

Mecca
07-27-2007, 10:47 AM
You still have to rate the Chargers ahead of us just for talent alone.

ChiefsCountry
07-27-2007, 10:50 AM
The one thing that is in the Chiefs favor is Arrowhead advantage. That can be almost 8 wins plus with games at Houston, Oakland, and Detroit. That could be 11 wins for a team that should only be .500 IMO.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-27-2007, 10:57 AM

**** the Chiefs.
Don't let your man love clog your perspective. Is Larry worth more than he's being paid?...yes. Is he worth as much as he thinks he is...? Doubtful.

I'm impressed too at how a "reporter" like yourself is so ready to jump all over believing what an agent says. I'm sure he's telling the truth 100%. That's the kind of stupidity that keeps you from actually researching your articles before you print whatever shocking drivel you think you've uncovered.

StcChief
07-27-2007, 11:10 AM
Drawing from your vast experience at negotiation here? The ball is in Keels/Johnson court. They need to make the counter offer, pretty simple.
So Larry just doesn't want to go to camp? I thought that was usually reserved for more veteran players.
But he's an Elite player that wants to get paid. Just ask him and his Agent. :rolleyes:

Still can't block or catch but he's Elite.

dirk digler
07-27-2007, 11:12 AM
You still have to rate the Chargers ahead of us just for talent alone.

Well yeah that is what I was saying. The Broncos will win the division and probably the Chargers in 2nd place though Norv Turner sucks major ass so he could ruin pretty much any team he head coaches

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2007, 11:20 AM
The one thing that is in the Chiefs favor is Arrowhead advantage. That can be almost 8 wins plus with games at Houston, Oakland, and Detroit. That could be 11 wins for a team that should only be .500 IMO.

You're smokin' crack. Just because the Chiefs improved a few positions of need doesn't automatically mean that will translate to more wins. Every team in our division has improved through either coaching staff, the draft or free agency.

It would be AWESOME if the Chiefs could win 10 games this year but I think it's gonna be closer to 7 games (if that). The offense has a long, long, long way to go.

FAX
07-27-2007, 11:23 AM
You're smokin' crack. Just because the Chiefs improved a few positions of need doesn't automatically mean that will translate to more wins. Every team in our division has improved through either coaching staff, the draft or free agency.

It would be AWESOME if the Chiefs could win 10 games this year but I think it's gonna be closer to 7 games (if that). The offense has a long, long, long way to go.

True enough about the offense, Mr. DaneMcCloud. This year, our hopes must be pinned on Herm's pride in and emphasis on building a solid defense. The last thing Herm wants is to see his defense fail and that's probably what will determine our fates.

May God have mercy on our souls.

FAX

Chief Roundup
07-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I would like to see LJ stay a Chief but like everyone else not at a horrible inflated rate.

bringbackmarty
07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
and may opposing defenses have mercy on croyle's reads.

Chiefnj2
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Which team in the division improved its coaching staff?

htismaqe
07-27-2007, 12:12 PM

You're gonna have to be more specific about these "improvements" because methinks it's you who's smoking crack...

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2007, 12:35 PM
You're gonna have to be more specific about these "improvements" because methinks it's you who's smoking crack...

Seriously?

Travis Henry - upgrade over Bell.
Cutler over Plummer (all year) - maybe the same, but certainly not worse. And younger.

New defensive coordinator Jim Bates has a very successful record at a D-coordinator. Definitely an upgrade over Croyer.

Josh McCown & most likely, JaMarcus Russell - upgrade over Walter & Brooks. Dominic Rhodes is an upgrade as is the subtraction of Randy Moss.

Lane Kiffin & new offensive staff - as long as didn't get their offensive coordinator from Denny's, this is an upgraded coaching staff.

Chargers - Good draft. Coaching staff may or may not be better than the previous staff. Only time will tell.

There are probably many more that I'm not naming off the top of my head. Are you going seriously suggest that the other AFCW teams haven't made any significant improvements?

keg in kc
07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not all that impressed with these mythical "improvements" the rest of the division has made. It's like there's this unwritten rule in the Chiefs fanbase that says "every move the Chiefs makes sucks and every move the Broncos/Chargers/Raiders make is genious!".

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm not all that impressed with these mythical "improvements" the rest of the division has made. It's like there's this unwritten rule in the Chiefs fanbase that says "every move the Chiefs makes sucks and every move the Broncos/Chargers/Raiders make is genious!".

Are you referring to me, because that's not what I said.

HemiEd
07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
But he's an Elite player that wants to get paid. Just ask him and his Agent. :rolleyes:

Still can't block or catch but he's Elite.

Exactly, if he would even make an all out effort to do those things, I would be all for him getting "his money."
I think 18 million would be generous, considering those things.

keg in kc
07-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Are you referring to me, because that's not what I said.Like I said, I was referring to the Chiefs fanbase in general. Listen to the radio, read message boards, talk to people in bars, you hear the the same thing every year. Not that there isn't some history behind it, goodness knows they have their share of f*ckups out at Arrowhead, and then some, but we're the weirdest fanbase I've ever seen. Somehow they sellout the stadium every year despite the general consensus being that it's eternal doom and gloom, that we'll never win anything because the front office is incompetent and we're in this division where every player our enemies sign will make an enormous impact, simply by default, because nobody else in the west ever messes up in free agency or the draft.

htismaqe
07-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Travis Henry - upgrade over Bell.

Certainly injured more often than Bell.

Cutler over Plummer (all year) - maybe the same, but certainly not worse. And younger.

Somebody's bought the hype.

New defensive coordinator Jim Bates has a very successful record at a D-coordinator. Definitely an upgrade over Croyer.

It's Coyer, and it's an upgrade.

Josh McCown & most likely, JaMarcus Russell - upgrade over Walter & Brooks. Dominic Rhodes is an upgrade as is the subtraction of Randy Moss.

McCown isn't an upgrade over ANYBODY. ROFL And Russell is a rookie on a bad team. History doesn't bode well for guys like that. Jordan was one of the lone bright spots on that dismal team last year and you're calling a career backup an "upgrade".

Lane Kiffin & new offensive staff - as long as didn't get their offensive coordinator from Denny's, this is an upgraded coaching staff.

I sincerely hope you're kidding. Kiffin might be an upgrade SOME DAY, but this is the big stage and he's a n00b. He won't even get a chance to cut his teeth in Oakland before he's fired.

Chargers - Good draft. Coaching staff may or may not be better than the previous staff. Only time will tell.

If it weren't for the 3rd round pick of Waters, San Diego might have had the two biggest reaches of the first day of the draft.

There are probably many more that I'm not naming off the top of my head. Are you going seriously suggest that the other AFCW teams haven't made any significant improvements?

There are DEFINITELY more that I'm not naming. The other AFCW teams haven't done ANYTHING more or less significant than the Chiefs. Period.

DaneMcCloud
07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
There are DEFINITELY more that I'm not naming. The other AFCW teams haven't done ANYTHING more or less significant than the Chiefs. Period.

THAT was my point. Even though the Chiefs *think* they've upgraded their roster, the other AFCW teams *think* they've upgraded as well.

It's not like the Chiefs were the only team to make any moves.

htismaqe
07-27-2007, 02:08 PM
THAT was my point. Even though the Chiefs *think* they've upgraded their roster, the other AFCW teams *think* they've upgraded as well.

It's not like the Chiefs were the only team to make any moves.

If that was your point, why did you respond?

ChiefsCountry said:

Your response was that he was smoking crack.

We beat Denver, San Diego, AND Oakland at home last year. The only way your response even makes sense is if you're insinuating that the other teams in our division have improved MORE than us. If they haven't improved MORE than us, then we should expect that the result would be three wins at home, just like last year.

You just said you weren't insinuating that the other 3 teams improved MORE than us. So methinks you don't really have a point.

El Jefe
07-27-2007, 02:28 PM
LJ is no where near Emmitt Smith IMO.