PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard Beer

Easy 6
07-28-2007, 03:16 PM
After hearing the endless hype about this beer here on the Planet, i finally found some here in the town i recently moved to. I could never find it in Springfield, but Jacksonville carries 2 kinds...Wheat & Pale Ale.

I must say that the hype is well deserved, its a VERY good beer, my fave is prolly the Pale Ale but Wheat is excellent as well.

Thanx to all who plugged this stuff & inspired me to try some... :BLVD:

StcChief
07-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Enjoy. :BLVD:
I picked a Sampler mixed 12 to try the Lunar Ale and the others I have had.

KCChiefsMan
07-28-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't really care for Blvd Wheat, but the Lunar Ale is really good IMO

Bugeater
07-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked on it now too. The bastards here have ruined me for cheap beer.

gblowfish
07-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Today, in honor of Training Camp starting, I picked up some Leinenkugel Honey Weiss...which is a great summer beer.

Leinie is real Wisconsin-land beer. Tasty stuff, although it's now owned by Miller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Leinenkugel_Brewing_Company

JimNasium
07-28-2007, 03:42 PM
How could you not fine it in Springfield? It seems like the stores that carry it outnumber those that don't three to one.

JimNasium
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Today, in honor of Training Camp starting, I picked up some Leinenkugel Honey Weiss...which is a great summer beer.

Leinie is real Wisconsin-land beer. Tasty stuff, although it's now owned by Miller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Leinenkugel_Brewing_Company
I love their "Red" (Vienna lager). It's one of my favorite beers.

StcChief
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked on it now too. The bastards here have ruined me for cheap beer.
Life is too short to drink real cheap beer.

You can do the starter few good ones and switch to "Natty".....

not sure the headache next day is worth it.

irishjayhawk
Lunar is really good with Wheat being a close second. I wish Zon was better but Blue Moon is basically what I wanted Zon to taste like.

Bugeater
How could you not fine it in Springfield? It seems like the stores that carry it outnumber those that don't three to one.
He used to live in Illinois, so he may not be referring to the same Springfield you are.

Bugeater
07-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Life is too short to drink real cheap beer.

You can do the starter few good ones and switch to "Natty".....

not sure the headache next day is worth it.
Eh, I rarely lowered myself to "the natty". :shake: And as long as I stick to beer I'm never hung over. Hard liquor, now that's another story...

Easy 6
07-28-2007, 03:51 PM

Thats a good question, but none of the Springfield Ill grocery stores or even high-end liquor stores carried it.

When i moved to this town, the only real grocer in town carried 2 kinds.

The boxes are cool looking & handy for keeping things in too.

StcChief
07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Lunar is really good with Wheat being a close second. I wish Zon was better but Blue Moon is basically what I wanted Zon to taste like.
I just dipped into the mixed 12 and got a ZON ....it's OK. I agree with Blue Moon. Really like it on draft especially at $1.25 pints during Cards game.

JimNasium
07-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Thats a good question, but none of the Springfield Ill grocery stores or even high-end liquor stores carried it.

When i moved to this town, the only real grocer in town carried 2 kinds.

The boxes are cool looking & handy for keeping things in too.
That explains it. I thought you were in Springfield Missouri. :redface:

StcChief
07-28-2007, 04:21 PM
You can likely get them to "order" since the distrubutor may have access to ZON / Lunar.

For starters just have them get some mixed 12 packs

Baby Lee
07-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Bully Porter MAY have supplanted Guiness as my go to beer. And that's saying something. That little bit of extra porter sweetness is very tasty.

Saulbadguy
07-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Pale Ale is the best of the line. I think their wheat is over-rated. Lunar is very tasty, ZON is awful, IMO.

chagrin
07-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I tell ya what - Boulevard is some killer ale, wish we had it here in Central Florida. American Wheat Ales can't all be Hacker-Pschorr quality you know.

Side note - Blue Moon, which I don't like but if I never tried it I probably wouldn't have discovered Hoegaarden (my ultimate favorite), has released "Honey Moon" a Summer Ale, I have only just seen it for the first time today. However it's probably everywhere else by now.
Haven't tried it but wondering if anyone else has?

JimNasium
07-28-2007, 05:09 PM
I tell ya what - Boulevard is some killer ale, wish we had it here in Central Florida. American Wheat Ales can't all be Hacker-Pschorr quality you know.

Side note - Blue Moon, which I don't like but if I never tried it I probably wouldn't have discovered Hoegaarden (my ultimate favorite), has released "Honey Moon" a Summer Ale, I have only just seen it for the first time today. However it's probably everywhere else by now.
Haven't tried it but wondering if anyone else has?
Do you get any of the Abita lineup in FLA? We get some of their stuff up here.

StcChief
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Just cracked open a Lunar Ale. very nice.

I had the draft 2 months ago....

haven't tried the 'Honey Moon' nor have I seen it.

saw the Hoegarrden in old town ST.Charles on tap. Had the O'Fallon Fest instead.... definitely wanna try that Belgium's got a good knack for making good beer.
(besides Heneken)

chagrin
07-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Do you get any of the Abita lineup in FLA? We get some of their stuff up here.

It's here in some stores but whenever I do look to buy it, it's terribly overpriced. :cuss:

Easy 6
07-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Eh, I rarely lowered myself to "the natty". :shake: And as long as I stick to beer I'm never hung over. Hard liquor, now that's another story...

The "Natty" may well have the worst aftertaste & hangover factor of any beer on the market, thats saying a lot with the likes of Old Mil etc. out there.

The lowest i can go when times are tight is Busch.

KCChiefsMan
07-28-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been planning on making Cosmopolitan's tonight as well as Fuzzy Navel's......OH BOY!!!

j/k

I'm thinking about getting a couple of 6 packs that I haven't had before. Maybe a stout...and maybe a wheat...hmmmmm

StcChief
07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I've been planning on making Cosmopolitan's tonight as well as Fuzzy Navel's......OH BOY!!!

j/k

I'm thinking about getting a couple of 6 packs that I haven't had before. Maybe a stout...and maybe a wheat...hmmmmm
Blvd Dry Stout is good.
the Blvd Wheat is good, try the Shiner Hefe a bit lighter.

chagrin
07-28-2007, 08:21 PM
From the Brewers of Blue Moon comes Honey Moon, Summer Lager. I just went to the store down the road and picked up a 6 pack.

even though many Summer Ales are filtered, I just assumed this one would be unfiltered.

It's not, and they say it's made with:
Honey
Pale Malt
Malted White Wheat

It's not too bad, really mild though - Just my opinion, I am not too thrilled about honey beers.

Buck
07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard

luv
07-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Which Jacksonville are you talking about?

Bowser
07-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard

Liar.

luv
07-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard
Do they even have it in California? I went down to Florida, and they'd never heard of it. I thought it was just a regional thing.

ChiefFan31
07-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard

Would you even know?

Fat Tire is damn good beer.

I really like Boule Wheat though :drool:

Buck
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Would you even know?

Fat Tire is damn good beer.

I really like Boule Wheat though :drool:

Actually I've never had a Boulevard, I just cant imagine a better beer than Fat Tire.

luv
07-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Actually I've never had a Boulevard, I just cant imagine a better beer than Fat Tire.
I tend to like lighter beer.

the Talking Can
07-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard

no sir
-----------

anyways, I found a 6 of "limited edition" Shiner Bavarian Style Amber Ale...I freakin love Shiner Bock, but have never found the others till now...too bad the beer is "eh"...kinda of dull, flat...I expected a lot more

here's a review i pulled somewhere off the web:

"The Beer: The beer pours a bright orange color with a thin, weak looking white head. The head started relatively week, and ended that way as well, quickly disappearing. The nose was of both pale and caramel malts, some slight toastiness, little to know floral scents. The mouth was smooth, effervescent, a bit of a caramel sweetness. A very mild beer, maybe too mild as there wasn't any pop. No vibrancy that I associate with a good lager. Just there, it sat in your mouth. After the first two special brews by Shiner, this was definitely a disappointment. A grade of C for this one only because there was nothing overly offensive about the brew."

chagrin
07-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Okay well, it took me that long to finish the first one - I don't like it; it's got no body, it's boring and too sweet.

Honey Moon:
Thumbs down, IMO

Bob Dole
07-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't really care for Blvd Wheat, but the Lunar Ale is really good IMO

Is it the beer or the unfiltered squirts you dislike?

StcChief
07-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Fat Tire > Boulevard
Fat Tire is good but can't drink too many they are very filling.
A bit over-rated

Ceej
07-28-2007, 09:10 PM
I tried Blue Moon the other day. I downed two and then I was done. Not impressed.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Boulevard Wheat on draft has to be the best beer out there, in my honest opinion. I love anything that boulevard makes, especially the bully porter. The Stout they make is also very good.

ChiefFan31
07-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Yeah Fat Tire is damn tasty, but Boulevard is quite good.

That reminds me, I havent had any in awhile but Anchor Steam is damn good :drool:

Stone Pale Ale is getting popular round these parts, I would recommend giving it a shot.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah Fat Tire is damn tasty, but Boulevard is quite good.

That reminds me, I havent had any in awhile but Anchor Steam is damn good :drool:

Stone Pale Ale is getting popular round these parts, I would recommend giving it a shot.

man, anchor steam was some damn good shit. I had one a couple months ago and loved every drop of it.

ChiefFan31
07-28-2007, 09:52 PM
man, anchor steam was some damn good shit. I had one a couple months ago and loved every drop of it.

It really is good. One of the better beers out there IMHO. Micro-brew from Bay area, but you can get it in KC.

Its like 8 or 9 bucks a six pack out here though...

HonestChieffan
07-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Springfield was a great place to buy Stag beer really cheap back in the 60s and 70s. Sometimes Blatz was cheaper but usually Stag was your best buy.

kcfan82
07-29-2007, 09:05 AM
I bought a mixed 12 last night... I think Zon and Lunar are ok, I like the Bully Porter and the Stout.

However the best beer Boulevard makes is a seasonal and it's not even close IMO

http://www.boulevard.com/irishale.htm

Easy 6
07-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Which Jacksonville are you talking about?

Jacksonville, Illinois... (British accent)luv.

luv
07-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I bought a mixed 12 last night... I think Zon and Lunar are ok, I like the Bully Porter and the Stout.

However the best beer Boulevard makes is a seasonal and it's not even close IMO

http://www.boulevard.com/irishale.htm
I buoght the same mixer last weekend. The Bully Porter and Dry Stout were just a little too much for me. The Lunar Ale is about as dark as I like.

Lzen
12-23-2007, 02:43 PM
So, I picked up a brewer's pack the other day. Just now trying the Lunar. It's alright. Not as good as wheat and especially the Pale. The Bob's 47 isn't bad. I really like the Bully Porter. :)

StcChief
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I got the 12 Pack Sampler. Thought they might put in the new beer. The Nut Cracker decent.

Got a sixer of the Liene "Big Butt" Dopplebock very smooth

BigChiefFan
12-23-2007, 04:04 PM
no sir
-----------

I love that answer to someone thinking Fat Tire is better than Boulevard.

Fat Tire is a very good beer, but it has nothing on Boulevard. The Lunar Ale is the tastyess(made up word) beer, I've ever consumed. Wheat is a close runner up, IMO. The Pale Ale is even a delicious change of pace.

Boulevard is a fine brewery-they know beer.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I love that answer to someone thinking Fat Tire is better than Boulevard.

Fat Tire is a very good beer, but it has nothing on Boulevard. The Lunar Ale is the tastyess(made up word) beer, I've ever consumed. Wheat is a close runner up, IMO. The Pale Ale is even a delicious change of pace.

Boulevard is a fine brewery-they know beer.
Fat Tire is just one beer in the line of New Belgium beers. I don't think that is fair to compare one beer to an entire line.

BigChiefFan
12-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Fat Tire is just one beer in the line of New Belgium beers. I don't think that is fair to compare one beer to an entire line.
I didn't compare it to a complete line. Boulevard Brewing Company has ALOT more beers than what I mentioned. I just stated that Boulevard is better than Fat Tire. Typically, saying a Boulevard implies the wheat.

Dunit35
07-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Anybody ever been on their public tour? Is it worth going? Last time we tried we showed upa fairly early and it was sold out.

kysirsoze
07-11-2015, 11:43 PM
Whoa. Epic bump.

The tour was cool when I did it. Pretty typical amongst brewery tours, and the tasting at the end is predictably great. Been a few years since I did it, though. Don't know if it's any different.

phisherman
07-11-2015, 11:49 PM
Boulevard tours are always a hoot.

Dunit35
07-12-2015, 12:11 AM
We're going to try and go some time between 8-11/13. Hopefully one of those days isn't sold out.

kysirsoze
07-12-2015, 12:18 AM
We're going to try and go some time between 8-11/13. Hopefully one of those days isn't sold out.

Can't you reserve in advance?

Dunit35
07-12-2015, 12:33 AM
Can't you reserve in advance?

Not for the free public tour. I'd do one of the reserved tours and pay the $20 but it's 21 and up entry. We have a two year old and a two month old.

bigbucks24
07-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Not for the free public tour. I'd do one of the reserved tours and pay the $20 but it's 21 and up entry. We have a two year old and a two month old.

Get 'em fake ID's.

Ceej
07-12-2015, 09:08 AM

I tweeted at them once asking about it, telling them I was from out of town and they were nice enough to reserve a couple of tickets for me.

Marcellus
07-12-2015, 09:20 AM
Anybody ever been on their public tour? Is it worth going? Last time we tried we showed upa fairly early and it was sold out.

I have gone probably 3 times in the last 10 or so years, and it has changed quit a bit from the beginning. I went last year and it was a little disappointing as it seems to have turned into a similar tour to Budweiser where you just stop and watch silly videos at different locations.

It used to be a very informative fun kind of in detail brewery tour and its more simply commercialized now.

I am not saying don't go, but don't have huge expectations.

I also know these tours can vary greatly depending on who your guide is.

Ceej
07-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Our guide was Glen (?). He is a black dude who looks like he belongs singing in Static-X.

Great guide.

Dartgod
07-13-2015, 06:18 AM
I did the Smokestack tour last year. $20.

It was very cool. They poured us a glass of Tank 7 to drink as we walked through the tour. Then a food pairing tasting after the tour. After that was done we had another 20-30 minutes in the tasting room to sample whatever we wanted. Well worth the money.