PDA

View Full Version : WHITLOCK: Edwards deserves better as camp turns into a circus

CoMoChief
07-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Good lord..... :shake:

RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Saturday, I felt sorry for Herm Edwards. The man truly does have a vision of what he’d like to accomplish this season, and he has a chance to do it.

But this training camp is going to be a circus, and his voice might just get drowned out by all the confusion.

Saturday morning, Priest Holmes allegedly was on his way to River Falls. For what purpose? No one is really sure. He might want a role in HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” He might be after a paycheck. He could be a pawn in Carl Peterson’s contract negotiations with Larry Johnson. Or, there’s even the remote possibility that Holmes just wants to play football again.

There were no real clues Saturday.

“The only thing I’m 100 percent sure of is what I do,” Edwards responded when asked of his certainty that Holmes would report to camp. “I don’t control what everybody else does, and I don’t try to control it. If he shows up, that’s great.”

Coaches surrender control grudgingly. This camp is going to test Edwards’ ability to go with the flow.

The HBO cameras could very well have everyone in the organization acting out and hamming it up. How else to explain Carl Peterson’s curious decision to tell the Associated Press that Larry Johnson is not as good as LaDainian Tomlinson?

Although true, the statement in no way improves Kansas City’s negotiating position with Johnson. The comment only ensures that the chip on LJ’s shoulder grows bigger and that HBO will have to focus most of its attention on King Carl and his tough-guy negotiating tactics.

Seriously, “Hard Knocks” is Peterson’s last piece of sunshine. He’s not going down in NFL history. He’s not Bill Polian or George Young. They don’t do football documentaries on front office penny-pinchers and cost-cutters.

This is Peterson’s opportunity to define his NFL legacy. I’m sure HBO producers shot down Peterson’s idea about a one-on-one interview discussing the art of raising parking and ticket prices without postseason success. So Peterson is going with plan B — an extensive look at the bullying techniques that made him the most despised GM in sports.

I fully expect Peterson to go “Ethan Locke” on Johnson and his agent before training camp is over.

There’s no real reason to mention that Kansas City’s first-round pick, Dwayne Bowe, isn’t in training camp. Contract disputes with draft picks are a Chiefs tradition, right along with first-round playoff losses and tailgating.

Week one of “Hard Knocks” should be called “Carl’s Chaos” and focus solely on the contract squabbles Peterson has with Johnson, Jared Allen and Bowe.

Hey, I know it gets old reading me second-guess and bash Peterson. But the simple reality is his personality and leadership style aren’t conducive to winning. Peterson is too much of a fighter. He’d make a better newspaper columnist/journalist than football general manager. Peterson can’t turn down a fight or a chance to pat himself on the back.

He took his little pit bull, Bob Gretz, off his leash and let him bark about how everyone is wrong about Priest Holmes and Peterson’s role in Holmes’ return.

The point — of Gretz’s whining — seemed to be that Peterson has absolutely zero control over Holmes. I guess, we’re supposed to believe this is a good thing. Not if you’re Herm Edwards and you’re trying to build chemistry.

The gossip around River Falls was that Holmes was running late because he’s planning to hit camp in an RV. He doesn’t want to stay in a dorm room. Holmes wants to be treated like Roger Clemens.

Edwards is as flexible as any NFL coach I’ve ever met. But at the end of the day, Herm needs to retain a little control. He needs Larry Johnson, Jared Allen and Dwayne Bowe somewhat happy, somewhat cooperative and on the field.

Herm could do without a 33-year-old running back with an obviou$ agenda and an ego-driven, loud-mouthed GM.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
This is starting to get comical.

DaneMcCloud
07-28-2007, 09:57 PM
Yowza! This could make for the best reality television show ever! :shake:

blueballs
07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
poor Fatlock
no cameos for you

FAX
07-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Was this actually published? It's chock-full of grammatical errors. I think Whittlelock may have shaved a little too close.

Oh, and for what it's worth ... A Famous Clown From History!!!

<b>Felix Adler (1895-1960): "The Gloom Dispeller"</b>

Grew up on a small farm outside of Clinton, Iowa, with his father Joseph and mother Nettie. Some accounts state that he left home and went to join Ringling Brothers Circus at the age of ten or thirteen. Inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1989.

FAX

the Talking Can
07-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Whitlock acting like a 5 year old....

Mr. Flopnuts
07-28-2007, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Whitlock]

Hey, I know it gets old reading me second-guess and bash Peterson. But the simple reality is his personality and leadership style aren’t conducive to winning. Peterson is too much of a fighter. He’d make a better newspaper columnist/journalist than football general manager. Peterson can’t turn down a fight or a chance to pat himself on the back. [QUOTE]

I wonder if this guy visits the planet often. It seems like he does sometimes.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Great column. I agree 100 percent.

cdcox
07-28-2007, 10:04 PM
No sooner do I get rid of that circus offense than I have to deal with a circus training camp! /herm

FAX
07-28-2007, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=Jason Whitlock]

Hey, I know it gets old reading me second-guess and bash Peterson. But the simple reality is his personality and leadership style aren’t conducive to winning. Peterson is too much of a fighter. He’d make a better newspaper columnist/journalist than football general manager. Peterson can’t turn down a fight or a chance to pat himself on the back. [QUOTE]

I wonder if this guy visits the planet often. It seems like he does sometimes.

He's been here a long time, it appears, Mr. Mr. Flopnuts. I don't think he reads the posts, though. Otherwise, his writing would improve.

FAX

tk13
07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Can't be any worse than when we had guys getting in barfights every other night.

the Talking Can
07-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Can't be any worse than when we had guys getting in barfights every other night.

or last year with Roaf retiring, Kennison threatening to hold out, Law's health etc...

osumatt
07-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Jesus! I'm so f'n sick and tired of this dude whining about Carl Peterson. There are other things to bitch about and not all troubles and/or problems with our beloved Chiefs rest in the hands of King Carl. Whitlock reminds me of the little kid in grade school who has a crush on a girl and to show how much he really likes her he decides to punch her.

This guy's routine is stale; very, very stale indeed. Whitlock needs to get a life and broaden his horizons. When a "journalist" becomes one dimensional and a reader already knows what is in the article before he/she reads it...it's just plain sad.

Matt

BigRedChief
07-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Was this actually published? It's chock-full of grammatical errors. I think Whittlelock may have shaved a little too close.
FAX
the link:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/v-print/story/209720.html

blueballs
07-28-2007, 10:11 PM
he needs a mirror to pee

the Talking Can
07-28-2007, 10:15 PM
he needs a mirror to pee

that's what redrum's mom is for...

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Otherwise, his writing would improve.

FAX

Whitlock's writing appears flawless to me. Perhaps you can point out his errors?

FAX
07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Whitlock's writing appears flawless to me. Perhaps you can point out his errors?

I'll parse it when I have a moment, Mr. GoChiefs. I'm kinda busy right now. But, meanwhile, here's another Famous Clown From History!!!

<b>Don Burda (1935 - Present): "Homer the Happy Hobo"</b>

In 1960, moved to California to pursue a theatrical career, and during a period of 15 years was cast in thirty-eight stage productions. But in 1970 a children's theater troupe asked him to play the role of a clown, and he fell in love with the art of clowning. By 1972, he had created his character, Homer, a happy tramp clown. Inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1995.

FAX

cdcox
07-28-2007, 10:25 PM

Oh, and for what it's worth ... A Famous Clown From History!!!

<b>Felix Adler (1895-1960): "The Gloom Dispeller"</b>

Grew up on a small farm outside of Clinton, Iowa, with his father Joseph and mother Nettie. Some accounts state that he left home and went to join Ringling Brothers Circus at the age of ten or thirteen. Inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1989.

FAX

tk13
07-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I sure hope the elephants don't crap all over the field. Nothing slows down our running game worse than elephant crap.

kcxiv
07-28-2007, 10:26 PM
i couldnt read it all. He's just trying to hard to get under Carls' skin. This is a worthless piece of shit article. I am not Carl's biggest fan, but this article is worthless

ChiefFan31
Whitlock acting like a 5 year old....

Seems like it to me. This is more of a bash piece.

Yes, training camp has finally started, but I am waiting for some football.

Hammock Parties
i couldnt read it all.

It always amuses me when people say this, and then judge the article. Do you have ADD or something?

kcxiv
07-28-2007, 10:31 PM
It always amuses me when people say this, and then judge the article. Do you have ADD or something?
I read the first 2 paragraphs. I couldnt read any further. It was that bad to me. That better?

tk13
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
If Carl wouldn't be so thrifty and buy us a better circus, we wouldn't be so bored.

GoHuge
07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Jesus! I'm so f'n sick and tired of this dude whining about Carl Peterson. There are other things to bitch about and not all troubles and/or problems with our beloved Chiefs rest in the hands of King Carl. Whitlock reminds me of the little kid in grade school who has a crush on a girl and to show how much he really likes her he decides to punch her.

This guy's routine is stale; very, very stale indeed. Whitlock needs to get a life and broaden his horizons. When a "journalist" becomes one dimensional and a reader already knows what is in the article before he/she reads it...it's just plain sad.

MattYeah this seems like the same story over and over and over and over. New material please.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I read the first 2 paragraphs. I couldnt read any further. It was that bad to me. That better?

Saturday, I felt sorry for Herm Edwards. The man truly does have a vision of what he’d like to accomplish this season, and he has a chance to do it.

But this training camp is going to be a circus, and his voice might just get drowned out by all the confusion.

What was so horrible about this?

cdcox
07-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll parse it when I have a moment, Mr. GoChiefs. I'm kinda busy right now. But, meanwhile, here's another Famous Clown From History!!!

<b>Don Burda (1935 - Present): "Homer the Happy Hobo"</b>

In 1960, moved to California to pursue a theatrical career, and during a period of 15 years was cast in thirty-eight stage productions. But in 1970 a children's theater troupe asked him to play the role of a clown, and he fell in love with the art of clowning. By 1972, he had created his character, Homer, a happy tramp clown. Inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1995.

FAX

Took me several tries to capture Homer the Happy Hobo.

kcxiv
07-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Ok, i read a little bit more then that. I didnt keep the exact count, but i read up until he was doing nothing but trying to bash CP yet again. To me that was stale and old. Its like beating a dead ****ing horse. There's nothing more he can do. Is he going to try to throw a camp out at CP's house again? btw i doubt that ever happend. He probably got hungry and went to eat some ribs n forgot about it.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Jason doesn't always criticize King Carl. Last year he congratulated him for trading for Michael Bennett and signing Ty Law.

Deberg_1990
07-28-2007, 10:44 PM
I wonder if Jason is starting to get a little bored covering the Chiefs after what, like 13 or 14 years??

So he keeps writing these columns to keep himself amused and to stir the pot of course.

Your beating a long dead horse Jason. Yes, we know CP sucks. Your preaching to the choir, but even that gets old after the 5428th time.

Maybe its time for him to move to a new NFL city and cover a different team?? Honestly...

Bob Dole
07-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I wonder if Jason is starting to get a little bored covering the Chiefs after what, like 13 or 14 years??

How could he not be a little bored? It's damned hard not to be bored as a fan.

FAX
07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
All too true, Mr. Bob Dole.

That's why we need another ... Famous Clown From History!!!

<b>Bob Keeshan (1927 - 2004): "Captain Kangaroo/Clarabell"</b>

Created Clarabell for The Howdy Doody Show. Fired by Buffalo Bob in 1950 because he couldn’t play a musical instrument. Inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1990.

FAX

Deberg_1990
07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
How could he not be a little bored? It's damned hard not to be bored as a fan.

Hes not a fan. Hes originally from Indiana.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Check out King Carl's grandpa pants:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5784/pm20070728568te1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Gretz gets fatter every year:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5096/pm20070728574jv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bob Dole
07-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Hes not a fan. Hes originally from Indiana.
That's the point.

It's hard not to be a little bored with the same tired mediocrity season after season, when you truly love this team. How could you not be bored with the shit when the only reason you pay any attention at all is because it's your job?

Hammock Parties
07-28-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm guessing Whitlock is more of a fan than anyone here realizes. It's very hard to cover a team daily and go to all their games and not start to root for them just a little bit.

Red Dawg
07-28-2007, 11:58 PM
He said Holmes would never retrurn and he did so infantille Jason is pissed off. Where the hell is this circus but in his mind?

Hammock Parties
07-29-2007, 12:02 AM
He said Holmes would never return ?

Wrong.

unothadeal
07-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Wrong.

Right.

Priest Holmes has no intention of playing tackle football again. Matter of fact, Priest probably has no intention of playing flag football again. Let me take it a step further: Priest won’t play Xbox football again.

Mojo Rising
07-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Matt

If J Dubb is so smart then why doesn't he offer any strategies on how we could do things better? According to his past colums, we were going un-defeated when we signed McGlockton, we needed Ty Law to win a SB, we should have signed Jeff George.

Other than that, I don't remember many other suggestions on what we could do better. The other colums are just complaints on how things didn't work out as planned.

We don't drive our cars through the rear view mirror, hind sight is 20 -20...

What was 1 J Whit call that Carl should have followed? He offers nothing.

JW, just don't complain...offer suggestions on how it can be improved.

Hammock Parties
07-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Right.

That still doesn't mean he was wrong. Until Priest is on the field in a real NFL game, Whitlock is right.

unothadeal
07-29-2007, 01:10 AM
That still doesn't mean he was wrong. Until Priest is on the field in a real NFL game, Whitlock is right.
I'm not arguing whether he's wrong. I'm arguing the fact that he said Priest was done.

DaKCMan AP
07-29-2007, 01:14 AM
So Peterson is going with plan B — an extensive look at the bullying techniques that made him the most despised GM in sports.

Bullshit.

Hey, I know it gets old reading me second-guess and bash Peterson.

So ****ing STOP!

HemiEd
07-29-2007, 01:20 AM

Matt

DaneMcCloud
07-29-2007, 01:24 AM
Yeah this seems like the same story over and over and over and over. New material please.

New material will come when there's a new GM. Like in 2010.

DaneMcCloud
07-29-2007, 01:27 AM
JW, just don't complain...offer suggestions on how it can be improved.

Why? His suggestions would be no more valid than any fan or member of this forum. Besides that, his job isn't to offer suggestions, it's to make comments and editorials on decisions that have been made.

You know, a critic.

BigRock
07-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Whitlock doesn't even think he's right. Why do you think he's working so hard to spin this story?

Mojo Rising
07-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Why? His suggestions would be no more valid than any fan or member of this forum. Besides that, his job isn't to offer suggestions, it's to make comments and editorials on decisions that have been made.

You know, a critic.

Because it would justify his opinion. What makes this guy so worthy of being the voice of the Chief fan base?

In other papers I read the columnists usually offer an alternative. J Witt has probably shied away from this because every suggestion he has made has been wrong.

It is his job to write colums, during the draft and free agency periods, on what the Chiefs should do.

I would much rather read that than some weird colum written by Homer where he acts like a therapist to Chief fans.

He has been wrong on every call he has made. If he deserves the space on the paper and website then he needs to justify his insight and knowledge.

DaneMcCloud
07-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Because it would justify his opinion. What makes this guy so worthy of being the voice of the Chief fan base?

In other papers I read the columnists usually offer an alternative. J Witt has probably shied away from this because every suggestion he has made has been wrong.

It is his job to write colums, during the draft and free agency periods, on what the Chiefs should do.

I would much rather read that than some weird colum written by Homer where he acts like a therapist to Chief fans.

He has been wrong on every call he has made. If he deserves the space on the paper and website then he needs to justify his insight and knowledge.

I guess we disagree. I like columnists like T.J. Simers here in L.A. who discredits and puts down *everyone*, taking them off the mantle and bringing them back to earth.

I think that JWhit just picks on CP because he's an easy target after 18 years. And he's right.

Mojo Rising
07-29-2007, 01:52 AM
An example would be Len Dawson. He is a negative analyst but at least he offers what could - should be done.

He doesn't just say - the Chiefs will never win if they dont pass protect. Lenny offers what the Chiefs should do to be succesful.

Anyone who has been on this board for a few years has the ability to describe what has been going wrong. I would like to see him put some skin in the game and suggest what he thinks we should do.

J Witt has access to athletes, a press pass, stuff we don't have. I think he tried it a few times and was terribly wrong and realized he is better off just complaining about things than putting his neck on the line.

Bob Dole
07-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Do we need to have the "journalist versus columnist" discussion again?

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Do we need to have the "journalist versus columnist" discussion again?

Do we need to have the "journalist/columnist versus 400-pound 14-year old throwing a hissy fit" discussion again?

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 05:55 AM

Just HOOOOLLLDDDD ON, for one more day, thing's will go your way!

penchief
07-29-2007, 06:10 AM
The amazing thing is that he had the perfect title and storyline. This camp is going to be a circus at a most inconvenient time. Right when we are beginning to see this team growing. And I think the biggest distraction is that HBO is there. I kinda wish they weren't.

And I think Priest coming back is a distraction. When evaluating his behavior over the past two years it is difficult to know what his motives are. I wouldn't be so sure that it's because he wants to help this team win football games. My first reaction when hearing him announce his return after keeping the team and its fans in the dark for two years was........HBO. Priest has the personality to be on TV. And I think he knows that.

Then, instead of touching on the LJ negotiations as being part of that circus, Whitlock showed his true motives by turning the entire article into a personal attack on Carl Peterson.

It's a shame that the article was aptly titled and began with so much promise only for Whitlock to end up contributing to the very circus he accuses Carl Peterson of orchestrating.

Braincase
07-29-2007, 06:14 AM
JWhit is more or less saying, "Don't pay attention to that circus... pay attention to ME!".

el borracho
07-29-2007, 07:58 AM
1. How many first round picks are in training camp this year?
2. How many of us believe the current system for negotiating rookie contracts is a good one?
3. How much of the blame for this system does Carl Peterson deserve?

Bob Dole
07-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Do we need to have the "journalist/columnist versus 400-pound 14-year old throwing a hissy fit" discussion again?

At least that one includes all-you-can-eat ice cream!

Direckshun
07-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Carl Peterson -- THE MOST HATED GM IN SPORTS.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

NOT Steinbrenner. Not Jerry Jones. Not Mark Cuban.

CARL PETERSON. hahahahaha

pikesome
07-29-2007, 08:34 AM

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Maybe by Mormons.

Bowser
07-29-2007, 08:35 AM

hahahahahahahahahahaha

He's one tough S.O.B.

Direckshun
07-29-2007, 08:37 AM
To have all that hate focused on a guy maybe 10% of serious sports fans even know by name... now that's a serious amount of hate.

mlyonsd
I don't know how Priest will do but for some strange reason I'm glad he's in our TC instead of the Donkey's.

stevieray
STEVIERAY: Planet deserves better as Whitlock turns his column into a circus.

mlyonsd
07-29-2007, 08:38 AM
It's a shame that the article was aptly titled and began with so much promise only for Whitlock to end up contributing to the very circus he accuses Carl Peterson of orchestrating.

No chit.

wazu
07-29-2007, 08:39 AM
2. How many of us believe the current system for negotiating rookie contracts is a good one?

1. I couldn't find a list of draft picks for all teams, but I did find this...

Broncos have signed all draft picks. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=6997)

and this...

Charges have signed all draft picks. (http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-agree-to.htm)

2. Not me. It's a bad system, made worse when a team's owner is cheap.

3. I'm not going to let Carl hide behind a bad "system". That's the excuse of every bad manager.

the Talking Can
07-29-2007, 08:46 AM
shouldn't you have to wait, oh say at least 48 hours after camp opens to declare it a circus?

or am I just old-fashioned?

wazu
07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
shouldn't you have to wait, oh say at least 48 hours after camp opens to declare it a circus?

or am I just old-fashioned?

It's invevitable that the declaration is going to happen, so might as well get it in the Sunday edition.

el borracho
07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Looks like as of a few days ago there were 18 first round picks unsigned. Seriously, Carl does plenty of stupid stuff but he is not alone when it comes to signing first round picks.

edit: link to page updated on the 27th
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/656380.html

Direckshun
07-29-2007, 08:54 AM
The stalls aren't from Carl being cheap, it's from a poor combination of guys that have to do the negotiating.

Bowe will pan out eventually, it's LJ that scares me. We need to get him settled NOW.

TEX
07-29-2007, 08:55 AM
As a life long fans of the Kansas City Chiefs, we deserve better than the 19-year-circus known as the Carl Peterson-Era whereby every team that has been in the division when he arrived has at least played in a Super Bowl EXCEPT the Chiefs. I certainly don't feel that Herm "deserves better" - he's the latest ring leader.

Sorry for the rant, my plan is to get it all out in preseason so I'll be positive for the start of the regular season...

pikesome
07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
As a life long fans of the Kansas City Chiefs, we deserve better than the 19-year-circus known as the Carl Peterson-Era whereby every team that has been in the division when he arrived has at least played in a Super Bowl EXCEPT the Chiefs. I certainly don't feel that Herm "deserves better" - he's the latest ring leader.

Sorry for the rant, my plan is to get it all out in preseason so I'll be positive for the start of the regular season...

How much blame does Marty get for part of that 19 year circus? CP isn't the best by a long shot but not every problem the Chiefs have had is his doing.

TEX
07-29-2007, 08:59 AM
There’s no real reason to mention that Kansas City’s first-round pick, Dwayne Bowe, isn’t in training camp. Contract disputes with draft picks are a Chiefs tradition, right along with first-round playoff losses and tailgating.

Has Whitless forgotten about LJ's 1st contract? :hmmm:

TEX
07-29-2007, 09:00 AM
How much blame does Marty get for part of that 19 year circus? CP isn't the best by a long shot but not every problem the Chiefs have had is his doing.

Yeah - I know. But the # 1 guy in charge of football operations gets most of the blame by default. Besides, he's the longest tenured GM in all of sports, so he's had the longest time to at least get there. Right?

el borracho
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM
By the way, does anyone really think that Carl's statement about LJ will make any difference at all in the contract negotiations? I don't. Again, Carl makes plenty of bad decisions, but publicly noting that LJ is not on par with LT was not one of them.

el borracho
07-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh, out of curiousity, did anyone besides Whitlock think that Gretz' latest article was whining?

pikesome
07-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah - I know. But the # 1 guy in charge of football operations gets most of the blame by default. Besides, he's the longest tenured GM in all of sports, so he's had the longest time to at least get there. Right?

Sticking with Marty was, perhaps, one of his biggest mistakes but considering that SD hired him and then let him choke for them too you have to forgive CP a bit for staying by Marty. Every GM would love to have the winningest regular season coach coaching their team.

Hammock Parties
07-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Oh, out of curiousity, did anyone besides Whitlock think that Gretz' latest article was whining?

About the Priest thing? Yeah. I'm not a big fan of his work lately. That LJ column he wrote the other day was boring and contained no new insight or information.

TEX
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Sticking with Marty was, perhaps, one of his biggest mistakes but considering that SD hired him and then let him choke for them too you have to forgive CP a bit for staying by Marty. Every GM would love to have the winningest regular season coach coaching their team.

I do. And I understand your point. My deal with Peterson is based upon time and what has not been accomplished during his tenure. Under him, the Chiefs have yet been able to field a complete team. It's been either loaded offensively or defensively. Now we're headed back to defensively. It's gotten old in my book.

milkman
07-29-2007, 09:25 AM

I think AJ Smith would disagree with that last sentence.

Coogs
07-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I do. And I understand your point. My deal with Peterson is based upon time and what has not been accomplished during his tenure. Under him, the Chiefs have yet been able to field a complete team. It's been either loaded offensively or defensively. Now we're headed back to defensively. It's gotten old in my book.

Defensive team means a loud and rowdy Arrowhead crowd for the full 60 minutes. Looking forward to it!

pikesome
07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I think AJ Smith would disagree with that last sentence.

Two points:

1. AJ Smith is a douche

2. Hindsight is always pretty good.

milkman
07-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Two points:

1. AJ Smith is a douche

Why, because he's smart enough to know that Marty can't get it done, and is a terrible talent evaluator?

2. Hindsight is always pretty good.

What does hindsight have to do with anything?
Smith didn't hire Marty, John Butler did.

Smith wanted to shitcan Marty almost from the moment he replaced Butler.

pikesome
07-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Why, because he's smart enough to know that Marty can't get it done, and is a terrible talent evaluator?

What does hindsight have to do with anything?
Smith didn't hire Marty, John Butler did.

Smith wanted to shitcan Marty almost from the moment he replaced Butler.

The way AJ Smith handled the situation was incredibly poor, the GM should be able to handle himself and his team better. I'm also not so sure Smith wanted to can Marty because he didn't believe in him or because they didn't get along.

Regardless, the point was that CP wasn't the only one who thought Marty was a good coach. Much like the Simms pick, sure it turned out bad but a lot of other teams were in agreement with KC on him. Some of CP's screw-ups other GMs would have made too.

Skip Towne
07-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Fatlock has hated CP ever since his arrival in 1994. He expected the red carpet treatment with open access to the front office. CP wouldn't (and won't) give him the time of day. I'm sick and tired of him.

Mojo Rising
07-29-2007, 10:14 AM
The way AJ Smith handled the situation was incredibly poor, the GM should be able to handle himself and his team better. I'm also not so sure Smith wanted to can Marty because he didn't believe in him or because they didn't get along.

Regardless, the point was that CP wasn't the only one who thought Marty was a good coach. Much like the Simms pick, sure it turned out bad but a lot of other teams were in agreement with KC on him. Some of CP's screw-ups other GMs would have made too.

AJ Smith has done a great job at selecting players. My guess is that the owner has a say in the Coach. Once Marty let his coordinators go and selected Kirk as the Def Coordinator Smith finally had enough ammo to persuade Spanos to can Marty.

The timing was bad for SD because the only coach left was a coordinator. Norv is not a Head Coach.

Lzen
07-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I have said several times in the past year that I thought Whitlock's columns were getting much better. Unfortunately, this one is nothing but more of his personal agenda of Carl bashing. While CP may not be considered the best GM in the league, I would hardly call him the most despised in sports. That's hyperbole. It's a shame that he is reverting back to his old ways (seems there was another column recently that was also more crap).

GC, do you honestly believe that JW is still correct in that Holmes won't play in another NFL game? Why do you think that Holmes is there at camp? Don't you think that if he is attending camp that he plans on playing? What are you going to say when he proves JW wrong in a couple weeks?

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 10:20 AM
1. I couldn't find a list of draft picks for all teams, but I did find this...

Broncos have signed all draft picks. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=6997)

and this...

Charges have signed all draft picks. (http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/chargers-agree-to.htm)

2. Not me. It's a bad system, made worse when a team's owner is cheap.

3. I'm not going to let Carl hide behind a bad "system". That's the excuse of every bad manager.

How about this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10245904

Carl isn't hiding behind anything. Quinn isn't signed and Merriweather just signed this morning -terms undisclosed.

Slotting is slotting.

Lzen
07-29-2007, 10:21 AM

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner!!!

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Has Whitless forgotten about LJ's 1st contract? :hmmm:

Or DJ's?

Or Tamba's?

Fact is, we've had ONE 1st-round holdout since 2000 and that was Ryan Sims.

DaneMcCloud
07-29-2007, 10:39 AM

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'm sure there are very, very few people outside of Chiefs fans who even know his name.

milkman
07-29-2007, 11:22 AM

I don't know that AJ Smith handled it poorly.

I don't recall hearing or reading anything that Smith said or did that was anything more than rumors.

Marty and the Spanos' handled it poorly.

It seems that whenever Marty and a GM start to have problems, those problems become a matter of public knowledge.

I understood your point.

My point was that not all GMs have such a high regard for Marty.

I'd bet that there are others, aside from Smith, who would rather hire almost anyone but Marty.

milkman
07-29-2007, 11:24 AM
AJ Smith has done a great job at selecting players. My guess is that the owner has a say in the Coach. Once Marty let his coordinators go and selected Kirk as the Def Coordinator Smith finally had enough ammo to persuade Spanos to can Marty.

The timing was bad for SD because the only coach left was a coordinator. Norv is not a Head Coach.

The owner definitely has a say, and wouldn't allow Smith to fire Marty after the playoff loss to the Jets.

If Smith had had his way, Marty would have been gone before that.

Brock
07-29-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't know that AJ Smith handled it poorly.

If you waited until all the good coaches were already hired, even the ones you had on your current staff, to fire your current coach, you handled it badly. Botched it, in fact. At that point, they would have been better off just leaving Marty in place.

milkman
07-29-2007, 11:48 AM
If you waited until all the good coaches were already hired, even the ones you had on your current staff, to fire your current coach, you handled it badly. Botched it, in fact. At that point, they would have been better off just leaving Marty in place.

That's on the Spanos.

Smith wanted to fire Marty in '05.
He wanted to fire him right after the Patriot playoff loss last season .

Smith didn't actually fire him.

The Spanos family did.

pikesome
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM

As well as spent a season being unsupportive. A GM shouldn't treat his coach like that, it doesn't matter if the owner made the call or not. I wouldn't have liked having Marty as my HC either but the proper course is to be a professional and not take shots at him the whole season.

dirk digler
07-29-2007, 11:52 AM
That's on the Spanos.

Smith wanted to fire Marty in '05.
He wanted to fire him right after the Patriot playoff loss last season .

Smith didn't actually fire him.

The Spanos family did.

That is correct the Spanos wouldn't allow it because they hadn't decided who to fire, Marty or Smith.

TEX
07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Or DJ's?

Or Tamba's?

Fact is, we've had ONE 1st-round holdout since 2000 and that was Ryan Sims.

Yep. JW can bag on Peterson for many reasons, but this is NOT one of them.

milkman
07-29-2007, 11:58 AM
As well as spent a season being unsupportive. A GM shouldn't treat his coach like that, it doesn't matter if the owner made the call or not. I wouldn't have liked having Marty as my HC either but the proper course is to be a professional and not take shots at him the whole season.

What shots?

You got quotes to link?

Most of the crap coming out of SD was coming from Marty's direction.

FringeNC
07-29-2007, 11:59 AM
If Priest has returned *just* for money, it'll be obvious real quick, in which case Carl and Priest will look pretty bad. If Priest is slow and fat, I don't think LJ and his agent will let it affect negotiations with Carl.

Priest just showing up doesn't mean jack -- Whitlock is correct there -- but if you think it through one more step -- if all he does is show up, it doesn't mean jack in LJ's contract negotiations either. So why go through the charade?

Either, Whitlock is correct, in which case Carl is an idiot, or .....

pikesome
07-29-2007, 12:09 PM
What shots?

You got quotes to link?

Most of the crap coming out of SD was coming from Marty's direction.

???

Did we watch the same season? At the end of last season Smith did nothing but jerk Marty around in the press. And he did it the end of the season before.

I'm not defending Marty here, my point is that AJ Smith, at least publicly, needs to work on his professionalism.

milkman
07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
???

Did we watch the same season? At the end of last season Smith did nothing but jerk Marty around in the press. And he did it the end of the season before.

I'm not defending Marty here, my point is that AJ Smith, at least publicly, needs to work on his professionalism.

You said Smith spent a season being unsupportive.

Yes, Smith made it clear that he wanted Marty out after the Jets loss, and again after the Patriots loss.

He did not, however, "spend a season" being unsupportive, at least not publicly.

He let Marty do his job.

Brock
07-29-2007, 12:41 PM
He did not, however, "spend a season" being unsupportive, at least not publicly.

He let Marty do his job.

Smith made it known he wanted to fire Schottenheimer, and was quoted as calling him "Coach Roadblock". That isn't exactly showing a united front.

CanadaKC
07-29-2007, 12:52 PM
I couldn't agree more with the article. Peterson is now the emperor with no clothes....he's pulled every stunt he can and is now being rightly criticized for it. We as fans and the media are holding him to the fire...he'll never attain any positivity out of this year as far as his so-called legacy is concerned. For such a GREAT football market...this is absolutely pathetic and we deserve so much better.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2007, 12:56 PM
You said Smith spent a season being unsupportive.

Yes, Smith made it clear that he wanted Marty out after the Jets loss, and again after the Patriots loss.

He let Marty do his job.

I got no problems with AJ SMith. He did something that CP should have done after 1995. He knew Marty's playoff history and wasnt going to put up with it.

His main problem was waiting too long to fire him. Then he got stuck with the leftover Norv Turner.

milkman
07-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Smith made it known he wanted to fire Schottenheimer, and was quoted as calling him "Coach Roadblock". That isn't exactly showing a united front.

No one is saying that Smith tried to hide the fact that he held Marty in low regard, as he should.

But he didn't "spend a season" being unsupportive.

He did his job, providing Marty with the necessary tools to succeed.

And he let Marty do what Marty does during the season, and postseason.

And "Coach Roadblock" is a perfect moniker for Marty.

milkman
07-29-2007, 12:59 PM
I got no problems with AJ SMith. He did something that CP should have done after 1995. He knew Marty's playoff history and wasnt going to put up with it.

His main problem was waiting too long to fire him. Then he got stuck with the leftover Norv Turner.

Smith didn't wait.

He wanted to fire him immediately after the Patriots loss (and after the Jets loss the season before).

The Spanos didn't allow him to do that, and in the end, it was the Spanos that fired him too late, leaving Smith with the task of finding his replacement at that late stage.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Smith didn't wait.

He wanted to fire him immediately after the Patriots loss (and after the Jets loss the season before).

The Spanos didn't allow him to do that, and in the end, it was the Spanos that fired him too late, leaving Smith with the task of finding his replacement at that late stage.

ah..ok...your right..sorry.

Brock
07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
No one is saying that Smith tried to hide the fact that he held Marty in low regard, as he should.

But he didn't "spend a season" being unsupportive.

He did his job, providing Marty with the necessary tools to succeed.

And he let Marty do what Marty does during the season, and postseason.

And "Coach Roadblock" is a perfect moniker for Marty.

Whether the name fits or not is irrelevant. Disrespecting your head coach, whoever it might be, is something the players are going to notice. Refusing to speak with your head coach is high school girl stuff. Were I the owner of the team, I'd have had a little meeting with both of them, and told them to get on the same page or start looking for another job.

milkman
07-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Whether the name fits or not is irrelevant. Disrespecting your head coach, whoever it might be, is something the players are going to notice. Refusing to speak with your head coach is high school girl stuff. Were I the owner of the team, I'd have had a little meeting with both of them, and told them to get on the same page or start looking for another job.

I don't diasagree with any of that.

What I'm trying to get at is that Smith didn't spend an entire season bad mouthing Marty, as pikesome portrayed it.

I wouldn't have liked having Marty as my HC either but the proper course is to be a professional and not take shots at him the whole season

LOCOChief
07-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I couldn't agree more with the article. Peterson is now the emperor with no clothes....he's pulled every stunt he can and is now being rightly criticized for it. We as fans and the media are holding him to the fire...he'll never attain any positivity out of this year as far as his so-called legacy is concerned. For such a GREAT football market...this is absolutely pathetic and we deserve so much better.

Blame Canada, and deserve has got nothing to do with it. Why would CP "pull stunts" as you say to the detriment of the team? I have to respectfully disagree with you and If anyones camping with Jw they need to lighten up and lose the chip. I think his piss poor attitude can be directly attributed to the hip hop culture.

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Yep. JW can bag on Peterson for many reasons, but this is NOT one of them.

This is what gets me.

I don't have a problem with people criticizing Carl - he's earned it.

But these people, like JW, insist that Carl is the worst GM in all of sports and then proceed to use FABRICATED FACTS to support their opinion.

If this guy is so bad (FYI, he IS) then one should have any trouble finding REAL stuff to criticize. This kind of crap denotes either laziness, stupidity, obsession, or a combination of all 3.

htismaqe
07-29-2007, 02:01 PM
he'll never attain any positivity out of this year as far as his so-called legacy is concerned.

If they win the Super Bowl, I'm betting he would.

Bowser
07-29-2007, 02:04 PM
This is what gets me.

But these people, like JW, insist that Carl is the worst GM in all of sports and then proceed to use FABRICATED FACTS to support their opinion.

If this guy is so bad (FYI, he IS) then one should have any trouble finding REAL stuff to criticize. This kind of crap denotes either laziness, stupidity, obsession, or a combination of all 3.

Saying Carl is in year 19 of the 5 year plan just isn't the cool thing to do anymore.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2007, 02:06 PM
This is what gets me.

Agreed. Its obvious its become waaaay too personal for JW and he lets it creep into his columns far too much.

Like i mentioned earlier, it would probably be wise for him to move on to another NFL city and get a fresh perspective.

Redcoats58
07-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey, I know it gets old reading me second-guess and bash Peterson.
If only this was the headline I could get that minute of my life back.

Mecca
07-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Looks like as of a few days ago there were 18 first round picks unsigned. Seriously, Carl does plenty of stupid stuff but he is not alone when it comes to signing first round picks.

edit: link to page updated on the 27th
http://nflexperts.scout.com/2/656380.html

I think it's into the 20's now......also basically everyone around him other than Quinn is signed.

It's one thing for top 5-10 picks to hold out but this guy was 23....the fact that he isn't signed is pretty stupid on his and the Chiefs parts.

KcMizzou
07-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Things could be worse. We could have an Atlanta Falcons type circus.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 04:12 PM

where jwhit again tried to play ringmaster..

the Talking Can
07-29-2007, 04:16 PM

"circus" only applies to the chiefs, according to the lexicon....

Atlanta's Franchise player and QB is on trial by the fed's....but KC's camp is a circus....

Bowser
07-29-2007, 04:17 PM
I think it's into the 20's now......also basically everyone around him other than Quinn is signed.

It's one thing for top 5-10 picks to hold out but this guy was 23....the fact that he isn't signed is pretty stupid on his and the Chiefs parts.

I'll start getting worried if he's not signed in the next few days.

KcMizzou
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
I'll start getting worried if he's not signed in the next few days.Missing Bowe definitely bothers me more than LJ at this point.

Obviously a rookie needs all of camp, especially a receiver.

Bowser
07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Missing Bowe definitely bothers me more than LJ at this point.

Obviously a rookie needs all of camp, especially a receiver.

No disagreement here. Personally, imo, I think the depth at receiver is not good, and Bowe already has a starting spot locked up. I guess I'm just not worked up over it yet.

My concern is his agent. Bowe's agent is waiting to see what kind of deal Brady Quinn gets. Ethan Locke has come out and said he's trying to get Brady paid like he's a top ten pick, since there is a real chance he could be the starter in Cleveland. There will undoubtedly be all kinds of escalators and bonuses in there for Quinn, and it sounds like Bowe's agent might be trying to leech off of that.

Mecca
07-29-2007, 04:52 PM
No disagreement here. Personally, imo, I think the depth at receiver is not good, and Bowe already has a starting spot locked up. I guess I'm just not worked up over it yet.

My concern is his agent. Bowe's agent is waiting to see what kind of deal Brady Quinn gets. Ethan Locke has come out and said he's trying to get Brady paid like he's a top ten pick, since there is a real chance he could be the starter in Cleveland. There will undoubtedly be all kinds of escalators and bonuses in there for Quinn, and it sounds like Bowe's agent might be trying to leech off of that.

You got it backwards...Locke is Bowe's agent...Tom Condon is Quinns agent.

Chief Roundup
07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
all but 7 or 8

KcMizzou
07-29-2007, 05:26 PM
You got it backwards...Locke is Bowe's agent...Tom Condon is Quinns agent.Ugh...

LOCOChief
07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Where's Priest's RV, I didn't hear anything about an RV? Is it down by the River?

Logical
07-29-2007, 07:26 PM
This is what gets me.

If this guy is so bad (FYI, he IS) then one should have any trouble finding REAL stuff to criticize. This kind of crap denotes either laziness, stupidity, obsession, or a combination of all 3.Laziness, Whitlock, never, who would think such a thing.;)

crazycoffey
07-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I noticed Jwhit was on outside the lines the other day, anyone catch it? I couldn't stay and listen, but I know it was his fat ass on there.

FAX
07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
I noticed Jwhit was on outside the lines the other day, anyone catch it? I couldn't stay and listen, but I know it was his fat ass on there.

I missed it, Mr. CrazyCoffey, although I would have like to have seen his performance in the hopes that, while discussing Carl, he would start drooling and slapping his own face. I did, however, read in TV Guide that they tried to keep him inside the lines, but he just wouldn't fit.

FAX

crazycoffey
07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
that I believe. It was him, but I didn't hear the topic

KCinNY
07-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Whitlock: "Blah..blah..blah...Carl is the most hated GM in all of sports...blah..blah..hip hop culture is ruining Black America..blah..blah..Jeff George is a HOF QB who's been the victim of bad coaching...blah..blah..Gates BBQ reference...blah..blah......."

KcMizzou
07-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Whitlock: "Blah..blah..blah...Carl is the most hated GM in all of sports...blah..blah..hip hop culture is ruining Black America..blah..blah..Jeff George is a HOF QB who's been the victim of bad coaching...blah..blah..Gates BBQ reference...blah..blah......."That covers his recent stuff.

I'm a Whitlock fan, at times... but he's been really, REALLY repetitive lately.

(I know he's always had vendetta against CP, and he has this new crusade against disrespectful language in rap/hip-hop... but it seems like he used to change things up at least every other article.)

crazycoffey
07-29-2007, 09:23 PM
so, if I have read his recent articles, then I know everything he said on the TV