PDA

View Full Version : Priest Holmes Q & A 7/29

Buns
07-29-2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/07/29/qa_with_priest_holmes__729/

Q: Why now? You’ve been out of football for almost two years. Why do you want to come back?

PRIEST HOLMES: “22 months I believe.”

Q: Why did you decide you wanted to come back?

HOLMES: “For a lot of different reasons. I can sum it up this way: the sum of all parts is always greater as a whole. As individual parts there’s only so much one can accomplish. So I believe to make this team a whole entity it takes several parts and one of them entails me coming back.”

Q: But you’re also going to be 34 years old.

HOLMES: “Yes, I’ve learned a lot.”

Q: But you talk of the sum of a whole. But where were you these last 22 months. It’s not like you’ve been involved in meetings or around Arrowhead [Stadium]. If you’re talking about being part of a team it’s being involved and you haven’t been.

HOLMES: “Actually for the last 22 months there are so many things that as an individual I had to take care of. The game of football is one area in which people can grow, but outside of that is the game of life. There was so much in life that I needed to learn and it gave me an opportunity. Unfortunately, it came through an injury in San Diego in 2005.”

Q: What have you learned?

HOLMES: “One thing I’ve learned is family. It’s very important to consider, the being there, the presence, being able to communicate with the family. I come to this team as a leader and I think 22 months off can say a lot. If I can make that comeback after 22 months off with the discipline of working and can make it and can continue on despite any obstacle, it’s going to prove so much to the team.”

Q: When did you realize you wanted to come back?

HOLMES: “Maybe about six days ago.”

Q: Really? You mean up until then you hadn’t thought of it?

HOLMES: “Up until then the thought of football wasn’t the main thing I was thinking about. It was more family and being there for my children and providing the necessary things that are needed from a father. Football was placed on the backburner.

“I’m gonna tell you today that in order for me to come back it’s going to require discipline, hard work and determination. One thing that’s always been said is that without struggle there is no purpose. I definitely will struggle in the next four weeks to come back to the level you need to get back into pads.

“Will I be the same runner? That’s to be anticipated. You have no idea what I will become. But I’ll tell you one thing: the hard work will be there.

Q: What triggered it six days ago? Did you wake up and have this grand revelation?

HOLMES: “If anyone knows anything about me revelations and signs and believing in Christ, having dreams and things of that nature are things I believe in. They can kind of create momentum and with momentum comes action.

“I don’t know but I had a dream. I saw myself playing football and I went to my church and asked them if they could see my playing football again. The words that came out of their mouths were, yes. and that’s why I’m here.”

Q: So you had the dream six days ago?

HOLMES: “Pretty much. Somewhere between a week or two weeks ago. Then after the dream comes the self-doubt. You’re too old, you can’t do this, you’ve been off 22 months, so why in the world would you go back? The athletes keep getting bigger, stronger and faster out of college so why would you want to return?

“But I would tell you when you have a vision and a purpose in mind and you can actually set a target anything can be accomplished.”

Q: Are you confident you take a hit without risking further injury?

HOLMES: “That’s funny. Definitely I can take a hit. I’ll tell you I took the hardest hit when I was in high school. Being young and being tough and getting into an argument with a guy, one thing turned into another and he hit me with a bat across the head. I was down and came back If I can be hit in such a way there’s none that can match it.”

Q: What I meant was you’ve got doctors telling you there’s a surgical condition that you’ve got to watch. What type of mental preparation will it take that you’ll know you’re ready to come back to full contact football?

HOLMES: “Well, mental preparation is the biggest key. It’s never been physical with me; it’s always been mental. I think if you can actually believe it in your heart definitely the body can achieve it. If you have the necessary tools and help you can definitely accomplish that. With Dave Price, our head trainer, and our strength and conditioning coach, Cedric [Smith] they’re definitely going to help prepare me to be on the level that I need to be on in order to return and take any kind of hit.”

Q: Priest, so much has changed since you last played here. The head coach is different, the offense is different, a new quarterback, Larry Johnson has established himself. Do you still think you fit in here?

HOLMES: “There are 40 new faces also. There are several ways to fit in.”

Q: Are you prepared to be a backup?

HOLMES: “It’s key for every player to know their role and to be able to contribute in a way that makes their team better. I’m glad that Larry’s in the role he is [in] now. He’s established himself, he’s a workhorse, a big framed, big bodied guy. That’s what we need at our starting running back position.”

Q: If there is some reason you wouldn’t fit in here is there other teams you would want to play for?

HOLMES: “I was able to make the [memorial] ceremony for Lamar Hunt [in Texas]. They’ve kind of created a home for me here, opened a door, and allowed me to establish myself as a premier back in this league. With that said, there would be no other team that I would desire to play for.

“For the sake of answering the question, it would be [one] closer to home in Dallas.”

Q: Did doctors say definitively that given your spinal injury there would be no danger of paralysis or any kind of catastrophic injury?

HOLMES: “What I’ve been told there are several things I need to consider. One of which is no one wants to be hit with a malpractice suit so, of course, the doctors are going to respond accordingly. The finding that they have is I can come back and play. Can they 100% say that if I was to take a hit with so much force similar to the one I took in the San Diego could something happen? That’s very possible. But that’s the game of life. Nothing is done without risk. Risk taking is what has gotten most of you journalists…you have to take some risks. I’ve always been a risk taker. There’s no doubt I would not have been in the position I’m in without taking some risk. That started a long time ago.”

Q: Have you talked to Herm much?

HOLMES: “Yes, we have had several conversations. None of the conversations extended over 30 minutes. But the fact that we’ve been able to get on the same playing field as far as what the expectations are is good.

“One of things that I can say about Herm Edwards as our coach and our leader is he has done a very great job in including me and allowing me to come back to this team. I think the biggest thing you’ll see right now is the encouragement and the things I can give guys – especially the young guy. To comeback is something anyone can do as long as they persevere.”

Q: When would you like to put on the pads?

HOLMES: “The pads will probably not come on within the next three weeks. This will be a time for me to basically train, kind of build a base and allow myself and our strength coach Cedric [Smith] to build a platform on which to put the pads on.”

Q: Are you surprised that people counted you out? It was rumored you were a pawn to Carl [Peterson] in the Larry negotiations.

HOLMES: “In order to be a professional there’s always two sides to a story. For me it’s a great opportunity and a positive move. It was an opening. I witnessed and saw the playoff game last year and in that game you could see that in terms of leadership there is so much more that could be added in order to take this team deeper into the playoffs.”

Q: You think you provide that?

HOLMES: “In several ways. Like I mentioned before, without even taking the field there’s so much I can provide this team.”

Q: Do you see yourself in a role similar to the one Marcus Allen took here?

HOLMES: “Similar yes. Will I be anything quite like Marcus Allen? For me it will be to use my leadership skills and the things that I’ve learned to help this team. I’ve always accepted my role and the challenges that I’ve faced in life. This is just one that I’ve accepted in football.”

Q: You’ve come back from injuries, but was this tougher than the other times?

HOLMES: “No, it’s all about building a base. If my role was limited to eight plays could I say I could handle it? I could do eight plays with my eyes closed. Could I be a running back that totes the ball 22 times? Tthat would consist of really building a base. The position that I’m coming in is to be an encouragement to the team, to show the team regardless of all the 40 new faces on the team, the opportunity is there.”

Q: Have you talked to your teammates? Were they shocked to see you?

HOLMES: “I wouldn’t say shocked. A few of the players said, ‘I always knew you would return.’ The choice that I’ve made is to return and make this team better. Most of the things I will do will be behind the scenes and just encouraging and letting them know that with any disappointment and setback you can come back.”

Q: How did Merriman hit compare with the one you took from the ball bat?

HOLMES: “I’ve tried to look at that film and I really couldn’t see where that hit came in. I knew I was stopped and being tackled, and the force of that tackle it was just the right hit at the right place. A lot of things happened where I had a concussion.”

Q: Worse than the ball bat?

HOLMES: “At the time I was younger. I wouldn’t say worse.”

Q: Have you talked to Merriman?

HOLMES: “We actually did a benefit in California just a few weeks ago. We had a chance to talk. He said if you return I’m going to be looking for you. I said, that’s no problem, because I’ve always five guys in front of me that will love to do what they need to do.”

CoMoChief
07-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Merriman is an asshole.

Direckshun
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM
OMG TRADE HIM TO DALLAS FOR TWO FIRSTS

BigRock
07-29-2007, 03:02 PM
How do they always manage to botch a transcript? Just one example...

I saw myself playing football and I went to my church and asked them if they could see my playing football again. The words that came out of their mouths were, yes. and that’s why I’m here.
I'm 99.9% sure he said "children", not "church".

Easy 6
07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
The guy is saying ALL of the right things, just please dont shine us on Priest...if you are for real, your legacy here will be untouchable.

FringeNC
07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Q: Are you surprised that people counted you out? It was rumored you were a pawn to Carl [Peterson] in the Larry negotiations.

HOLMES: “In order to be a professional there’s always two sides to a story. For me it’s a great opportunity and a positive move. It was an opening. I witnessed and saw the playoff game last year and in that game you could see that in terms of leadership there is so much more that could be added in order to take this team deeper into the playoffs.”

Wow. Priest calling LJ out -- saying he lacks leadership.

Iowanian
07-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I'd find it a little easier to see PH in a "team leadership role" and really caring about the team....If he'd actually had ANYTHING to do with the team for the past 2 seasons.

Bowser
07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like part of the deal for him to retun was to miss training camp without him actually missing training camp.

I'm thrilled he's trying to make it back, but I'd be alot more comfortable if I knew he could take a hit before week 4 of the preseason.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd find it a little easier to see PH in a "team leadership role" and really caring about the team....If he'd actually had ANYTHING to do with the team for the past 2 seasons.

i think he backed off to let LJ build his own legacy, and as he mentioned, the roster is turned over and younger, propigating a scenario where he really could contribute in a constructive way.

DenverChief
07-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Is it just me or is the first half of that interview seem more like an interrogation than a Q&A?

Bowser
07-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Is it just me or is the first half of that interview seem more like an interrogation than a Q&A?

Nope, it's not just you. Rhondzilla said on the radio Friday she was going to unload on him if she got the chance. Wonder if that was her with the opening salvo?

dj56dt58
07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I said, that’s no problem, because I’ve always five guys in front of me that will love to do what they need to do.”

You can tell he hasn't been watching the Chiefs at all..this line will get him killed

The Bad Guy
07-29-2007, 03:53 PM
i think he backed off to let LJ build his own legacy, and as he mentioned, the roster is turned over and younger, propigating a scenario where he really could contribute in a constructive way.

Really?

I don't think that LJ had anything to do with why he left based on this quote.

Q: But you talk of the sum of a whole. But where were you these last 22 months. It’s not like you’ve been involved in meetings or around Arrowhead [Stadium]. If you’re talking about being part of a team it’s being involved and you haven’t been.

HOLMES: “Actually for the last 22 months there are so many things that as an individual I had to take care of. The game of football is one area in which people can grow, but outside of that is the game of life. There was so much in life that I needed to learn and it gave me an opportunity. Unfortunately, it came through an injury in San Diego in 2005.”

I think Priest tries to portray the "unselfish teammate" role, but I think he's probably one of the most selfish guys on the team.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Really?

I don't think that LJ had anything to do with why he left based on this quote.

I think Priest tries to portray the "unselfish teammate" role, but I think he's probably one of the most selfish guys on the team.

my thought comes from an earlier statement he made about not wanting to be a distraction...

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm glad he's back and I suspect he'll play well.

Splat420
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM

As much as I like and respect Priest I have to agree with you.

wazu
07-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Nope, it's not just you. Rhondzilla said on the radio Friday she was going to unload on him if she got the chance. Wonder if that was her with the opening salvo?

Good for her. He's earned it.

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Some of you guys sound like your mad at Priest because he broke up with you. Listen, every year is a new year. He's earned his respect on the field. This is a business and the old guys know that and only care about Priest making the team better. The young guys will look up to Priest because of his accomplishments. LJ? He'll be pissed which is exactly the way we like him.

the Talking Can
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM

yeah, I agree....that interview was "Gunther-esque" in its "the solution to our problems is more 'me'...."

watching a playoff game on tv and avoiding the team for 2 years doesn't put you in a position to diagnose anything or to suggest that what "they" need is "leadership" from a nacho eating, out of shape, non-pad wearing, dream loving, contract milking ego maniac...

or maybe my blood sugar is just low...

wazu
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Some of you guys sound like your mad at Priest because he broke up with you.

Not mad. More like confused. I thought he had already broken up with me, and I was cool with it. But now he's back, sort of. SUP?!

splatbass
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
or maybe my blood sugar is just low...

I think you need a Snickers.

HemiEd
07-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Wow. Priest calling LJ out -- saying he lacks leadership.

It is hard to follow a guy that just got out of diapers.

JBucc
I don't think the rest of the team cared that Priest has not been around since the injure. I remember Mark Shlechelareth (a donk I know) saying on NFL Live that when a player was injured, as far as the rest of the team was concerned, said player was dead.

stevieray
I don't know about you guys, but after watching LJ running into the pile over and over and never breaking it to the outside @ Indy, seeing Holmes on the sideleine would've been just salt in the wound.

HemiEd
07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
well said sir!

It was pretty rough, he handled it well.

CosmicPal
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
If every fugger put his family first and took a couple of seasons off, nobody would be able to field a football team.

I love how he says that after watching the Indy game, he felt like the team needed more leadership. Yet, he only decides to return six days ago. :rolleyes:

Take this team to the SB this year Priest, and I'll forgive you. Anything less than a playoff win, and you're a hypocrite who's only interest is to feed his family.

HemiEd
07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't know about you guys, but after watching LJ running into the pile over and over and never breaking it to the outside @ Indy, seeing Holmes on the sideleine would've been just salt in the wound.

I am kiind of snickering, trying to decide if that would be a bad thing, or not.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 04:41 PM
If every fugger put his family first and took a couple of seasons off, nobody would be able to field a football team.

I love how he says that after watching the Indy game, he felt like the team needed more leadership. Yet, he only decides to return six days ago. :rolleyes:

Take this team to the SB this year Priest, and I'll forgive you. Anything less than a playoff win, and you're a hypocrite who's only interest is to feed his family.

if everyone had the neck injury he sustained, there'd be no NFL...I don't see how a guy using the time healing to focus on his family is a bad thing..

...he doesn't owe us jack squat. IMO.

Bob Dole
07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Where are the "Priest didn't want to come back until Trent was gone" rumors?

CosmicPal
07-29-2007, 04:45 PM
if everyone had the neck injury he sustained, there'd be no NFL...I don't see how a guy using the time healing to focus on his family is a bad thing..

...he doesn't owe us jack squat. IMO.

I'm not saying he owes us anything...I'm referring to two conflicting statements during a single interview. Note the fact he never mentioned the injury- it was either the family or football. And six days ago, he decided it was football.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not saying he owes us anything...I'm referring to two conflicting statements during a single interview. Note the fact he never mentioned the injury- it was either the family or football. And six days ago, he decided it was football.

he addresses the injury later in the interview.

why does his family being part of the equation bother you?

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Priest is bs'ing the media by giving them general answers. I wouldn't read to much into it.

Logical
07-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't know who did this interview but it was a great interview. Probing questions, the kind of questions I wanted answers for and well asked.

Bravo:clap:

tk13
07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Some of you guys are absolutely brutal. It's almost embarrassing to read.

TRR
07-29-2007, 04:57 PM
It's hard to doubt the guy again. Holmes has pretty much overcome any type of injury out there. He may be 34 years old, but the guy looks like he is 24. Used in a limited role (screen passes, draws, etc), Holmes could be a huge boost for this offense.

Coming in to give LJ some rest, Holmes at 75% is a lot better than Michael Bennett at 100% IMO.

Logical
Some of you guys sound like your mad at Priest because he broke up with you. Listen, every year is a new year. He's earned his respect on the field. This is a business and the old guys know that and only care about Priest making the team better. The young guys will look up to Priest because of his accomplishments. LJ? He'll be pissed which is exactly the way we like him.

Possibly your best post ever....:clap:

CosmicPal
why does his family being part of the equation bother you?

Football is short, family is forever.

But, it's not the "desire to be with the family" that bothers me, I can respect that. It's the "I just decided six days ago I'm going to play football again" that bothers me.

You don't just decide you're going to play football again. It's like dating some hot chick for a few years, but she doesn't want to get serious with you, so you dump her. And then a couple of years later, when you've moved on, she shows up on your doorstep and wants to have children with you.

But, the thing I'm bothered about the most is how I've accepted the fact that this is going to be a rebuilding year. I've accepted a .500 season as long as these youngsters get a lot of playing time 'cause I think this team will be freakin' special and really something to see. Where was he last year when we were in the playoffs? You know he wasn't with the team. He was sitting on the couch saying, "Damn, they suck without me."

HemiEd
07-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Priest is bs'ing the media by giving them general answers. I wouldn't read to much into it.

This is my favorite, of the whole interview. Totally said **** you to the question.

Logical
07-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Take this team to the SB this year Priest, and I'll forgive you. Anything less than a playoff win, and you're a hypocrite who's only interest is to feed his family.I kind of doubt he would put himself through the agony of preparing to play physically for a mere 870K, being as he has millions left that he is going to receive on his bonus no matter what.

stevieray
07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Football is short, family is forever.

But, it's not the "desire to be with the family" that bothers me, I can respect that. It's the "I just decided six days ago I'm going to play football again" that bothers me.

You don't just decide you're going to play football again. It's like dating some hot chick for a few years, but she doesn't want to get serious with you, so you dump her. And then a couple of years later, when you've moved on, she shows up on your doorstep and wants to have children with you.

But, the thing I'm bothered about the most is how I've accepted the fact that this is going to be a rebuilding year. I've accepted a .500 season as long as these youngsters get a lot of playing time 'cause I think this team will be freakin' special and really something to see. Where was he last year when we were in the playoffs? You know he wasn't with the team. He was sitting on the couch saying, "Damn, they suck without me."

He hadn't been medically cleared to play last year...

and he can decide if he wants to play again, becasue ultimately it is his decision...

the rest of your post seems based on style points.

Silock
07-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Merriman is an asshole.

LOL my first thought, too.

teedubya
07-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm just glad because I don't have to buy a new Chiefs jersey for another year or so.

RealSNR
07-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Wow. Lots of people in this thread are classless and deranged.

Time's Yours
07-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I too got the feeling that it wasn't the injury keeping him out. He had a F-ing dream?

Look at it this way:
Whether he has the dream that night or not, he's equally healthy. But he decides to play because of the dream.

If he doesn't have the dream, it doesn't make him any less healthy or less able to play, but he still doesn't come back. His departure story sounds more like a retirement.

tommykat
07-29-2007, 10:08 PM
I too got the feeling that it wasn't the injury keeping him out. He had a F-ing dream?

Look at it this way:
Whether he has the dream that night or not, he's equally healthy. But he decides to play because of the dream.

If he doesn't have the dream, it doesn't make him any less healthy or less able to play, but he still doesn't come back. His departure story sounds more like a retirement.

IMO.....that is why you are still a rookie. If you believe (in Jesus) he does show you visions......Laugh at me all you all want, but had them and understand where Priest is coming from......Hope he makes it back and helps LJ understand.

Skip Towne
07-29-2007, 10:16 PM
IMO.....that is why you are still a rookie. If you believe (in Jesus) he does show you visions......Laugh at me all you all want, but had them and understand where Priest is coming from......Hope he makes it back and helps LJ understand.
Yeah, you dickhead. What TK says.

Time's Yours
07-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Yeah, you dickhead. What TK says.

Very mature...

the Talking Can
07-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Look at it this way:

welcome to the planet

i agree, deciding you want to play football 6 days ago and then showing up and babbling about the "leadership" you bring is patently absurd...

and skip is just an old guy with a leaky colostomy bag...