PDA

View Full Version : More bad news on the LJ saga. . .Peterson signs for more than LT!!!

percysnow
07-30-2007, 06:51 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20024298/

ANKATO, Minn. - Adrian Peterson already is the biggest star on the Minnesota Vikings offense.

So it’s no wonder that the team can’t wait to see him finally take the field at training camp on Monday. The No. 7 overall draft pick ended his brief three-day holdout on Sunday when he signed a five-year, $40.5 million contract with $17 million in guaranteed money.

“It’s about time,” Chester Taylor said Sunday with a chuckle after the Vikings wrapped up their fifth training camp practice without his new backfield mate. “We need him out here so we can groove our offense even better with him coming back. So I’m just looking forward to him taking the field.”

BigMeatballDave
07-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Jesus...

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 06:54 PM
That's not more than LT.

LT got 8 years, $60M with $21M guaranteed.

KCChiefsMan
07-30-2007, 06:55 PM
that's crazy, LJ doesn't even have a major injury in his past like Peterson

percysnow
07-30-2007, 06:58 PM
That's not more than LT.

LT got 8 years, $60M with $21M guaranteed.

Per year its more. . little over 8 milion to LT's 7.5

Five-year contract makes rookie highest-paid running back in NFL

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Per year its more. . little over 8 milion to LT's 7.5

"Per year" numbers are largely irrelevant anymore because they can be structured in just about any way possible. Furthermore, they're almost always heavily backloaded into the years the player will never see.

The things that matter most are the guaranteed money and the number of years.

percysnow
07-30-2007, 07:02 PM
"Per year" numbers are largely irrelevant anymore because they can be structured in just about any way possible. Furthermore, they're almost always heavily backloaded into the years the player will never see.

The things that matter most are the guaranteed money and the number of years.

it doesnt matter either way its ****ing crazy and it sux for our LJ situation

OctoberFart
07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Good hopefully Carl will give LJ what he is worth.

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:06 PM
it doesnt matter either way its ****ing crazy and it sux for our LJ situation

It does matter. It's not bigger than LT's contract. Which means LT is still the standard.

Adrian Peterson is a rookie, and a RB. Regardless of previous injury, he's got a good 4 or 5 more years left than LJ does.

percysnow
07-30-2007, 07:07 PM
It does matter. It's not bigger than LT's contract. Which means LT is still the standard.

Adrian Peterson is a rookie, and a RB. Regardless of previous injury, he's got a good 4 or 5 more years left than LJ does.

well i was just going off the news that called him the highest paid Running Back in the NFL. . .and this makes LT's contract more irrelevant if anything. . .now carl cant just say ur no LT. . .

FAX
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
That's still a lot of money.

I'm beginning to think that Carl's not going to get out of this without either paying at least 18 to 20 million in guaranteed dollars or tagging LJ and living with a lot of pouting and dropped passes.

FAX

Deberg_1990
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
that's crazy, LJ doesn't even have a major injury in his past like Peterson

Its basically because Peterson was a top 10 pick and LJ was like what #27??

Sucks, but thats the way it is..

Either way, LJ is tremendously underpaid. Carl better pony up.

kcxiv
07-30-2007, 07:09 PM

But he has proved NOTHING at the NFL level.

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:12 PM
well i was just going off the news that called him the highest paid Running Back in the NFL. . .and this makes LT's contract more irrelevant if anything. . .now carl cant just say ur no LT. . .

Carl absolutely can say "you're no LT" because LT is still the standard.

He can also say "you're no Adrian Peterson".

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:13 PM

He also hasn't carried the ball a record 416 times in one season.

I know people have a hard time accepting that we're talking about running backs.

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM

When you take a guy top 10 you know what you have to pay him.....regardless of position. Next year Darren McFadden will become one of the highest paid RB's it's not like this is some revelation.

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:15 PM
He also hasn't carried the ball a record 416 times in one season.

I know people have a hard time accepting that we're talking about running backs.

Yep......right now to teams guys like Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch have more value than LJ does because they haven't been pounded into the ground their young and fresh instead of being ground down.

morphius
07-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Damn, they really need to come up with a rookie salary structure like the NBA has.

I know in the big picture it doesn't matter, but it is a bit sickening seeing rookie's make nearly as much as proven all-pros.

Deberg_1990
07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Yep......right now to teams guys like Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch have more value than LJ does because they haven't been pounded into the ground their young and fresh instead of being ground down.

Exactly. Even Seattle tried to trade Alexander a few years ago but couldnt find any takers.

Sort of similiar to to the LJ situation.

Deberg_1990
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
I know in the big picture it doesn't matter, but it is a bit sickening seeing rookie's make nearly as much as proven all-pros.

Exactly why LJ wants to get paid $$$$$$

I dont blame him one damn bit and ive alway beens totally on his side in this.

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Damn, they really need to come up with a rookie salary structure like the NBA does.

Agreed.

StcChief
07-30-2007, 07:20 PM
He'll get in that neighborhood

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Agreed.

The NBA got the players union to agree to this......the NFL union never will. No matter what because they'll view it as taking money out of the league not as "giving more money to vets"

morphius
07-30-2007, 07:26 PM
The NBA got the players union to agree to this......the NFL union never will. No matter what because they'll view it as taking money out of the league not as "giving more money to vets"
If they can agree on the percentage of the profits that a team has to spend it could be possible, because then you are guaranteeing that the Vets are the ones getting the money.

Sure it is more complicated then that, but that is a basic starting point of course.

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I just don't see it happening there's to many players that think having a cap sucks and is screwing them for them to agree to any kind of "less money" thing.

morphius
07-30-2007, 07:35 PM
I just don't see it happening there's to many players that think having a cap sucks and is screwing them for them to agree to any kind of "less money" thing.
But the players union don't have as much interest in what the rookies make.

Eleazar
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM

I don't know, I agree that this isn't as good of a contract as LT has, but Johnson can also say, this guy got X and he's never played a down and has a major injury on his record, I'm worth more than that.

petegz28
07-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Carl is screwing this team. He is sending a mesage to any RB's we draft or sign that we will sign you for nothing and run you into the ground then send you on your way.

I know that has to make RB's really not want to play for this guy. I wouldn't. Would you?

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Carl is screwing this team. He is sending a mesage to any RB's we draft or sign that we will sign you for nothing and run you into the ground then send you on your way.

I know that has to make RB's really not want to play for this guy. I wouldn't. Would you?

Um this is what happens to RB's in general....nature of the position. What you just said would be like saying that no RB will ever want to play for the Broncos.

And you can just say to LJ, Adrian Peterson has less touches in the last 3 years then you had in 1.

htismaqe
07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't know, I agree that this isn't as good of a contract as LT has, but Johnson can also say, this guy got X and he's never played a down and has a major injury on his record, I'm worth more than that.

By the same token, Carl can say that this guy has never carried the ball, has fresh legs, and had a collarbone injury, which really isn't that major.

petegz28
07-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Um this is what happens to RB's in general....nature of the position. What you just said would be like saying that no RB will ever want to play for the Broncos.

And you can just say to LJ, Adrian Peterson has less touches in the last 3 years then you had in 1.

Ok so then of other teams are willing to flip out the $'s for a rookie why would LJ want to stay here?

Mecca
07-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Ok so then of other teams are willing to flip out the $'s for a rookie why would LJ want to stay here?

I don't care if he does or not, he isn't worth what he wants.....RB is to easy a position to replace to pay that for a guy like LJ who all signs point to very short career.

petegz28
07-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't care if he does or not, he isn't worth what he wants.....RB is to easy a position to replace to pay that for a guy like LJ who all signs point to very short career.

Oh I agree we shouldn't pay what he wants. But we should pay a lot more than what we are. And the part that relly pisses me off is Carl's attitude and ego. LJ ran his ass off last year behind a weak OL and did it without complaint or getting hurt. If you aren't going to pay someone like that then WTF are you going to pay?

Meanwhile how much are we paying Ty Law? Surtain?

Simplex3
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
That's still a lot of money.

I'm beginning to think that Carl's not going to get out of this without either paying at least 18 to 20 million in guaranteed dollars or tagging LJ and living with a lot of pouting and dropped passes.

FAX
Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Coogs
07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I still think it is going to be all about the signing bonus. Give him the $27 million in signing bonus money just to honor the final 3 years of his contract. Then LJ is 30 - 31 years old and can do as he pleases.

Mecca
07-30-2007, 08:04 PM
It's a little ridiculous to want to pay 27 million dollars for 2 years don't you think, that is what you are supporting with that post.

Coogs
07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
It's a little ridiculous to want to pay 27 million dollars for 2 years don't you think, that is what you are supporting with that post.

3 years. This year and the 2 more he can void.

Mecca
07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Still highly absurd......especially for a team that isn't winning anything. I might have a different view if the Chiefs were a bowl contender.

Coogs
07-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Still highly absurd......especially for a team that isn't winning anything. I might have a different view if the Chiefs were a bowl contender.

We might be in contention in a couple of years. We have gotten pretty good milage out of LJ already for fairly cheap. Pay him a little bit of the money for services already rendered.

If we give him 20 some million over a 7 year period, and he only lasts 3 more years, then you have the prorated portion of the signing bonus that just kicks your salary caps butt.

This way he is off the books in 3 years.

Coogs
07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Or 20 to 25 million in signing bonus, whatever it takes.. I just pulled the 27 million out, 'cause I heard that was what he is asking. But that is over a long haul in years too.

petegz28
07-30-2007, 08:14 PM

See I don't buy that with today's NFL. Every team if oyu ask me has a shot to contend. Injuries and supirse performances, flukes or not, have shown that just about every team has a shot in the NFL.

Did you think we would be in the playoffs last year?
Did you think 3 teams would lose at home to put us in?
Did you think our defense would be our strong suit against Indy?
Did you think Indy would shut down LJ?

Mecca
07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
If the Chiefs played in the NFC.....ok.....AFC you are playing for the last spot and well not playing any playoff games at home and the Chiefs are a horrendous road team.

Coogs
07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
If the Chiefs played in the NFC.....ok.....AFC you are playing for the last spot and well not playing any playoff games at home and the Chiefs are a horrendous road team.

This year I agree. Playoffs are a long shot. BUT, if the defense comes along as most think it will, the following 2 years... the last 2 years of LJ's current voidable contract... we could be real contenders. Much like the Bears the last 2 years. Incredible D and ST's. So-so offense. Hell, our O could be better than the Bears.

petegz28
07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
You guys don' get it do you? Each year in the NFL is a new year. How many years did Manning come up short? And when he did finally win it it was cause of his defense. Everyone has a shot every year in the NFL.

For Christ's sake Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl!!!