PDA

View Full Version : Peter King discusses Trent Green.

Direckshun
07-31-2007, 09:21 AM
Pretty good article about the hope in NFL training camps.

Went on a lengthy exposition about Green's situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/31/game.on0806/index.html

Anytime a quarterback is directing a new offense for a new team that has a new coach, the smallest achievements in his first training-camp practice have meaning. And last Saturday morning in Davie, Fla., the summer home of the Dolphins, Trent Green was pleased -- no, thrilled -- that in the 36 snaps he took in offense-versus-defense drills, no player on his side of the ball made a mental error. "People are going to hear that and say, 'You mean he's excited just because his guys lined up right and ran the right plays?'?" Green said afterward. "But it's the first thing you've got to do on the road to being successful."

It has been eight years since Dan Marino retired and left a gaping hole at quarterback in Miami. The successors -- Fiedler Feeley, Culpepper -- have proved inadequate. And Green, 37, acquired from the Chiefs in June for a 2008 fifth-round pick, is hardly a sure thing. After suffering a severe concussion in Week 1 last season, he missed eight games because of headaches and wasn't very efficient after he returned. Last weekend he pronounced himself "as ready to play as I've ever been in my career." What's more, the Dolphins have a top five defense that will help minimize the need for Marino-style heroics. What Miami wants is a quarterback who moves the chains, completes 65% of his throws and doesn't make mistakes.

Green was that caliber from 2002 through '05, when he connected on 63.4% of his throws and averaged less than one interception per game. The Dolphins need him to put together another season or two like that while first-year coach Cam Cameron schools rookie quarterback John Beck, a second-round pick out of Brigham Young. At the same time Miami wants to take advantage of having end Jason Taylor and linebackers Zach Thomas and Joey Porter at its defensive core for the one or two quality years they will play together.

"From what I've seen," Cameron said, "[Green's] footwork is as good as it's been, he still gets the ball out quickly, and his accuracy's there." But Green hasn't been hit yet. The big test could come in Week 2, when the Dolphins' inexperienced offensive line goes against the Cowboys -- in particular, pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware, who could wreak havoc on Green and Miami's season.

"People forget that prior to that concussion I started more than 80 games in a row and took some pretty good punishment," says Green. "I get hit one time, and all of a sudden I'm fragile? I'm not buying it. I like this situation because I get a chance to prove myself all over again in a new place."

King_Chief_Fan
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Pretty good article about the hope in NFL training camps.

Went on a lengthy exposition about Green's situation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/07/31/game.on0806/index.html

Anytime a quarterback is directing a new offense for a new team that has a new coach, the smallest achievements in his first training-camp practice have meaning. And last Saturday morning in Davie, Fla., the summer home of the Dolphins, Trent Green was pleased -- no, thrilled -- that in the 36 snaps he took in offense-versus-defense drills, no player on his side of the ball made a mental error. "People are going to hear that and say, 'You mean he's excited just because his guys lined up right and ran the right plays?'?" Green said afterward. "But it's the first thing you've got to do on the road to being successful."

It has been eight years since Dan Marino retired and left a gaping hole at quarterback in Miami. The successors -- Fiedler Feeley, Culpepper -- have proved inadequate. And Green, 37, acquired from the Chiefs in June for a 2008 fifth-round pick, is hardly a sure thing. After suffering a severe concussion in Week 1 last season, he missed eight games because of headaches and wasn't very efficient after he returned. Last weekend he pronounced himself "as ready to play as I've ever been in my career." What's more, the Dolphins have a top five defense that will help minimize the need for Marino-style heroics. What Miami wants is a quarterback who moves the chains, completes 65% of his throws and doesn't make mistakes.

Green was that caliber from 2002 through '05, when he connected on 63.4% of his throws and averaged less than one interception per game. The Dolphins need him to put together another season or two like that while first-year coach Cam Cameron schools rookie quarterback John Beck, a second-round pick out of Brigham Young. At the same time Miami wants to take advantage of having end Jason Taylor and linebackers Zach Thomas and Joey Porter at its defensive core for the one or two quality years they will play together.

"From what I've seen," Cameron said, "[Green's] footwork is as good as it's been, he still gets the ball out quickly, and his accuracy's there." But Green hasn't been hit yet. The big test could come in Week 2, when the Dolphins' inexperienced offensive line goes against the Cowboys -- in particular, pass-rusher DeMarcus Ware, who could wreak havoc on Green and Miami's season.

"People forget that prior to that concussion I started more than 80 games in a row and took some pretty good punishment," says Green. "I get hit one time, and all of a sudden I'm fragile? I'm not buying it. I like this situation because I get a chance to prove myself all over again in a new place."

Green is going to get killed with that O line. Green benefited from having the best in the NFL in 2003-2005. His success is tied to the support he had.

Mr Green, we shall seee how durabale you are. We don't wish you any ill will, but, after last year, you are one hit away from being retired.
Good luck to you.

HemiEd
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Who?

Frankie
07-31-2007, 09:45 AM
I hope Trent does well and they just fall short of the Chiefs achievements. As long as Trent is their QB the Dolphins are my second favorite team. Plus the fact that my brother is a long suffering Phins fan dating back to their first SB, and I can certainly identify with that.

El Jefe
07-31-2007, 09:48 AM
He is gonna be on his back all game long against the Cowboys, with that patchwork O-Line.

Scaga
07-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Fixed your post.

[QUOTE=King_Chief_Fan] We don't wish you any ill will, but, after last year, you are one hit away from being RETARDED.
QUOTE]

Amnorix
07-31-2007, 09:50 AM
I hope Trent does well and they just fall short of the Chiefs achievements. As long as Trent is their QB the Dolphins are my second favorite team. Plus the fact that my brother is a long suffering Phins fan dating back to their first SB, and I can certainly identify with that.

Long suffering? Until about 5 years ago you could hardly find a more arrogant bunch of fans.

The hard times they've suffered over the last 5 years are the first "true" hard times they've had in living memory, really. They haven't won it all since the early 70s, it is true, but their regular season record was ridiculous for alot of years there.

Of course, the fact that I'm a Pats fan has no impact on my total lack of sympathy... :LOL:

jAZ
07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Still a big Trent fan here... I just picked up one of these for my 7 month old son to wear this season.

http://www.kcchiefsproshop.com/images/products/large/2168_inf_jersey_green.jpg

It was on sale and he's only going to be able to wear if for a few months. I coudln't justify $30 on another infant jersey... not even Gonzo or LJ.

Since my wife still wearns here Chiefs/Gannon jersey... I figured Green would be OK.

Direckshun
07-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Weird.

http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3808768dt.jpg