PDA

View Full Version : I always thought Len Pastabelly was a a-hole, but man....

donkhater
07-31-2007, 02:22 PM
This takes the cake....

DAVIE, Fla. -- For quarterback Trent Green, it seems appropriate that the Miami Dolphins' training facility is located on the grounds of Nova University, since the trade that brought the 13-year veteran here represents a new and exciting opportunity even at this late juncture of his playing career.

There is nothing new, though, about the high regard in which Miami first-year coach Cam Cameron holds Green, which explains why Cameron pushed so hard to acquire the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback, and remained steadfast in his pursuit of Green through a nearly three-month soap opera in which Kansas City officials tediously dragged out the trade negotiations.

Most people peg Cameron's fondness for Green to the two years the men worked together in Washington (1995 and 1996). Back then, Cameron was the Redskins' quarterbacks coach and Green a promising but unproven passer who had already been released by the San Diego Chargers, played a season in the CFL and had yet to take his first snap in an NFL regular-season game.

But the genesis of the relationship actually goes back to Oct. 19, 1991, when Green was a junior at Indiana University and Cameron -- himself an IU grad who had also played quarterback there, for Lee Corso -- was coaching the quarterbacks and wide receivers at the University of Michigan. In front of a crowd of 106,097 in The Big House that day, Green and his badly outmanned Hoosiers teammates led the fourth-ranked Wolverines for much of the contest before succumbing, 24-16. The manner in which Green moved Indiana up and down the field, and even more so the obvious leadership qualities he exuded, stuck with Cameron.

They made, in fact, an indelible impression.

"Watching from the sidelines that day, I thought, 'There's really something to this guy,'" Cameron recalled between Monday practice sessions. "And it went beyond throwing the football or running the offense. He competed. And he raised the level of the guys around him. You make mental notes about players like that and you keep an eye on them. When we had a chance to bring him to Washington, to sign him there, I was all for it. He was a guy with whom I really wanted the opportunity to work."

But with a Redskins depth chart that included first-round draft pick Heath Shuler and Gus Frerotte in 1995-96, Green got very little work. For two straight seasons, he was listed as the No. 3 or "emergency" quarterback. It wasn't until 1997, after Cameron had departed to become head coach at Indiana, that Green made his first cameo appearance, throwing one pass that season.

Green, 37, figures to throw a few more than that in 2007.

Trent Green, left, ended up with a team that needs him and a coach who believes in him.

He and Cameron represent the latest coach-quarterback tandem trying to recapture the kind of success that Hall of Fame members Don Shula and Dan Marino brought to the franchise. And while Cameron has yet to officially anoint Green as the starter, and insists there is still competition for the job, the veteran will in all likelihood become the 11th different Dolphins starter since Marino retired following the 1999 season.

If loyal Miami fans have waited a long time for a replacement of this caliber, Green can certainly commiserate, given the ordeal he experienced in getting to the team. Apprised by Kansas City general manager Carl Peterson in February that the Chiefs wanted to go in a different direction at quarterback, Green endured frustrating months of Kansas City stubbornness and inertia in trade negotiations before a trade was mercifully consummated and he finally was able to reconnect with Cameron.

"It was a miserable time, really, and it really wore on me," said Green, long regarded as one of the NFL's classiest players. "But in the end, it all worked out, and this a good time now. It's an offense I know, but the language isn't quite the same, so there's the challenge to learn that. And no matter how long you've been around, you're always trying to fit in when you go to a new place. But there's a newness to it and, at this point of my career, that's a pretty exciting thing. During those months where things were dragging, there were some doubts, but it's all come together. It's a good fit."

The challenge now will be for Green and Cameron to fit together the pieces of an offense that has not added many new personnel to a unit that statistically ranked 20th in the league in 2006, but which sorely needs some upgrading. The line clearly is a work in progress. Third-year tailback Ronnie Brown needs to become more of a centerpiece-type player. Veteran wide receivers Chris Chambers and Marty Booker have to overcome some inconsistencies and the Dolphins have to identify a No. 3 guy to go with them.

Finally landing Green, though, and for the palatable price of just a fifth-round draft pick, provides Cameron the keystone piece to the jigsaw puzzle.

"He's definitely a leader," said Chambers, a talented six-year veteran whose production plummeted precipitously in 2006 after a career year in 2005, but who should benefit from having Green on board. "He knows the offense and he knows how to win. He's had some big seasons and, except for the [head] injury last year, he probably would have had another good year. So, yeah, you look to a guy like that to make a difference. I'm not sure people realize how good he has been."

Over the past six seasons, Green ranks fourth in the league in completions (1,720) and in passing yards (21,459) and fifth in wins (48) among quarterback. His 87.5 career efficiency rating is the ninth best in NFL history.

The head trauma Green suffered in the 2006 season opener, when he scrambled out of the pocket and was hit by Cincinnati defensive end Robert Geathers, cost him eight games and, perhaps, ultimately, his job with the Chiefs. But there are no residual effects; Green has passed all the neurological tests and is girded to be a 16-game starter again.

If he can put up the kind of passing numbers he did during most of his Kansas City tenure, the Dolphins figure to get two or three more seasons from Green. That would allow them to groom Green's likely successor, second-round pick John Beck, who has thrown the ball well in the early stages of camp. After years in which it appeared the Dolphins' organization had done little long-term planning at the quarterback position, it now seems there is a blueprint of sorts in place. After years of waiting to work together as coach and starting quarterback, Cameron and Green feel they're in a good place, too.

"It's where I wanted to be, with a coach I wanted to be with, and you don't always get that," Green said. "Now it's up to us to make it work."

Mecca
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
He's just saying what he thinks happened based on the sources he has in the league.....

I don't know if that really makes him an asshole.

morphius
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
He's just saying what he thinks happened based on the sources he has in the league.....

Ahh, so ignoramus would be more fitting?

Mecca
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Pretty much, ignorant or not inside KC or something like that.

Pretty much everyone not here has the view he has, I don't see that as him being an asshole he's just going with pretty much the general view.

Brock
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, KC should have just taken that generous 7th round pick.

the Talking Can
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
of course it is Carl's fault....he was supposed to give Green away....only homers expected fair value for a starting QB...

beer bacon
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
The whole thing I don't understand about all this heat on KC for how they handled the Green situation is how it turned. Before the trade actually happened, everyone was saying that we should just trade him for a 6th or 7th. Then, we wait and actually get a conditional 4th, and we are still just petty assholes for not getting the deal done sooner.

Could anyone see the portrayel of this whole ordeal being the same if it was the Patriots instead of the Chiefs?

noa
thank god the dolphins were merciful

morphius
Pretty much, ignorant or not inside KC or something like that.

Pretty much everyone not here has the view he has, I don't see that as him being an asshole he's just going with pretty much the general view.
Just because it is his opinion, doesn't exactly make it factual, especially with the news that the only way it actually got done was the fact that Carl finally said that they needed to have everything done by tomorrow (whatever day that was) or it wasn't going to happen at all.

But it is just a stupid line hidden in a piece, no biggie either way.

JohninGpt
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
So, KC dragged out the negotiations until Miami, mercifully, was successful in "Finally landing Green, though, and for the palatable price of just a fifth-round draft pick"?
As though Miami's stuborness to come off even a fifth round pick had nothing to to with the length of negotiations. :shake:

mikey23545
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM

You know, I've just realized what you really are.....

You always seemed a little too stupid to really be a human being, and it just came to me...You aren't! You're just some sort of AI bot that is programmed to say the opposite of anything that makes sense.

Kinda of a weird piece of software...

Frazod
07-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I read that article this morning. I guess the I HATE THE CHIEFS National Media Fan Club has a new member. I suppose Prisco signed him up. :shake:

Mecca
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Considering some of the other people that post here I get called stupid........IRONY.

Brock
07-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Considering some of the other people that post here I get called stupid........IRONY.

Why don't you try and stay on topic? Do you think the Chiefs should have just taken whatever the Dolphins initially offered?

mikey23545
07-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Considering some of the other people that post here I get called stupid......

You really overachieved.

Baby Lee
07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
So, this is a marriage made in heaven that'll be a great pairing, but the Phins were too cheap to get the deal done. And we're the a-holes for making sure we get value out of their wondrous good fortune?

GoHuge
07-31-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah I think it's interesting Miami gets a free pass in the whole deal. I guess we where supposed to just give him away, but Carl f**ked up by going public with it in February. Had he not done that it would have probably gone alot smoother.

beach tribe
07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Nova university is literally right around the corner from me.......
what were we talkin about? Oh yea,screw pasta belly,he never liked us.

penchief
07-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah I think it's interesting Miami gets a free pass in the whole deal. I guess we where supposed to just give him away, but Carl f**ked up by going public with it in February. Had he not done that it would have probably gone alot smoother.

Not to mention that Miami failed to extend anywhere near the consideration to Dante Culpepper that we extended to Green.

They made Trent and themsleves out to be victims because of the way we handled Green and then they turned around and treated Culpepper in the same way, but worse.

alpha_omega
07-31-2007, 03:39 PM
But there are no residual effects

Did Len even see our playoff game from last year?

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
At least Miami didn't drag things out with Culpepper. As soon as they got Green, they let Culpepper go. Oh wait... :hmmm:

penchief
07-31-2007, 04:15 PM
At least Miami didn't drag things out with Culpepper. As soon as they got Green, they let Culpepper go. Oh wait... :hmmm:

Not right away. It got messy for a little bit.