PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Pollard: Born to Hit

Hammock Parties
08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/663841.html

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3246/453892ts4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bernard Pollard: Born to Hit

When you think of great safety hitters you think of Dick ‘Night Train’ Lane, Steve Atwater, John Lynch and, in Kansas City, Lloyd Burruss. In River Falls lately, another player appears to be joining those ranks with the Chiefs.

Despite a sore hand sustained Tuesday morning after a goal line collision, second-year safety Bernard ‘Bonecrusher’ Pollard appears to be taking the next step in his elevation from back up to starter.

The Chiefs revamped secondary is something that has been in the works since Herm Edwards took the job in 2006. In years past, the big problem has been the inability of the corners and safeties to stay with receivers long enough. But it hasn’t always been their fault. Until last year, KC’s pass rush was below average.

This year it’s a whole new ballgame because the defensive line is better and the linebackers might be the best in team history. Throw in a veteran cornerback tandem and you’ve got a recipe for success in 2007.

That’s where Pollard comes into play. He has linebacker instincts in a safety’s body. He has strength, speed and big-hit ability. If he were a boxer, he’d be labeled as a knockout power.

In this defense, he only lacks experience. During OTAs this past Spring, Pollard knew a starting job was there for the taking if he could develop his game and let his natural talents blend with the complexities of the Cover Two defense.

But despite the obvious opportunity for Pollard this year, he’s hardly sitting back and waiting for the Chiefs defensive coaching staff to anoint him the starter.

“I’m very excited, it’s a lot of fun,” said Page on Tuesday. “I’m back there with a great group of guys like (Patrick) Surtain, (Ty) Law and (Jarrad) Page. It’s something I don’t want to give up. I’m going to give it 150 to 200 percent. I’m learning every day.”

Pollard has worked hard this offseason, and that’s something Edwards rewards. The old adage is that if you play like you practice, you’ll become productive on Sundays.

Still, there was a learning curve for Pollard from his rookie season to the present.

“My first year, it was something new to me,” said Pollard. “At Purdue, it was not this difficult, but it’s really not difficult. It’s just not something I’ve done before. It’s like bringing in a kid who was home-schooled, and putting him in the 10th grade and expecting him to know everything. I mean, this is the NFL. Last year I did a lot of learning. I’m still learning this year.”

At Purdue, “Bonecrusher” delivered legendary hits. Generally, those were reserved for Big Ten opponents. But on Monday morning, Pollard welcomed Chiefs running back Michael Bennett, almost knocking him back to Minnesota with a crushing hit that left the running back with his feet in the air and his back against the ground.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Pollard of his big play. “(Bennett) cut up in the hole kind of quick, and I just wanted to get my face on him. I’m the last line of defense and I knew that if I didn’t get him, then Page would have got him.”

That’s the sign of a mature player. Second-year NFL players do one of two things - they either get it, or they don’t. They either learn they can trust their teammates, or they try to do too much. When they do the latter, they incur the wrath of the head coach while letting down their teammates.

KC’s two young safeties have to learn to trust the nine guys in front of them. Part of that trust involves the Chiefs’ linebacker trio of Derrick Johnson, Napoleon Harris and Donnie Edwards.

“You have someone like DJ and Donnie who can shoot the gaps like no others,” said Pollard. “That’s where we have to back them up.”

Judging from his play in River Falls, one thing is certain - Pollard has his game face on. If Kansas City’s defense is going to become one of the best in the NFL, they’ll need him to keep hitting every chance he gets.

FAX
08-01-2007, 07:29 PM
"This year it’s a whole new ballgame because the defensive line is better and the linebackers might be the best in team history. Throw in a veteran cornerback tandem and you’ve got a recipe for success in 2007."

Sorry. No way.

FAX

CoMoChief
08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
“I’m very excited, it’s a lot of fun,” said Page on Tuesday. “I’m back there with a great group of guys like (Patrick) Surtain, (Ty) Law and (Jarrad) Page.

Is there something wrong with this comment?

alanm
08-01-2007, 07:42 PM
"This year it’s a whole new ballgame because the defensive line is better and the linebackers might be the best in team history. Throw in a veteran cornerback tandem and you’ve got a recipe for success in 2007."

Sorry. No way.

FAX
Not even close. :shake:

Demonpenz
08-01-2007, 07:47 PM
when i think of hard hitters i think of chuck cecil

JimNasium
08-01-2007, 07:56 PM
This year it’s a whole new ballgame because the defensive line is better and the linebackers might be the best in team history.
:shake:

JimNasium
08-01-2007, 07:57 PM
“I’m very excited, it’s a lot of fun,” said Page on Tuesday. “I’m back there with a great group of guys like (Patrick) Surtain, (Ty) Law and (Jarrad) Page.

Is there something wrong with this comment?
It's Athan via Goat boy, what do you expect?

Thig Lyfe
08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Bonecrusher is cool. I met him at a restaurant once. We talked about the Ahmad Plummer deal and Jared Allen.

But this article made me want to stab my dear sweet grandmother.

dirk digler
08-01-2007, 08:02 PM

Sorry. No way.

FAX

Yep stupid comment.

Even if by some miracle they win a SB they wouldn't even be in the top 5 in Chiefs history.

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Jim Lynch

2 HOF's and all 3 Chief HOF's.

The current group couldn't hold that groups jock

FAX
08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
"NFL players do one of two things - they either get it, or they don’t."

ROFL

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

FAX

FAX
08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Yep stupid comment.

Even they by some miracle win a SB they wouldn't even be in the top 5 in Chiefs history.

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Jim Lynch

Yeah. I think the rush to get material out quickly is causing some ill-conceived paragraphs to emerge in public, Mr. dirk digler. Not a good thing.

FAX

LocoChiefsFan
08-01-2007, 08:10 PM
“I’m very excited, it’s a lot of fun,” said Page on Tuesday. “I’m back there with a great group of guys like (Patrick) Surtain, (Ty) Law and (Jarrad) Page. It’s something I don’t want to give up. I’m going to give it 150 to 200 percent. I’m learning every day.”:hmmm:

KcMizzou
08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Ouch, that linbackers line is brutal.

I originally posted this in Rainman's thread, but it fits better here...

Has anyone heard any Pollard interviews lately?

The guy comes off as the most likeable, candid, seasoned vet you'd ever wanna meet. And he sounds genuinely excited about this D. You can tell the jitters are long gone. He just seems to really be having a lot of fun.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Pollard is really cool. He loves kids and hangs out forever signing autographs. He gives people hugs.

mlyonsd
08-01-2007, 08:17 PM
If Pollard would have been a Chief in the late 60's, early 70's we wouldn't have lost more than two games a year during his tenure.

Priest4Prez
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
He gives people hugs.
How many times have you gone to pollard?

KcMizzou
08-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Pollard is really cool. He loves kids and hangs out forever signing autographs. He gives people hugs.Very cool. That's refreshing after hearing some of the less pleasant experiences people have reported from meeting other players up there.

Demonpenz
08-01-2007, 08:21 PM
if anyone watch best dan sports show his hit on that minnisota player was like 30 on the "most devistating hits"

Demonpenz
08-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Very cool. That's refreshing after hearing some of the less pleasant experiences people have reported from meeting other players up there.

I DON'T PLAY FOR PENN STATE!

milkman
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I see that the most moronic claim I've seen in quite some time has been addressed, so my presence isn't needed here.

Carry on.

Just one last thing.

They let this dumabass write?

Mosbonian
08-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Yep stupid comment.

Even if by some miracle they win a SB they wouldn't even be in the top 5 in Chiefs history.

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
Jim Lynch

I'm with you on this......in fact I would venture to say that even on some of the more pathetic Chief's team there were some better LB's....

One thing that you forgot to add to the trio above.....2 trips to the SB, with 1 win, 1 loss.

mmaddog

TinyEvel
08-01-2007, 08:41 PM
You guys need to lighten up on GoChiefs.

IMO this is a decent, accurate take on Pollard. I agree with this. Too bad the only thing some of you can add is to pick apart the typos or the LB/Homer comment. If the line is good enough to even make a person consider that, that is friggen great news.

I will be the first to say C.E. W is an ass alot of the times, he tries too hard to be a dick, sometimes. But that description fits a lot of us.

I think we're lucky to have someone who is on board ot give us updates on a constant basis. Take the good with the bad, MoFo's.

Go read the book of Job in the bible. (not to get all biblical thumpish on yo' azzes, but it is a good parable)

Hammock Parties
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
IMO this is a decent, accurate take on Pollard. I agree with this.

I'll tell Nick you liked his article.

TinyEvel
08-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I'll tell Nick you liked his article.

Okay, but also tell him...REPOST!!!!!

FAX
08-01-2007, 08:47 PM

IMO this is a decent, accurate take on Pollard. I agree with this. Too bad the only thing some of you can add is to pick apart the typos or the LB/Homer comment. If the line is good enough to even make a person consider that, that is friggen great news.

I will be the first to say C.E. W is an ass alot of the times, he tries too hard to be a dick, sometimes. But that description fits a lot of us.

I think we're lucky to have someone who is on board ot give us updates on a constant basis. Take the good with the bad, MoFo's.

Go read the book of Job in the bible. (not to get all biblical thumpish on yo' azzes, but it is a good parable)

It is my sincere hope that Mr. GoChiefs realizes a long and outstanding career as a sports writer, Mr. TinyEvel. I have, on many occasions, publicly supported his efforts. However, his comment in respect to our linebackers is so wrong that I consider it my duty as a Chiefs fan to point out the error which means that your criticism of my criticism is .... MOOT!!!

FAX

El Jefe
08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Jack Tatum is one of the hardest hitters ever.

milkman
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
It is my sincere hope that Mr. GoChiefs realizes a long and outstanding career as a sports writer, Mr. TinyEvel. I have, on many occasions, publicly supported his efforts. However, his comment in respect to our linebackers is so wrong that I consider it my duty as a Chiefs fan to point out the error which means that your criticism of my criticism is .... MOOT!!!

FAX

:thumb:

Hammock Parties
08-01-2007, 08:52 PM
However, his comment in respect to our linebackers is so wrong that I consider it my duty as a Chiefs fan to point out the error

I didn't write the article.

KcMizzou
But... GC didn't write this...

Say what you will, but he's no Athan.

milkman
Jack Tatum is one of the hardest hitters ever.

In other breaking news, we've landed on the moon!

Mosbonian
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM

TinyEvel:

While Sire Fax capably spoke for most of us, I feel impelled to add my comments.....

I rarely take GC to task...... but I have also seen a large amount of hyperbole and aggrandization tossed about in Training Camp reports by cub reporters trying to get their names recognized. I would take umbrage with the LB's comment no matter who made it.....be it Whitlock, Jo Po, Bob Costas, Mel Kiper, Shannon Sharpe, Terry Bradshaw, Howie Long, etc....

I enjoyed the article and appreciate the reports. But I have managed to watched the local reports on the Bengals TC and been down there once or twice in person, and find myself laughing at what was reported versus what I observed.

mmaddog

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-01-2007, 09:24 PM
He gives people hugs.
And the truth of why you like him comes out. Did you give him a reach around?

Seriously though GC, if you guys want to be taken at all seriously you need to stop with the stupidity like the "best linebackers ever" line. Jeez.

FAX
08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I didn't write the article.

Glad to hear it.

FAX

milkman
08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
And the truth of why you like him comes out. Did you give him a reach around?

Seriously though GC, if you guys want to be taken at all seriously you need to stop with the stupidity like the "best linebackers ever" line. Jeez.

I think that "taken..seriously" ship sailed long ago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
I think that "taken..seriously" ship sailed long ago.
That could be. I was trying to be honestly constructive rather than just jump on the dogpile.

KcMizzou
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
This is a Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan Article.

Rasputin
08-01-2007, 09:54 PM
I know we had another safety #20 Deron Cherry, he could hit and get Ints. I like Bonecrusher Pollard and think he could be the next Deron Cherry. :thumb:
Why didn't he mention Deron Cherry as a great Chief Safety in this report? :harumph:

cdcox
08-02-2007, 12:11 AM
If Pollard would have been a Chief in the late 60's, early 70's we wouldn't have lost more than two games a year during his tenure.

This is almost as good as the LB quote. Maybe better because no one challenged it.

Johnny Robinson was on the all-time AFL team. He is tied for 10th all time in career interceptions. Had we beaten Miami on Christmas Day in 1972, he'd probably be in the HOF.

Jim Kearny was no slouch. He shares the NFL record for most interceptions returned for a TD in a single season (four).

What do we know about Pollard? He made a few great plays on special teams last year that prove his athleticm. He's been a training camp phenom. Herm is impressed enough with him to push Wesley to the bench and maybe off the team.

To put this in perspective, a few years ago we were saying how Woods and Tounge/Wesley (pick your year) was one of the best young safety duos in the league. This assesment was made after they had been starters for a full season or more. So I think I'll wait until we see him play a few games as a starter before I crown him.

Deberg_1990
08-02-2007, 12:13 AM
I cant crown his ass yet.

kcfanXIII
08-02-2007, 12:38 AM
article sucked, but he's right about pollard, this kid, along with page, will be terrorizing nfl qb's trying to go deep for a looong time. at least i hope so.