PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with MIKE PRIEFER - 8/2

Tribal Warfare
08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/08/02/qa_with_mike_priefer__82/

http://www.kcchiefs.com/2006_tc_hq/

Q: You’ve got a new kicker and long snapper out there; what do you see so far?

MIKE PRIEFER: “They’re working extremely hard. I said earlier in camp the toughest thing right now so far is Dustin (Colquitt) moving over to hold for a left footed kicker. We’re working a lot with JP (Darche) snapping and with the jugs gun to get as many snaps as possible. [Medlock’s] improved immensely.

“Dustin is punting the ball well and Justin Medlock has kicked off well [today] and he’s hitting field goals better and better.”

Q: He had a day the other day where he missed four [kicks]. Is that a blip on the radar or is that something you pay attention to?

PRIEFER: “I think a little bit of both. You have to pay attention to it, but as I told him right after that happened: ‘Justin, it’s July 31.’ It’s not a bad thing to happen. It’s part of the maturation process for a young kicker. He’s going to have a bad day. Once he realizes that he’s going to be fine. I think he did. He came back the next two days and was four-for-four yesterday and three-for-four today. I think he’s hitting the ball pretty well.”

Q: What about kick returner? Is it Jeff Webb’s job to lose?

PRIEFER: “I wouldn’t necessarily say that. It’s going to come down to pre-season games: who’s going to stick it up in there. We want to have a good four-man wedge, good power running game. Who’s going to run them the way we want them to run with great ball security. The guy who performs the best will get the job.”

Q: Herm said today that Justin [Medlock] was eight of nine before his bad day. Is that right?

PRIEFER: “He was exactly eight-of-nine and seven of eight since then.”

Q: How hard is it for you to pick guys for special teams as the roster is whittled down?

PRIEFER: “That’s the most fun part of my job. I get to work with these young guys who are young and eager and coachable. The smart ones know. If they’re not a starter and a young guy they’re competing with everyone else on the team for a job on special teams. That’s what keeps me going. The guys that stand out are the guys that I can trust. The guys you can throw in a game and do the things you want them to do.”

Q: Do the guys you have lined up now mean anything at all?

PRIEFER: “I don’t think the depth chart means anything. We’re training a lot of guys at a lot of different spots and they’re not necessarily going to play those exact spots in the pre-season or regular season. I’m going to move as many guys around and train them so they’re prepared.”

Q: Can you put the pieces together, starter versus third guy?

PRIEFER: “We have a head coach here that allows us to use starters on special teams and that is a tremendous plus and tremendous advantage. You have to pick and choose your spots. If Bernard Pollard is a starting safety then he can only play on certain teams. If Jarrad Page is a starting safety then he can only play on certain teams. The two linebackers on the punt team in DJ and Napoleon are not going to be used in a lot of stuff. But we’re going to use them on punt and possibly on field goal block and pick and choose our spots.”

Q: With Dante Hall no longer here. Some thought he was a flash in the pan. How big a loss is he to you here? How do you think he’ll be in St. Louis?

PRIEFER: “I don’t think Dante Hall has ever been described as a flash in the pan. He had several good years here and was one of the greatest returners in this organization and in the NFL. I think he’ll still be a positive. He’s in a dome. It depends on how they utilize him. I think it’s a new look for him; it’s a fresh start for him. And, it’s a fresh start for us and I’m excited about our future.”

HemiEd
08-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Good read. So they only try four field goals a day? I am surprised at that.

milkman
08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
mmaddog would be the one to ask, but I would imagine that you have to be careful not to overwork the kicker in TC so his leg doesn't wear down by the end of the season.

recxjake
08-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Good read. So they only try four field goals a day? I am surprised at that.

I think that is 4 live field goal kicks....

I'm sure he is kicking the ball all day long off to the side.

FAX
08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Mr. HemiEd. Here's the theory I came up with ...

A kicker has to respond to extreme pressure in a live game environment. So, by only allowing 4 FG attempts per day in camp, each FG attempt increases in importance compared to, say, 500 attempts per day. Therefore, the pressure the kicker feels in attempting to make the 4 FGs per day in camp is greater which, in turn, simulates the pressure associated with a game situation.

Crazy? Yes. But it's all I could come up with on such short notice other than the squirrel theory which still needs a little more work.

FAX

HemiEd
08-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing, Mr. HemiEd. Here's the theory I came up with ...

A kicker has to respond to extreme pressure in a live game environment. So, by only allowing 4 FG attempts per day in camp, each FG attempt increases in importance compared to, say, 500 attempts per day. Therefore, the pressure the kicker feels in attempting to make the 4 FGs per day in camp is greater which, in turn, simulates the pressure associated with a game situation.

Crazy? Yes. But it's all I could come up with on such short notice other than the squirrel theory which still needs a little more work.

FAX

Your's and rexjakes take, both make a lot of sense, and congrats on not being a n00b anymore Mr. Fax! :thumb:

el borracho
08-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Is Kolby Smith playing special teams?

Direckshun
08-02-2007, 10:47 PM
He's a #3 RB. Of course he is.

RustShack
08-02-2007, 10:50 PM
He's a #3 RB. Of course he is.

Could be #4 if Holmes sticks around

el borracho
08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Well, yeah, one would hope he is but I cannot recall reading about it. Of course, I usually skim through special teams reports pretty quickly as I find them infinitely less interesting than other aspects of the game. Do you happen to know what, specifically, Smith does?

Direckshun
08-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Well, yeah, one would hope he is but I cannot recall reading about it. Of course, I usually skim through special teams reports pretty quickly as I find them infinitely less interesting than other aspects of the game. Do you happen to know what, specifically, Smith does?
Not really.

What things are there for a smaller guy to do on special teams?

1. He could be a gunner on punt returns.
2. He could be a guy on the end rushing the kicker on FG attempts.
3. He could be a kickoff coverage guy.

From the pictures I've seen (the thousands I've seen...) I haven't seen any evidence of #1 or #2. #3 is probably what I'd guess.

el borracho
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Blaylock (former RB) used to lead Hall on kickoff returns. I'm thinking Blaylock would have been faster than Smith, though.

RustShack
08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Not really.

What things are there for a smaller guy to do on special teams?

1. He could be a gunner on punt returns.
2. He could be a guy on the end rushing the kicker on FG attempts.
3. He could be a kickoff coverage guy.

From the pictures I've seen (the thousands I've seen...) I haven't seen any evidence of #1 or #2. #3 is probably what I'd guess.

The special teams will change alot when its cut down to 53 people though, so who knows what will happen when we start losing guys.

beer bacon
08-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Could be #4 if Holmes sticks around

I really, really hope Priest has something left in the tank. I am absolutely sure Carl's ego won't allow LJ to not be suited up for opening day, but I am not sure about Priest. Our running game will be insane if LJ, Priest, Bennett, and K. Smith are all ready to go.

Christofire
08-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Quote: "We’re working a lot with JP (Darche) snapping and with the jugs gun to get as many snaps as possible."

Jugs gun? I want one of those!!

bringbackmarty
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
dude, it is a lot harder to catch a boob than a football from one of those things, trust me.