PDA

View Full Version : Late night football bullshit.

Direckshun
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Just one of thousands I've started.

Anyway, hi there. I'm about to give you my completely premature assessment of how I think the Chiefs are going to shape out. I claim no special expertise in the ways of football, the Chiefs, or Herman Edwards. I claim no past history of success in predictions, matter of fact my predictions usually end up completely wrong. I also do not claim that this thread hasn't already been started approximately 8,000 times this offseason, and that adding my own voice to the pandamonium helps the problem in any way.

But America being free and whatnot, even with the expanding nature of governmental surveillance, including the considerable threats we've seen to habeus corpus and checks and balances during the current administration, I still basically have the right to say what I want when I want. What I haven't considered, is the fact that ChiefsPlanet is not a public forum but rather a private one where censorship can in fact run rampant without violating the Constitution. And it's a good thing I haven't considered that, because I wouldn't have posted this thread if I had thought of it.

What's the story with the Chiefs. Well, I've been what I like to call a "reasonable optimist," or to peruse a football colloquialism, a "mediocre homer." I like to believe in all outcomes that are (a.) positive, and (b.) realistic. Occasionally I will sacrifice the former in favor of the latter, but this is a thread about the Chiefs, not my opinion on our ill-begotten and incompetently orchestrated foray into Iraq.

That being said, let me start with the most controversial unit, the offense. Why? Because we know the defense is going to be good. We know Pollard & Page are going to pan out perfectly fine, we know Surtain & Law can hold the fort down at CB for another year, we know the LB corps has vastly improved and will be one of the top units in the league, we know Tamba and Jared are going to wreak havoc in the backfield, and we know the DT position is deeper and stocked with more talent now than any previous Chiefs team in the 21st century.

My concerns for the offense do not focus around Croyle. I do not believe Croyle will develop into a Pro Bowler but I am committed to the notion that he can develop into a solid QB that may not be able to beat the world on his own, but could reshape the continents trying. I do not worry about the hold outs with LJ and Bowe, as LJ was ready for the season to start in May, and Bowe still has time to gel with the offense, since no QB's been selected for the starting job yet for him to work on timing. And I do not fear the Big Apple himself, LT Damion McIntosh, as I believe he will be the best acquisition of our offseason this side of Donnie Edwards.

No, my friends. My concerns, totally and entirely, can be aptly summarized in this run-on sentence: I have no idea if anybody we have in the backfield other than LJ can pan out since none of the FBs have displayed any running ability and none of the RBs have displayed the ability to secure the football not to mention that our best wide receiver is in his upper thirties and will come nowhere near a 1,000 yard season and Parker is likely to be our other starter and Hannon, Webb, and Eck look good I suppose but they are not world-changers that can put this particular unit into the upper half of the league, and our offensive line is a series of veterans because we haven't drafted a solid guy for that position since I can't remember Terry's been burned more than firewood since he arrived in River Falls but I don't know if it's because he's awful or if it's simply Hali being awesome and there have been lots of blitzes that have broken through the OL.

I fear the Offense will be bottom 10 this year.

I ask that you either lift my spirits, or insult poor grammar.

9 wins this year. But thanks to a relatively easy schedule, not a particularly wonderful offense.

Demonpenz
08-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I think if we don't get out blackout drunk and play video games instead of hitting the plaza. We can avoid other std's, fights, dwi's and have a decent time.

Direckshun
08-02-2007, 11:27 PM
I completely agree.

RustShack
08-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Bennett and Smith havn't really been fumbleing as much as Ross and O'Keith, and we also still have Priest Holmes. LJ will get signed and I think after all this he is going to have another HUGE chip on his shoulder, I think he could have a really really good year. The offencive line improving this year should really help him too, and I also think our FB will be a tad bit better at blocking this year too. I think the Chiefs will keep 4 RB's this year, Johnson and Holmes are sure handed, and I don't think Bennett and Smith will have too big of a problem with fumbling on thier limited carries. Holmes most likely won't be anything like he was, but thats why he wont be the starter. I think he has enough left to really help out the Chiefs though.

Smed1065
08-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I am gone a week and this is what you have reduced DS to?

el borracho
08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Well, I usually find myself aiming at the realistic camp but somehow find myself in the cynical, pesimistic camp. Apparently, I have a poor sense of direction.

Defense
I don't know that we can count on all those defensive changes working out but I do think a good bit of them seem likely.

DT: We have suffered poor play here for longer than I care to think about but, once again, we have invested some day one draft picks in the position. Based on reports out of camp, McBride seems likely to be part of the solution. Tank- certainly looks the part but at this point, who knows?

DE: I have every confidence in both Allen and Hali and actually feel pretty good about Wilkerson, truth be told. Can't ask for a whole lot more there.

LB: Let me preface this by saying I am not a Donnie Edwards fan. That said, Edwards should be a big upgrade in the pass defense and probably won't kill us in the run game (he isn't great but doesn't make mistakes, either). I'm not sure what to think about Harris. Seems pretty same, same as Mitchell but, then again, I was a Mitchell fan. I think everyone can agree that we are happy with DJ.

S: We saw Page do exceptionally well in spot duty last year so there is reason to hope there. Pollard, while a special teams demon and an athletic freak, remains a question mark at S. I like to think he will work out but I don't count that as guaranteed.

CB: I think we have all been happy with Law and Surtain and even a year older and slower they should still be effective cover two corners.

Offense
Well, this is where it gets impossible to predict because at this point we don't even know who is making the team.

QB: Can't say for sure but I find it increasingly likely we start Croyle. Camp reports sound rosy but what is that worth? Historically, the odds of someone becoming an effective NFL QB are pretty low.

RB: I don't at all believe that LJ will holdout into the regular season. Then again, I recognize the possibility. Well, whatever. Even without him we have a full cupboard.

TE: Proudly, we still retain the services of the second best TE currently playing.

WR: Big questions here. Is Parker starting again this year or is he cut? When will Bowe get here, how much time will he see this year and at what position? Will he be the #2? #3? Will he line up wide most of the time or will he be in the slot? How talented is Webb? Hannon? Gardner? Nobody knows.

C: Weigman seems entrenched at C. For a time, I considered this a potential weakness but I'm starting to come around on him. Seems the coaches are satisfied (they haven't tried too hard to replace him) so I guess I should be satisfied, as well.

G: Welbourn going from T to G is reassuring and I can't imagine anyone has a complaint with Waters.

T: Here it gets iffy again. How good is McIntosh? Who is our RT? Terry had promise 3 or 4 years ago but that was, well, that was 3 or 4 years ago. Will Turley make the roster and, if he does, will he survive 16 games? Svitek? Sampson? They haven't done much to impress so far, why should we expect that to change? I really don't expect any of these guys to be anything more than average.

Schedule
You mention the schedule as easy but I don't know that that is true. We do get to kick sand in the Raidurrs face but we also have to play San Diego twice and we have to go to Denver. Not to get too Vermeil here but we also open and close the season with tough travel. 3 of the first 4 on the road, 3 of the last 4 on the road (and we don't win on the road in December).

All in all, I'd say our success will depend on the Oline and Dline. If the Dline is improved as advertised we should have a top 10 D. If not, we may be in the teens. If the Oline can be average or above average then Croyle should do ok in Herm's system (9 wins, maybe maybe 10 wins, depending on other factors like the WRs and the FB).

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
Well, I usually find myself aiming at the realistic camp but somehow find myself in the cynical, pesimistic camp. Apparently, I have a poor sense of direction.

Blah,blah, blah- see previous post if you read this. Erased to save paper :banghead:

I agree with almost everything here.

I have faith in McIntosh for some reason (because of last years LT that started). I feel that consistency (hopefully) on the O line makes a big difference. Hopefully the other players on the O-line can cover the weak link with consistency.

Depth at CB is still a main concern IMO.

Page is great for big plays and I also wonder about 24/7 duty.

Seems pretty same, same as Mitchell but, then again, I was a Mitchell fan.

I thought a lot was expected from Mitchell with all the scheme changes and thought he did good adjusting after the first change,
I believe the speed difference will show up with the cover two though.

Good post!