PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs Vikings

Crashride
08-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Anyone have an outcome/review? I cant seem to find anything :deevee:

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
The practice didn't start until 6:30 P.M..

rad
08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
So it should be pertnear(sp?) over, right?

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 07:51 PM
So it should be pertnear(sp?) over, right?

I would think so, but the Riverfalls people are pretty slow. Hopefully Gochiefs will show up with a report soon.

rad
08-03-2007, 07:55 PM
I would think so, but the Riverfalls people are pretty slow. Hopefully Gochiefs will show up with a report soon.

I was actually expecting a play by play from Clayton.

Or at least a quarterly report.

Slacker :shake:

KcMizzou
08-03-2007, 07:56 PM
From what I heard on the radio today, I wouldn't expect much.

Supposedly, Printers will play QB most of the time, and most of the vets will never see the field.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
From what I heard on the radio today, I wouldn't expect much.

Supposedly, Printers will play QB most of the time, and most of the vets will never see the field.

Probably having to do with us facing them this year.

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 07:58 PM
I was actually expecting a play by play from Clayton.

Or at least a quarterly report.

Slacker :shake:

He will probably show up so he can tell us that coverage for tonight's scrimmage is PREMIUM content.

rad
08-03-2007, 08:06 PM
He will probably show up so he can tell us that coverage for tonight's scrimmage is PREMIUM content.

LMAO

I'm all over that.....

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Where is Mr. Direckshun and our daily report and photos and stuff?

FAX

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 08:11 PM

FAX

The only report the River Falls has on tonight's practice focuses purely on the fans. There aren't any sources for Direckshun to pull info from.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I am only as powerful as my sources.

...or am I.

Yeah, I am.

DenverChief
08-03-2007, 08:14 PM
when does the HBO series on the chiefs start?

KcMizzou
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
when does the HBO series on the chiefs start?The 8th, I believe.

ChiefsfaninPA
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM

Wednesday at 10.

beer bacon

Wednesday at 7:00 or 8:00 P.M.. I think.

rad
Wed. the 8th

DenverChief
08-03-2007, 08:17 PM
thanks guys

rad
08-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Is tonight strictly a practice session or is it like a game?

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Is tonight strictly a practice session or is it like a game?

Joint practice with a scrimmage to wrap things up. Most of our vets won't be participating in the scrimmage, but Croyle, Huard, Page, Pollard, etc. will.

KcMizzou
08-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Is tonight strictly a practice session or is it like a game?Mostly practice... with a short scrimmage session.

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I am only as powerful as my sources.

...or am I.

Yeah, I am.

So ... we must rely on Mr. GoChiefs for information about tonight?

FAX

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 08:22 PM
So ... we must rely on Mr. GoChiefs for information about tonight?

FAX
Honestly, I believe the UW-RF site and kcchiefs.com will have updates.

But I'm willing to bet Goat Cheese beats them to the punch, like he has all week.

ChiefaRoo
Where the fook is the chunky cub reporter?

beer bacon
Where the fook is the chunky cub reporter?

Hey. Shut the **** up.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey. Shut the **** up.
Blow me, you turtle penis.

rad
08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Joint practice with a scrimmage to wrap things up. Most of our vets won't be participating in the scrimmage, but Croyle, Huard, Page, Pollard, etc. will.

Will they keep score?

If so we should do predictions. I say 13-0 Chiefs

(that's 3 figgies and 2 safties ;) )

rad
08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I believe the UW-RF site and kcchiefs.com will have updates.

But I'm willing to bet Goat Cheese beats them to the punch, like he has all week.

I checked kcchiefs.com and they said updates will be in the morning.

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Practice with 3rd stringers mainly.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
FOILED AGAIN.

http://mud.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3770070140

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey. Shut the **** up.

BB you be nice or I'm going to ban you.

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM

That is unfortunate.

FAX

BigRock
08-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Herm said yesterday that Croyle and Huard won't be involved in the scrimmage. He actually said it'd be mainly the practice squad level guys that he wants to get a game-setting look at, so I even wonder if guys like Pollard and Page will take part.

rad
08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
That is unfortunate.

FAX

Well, "in the morning" could mean only 1 hour and 28 minutes, Mr. FAX.

KcMizzou
08-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Herm said yesterday that Croyle and Huard won't be involved in the scrimmage. He actually said it'd be mainly the practice squad level guys that he wants to get a game-setting look at, so I even wonder if guys like Pollard and Page will take part.I heard the same.

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, "in the morning" could mean only 1 hour and 28 minutes, Mr. FAX.

I guess it could, Mr. rad. For a minute there, I thought they meant the figurative "morning" as in that bright, shining moment when LJ and Bowe arrive with visions of the Super Bowl in their heads, Carl waves farewell at the bus station as he leaves to study the indigenous peoples of the rainforest, and Len Dawson’s physique is magically altered to the age of 27.

FAX

HemiEd
08-03-2007, 08:47 PM

FAX

It does kind of spoil a person. At least Kotter should check in.

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Herm said yesterday that Croyle and Huard won't be involved in the scrimmage. He actually said it'd be mainly the practice squad level guys that he wants to get a game-setting look at, so I even wonder if guys like Pollard and Page will take part.

That is disappointed. I read an article about how this will be Croyle's first chance to really prove himself, and I got my hopes up. Oh well. At least I can hear about how Jeff Terrell threw four interceptions.

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
You guys must have ruined DS while I was not posting for a week.

Did Goatse get a hold of him?

HemiEd
08-03-2007, 08:55 PM
You guys must have ruined DS while I was not posting for a week.

Did Goatse get a hold of him?

DS has done a great job all week. You were gone?:D

kcchiefsus
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Vikings-Chiefs recap
Friday, August 3rd, 2007 by Judd Zulgad
A crowd of more than 7,000 was inside Blakeslee Stadium tonight to watch a Vikings-Chiefs practice that ended about 20 minutes early. This was not a scrimmage so there were no stats. It will be the same situation Saturday when the teams meet again in River Falls, Wis. The interesting thing is that these clubs will play in Week 3 of the regular season in Kansas City so neither club is showing anything other than the most basic stuff.

Here are some of the notes, as well as highlights and lowlights, that Seifert and I collected:

– With Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor sitting out, Mewelde Moore got plenty of work with the first-team offense. It wasn’t always pretty. In the very first set of drills for the Vikings’ offense, a seven-on-seven period, quarterback Tarvaris Jackson attempted to hand off to Moore but the two ran into each other ending only the second play of the evening.

– Quarterback Tarvaris Jackson did not commit a turnover during team drills, but the Vikings didn’t move the ball much with either Jackson or Brooks Bollinger behind center. The two rotated evenly, typically taking three snaps before switching. On his first series, Jackson was sacked, handed off to Mewelde Moore (-5 yards) and threw a pass behind Chandler Williams. “We had some good plays and some bad plays,” Jackson said. “That’s why we’re out here, trying to get better and get some repetitions.”

– Also sitting out: Receiver Aundrae Allison (hamstring), cornerback Ronyell Whitaker (ankle sprain), running back Wendell Mathis (muscle tightness), linebacker Ben Leber (calf) and receiver Troy Williamson. Williamson’s absence was a surprise. Coach Brad Childress said the receiver has an infection but might be able to participate in Saturday’s practice.

– Injured in Friday’s practice: Third-team right guard Dan Mozes had to be taken off the field on a cart after injuring his right knee in team drills. Receiver Chandler Williams suffered a concussion and defensive end Khreem Smith hurt his knee. Smith was able to continue.

– There were no fights but Smith came close to getting into it with Kansas City tackle Ramiro Pruneda during a one-on-one drill. Working on the practice field right outside the stadium, Pruneda got Smith to the ground and landed on him. Smith wasn’t happy and the two came face to face with each other. Kansas City coach Herm Edwards quick ran over to make sure the two wouldn’t get into it.

– Cornerback Charles Gordon picked off a Damon Huard pass in a seven-on-seven drills jumping in front of the Kansas City receiver. Gordon finished with two interceptions.

– Rookie free-agent John Kerr, working with the third team at linebacker, was all over the field(s). Kerr had a few good hits, including one where he took out Kansas City tight end Michael Allan on a pass play. He later delivered a hit on Chiefs running back Derrick Ross after Ross took a pitch. Kerr’s most impressive play, though, was an interception of a pass thrown over the middle by Jeff Terrell.

– Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who has 18 1/2 sacks in the past two seasons, got around left tackle Bryant McKinnie a few times during team drills. McKinnie was participating in his third day of training camp after missing the first nine practices because of a strained muscle. Quarterbacks could not be hit, but Allen put himself in position for at least two sacks.

– The Vikings’ offensive highlight, meanwhile, was a tight sideline reception by receiver Justin Surrency, who hauled in a pass from quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

– Punter Chris Kluwe stood out during the brief special teams portion of the practice. Of his six punts, the shortest went for 51 yards. Overall, Kluwe averaged 58.8 yards per punt. Judging by that performance, Kluwe seems to have regained his form of 2005. His competitor for the job, punter Alex Reyes, only got two chances, booting punts of 39 and 47 yards.

– Kenechi Udeze got most of the work with the first-team defensive at left end and Darrion Scott was with the second team. Ray Edwards, meanwhile, is cleary the No. 1 right end at this point. Smith appears to be his primary back up, with rookie Brian Robison behind him.

– For the most part, the Vikings did not use nose tackle Pat Williams, defensive tackle Kevin Williams or cornerback Antoine Winfield. All three are healthy but this was a case of the Vikings wanting to get a look at other players. With Pat and Kevin watching, Howard Green and Spencer Johnson got first-team looks at the tackle spots. Rookie Marcus McCauley, meanwhile, replaced Winfield for the most part.

– McCauley continues to be around the ball on a consistent basis. He nearly picked off a pass along the sideline that was thrown by Chiefs quarterback Damon Huard.

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Sounds like Huard had a bad outing.

FAX
08-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Well. That sounds ugly.

FAX

Skip Towne
08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Blow me, you turtle penis.
Just some of your fans chiming in there Asshataroo?

HemiEd
I thought Huard wasn't going to play? :hmmm:

Direckshun
Sounds like Huard's struggling.

Would like to hear a more objective/Chiefs-friendly account.

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Well. That sounds ugly.

FAX

It sounds like our defense did good. Also, the Vikings not mentioning any ****ups by Croyle means that he did pretty well. Unless he didn't participate at all.

kcchiefsus
08-03-2007, 09:15 PM
That was from the Vikings perspective. Can't wait to see what the Chiefs perspective is.

FAX
08-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Just some of your fans chiming in there Asshataroo?

I am just a caveman who was frozen in a block of ice and thawed out by some of your modern scientists. Your turtle penis insult frightens and confuses me.

FAX

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I thought Huard wasn't going to play? :hmmm:

This was just practice. I am guessing Herm said that he wouldn't participate in any scrimmages.

LocoChiefsFan
08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
This is obviously Vikings media coverage. Huard threw more interceptions during one practice then he did during the 8 games he played last season. :(

milkman
It sounds like our defense did good. Also, the Vikings not mentioning any ****ups by Croyle means that he did pretty well. Unless he didn't participate at all.

Huard and Croyle are competing for the job, so in al likelyhood, they rotated much the same as the Vikings' QBs.

In this account, no news on Croyle is probably good news.

Skip Towne
I am just a caveman who was frozen in a block of ice and thawed out by some of your modern scientists. Your turtle penis insult frightens and confuses me.

FAX
Well, we keep this doofus around for a whipping boy, Chiefaroo, and many posters hurl insults at him. He really is quite the dick.

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, we keep this doofus around for a whipping boy, Chiefaroo, and many posters hurl insults at him. He really is quite the dick.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e4MxbGZs2mc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e4MxbGZs2mc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

C-Mac
08-03-2007, 09:46 PM
This is obviously Vikings media coverage. Huard threw more interceptions during one practice then he did during the 8 games he played last season. :(

Huard has NEVER been a good preseason QB.

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
DS has done a great job all week. You were gone?:D

I was just giving crap because he usually is the topic starter on the nite thread with great input.

I know you go to bed at 9 during your weak.. :)

He has started them but disappeared this week, hope he has not picked up your habits since I was gone.

He has great input and is honest about it.

:)

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM
How many grown men did Casey Printers make cry?

GarySpFc
08-03-2007, 10:11 PM
That was from the Vikings perspective. Can't wait to see what the Chiefs perspective is.

Friday, Aug. 3, 2007: Chiefs-Vikings Practice

Cool weather set in at MSU-Mankato as the Chiefs/Vikings practice began. The temperature remained low at 71 degrees, with humidity at 75 percent. A slight breeze blew in from the south south-east at three miles per hour. The dew point was 63. The sky opened up to sprinkle on fans for approximately 10 minutes halfway through the practice session, but did not escalate into a full-blown shower or storm.

Offense

The offense ran a 4-on-4 drill that has not been seen at Chiefs camp before; it was a Vikings exclusive. One quarterback and three ball carriers went up against four defenders. Black trash barrels stood in place of offensive tackles on the 18-yard line. Quarterbacks Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard and Casey Printers all took snaps from Chiefs’ Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar. Running back Marcus O’Keith had an athletic one-handed catch with his right hand on a 17-yard pass to the left from Printers. O’Keith jumped for the high pass and pulled it down like the amazing move was something he does everyday. Tight end Michael Allan dropped a 25-yard pass to the left side of the field. Running back Derrick Ross received a compliment from Head Coach Herm Edwards on a mid-range pass from Croyle to the middle. “Nice turn and finish,” said Edwards.

Quarterbacks Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard split reps during a 5-on-7 drill. Each gave out five passes; Croyle was 5-5 and Huard was 4-5. Huard threw an interception on a 14-yard pass across mid-field to the left sideline. The pass was intended for running back Marcus O’Keith but landed in the arms of Vikings’ cornerback Charles Gordon instead. Wide receiver Rod Gardner had a couple of striking performances during two consecutive reps. His first was a 22-yard pick up on a pass from Huard that Gardner received up the middle; he was untouched and would have had a touchdown had it been live play. Next, Gardner leaped for a high catch from Huard to the middle of the field and showcased his ability to grab the ball out of the air. Wide receiver Jeff Webb had a similar performance when he received a 25-yard pass from Croyle to the right sideline. Webb stretched his arms out to catch the ball and he leapt to keep it in bounds.

Defense

As the Chiefs defense marched on to the Blakeslee Stadium field they faced an overcast sky and many excited fans ready to watch football. The Chiefs defense performed well in a coverage drill. In the drill the quarterback throws the ball to wide receivers or tight ends without a rush. Cornerbacks then try to break up the play or make an interception. Cornerbacks Benny Sapp and Will Poole made outstanding plays against tight end Stephen Spach and wide receiver Chandler Williams. During this drill the corners locked up well and the Vikings weren’t able to make many catches.

The Chiefs defense had good containment on Viking quarterbacks throughout practice. During an 11-on-11 drill Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson would be forced out of the pocket on certain occasions. Jackson was having trouble finding open receivers down field. Jackson took off running on a few plays, but they weren’t designed run plays. The Chiefs defensive backs did a great job locking up wide receivers, forcing Jackson to pull the ball in and take off. The Chiefs haven’t been in many situations in practice where a quarterback ran as much as Jackson did. The defensive line showed they need more work on watching for the quarterback draw.

Possibly the two biggest defensive plays in practice came back-to-back exploiting the young Viking quarterback Drew Hensen. In the first play Hensen dropped back to pass looking for wide receiver Todd Lowber running across the middle of the field. The ball was thrown slightly behind Lowber and cornerback Will Poole had an easy interception in his hands, until he hit the ground, forcing the ball loose. On the very next play Henson threw the ball in the direction of wide receiver Chandler Williams, and Chiefs cornerback Justin Phinisee jumped up and snagged the ball. Phinisee caught the ball on the right hash mark and ran to his left, but he was whistled down shortly after. On the same play Vikings offensive lineman Dan Mozes injured his right leg and had to be carted off the field.

dirk digler
08-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I am posting from my mobile phone which isnt the greatest.

During the 11-11, Croyle looked very good, the D looked good. No complaints really. Watching Croyle the O is setup for him to get the ball out very, very quickly, he takes a 2-3 stop drop and the ball is gone.

Law and Surtain sat out, Priest wasn't there and no score was kept.

This was the 4th year I have been to Mankato and this was by far the largest crowd.

dirk digler
08-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Oh and Will Poole looks like a very good signing. He made quite a few plays tonight including an Int

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Friday, Aug. 3, 2007: Chiefs-Vikings Practice

Cool weather set in at MSU-Mankato as the Chiefs/Vikings practice began. The temperature remained low at 71 degrees, with humidity at 75 percent. A slight breeze blew in from the south south-east at three miles per hour. The dew point was 63. The sky opened up to sprinkle on fans for approximately 10 minutes halfway through the practice session, but did not escalate into a full-blown shower or storm.

Offense

The offense ran a 4-on-4 drill that has not been seen at Chiefs camp before; it was a Vikings exclusive. One quarterback and three ball carriers went up against four defenders. Black trash barrels stood in place of offensive tackles on the 18-yard line. Quarterbacks Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard and Casey Printers all took snaps from Chiefs’ Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach Brent Salazar. Running back Marcus O’Keith had an athletic one-handed catch with his right hand on a 17-yard pass to the left from Printers. O’Keith jumped for the high pass and pulled it down like the amazing move was something he does everyday. Tight end Michael Allan dropped a 25-yard pass to the left side of the field. Running back Derrick Ross received a compliment from Head Coach Herm Edwards on a mid-range pass from Croyle to the middle. “Nice turn and finish,” said Edwards.

Quarterbacks Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard split reps during a 5-on-7 drill. Each gave out five passes; Croyle was 5-5 and Huard was 4-5. Huard threw an interception on a 14-yard pass across mid-field to the left sideline. The pass was intended for running back Marcus O’Keith but landed in the arms of Vikings’ cornerback Charles Gordon instead. Wide receiver Rod Gardner had a couple of striking performances during two consecutive reps. His first was a 22-yard pick up on a pass from Huard that Gardner received up the middle; he was untouched and would have had a touchdown had it been live play. Next, Gardner leaped for a high catch from Huard to the middle of the field and showcased his ability to grab the ball out of the air. Wide receiver Jeff Webb had a similar performance when he received a 25-yard pass from Croyle to the right sideline. Webb stretched his arms out to catch the ball and he leapt to keep it in bounds.

Defense

As the Chiefs defense marched on to the Blakeslee Stadium field they faced an overcast sky and many excited fans ready to watch football. The Chiefs defense performed well in a coverage drill. In the drill the quarterback throws the ball to wide receivers or tight ends without a rush. Cornerbacks then try to break up the play or make an interception. Cornerbacks Benny Sapp and Will Poole made outstanding plays against tight end Stephen Spach and wide receiver Chandler Williams. During this drill the corners locked up well and the Vikings weren’t able to make many catches.

The Chiefs defense had good containment on Viking quarterbacks throughout practice. During an 11-on-11 drill Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson would be forced out of the pocket on certain occasions. Jackson was having trouble finding open receivers down field. Jackson took off running on a few plays, but they weren’t designed run plays. The Chiefs defensive backs did a great job locking up wide receivers, forcing Jackson to pull the ball in and take off. The Chiefs haven’t been in many situations in practice where a quarterback ran as much as Jackson did. The defensive line showed they need more work on watching for the quarterback draw.

Possibly the two biggest defensive plays in practice came back-to-back exploiting the young Viking quarterback Drew Hensen. In the first play Hensen dropped back to pass looking for wide receiver Todd Lowber running across the middle of the field. The ball was thrown slightly behind Lowber and cornerback Will Poole had an easy interception in his hands, until he hit the ground, forcing the ball loose. On the very next play Henson threw the ball in the direction of wide receiver Chandler Williams, and Chiefs cornerback Justin Phinisee jumped up and snagged the ball. Phinisee caught the ball on the right hash mark and ran to his left, but he was whistled down shortly after. On the same play Vikings offensive lineman Dan Mozes injured his right leg and had to be carted off the field.

I know this is the interweb but paragraphs, sentences and some punctuation would be nice. Guess that phone is not what they said it would be....

cdcox
08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the Chiefs got the better of them. Beating the Vikings in '07 is a good omen considering we beat them in '70. A very good omen, indeed.

the Talking Can
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
How many grown men did Casey Printers make cry?

how many coaches do we have?

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2007, 10:44 PM
how many coaches do we have?

They were all weeping with joy at the spectacle they were so privileged to be witnessing.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Guys, I'm updating the site in a few minutes. We're running a little late. Suffice it to say Brodie Croyle was VERY impressive.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Guys, I'm updating the site in a few minutes. We're running a little late. Suffice it to say Brodie Croyle was VERY impressive.
Good to hear.

Hope to see you give us either the link or the 411 on your opinion.

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2007, 11:19 PM

I'd rather pay money for that information. Is that possible?

FAX
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
I'd rather pay money for that information. Is that possible?

ROFL

FAX

FAX
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Please hurry. My vomit is after me.

FAX

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:35 PM
It's free. Mostly because I only watched the offense. The separated them so I had to choose. I had a horrible vantage point when the Chiefs' offense moved inside the stadium.

Site is live in a second here. I've got a nice Boomer article and some stuff from Mike Nugent coming, too.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:36 PM
BOOM!

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/664580.html

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Also, I hung out with Stevieray and stood in the presence of several Chiefs while my associates interviewed them. Tony Richardson is bigger than you think. Will Svitek isn't really happy about not getting a real shot at right tackle. Also stood RIGHT BEHIND Zygi Wilf on the sideline.

beach tribe
08-03-2007, 11:43 PM
BOOM!

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/664580.html
thnx man. drunk and lovin it

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Well that gives me a little more perspective on why Hali's been a Hell Beast in River Falls. Terry really does look that bad.

Great news about Brodie and the receivers -- because Brodie can't make those plays without the WRs making their end of the bargains. Very few drops, which is fantastic. I'll take fundamental football any day -- the circus catches are icing on the cake.

I'm honestly scared about Gardner making this team again, though. You can't play 14 games, make 2 receptions, and expect to be on the team next year. Pleeeeease just give some young guys a shot, Herm. Pleeeeeeeease.

Thanks again, GoChiefs.

Edit: There may not be a tougher team for the Chiefs to run on than the Vikings this year. LJ's at his best between the tackles, where the Vikings just so happen to be one of the deepest teams in the league at DT, and feature two Pro Bowlers starting.

Sounds like we chewed up their secondary, though. Hopefully we'll take to the air when the Vikings come to visit.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 11:49 PM
Also, I know you only watched offense with any real expertise, but from one fan to another, tell me what you thought/heard/saw about the defense.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Dude, I didn't watch the defense. At all. They were on another field. It sucked.

Hammock Parties
08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I'm beginning to climb onto the Rod Gardner bandwagon. He looks good.

Direckshun
08-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Rod Gardner doesn't have a bandwagon. He has a rigshaw and he has to pay you to pull it.

morphius
08-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Huard has NEVER been a good preseason QB.
Every year here I wondered why we kept him, he has always looked terrible in preseason.

Sully
08-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Dude, I didn't watch the defense. At all. They were on another field. It sucked.
It's an easy fix for the next time you go to Mankato.
You get there pretty early, and then sit on the top row of the stands. That way you can turn around and see the other fields, as well. I'nm surprised you didn't figure this out.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 10:02 AM
It's an easy fix for the next time you go to Mankato.
You get there pretty early, and then sit on the top row of the stands. That way you can turn around and see the other fields, as well. I'nm surprised you didn't figure this out.

I wouldn't have had a good enough view unless I brought binoculars.

Hootie
08-04-2007, 10:13 AM
He has the talent, and has had a few good NFL seasons.

NCarlsCorner2
08-04-2007, 01:04 PM
Sounds like Huard had a bad outing.

Croyle had a great outing, I thought I heard he was 17-19.

NCarlsCorner2
08-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Huard and Croyle are competing for the job, so in al likelyhood, they rotated much the same as the Vikings' QBs.

In this account, no news on Croyle is probably good news.

Croyle was awesome from what I heard on the radio today.

unothadeal
08-04-2007, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't have had a good enough view unless I brought binoculars.
Are you too good for binoculars?

NCarlsCorner2
08-04-2007, 01:09 PM

Sammie Parker caught everything and was the most impressive WR.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Sammie Parker caught everything and was the most impressive WR.

Yep, he had a good practice. But Rod Gardner has been really consistent for a week now and that catch he made was SPECTACULAR.

NCarlsCorner2
08-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Yep, he had a good practice. But Rod Gardner has been really consistent for a week now and that catch he made was SPECTACULAR.

Yeah, I heard he had a one handed catch.

GarySpFc
08-04-2007, 01:42 PM
It's free. Mostly because I only watched the offense. The separated them so I had to choose. I had a horrible vantage point when the Chiefs' offense moved inside the stadium.

Site is live in a second here. I've got a nice Boomer article and some stuff from Mike Nugent coming, too.

I especially enjoyed your observation of Croyle and Parker. It sounds as if Parker might have redeemed himself. That said, I would like your opinion of Croyle. Is he a future franchise quarterback as Myria, Namath, and Stabler have stated?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Certainly looks that way. He looks great.

Direckshun
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
WTF? Stabler and Namath said Croyle was a surefire franchise QB?

Demonpenz
08-04-2007, 01:51 PM
croyle's talent has never been in question. It his athetisism and his injuries that scare me

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 02:23 PM
– Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen, who has 18 1/2 sacks in the past two seasons, got around left tackle Bryant McKinnie a few times during team drills. McKinnie was participating in his third day of training camp after missing the first nine practices because of a strained muscle. Quarterbacks could not be hit, but Allen put himself in position for at least two sacks.

Love it.

Absolutely love it.

TEX
08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Certainly looks that way. He looks great.

How does he throw the deep ball?

When I saw him play in college, he seemed to just fling it while throwing off his back foot. He also looked that way last year in preseason. Does he look different this year?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
How does he throw the deep ball?

The Chiefs haven't thrown the deep ball much. In fact, I haven't seen Brodie throw one.

When I saw him play in college, he seemed to just fling it while throwing off his back foot. He also looked that way last year in preseason. Does he look different this year?

Not really.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 03:15 PM
the back foot thing is correctable...sucking is not...

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Thing is, Brodie can get away with less than perfect mechanics because of his arm.

Hootie
08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Thing is, Brodie can get away with less than perfect mechanics because of his arm.
Ryan Leaf had a big arm.
Akili Smith had a big arm.
Cade McNown had a big arm.

I'll take an accurate, fundamentally sound Drew Brees type QB over a guy with a cannon arm any day of the week.

Trent Green sucks.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM

he can get away with it in scrimmages....he won't in the real thing....he'll have to work on it....

cdcox
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
The Chiefs haven't thrown the deep ball much. In fact, I haven't seen Brodie throw one.

Dammit, Herm :cuss:

Lack of going deep against the Colts is what allowed them to play their safeties up to contain Johnson. The passing game was all under 15 yards, so again, playing the safties up helps shut that down. We need to spread the field more to keep things open for LJ.

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Ryan Leaf had a big arm.

I'll take an accurate, fundamentally sound Drew Brees type QB over a guy with a cannon arm any day of the week.

Trent Green sucks.

Jesus Christ.

Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, and Cade McNown all had 10-cent heads.

Brodie has moxie in spades.

You've never seen him play, so you might as well quit while you're ahead.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
I think the Chiefs are just saving the deep ball. They can't ignore Hannon's speed.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I would imagine the Chiefs will break Croyle in much like Huard...quick passes, quick reads....an occasional shot down field...

as he shows comfort the play calling will change...

oh yeah, and Hootie is off the charts gay...he's dumb enough to be a Raider fan but for some reason chose to embarrass the Chiefs...

cdcox
08-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I think the Chiefs are just saving the deep ball. They can't ignore Hannon's speed.

Seems like they should be developing it by now. Being able to throw to targets all over the field will help Croyle and his development. Forcing him to select from targets in a crowded zone will lead to interceptions.

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
I would imagine the Chiefs will break Croyle in much like Huard...quick passes, quick reads....an occasional shot down field...

as he shows comfort the play calling will change...

oh yeah, and Hootie is off the charts gay...he's dumb enough to be a Raider fan but for some reason chose to embarrass the Chiefs...

I'm honestly starting to feel sorry for him.

Desperately clinging to the hope that Huard will start.

The closer we get to the start of the season and the announcement that Croyle will be the starter, the more pathetic it gets.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Seems like they should be developing it by now. Being able to throw to targets all over the field will help Croyle and his development. Forcing him to select from targets in a crowded zone will lead to interceptions.

I don't know why it is, but the running backs are catching tons of balls thus far. Last night they got the wide receivers more involved in intermediate (20-25 yards) routes.

I really want to see Brodie open up one.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 03:36 PM

The closer we get to the start of the season and the announcement that Croyle will be the starter, the more pathetic it gets.

wait till we lose our first game because of Croyle....he'll bleed all over this board....

htismaqe
08-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't know why it is, but the running backs are catching tons of balls thus far. Last night they got the wide receivers more involved in intermediate (20-25 yards) routes.

I would imagine they've put an over-emphasis on involving the RB's in the passing game because they were so piss-poor at it last year.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Wait, Hootie still thinks Huard is going to start? He really needs to get out here and see it for himself. Croyle is just so much better. It's not even funny.

tk13
08-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Dammit, Herm :cuss:

Lack of going deep against the Colts is what allowed them to play their safeties up to contain Johnson. The passing game was all under 15 yards, so again, playing the safties up helps shut that down. We need to spread the field more to keep things open for LJ.
Yeah, but some credit has to go to the Colts defense for that, that's totally what they try to prevent. I don't think anybody passed all that successfully downfield against them in the playoffs, too much speed deep, they force everything in front of them.

BigRock
08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Croyle had a QB rating of 132.8 his final year of college and his INT% was the lowest in the history of Alabama. He's an accurate QB with a cannon arm.

cdcox
08-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah, but some credit has to go to the Colts defense for that, that's totally what they try to prevent. I don't think anybody passed all that successfully downfield against them in the playoffs, too much speed deep, they force everything in front of them.

Their S were running TOWARD the LOS all game long. That means we weren't sending anyone into the deep zones to make them play honest. It was an abortion of a game plan.

Bob Dole
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Love it.

Absolutely love it.
How many times was he "in position" last season and couldn't finish?

tk13
08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Their S were running TOWARD the LOS all game long. That means we weren't sending anyone into the deep zones to make them play honest. It was an abortion of a game plan.

They do that though, because those guys can fly. The Colts defense has sucked over the years, but the one thing in their favor is they can all fly, they've always been able to do that. I get to watch them quite a bit, and they always ran guys up into the box, but teams still ran the football all over them. Even that Jacksonville game where they ran for almost 400 yards, nothing they did mattered, they just weren't physically strong enough to compete.

I mean I agree we should've passed more on first down, but our offensive line and LJ were embarrassing in that game, we were physically stronger than that team and we should've exerted that. That's how you beat the Colts, not by getting in a shootout. If we can't start to wear them down that way, we sure aren't gonna beat them by having Kennison and Parker trying to go deep against all their speedy midget LB's and DB's while their pass rush destroyed our tackles. That's what they do, they force you to take those 5-7 yard chunks at a time, I don't think anybody passed downfield all that successfully against them in the playoffs.

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 03:57 PM

how many times did the QB escape Allen and Hali by simply stepping into the pocket because our DT's had no push?

CoMoChief
08-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Croyle had a great outing, I thought I heard he was 17-19.

17-19, for 30yds.

What more can you expect from a Herman Edwards offense?

Stinger
08-04-2007, 03:58 PM

A lot less than our former Middle Linebacker Kawika "the Wiffster" Mitchell . Sorry I still picture him missing wide open QBs ..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Calm relaxing breath....Calm relaxing breath

GarySpFc
08-04-2007, 04:01 PM
WTF? Stabler and Namath said Croyle was a surefire franchise QB?

Yes, as did Myria. He broke all their records at Alabama, and that without the help of an OLine or good receivers. He's also tough, and played with a separated shoulder and completed his passes. One thing I learned about Brodie which really impresses me. The kid doesn't ever want to ever lose....NEVER.

kepp
08-04-2007, 04:04 PM
GC - Any action for Eckwerekwu?

kcxiv
08-04-2007, 04:11 PM
They do that though, because those guys can fly. The Colts defense has sucked over the years, but the one thing in their favor is they can all fly, they've always been able to do that. I get to watch them quite a bit, and they always ran guys up into the box, but teams still ran the football all over them. Even that Jacksonville game where they ran for almost 400 yards, nothing they did mattered, they just weren't physically strong enough to compete.

I mean I agree we should've passed more on first down, but our offensive line and LJ were embarrassing in that game, we were physically stronger than that team and we should've exerted that. That's how you beat the Colts, not by getting in a shootout. If we can't start to wear them down that way, we sure aren't gonna beat them by having Kennison and Parker trying to go deep against all their speedy midget LB's and DB's while their pass rush destroyed our tackles. That's what they do, they force you to take those 5-7 yard chunks at a time, I don't think anybody passed downfield all that successfully against them in the playoffs.Didnt help that we dropped so many damn balls early in the game. That game was just not meant to be won by the Chiefs. how many times did was just **** up? Trent tripping, Missed Field Goal for a chip shot, that sealed the fate of Tynes. Ty Law 2 incerceptions and we could not capitalize on any of that shit.

We just didnt come to play. They were not focused. I dont know if that was Herm, or the guys just got to nervous/scared or what.

GarySpFc
08-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Ryan Leaf had a big arm.

Trent Green sucks.

You may not want to be so quick to dismiss croyle’s NFL potential. After setting passing records in the Big 10, Drew Brees was selected as the guest QB for the 2001 Elite 11 QB camp in California.At the conclusion of the camp, Brees was asked who the best QB there was and responded: “Including me?…it was definately Brodie Croyle”.Of note: Drew Brees was the NFL’s leading passer in 2006 with 4418 yards while leading the saints to NFC championship game and selected for pro-Bowl.Drew Brees is 6-0/209. Croyle is 6-2/206.

GarySpFc
08-04-2007, 04:19 PM

Not really.

That's still to come. Brodie can easily throw the ball 80+ yards. Furthermore, the receiver will not have to wait for a ruptured duck floater like they did with Trent.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 04:20 PM
GC - Any action for Eckwerekwu?

Eck seems to catch a couple passes every practice. One thing I really notice in QB/receiver drills, he seems to be a little slower than guys like Webb and Hannon. But he's been consistent. I kinda like the guy. He made a very impressive leaping catch near the sideline the first day I was watching camp.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Watching last nights practice Croyle was alot better than Huard. But Huard has proven that he can play while Croyle hasn't.

BTW It is cold as shit in RF right now.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 04:33 PM
IF my phone holds up I may try to do some play by play.

The weather is about 60 with alot of wind and it has started to sprinkle a little

GarySpFc
08-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Watching last nights practice Croyle was alot better than Huard. But Huard has proven that he can play while Croyle hasn't.

BTW It is cold as shit in RF right now.

Huard has always been a backup quarterback and will retire that way.

We have a second home in Volgograd, Russia, and it's over 100 here.

TEX
08-04-2007, 04:58 PM
That's still to come. Brodie can easily throw the ball 80+ yards. Furthermore, the receiver will not have to wait for a ruptured duck floater like they did with Trent.

Sure, but can he complete them? The times I've seen Croyle throw deep (last year and college) he just rocked back on his back leg and flung it without any touch - he just chunked it. And I'm not just talking about the very deep ball either. I know we won't air it out that much, but I'd like to think we have a reasonably good chance of a big play if we do. Course, if we show it sometimes it will serve to losen things up even without that much success...

TEX
08-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Huard has always been a backup quarterback and will retire that way.

We have a second home in Volgograd, Russia, and it's over 100 here.

Maybe, but when he's been given a chance to start for an extended period of time, he proved to be a "gamer." I remember people saying that about Ganon too. Now I know they have 2 different styles, I'm simply comparing that fact that they were considered back-ups - that's it.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 05:07 PM
The players are trickling out on the field.

The O appears to be going on the main field

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Medlock was perfect on all of his FG attempts in warmups. He has a pretty strong leg

LOCOChief
08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Sure, but can he complete them? The times I've seen Croyle throw deep (last year and college) he just rocked back on his back leg and flung it without any touch - he just chunked it. And I'm not just talking about the very deep ball either. I know we won't air it out that much, but I'd like to think we have a reasonably good chance of a big play if we do. Course, if we show it sometimes it will serve to losen things up even without that much success...

2,400+ passing yrds in 2005 (tide best) 132 rating. Nobody has ever said he couldn't throw the ball, and it's sounds like he gets rid of it quick too.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 05:51 PM
ok here we go

Vikes stuffing our run game

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Ross with a long run on the outside

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 05:55 PM
another nice run by ross

Skip Towne
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Is this premium content?

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
11 on 11 now

Nice pressure up the middle by D caused incomplete by Jackson

Huard sacked

incomplete by huard

huard complete to allan

Easy 6
08-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Interesting news coming out of this...

Croyle is looking good with a high %, albeit on short passes...but we know he go deep.

Shammy Parker might be coming around, now lemme see some CONSISTENCY.

Gardner's acting like he's not ready to hit the Laz-E-Boy yet, if he can finally summon up a rookie year type outing...he could be a steal.

Maybe we can start calling Webb..."Twinkle Toes".

It sounds like Terry has been a real disappointment overall so far, that sux, i had very high hopes for him...but there IS time for him to square it away. If not, maybe Svitek can step up, IMO its WAY too early to start talking about Kyle the Tude.

From the sounds of it, Huard simply isnt a good practice guy...yet knows how to tighten up for the real deal. But Hooties in Deep Space 9 thinking he will start.

And of course the D is locking WR's down & we are getting pressure...this unit is the least of my worries.

IMO, the signs look great so far...doubters BEWARE.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:05 PM
first play by brodie he tripped and got sacked, 2nd play incomplete, 3rd complete to Brad from mu, 4th incomplete.

Brodie though is playing with 2nd team

backup oline sucks

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Huard Td to gonzo and then a fight breaks out 77 was involved

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:09 PM
kolby smith with a td run

Direckshun
08-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Huard Td to gonzo and then a fight breaks out 77 was involved
McIntosh getting nasty. :evil:

FAX
08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Great work, Mr. dirk digler.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 06:16 PM
11 on 11 now

Nice pressure up the middle by D caused incomplete by Jackson

Huard sacked

incomplete by huard

huard complete to allan

thanks for the updates

the Talking Can
08-04-2007, 06:17 PM
kolby smith with a td run

long? short?

Easy 6
08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
McIntosh getting nasty. :evil:

I hope he has a mean streak a mile wide.

OWN!!! that position MAC!!!

Skip Towne
08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I like the idea of having two competent QB's.

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
long? short?

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Medlock for 30 = good

34 = good

36 = good

40 = good with a bank shot

43 = no good

45 = good

all full rush. couple of high snaps especially on the 45 yd one

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:33 PM
full 11 on 11

huard complete for 15 to bennett

incomplete
sack
bennett run for 3
smith run for 3
brody 10yds to #48

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:35 PM
1st team d

sack
#28 run for 15
another run up the middle for 6-7
pass for 10 yds

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:39 PM
2 sacks in a row for 1st team D

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:40 PM
damn vikes td against the 1st team d from the 20

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:41 PM
damn another sack by 1st team d

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
brody's 1st pass = INT

dirk digler
08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
**** 2 fights in a row Herm calls practice 1 1/2 hrs early.

****ING VIKES!!

rad
08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
brody's 1st pass = INT

OH NOOOOO!

BRODIEEEEE SUUUUUUUUUUUUXXXXXXX!!!!11111ONEONEELEVEN

Easy 6
08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
F@ck those chowderhead vikes, just wait 'til week 3...we'll disembowel'em.

Halfway through the 3rd, they'll be following us around with their finger in our beltloop...we'll give'em a cute name like "Cheryl" or "Jenny".

Arrowhead will make "Tarvaris" cringe.

morphius
08-04-2007, 07:23 PM

I fear this is going to be a theme

TEX
08-04-2007, 07:32 PM
2,400+ passing yrds in 2005 (tide best) 132 rating. Nobody has ever said he couldn't throw the ball, and it's sounds like he gets rid of it quick too.

Stats - YIKES!
I trust my own eyes...

crazycoffey
08-04-2007, 07:34 PM
I fear this is going to be a theme

enter ReeRun's "buttsex football" comments..... in 3...2....1.....

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Croyle not that good tonight. Run offense better. Updating coming!

Met Stevieray and the great Lenny Dawson.

Wile_E_Coyote
08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
enter ReeRun's "buttsex football" comments..... in 3...2....1.....

I think he tickets to Elton John

FAX
08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Herm pulled the plug early because of fighting?

Unbelievable. Are we supposed to handshake and curtsey our way to the Super Bowl?

FAX

TEX
08-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Herm pulled the plug early because of fighting?

Unbelievable. Are we supposed to handshake and curtsey our way to the Super Bowl?

FAX

No, but it just gets old. One year we refused to even scrimmage the Vikes because of it and numerous late hits. If I'm not mistaken, one cheap shot ended a guys career - a TE I believe.

FAX
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
No, but it just gets old. One year we refused to even scrimmage the Vikes because of it and numerous late hits. If I'm not mistaken, one cheap shot ended a guys career - a TE I believe.

I know, I know. You're right, of course, Mr. TEX. I just wish we could have kicked their asses before we left.

FAX

TEX
08-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I know, I know. You're right, of course, Mr. TEX. I just wish we could have kicked their asses before we left.

FAX

I like how you think. :evil:

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Updating the site now.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Mere seconds separate you mortals from my recap.

Direckshun
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
You know, I wish someone would give us a statistical recording of what went on.

Because all I've seen are Chiefs' accounts and Vikings' accounts, and they're like night and day. The UW-RF site is updating their page, and they've completely neglected to tell the reader that Croyle threw an INT.

It's a shame that people are so nervous about their own teams that they feel they have to gloss things over to be avoid telling the reader anything he doesn't want to hear.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 08:46 PM
BOOM!

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/664806.html

Sully
08-04-2007, 08:48 PM
It didn't end his career, as he was never that great, but it was Billy Baber.

Direckshun
08-04-2007, 08:51 PM
BOOM!

Thanks for the update.

Didn't you say the run game went a little better today?

Hammock Parties
08-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the update.

Didn't you say the run game went a little better today?

Yep. They ran to the outside pretty well, too.

Logical
08-04-2007, 09:14 PM
BOOM!

So you don't have to go to that site here it is:

QUICK HITS –

The Chiefs practiced without Tamba Hali (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980128) and Jared Allen (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980078) this evening. As a result, the first team defensive line got little pressure on the quarterback – although Turk McBride (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2640880) did impress on one play when he drove a Minnesota lineman deep into the backfield with a powerful surge. I only saw the defense for a few plays, but it’s clear the Chiefs need both of their starting defensive ends in the worst way.

Linebacker William Kershaw started in the middle in Napoleon Harris' absence.

Head coach Herm Edwards continues to rotate his quarterbacks. Tonight, Brodie Croyle (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980118) worked with the second team while Damon Huard (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980132) played with the starters – a contrast to the Mankato scrimmage.

OK, so maybe it did happen in warmups, but every time I watch KC’s offense, tight end Mike Pinkard (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=3145343) gives me a reason to stand up and clap. Tonight, while the backs, receivers and tight ends caught passes from the quarterbacks, when it was Pinkard’s turn, he slipped and fell on the wet turf. He still managed to snag the ball and secure it while sitting on his backside.

The Chiefs rotated their wide receivers with the first-team offense. Eddie Kennison (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980137) and Samie Parker (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980147) started out, and were replaced by Chris Hannon (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980130) and Jeff Webb (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980184).

Both teams were edgy tonight, as several fights threatened to break out until Chiefs right tackle Kyle Turley got smacked in the head around 8 PM by an unidentified Viking. Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards anticipated a scuffle would occur and called the practice off immediately.

PLAYS OF THE DAY

Tony Gonzalez (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980124) got a free release off the line of scrimmage, headed downfield and cut into the middle of the end zone as Damon Huard cocked his arm to fire. Twenty yards later KC’s All-Pro tight end leaped into the air for a high pass and hauled it in for a touchdown, almost uncontested, to the delight of several hundred Chiefs fans in the stands.

Brent Little might be a longshot to make Kansas City’s roster, but for one play on a cold Wisconsin night in August, he looked like an NFL receiver. Little got a clean release off the line of scrimmage, headed downfield and stopped on a dime as quarterback Brodie Croyle fired a high pass in his direction. Little jumped, plucked the ball from the air and endured a hard hit from a Vikings defensive back, holding on for a 20-yard gain.

WHO’S HOT

Damon Huard. For the first practice in a while, he looked like the best quarterback on KC’s roster. Huard hit 11 of 14 passes tonight, and completed the touchdown to Gonzalez (who dropped another Huard pass). Most importantly, he wasn’t intercepted.

Damon Huard’s favorite target. Kris Wilson (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980194) hauled in five passes against the Vikings, and though they were short, that’s the variety of receptions he’ll see in the regular season anyway.

In the late-season chill of Kansas City, the Chiefs will need a reliable kicker. Tonight, facing blustery winds and temperatures around 50 degrees, kicker Justin Medlock (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2591961) hit five of six kicks, and made it look easy. KC’s rookie kicker hit from 27, 32, 37 and 42 yards twice, missing once.

The first team offensive line wasn’t as good in pass protection tonight, but they improved noticeably in the run game, in direct contrast to the scrimmage in Mankato. I felt the Chiefs first and second-team offensive lines won the great majority of the snaps in 9-on-7 drills.

WHO’S NOT

Maybe it was the cold, or maybe he was just due, but Brodie Croyle wasn’t on top of his game tonight. The second-year quarterback completed just eight of 16 passes with one interception and had another incompletion that could have easily been picked off. He looked slightly hesitant in the pocket at times, had a pass batted down at the line of scrimmage and fell down on his first snap. We’ll see how he comes back on Monday.

The Chiefs returned to their regularly scheduled program of not getting the wide receivers involved. Only Brad Little and Brad Ekwerekwu (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2706217) caught passes tonight, and few balls were even thrown in the direction of the others. I may have a heart attack when the Chiefs finally attempt a deep ball.

Mother nature. Windy conditions, a slick field and light rain greeted the Chiefs and Vikings this evening, not to mention the fans, who have been accustomed to temperatures in the 80s for over a week now. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

OVERHEARD:

“Planes, Trains and Automobiles.” – Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, cracking a joke about players traveling to the scrimmages the last two days.

SITTING OUT:

Chris Bober (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980103), Priest Holmes (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980205), Jason Dunn (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2980199), Nate Harris, Napoleon Harris (http://chiefs.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=2981092), Jared Allen sat out practice. Napoleon Harris was excused for personal reasons

Simply Red
08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Also, I hung out with Stevieray and stood in the presence of several Chiefs while my associates interviewed them. Tony Richardson is bigger than you think. Will Svitek isn't really happy about not getting a real shot at right tackle. Also stood RIGHT BEHIND Zygi Wilf on the sideline.
You see "X-Factor?"

milkman
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
You see "X-Factor?"

The Rams were there too?

Simply Red
08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
The Rams were there too?
No silly, the poster: "X-Factor." He is a really nice guy.

milkman
08-04-2007, 09:57 PM
No silly, the poster: "X-Factor." He is a really nice guy.

Oh, you mean the useless **** that only comes aroud here when he wants something?

Hootie
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM

I don't care who starts...

The other day, with all the positive reports, I was starting to like Croyle for the job...

but then GoChiefs posted something about how Brodie is so good he doesn't have to have good mechanics and then I realized I was getting excited about a 3rd round 2nd year player that has 7 career attempts in the NFL (2 INT's)...

GarySpFc
08-05-2007, 04:22 AM

The other day, with all the positive reports, I was starting to like Croyle for the job...

but then GoChiefs posted something about how Brodie is so good he doesn't have to have good mechanics and then I realized I was getting excited about a 3rd round 2nd year player that has 7 career attempts in the NFL (2 INT's)...

I think you will find Brodie has excellent mechanics.

GarySpFc
08-05-2007, 04:50 AM

I read a couple of places those two interceptions were the result of Werm instructing Brodie to throw the ball up with the hope of one of the Chiefs catching it.

mdstu
08-05-2007, 05:40 AM
My first training camp trip sucked ass. Drive six hours, pay fifteen dollars, sit in the rain and cold, and the bastards quit after one hour.

I feel like I went to a Gun n Roses concert and Axl just walked off the stage. Guess I'll chalk this up to lessons learned.

Saw a couple promising plays, but all in all I would have to say not a great day for the Chiefs. Maybe it was our line, but the Vikes Dline was putting on serious pressure.

htismaqe
08-05-2007, 06:51 AM

Jared Allen?

Methinks you're confused.

htismaqe
08-05-2007, 06:56 AM

It was a WR, Damion Douglas...

htismaqe
08-05-2007, 06:57 AM
It didn't end his career, as he was never that great, but it was Billy Baber.

Damion Douglas had his career ended by the Vikes.

htismaqe
08-05-2007, 06:57 AM

ROFL

And yet you got verifiably WET about Huard.

milkman
08-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Damion Douglas had his career ended by the Vikes.

Who?

If you never had a career, can it be said that a career was ended?