PDA

View Full Version : Creating a standard salary.

Rain Man
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
If the NFL went to a standard base salary for all players, and that base salary varied by position, what do you think the salary should be by position. Assume that you are dividing 100 percent of the salary up into the 25 starting positions. In other words, if everyone gets an equal salary, each position gets 4 percent.

Base your price on the punishment the player makes, the demands of the position, the average longevity, the scarcity of talent, and anything else you deem appropriate as long as it's not related to race, gender, sexuality, religion, or national origin.

Here's my take:

HB: 9%
FB: 4%
QB: 8.5%
WR: 3%
WR: 3%
TE: 3.5%
LT: 5%
LG: 3.5%
C: 4%
RG: 3.5%
RT: 4%
K: 1.5%
P: 1%
KR/PR (one guy): 1%
FS: 3%
SS: 3%
LCB: 3%
RCB: 3%
SOLB: 4%
WOLB: 4%
MLB: 5%
LDE: 4.5%
RDE: 4.5%
DT: 5.5%
NT/DT: 6%

beer bacon
08-03-2007, 08:18 PM
FS and SS earning the same amount? What NFL world do you live in!?!

ChiefsfaninPA
08-03-2007, 08:19 PM
I like most of the percentages but I don't think anyone would allow kickers to receive a full percentage of anything. Maybe half a percent.

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
That's a pretty good breakdown, although I'm not certain I'd give the HB more than the QB, Mr. Rain Man. Also, some of the NT/DT money could be shaved and sent over to the LT, in my opinion.

FAX

Phobia
08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
I want any NFL salary modification to be based on performance and playing time. There's no reason at all that any player warming the bench should be making more in 2006 than somebody like, say Devin Hester.

For instance, if a kick returned for TD is worth $500,000 then $100k should be split evenly between the 11 players on the field. The block that springs the returner should be worth a significant percentage along with any other critical blocks during the play. The returner himself should be entitled to the remainder.

The 11 guys who gave up the TD should have to fund a portion of the $500k, just to make every play interesting.

Skip Towne
08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm all for a standard salary scale in whatever form. It would eliminate agents and all of the holdouts.

FAX
08-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I want any NFL salary modification to be based on performance and playing time. There's no reason at all that any player warming the bench should be making more in 2006 than somebody like, say Devin Hester.

For instance, if a kick returned for TD is worth $500,000 then $100k should be split evenly between the 11 players on the field. The block that springs the returner should be worth a significant percentage along with any other critical blocks during the play. The returner himself should be entitled to the remainder.

The 11 guys who gave up the TD should have to fund a portion of the $500k, just to make every play interesting.

Fabulous idea. Absolutely fabulous, Mr. Phobia. A commission schedule set forth on every play.

A strip and fumble recovery should be worth $200,000 for the defender and it should come out of the fumbler's pocket, for example. Plus, the fumbler should have to buy every season ticket holder a beer.

FAX

HemiEd
08-03-2007, 09:00 PM

And the game shouldn't end until the losing side is out of players with money.

jAZ
08-03-2007, 09:35 PM
HB: 9%
QB: 8.5%

???

You would pay a RB more than a QB?

Skip Towne
08-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't get too precise on what positions pay what. 90% of these guys would be UPS drivers without the NFL.

Phobia
08-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't get too precise on what positions pay what. 90% of these guys would be UPS drivers without the NFL.
Nah. At least 40% would be DirectTV installers.

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 10:07 PM
I do not believe a slot for all players, just the ones that are rookies.

It should be slotted. I hate having a rookie that might not even make it in the NFL making 40 million while a proven player (at any position makes 10 times less after playing in the NFL for 3 years)

If you worked at company X for three years and proved yourself, would you be happy with a new hire making 10 times what you do without proving themselves?

I bet not.

Results should be the deciding factor AFTER the rookie season. IMO.

I am old fart but still have reasoning skills.
I hope.

Skip Towne
08-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Well, OK.

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 10:15 PM

or at least craiglist tool thief posers.

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Skip just got
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/buyingguy/owned1.jpg

Smed1065
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
My second iggy goes to out to someone that has -1000000000000 football knowledge and is a troll. I did not mind it during the off season but football is here. Bye ChokeAroo, Raiders will appreciate your knowledge I bet.

You made the top 5 for losers and football knowledge.

ChiefaRoo
08-03-2007, 10:27 PM
My second iggy goes to out to someone that has -1000000000000 football knowledge and is a troll. I did not mind it during the off season but football is here. Bye ChokeAroo, Raiders will appreciate your knowledge I bet.

Who are you again? You're such a dainty little princess smeg.

By the way there's nothing to talk about other than than the practice/scrimmage. I'm all for talking football but it's hard to do with limited info. Once the pre-season gets going and the TIVO's get cranked up then we can all evaluate.

PS - You can call me any name in the book but don't call me a Faider fan. That's just low.

Skip Towne
08-03-2007, 10:32 PM

And another Chiefaroo fan checks in. Hahahahahaha. What a dunce.

DomerNKC
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
smells a little communistic to me.

cdcox
08-03-2007, 11:56 PM
An interesting question, even though I don't agree with a standard scale by position because it doesn't account for how well a player plays that position.

Nevertheless, I have calculated how the NFL values these positions based on draft order (see details below):

HB: 15.5%
FB: 0.3%
QB: 14.2%
WR: 4.8%
WR: 4.8%
TE: 5.4%
LT: 3.3%
LG: 1.1%
C: 1.7%
RG: 1.1%
RT: 3.3%
K: 0.4%
P: 0.1%
KR/PR (one guy): 0%*
FS: 6.9%
SS: 4.6%
LCB: 4.2%
RCB: 4.2%
SOLB: 3.7%
WOLB: 3.7%
MLB: 5.3%
LDE: 3.5%
RDE: 3.5%
DT: 2.2%
NT/DT: 2.2%

The first surprise is RB>QB this is a little misleading. RB burn up faster than QB so you have to draft them more often. The above numbers should be adjusted for average career length of a starter at the position.

The second surprise is Safties > CB. That just shocks me, but probably should not when you consider the number of teams using a cover 2 and how the rules have castrated CB play.

Thrid surprise is MLB/ILB > OLB. Sure the MLB is the most important spot in the 4-3, but a lot of your play makers and pass rushers come from the OLB spot.

Fourth surprise is TE > WR. I think TE are being over-valued in the NFL right now due to the TG and Gates effect.

Methology in next post.

cdcox
08-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Methodology (only for the geeks):

I compiled a list of the players drafted in the first three rounds over the last 3 years. I chose the first 3 rounds because teams are looking for eventual starters in those rounds. Latter rounds are for backups and special team players. I used the last 3 years to get enough data to even out draft-class variations, while being recent enough to capture current trends.

I then assigned a value to each player based on the NFL Draft value chart. This goes from 3000 points in the first round down to 116 points for the end of the 3rd round. I then totaled the number of draft value points for each position over the 3 year period. I then made some additional adjutments based on the fact that you field 1 QB but 2 guards, etc. I also made the following groupings:

MLB = MLB + ILB
DT = DT + NT

There was no way to separate Left/Right Tackle, Guard, DT, DE, OLB, or CB.

The numbers are a little skewed since the above positional alignments are based on standard proset offense and 4-3 defense. Many times an offense lines up with 2 RB or 2 TE or 3 WR instead of a FB. Also there are 3-4 defenses and nickle packages. These would slightly change the value assignments.