PDA

View Full Version : Bra Smif doin it all for the JETS

Pitt Gorilla
08-03-2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/30/sports/football/30jets.html?n=Top%2fNews%2fSports%2fPro%20Football%2fNational%20Football%20League%2fNew%20York%20Jet s&_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1186201065-7jHV1CoWvNs3QLc1AOKUzA

Under Center, Out Wide, and Deep to Receive

By TEDDY KIDER
Published: July 30, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y., July 29 — Brad Smith plays more positions in two hours of training camp practice than most N.F.L. players would consider attempting in their careers. From catching passes with the starting receivers to returning kickoffs to taking snaps under center, Smith is the ever-evolving man on the Jets’ roster.

Brad Smith, who in his second season with the Jets, plays quarterback, running back, receiver and special teams.

The most observant Jets fans quietly tell their friends that he can do everything. But most probably do not even realize the frequency with which he alternates between his red and white No. 16 jerseys.

“Last year, we gave him a lot of different roles, and he did well with all those different roles — whether it was special teams, he played some running back, he’s played some receiver, he played some quarterback,” Jets Coach Eric Mangini said. “And I liked where he was going with all those things.”

Smith studied so many different positions that he did not notice he was listed on this year’s roster as a quarterback until reporters told him Saturday.

Although Smith said Sunday that he had probably practiced most at receiver this year, Mangini said on the first day of training camp that Smith would be in contention for the backup quarterback position.

Smith, a 23-year-old in his second season out of Missouri, said his favorite position was “where I can make plays.”

As a rookie drafted in the fourth round, Smith played in all 16 regular-season games last season and started in three — two as a running back and one as a receiver. He finished with 103 rushing yards, 61 receiving yards and 10 tackles on special teams.

Smith would not say what position he would most like to play or where his future might lie. But if the players who have influenced him are any indication, Smith’s heart is at quarterback. He said he most liked watching Randall Cunningham when he was younger, and more recently, has enjoyed watching Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick and Chad Pennington.

Smith was a mobile and athletic quarterback for four years at Missouri, where he became the first player in N.C.A.A. history to pass for 8,000 yards and rush for 4,000 yards. He finished his career ranked fourth in total offense with 13,088 yards.

Mangini asked Smith to prepare to be a receiver after the Jets selected him with the 103rd pick of the 2006 draft.

“I never gave up on it at all,” Smith said about playing quarterback. “I felt I had the ability to do it, but I put that to the side. I did what I was asked to do and do whatever it is to try to get better.”

Pennington said Smith had the demeanor and silent confidence to be a successful N.F.L. quarterback. But even as the Jets list Smith at quarterback, it seems that Mangini will continue to use him at many other positions.

Smith changes positions and drills with such regularity that it sometimes seems as if he is throwing passes to himself. He is a one-man microcosm of the overall balance that the Jets hope to have on offense, with Pennington, Thomas Jones at running back, and receivers like Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery.

Smith, who Mangini said was the team’s off-season most valuable player, just may be the spark the Jets need.

“He’ll definitely have a group of plays each week,” Mangini said. “He’s such a change-of-pace-type player that other teams are going to have to prepare.”

He added, “Now, at any given point, you can say, ‘Brad, go in and run this play.’ ”

Frazod
08-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Sure wish we'd got him. :(

Thig Lyfe
08-03-2007, 11:15 PM

But we have Casey Printers!

M I RITE GUYZ?

RealSNR
08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Sure wish we'd got him. :(Yep. Herm's an offensive genious and would surely use Smith in this way :rolleyes:

Ebolapox
08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
sure, and if we had him, we could run the option...

Bowser
08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
sure, and if we had him, we could run the option...

Shit, he's probably better than every receiver on our roster not named Kennison.

RealSNR
08-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Shit, he's probably better than every receiver on our roster not named Kennison.And apparently Boomer Grigsby

Ebolapox
08-04-2007, 12:04 AM
Shit, he's probably better than every receiver on our roster not named Kennison.

how does he compare to scanlon though?

Bowser
08-04-2007, 12:08 AM
how does he compare to scanlon though?

Scanlon is amused by his presence.

Ebolapox
08-04-2007, 12:13 AM

in an iron sheik, 'break his back, make him humble, f*ck his ass' sort of way?

Crashride
08-04-2007, 05:09 AM
in an iron sheik, 'break his back, make him humble, f*ck his ass' sort of way?

Scanlon would only have to give him the camel clutch

08-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Brad Smith has been great, thanks Mizzou fans! :thumb:

I liked him as a receiver and a running back last year. who knows what Mangini has planned for him. he's like a secret weapon.

08-04-2007, 05:29 AM
SUPER BRAD: SMITH SHOWS JETS HE CAN DO IT ALL
By MARK CANNIZZARO
Brad Smith
Brad Smith
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

August 4, 2007 -- See the talented second-year player make one acrobatic catch after another as a receiver, beating defensive backs with twice the NFL experience he has.

See the player excel on special teams, catching punts and weaving his way up the field past the oncoming players on the coverage units, whisking past them virtually untouched.

See him on kick coverage teams, tackling dangerous returners before they can turn it up the field. See him take handoffs as a running back.

And to think, he's a quarterback.

Brad Smith can do it all.

In practices, when he's playing receiver or special teams he wears his usual white offensive practice jersey. When he's at quarterback, though, he dons the requisite red jersey, a signal to the onrushing defensive players not to take his head off with an unnecessary hit.

Truth is, what Smith should be wearing is a green Superman cape with a Jets logo on the back.

What makes his story particularly compelling is when Smith was drafted by the Jets in the fourth round in 2006, he was told he'd be working at receiver, special teams and some running back.

He was told to squelch his inner quarterback thoughts and concentrate on his new positions.

After watching him do some intriguing things at quarterback in spot duty last season, Eric Mangini did some thinking in the offseason and decided to let Smith re-open that door to his inner quarterback. And so Smith is now listed on the Jets' roster as a quarterback.

"It's pretty amazing for a guy to be able to handle everything he's handled,'' Chad Pennington said. "He came in as a rookie and was asked to learn the receiver position after playing quarterback his whole life, and he made a really good transition. It's a compliment to him.''

Mangini sees infinite possibilities with regard to using Smith as a quarterback.

"It was more a function of being able to expand his package and be able to expand what people have to prepare for with Brad,'' Mangini said. "If you just have two or three plays a game that he can run, then that's really two or three reps per practice that your opponent has to work on.

"It's the ability to add more pressure and more things to prepare for our opponent. We ask Brad to do a lot of things between work on special teams, receiver and quarterback. He's created that opportunity and we want to give it to him.''

Smith first really opened Mangini's eyes as a quarterback in the Jets' final preseason game last year against the Eagles.

"We literally threw him in the Philadelphia game with about 20 minutes of work at the team hotel [the day before the game],'' Mangini said. "We said, 'Hey, Brad, you're going to play quarterback tomorrow.' He drove us back and we scored [the Jets won 20-17]. So we figured if we put more than 20 minutes into it, it might work out.''

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

StcChief
08-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Good for Smith. Don't worry about it now

CHIEF4EVER
08-04-2007, 06:02 AM

LMAO

If you ask Rich Scanlon what time it is, he always says, "Two seconds till." After you ask, "Two seconds to what?" he pile drives you into the ground.

HemiEd
08-04-2007, 06:24 AM

Who?

chagrin
08-04-2007, 07:07 AM

That would require creativity and vision

CoMoChief
08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
For what? He's not a pro QB. The guy can't pass for shit. He makes Vick look like Payton Manning.

kstater
08-04-2007, 07:51 AM
For what? He's not a pro QB. The guy can't pass for shit. He makes Vick look like Payton Manning.

True, but can he train a dog to fight?

pikesome
08-04-2007, 07:54 AM
True, but can he train a dog to fight?

From the sound of it Vick couldn't do that very well either.

Reerun_KC
08-04-2007, 08:13 AM
Can he run off Tackle or up the centers ass 30 times a game?

IF not he would be of no use to the chiefs.

Sully
08-04-2007, 08:13 AM
As a huge Mizzou fan, I agree. He was a horrible passer in college.
Maybe if he lines u under center, it will give him better timing, but he had horrible accuracy.

CoMoChief
08-04-2007, 08:37 AM
As a huge Mizzou fan, I agree. He was a horrible passer in college.
Maybe if he lines u under center, it will give him better timing, but he had horrible accuracy.

I agree. I love Mizzou football. Not only did he have horrible accuracy but his arm wasn't strong at all. He is strictly a running QB.

Bowser
08-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Mizzou always ran that wide open 5 receiver set. With his athletic ability, I'm sure the coaches told him that if his first or second reads weren't open, run with it.

Besides, I don't think the Jets are going to ask him to impersonate Peyton Manning. But I would still take him in a heartbeat for his athletic ability alone.

CoMoChief
08-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Mizzou always ran that wide open 5 receiver set. With his athletic ability, I'm sure the coaches told him that if his first or second reads weren't open, run with it.

Besides, I don't think the Jets are going to ask him to impersonate Peyton Manning. But I would still take him in a heartbeat for his athletic ability alone.

And in Herm's run run pass offense, where would he fit?

TEX
08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Can he run off Tackle or up the centers ass 30 times a game?

IF not he would be of no use to the chiefs.

That would be funny if it wasn't the truth.

Pitt Gorilla
08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I agree. I love Mizzou football. Not only did he have horrible accuracy but his arm wasn't strong at all. He is strictly a running QB.
Not exactly true. Brad had troubles with accuracy, but his arm strength was never in question.