PDA

View Full Version : Our Gas stove

Dunit35
08-04-2007, 11:52 PM
So we moved in to this house and the gas stove looks fairly old and it was dirty. Tuesday I attempted to clean the oven out and five minutes into it the smoke alarm went off, with no smoke in the air. I didn't smell gas or anything. So I just shut it off and didn't think anything about it. Today my fiance tried to use the oven and the same thing happened again. She said she kinda smelled gas (but the scent was very strong). What's wrong with it? I've heard it could be carbon manoxide.

How do I shut the gas valve off on it? Whatever the problem is, it obviously isn't safe and we're not using it until we find out what's wrong.

SPchief
08-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Do you rent or own?

Dunit35
08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
rent.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-05-2007, 12:26 AM
rent.

Call your landlord in the morning and get his ass over there to deal with it.

SPchief
08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
rent.

Call your landlord asap.

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:29 AM
What do you guys think the problem is? I cant find anything on the internet about the problem.

SPchief
08-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Call your landlord in the morning and get his ass over there to deal with it.

I wouldn't even wait until the morning. Don't **** with gas.

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't even wait until the morning. Don't **** with gas.

I don't smell gas and didn't smell it when I cleaned the oven. She said she kinda thought she smelt a little bit of a gas smell. But once the oven shut off she couldn't smell anything.

SPchief
08-05-2007, 12:31 AM
What do you guys think the problem is? I cant find anything on the internet about the problem.

I'm not sure to be honest. But before trying to figure out what the problem is, 1. shut the gas off to the whole place and 2. call your landlord.

luv
08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
We had employees getting headaches once. We checked out AC. I forget what gas it was that it was leaking, but it was scentless. Not all gas smells (why does that sound bad...lol).

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure to be honest. But before trying to figure out what the problem is, 1. shut the gas off to the whole place and 2. call your landlord.

What the smoke alarm is saying that if the beep is a pulsing sound or something then combustion is in the air. Is combustion smoke or what?

Phobia
08-05-2007, 12:37 AM
1. Your smoke alarm doesn't detect natural gas or Carbon dioxide.
2. Natural gas has an additive that smells so leaks can be detected.

Chances are you have a hyperactive smoke detector.

Your landlord will charge you if you leave that stove dirty when you move out. The least he/she could do is give you a clean stove when you moved in.

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
1. Your smoke alarm doesn't detect natural gas or Carbon dioxide.
2. Natural gas has an additive that smells so leaks can be detected.

Chances are you have a hyperactive smoke detector.

Your landlord will charge you if you leave that stove dirty when you move out. The least he/she could do is give you a clean stove when you moved in.

You don't think it's weird that it goes off only when we tried to use the oven? Her mom got carbon monoxide poisoning once so she's scared.

I already cleaned the stove, our landlord is a straight bitch. The stove was horrible looking before I cleaned it.

Phobia
08-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Unless you have a special carbon monoxide detector, your smoke detector will not react to the stuff. I wouldn't sweat it. Turn the stove off and sleep. Resolve it tomorrow.

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Unless you have a special carbon monoxide detector, your smoke detector will not react to the stuff. I wouldn't sweat it. Turn the stove off and sleep. Resolve it tomorrow.

It doesn't really bother me much, but the fiance wants it figured out quick...I do as she says....or I get cut off.

SPchief
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM

Alot of people are putting in carbon monoxide detectors nowadays. I know my last apartment in Springtown had one, and when I bought this house it had one. But you are the resident contractor so I'll defer to you. I'm just one to not screw around with gas.

SPchief
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
It doesn't really bother me much, but the fiance wants it figured out quick...I do as she says....or I get cut off.

heh

luv
08-05-2007, 12:50 AM
You don't think it's weird that it goes off only when we tried to use the oven? Her mom got carbon monoxide poisoning once so she's scared.

I already cleaned the stove, our landlord is a straight bitch. The stove was horrible looking before I cleaned it.
My smoke alarm at my old apartment would go off almost every time I cooked something with the oven at 400 degrees. No smoke. Heat, maybe?

luv
08-05-2007, 12:51 AM
You do know you're not married yet, right?

Phobia
08-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Alot of people are putting in carbon monoxide detectors nowadays. I know my last apartment in Springtown had one, and when I bought this house it had one. But you are the resident contractor so I'll defer to you. I'm just one to not screw around with gas.

Well, if he ceases use of the oven then carbon monoxide won't be a problem. If there was a gas issue he'd definitely smell it. That smell is unmistakable. I still say hyperactive smoke detector.

Phobia
08-05-2007, 12:53 AM
My smoke alarm at my old apartment would go off almost every time I cooked something with the oven at 400 degrees. No smoke. Heat, maybe?

Heat detectors are generally equipped with a melt trigger and are good for one use.

Smoke detectors don't necessarily need billowing black clouds of smoke to set them off.

Dunit35
08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, if he ceases use of the oven then carbon monoxide won't be a problem. If there was a gas issue he'd definitely smell it. That smell is unmistakable. I still say hyperactive smoke detector.

When they turned on the gas they had to come back a few hours later due to a leak. I'll never mistake that smell again.

cdcox
08-05-2007, 07:32 AM
What Phobia said. Overactive smoke detector, which goes off even when you can't see smoke.

Cleaning the oven may help.

Baby Lee
08-05-2007, 07:40 AM
What Phobia said. Overactive smoke detector, which goes off even when you can't see smoke.

Yeah, some are especially attuned to, for lack of a better term, hot dust. I know every time I turn my heat on in the fall for the first time the alarm will go off because dust had settled on the heating elements over the summer, and then gets circulated.

the Talking Can
08-05-2007, 07:43 AM
i recommend using a match to see what is going on inside your oven...

Skip Towne
08-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Is the pilot light lit? If not, light it to see if that helps. It should be in a compartment at the bottom of the stove.

Bugeater
08-05-2007, 08:12 AM

Yep, ours is the same way. I have to take the battery out of it every time we use the self-cleaning cycle on our oven. It doesn't take much to set it off.

FAX
08-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Dang, Mr. Dunit35. What kind of house is this? First spiders, now unexplained alarms going off?

Did you move to Amityville?

FAX

Halfcan
08-05-2007, 10:08 AM
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW IT IS GOING TO BLOW UP!!!!!!!!!!!